PDA

View Full Version : Loss of internet/email connection

Graham RM1
08-07-2004, 12:51
I found yesterday when I turned my home pc on that I could not access email or the internet.

Tried resetting the set top box which made no difference.

Eventually got frustrated enough to ring NTL. After 20 mins or so on hold..............

they said that there were not any problems.

I then went through a number of setting checks with NTL i.e. IP config which returned the correct IP address. Also ping test which was successful.

Tried disabling eth firewall which made no difference.

Tried using a proxy as instructed by NTL which did not work.

The connection had been working fine previously and I had not installed any new programs or updates within the last few days.

However, I was asked by NTL to use a previous restore point of a week ago. This made no difference either!!

The NTL guy told me to re-install IE.

I am reluctant to do this as nothing on the system has been changed and Outlook doesn't work either so he will probably want me to re-install that as well.

Does anyone know of a connection problem that NTL have not acknowledged for the RM11 area??

I canââ‚Âà ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢t see that re-installing will achieve anything unless anyone knows different?

Thanks

Graham

Graham M
08-07-2004, 17:52
Can you check your email via Outlook?

Paul
08-07-2004, 19:47
The ping test that you said was sucessful - was this you being able to ping somewhere, or them able to ping you ?

Graham RM1
09-07-2004, 11:27
Thanks for your help folks.

The connection began working again as suddenly as it stopped.

The problem must have been at NTL.

Graham