PDA

View Full Version : Different looking speed cameras?

Mick
07-07-2004, 19:50
Hi folks, I've noticed recently a spate of new looking cameras that are facing you rather than when you pass them they see the back of the car, there is also a strip, on the road just in front of the camera.

What is the difference in these cameras to the others ones (gatso)? Some say they take pictures who have not got tax discs and some others say they take pictures of those who speed but slow down before the camera anyway?

Over to you.... :)

Charlie_Bubble
07-07-2004, 20:02
Is it like this (Second camera down)? (http://www.speedcam.co.uk/gatso6.htm) If so, it's a forward facing camera. Instead of judging as you go past and taking a pic against the white lines, it has a single line and takes a pic after you pass it if you are going too fast. It does have the added advantage of taking your pic as well, so no more, "I can't remember who was driving" defence.

Charlie_Bubble
07-07-2004, 20:02
BTW, check out the vandalised gatso page. Awwww, so sad! :D

BTW lots of pics on that page, not for the faint hearted or dialup-equipped person! :)

Chris
07-07-2004, 20:12
Is it like this (Second camera down)? (http://www.speedcam.co.uk/gatso6.htm) If so, it's a forward facing camera. Instead of judging as you go past and taking a pic against the white lines, it has a single line and takes a pic after you pass it if you are going too fast. It does have the added advantage of taking your pic as well, so no more, "I can't remember who was driving" defence.

Yep, sounds like a Truvelo camera. AFAIK they use infrared cameras so they don't need a regular camera flash, hence it's safe to have them right in a driver's face.

Gatsos are still the most popular type of camera but certain police forces seem to favour Truvelos - there's a lot of them in Oxfodshire, I've been told.

Mick
07-07-2004, 20:40

Yeah but the ones I've seen are yellow in colour. So they probably do the same job as you say.

altis
07-07-2004, 20:41
I think the Truvelos use number plate recognition technology and calculate your average speed over a measured distance between two cameras - so there's no point in slowing down just as you pass one.

Charlie_Bubble
07-07-2004, 22:18
I think the Truvelos use number plate recognition technology and calculate your average speed over a measured distance between two cameras - so there's no point in slowing down just as you pass one.

Nope, that's the SPECS system.

gary_580
07-07-2004, 22:46

Truvelos use sensors embedded in the road in front of the camera. You normally see three white lines near the camera.

Mick
07-07-2004, 22:57
So they designed to catch more speeders out then....

I remember a sign the council put up in a village informing motorists how many speeders were caught in a previous month and someone came along and put a sign underneath saying And 0 burglars caught. :D

iadom
07-07-2004, 23:41
I may have been caught by one of these today, A steep hill, 40 mph limit, changes to 30 mph limit. I think I had slowed to approx 35 mph when I spotted this new camera partly hidden by some trees at the bottom of the hill. It was not there two days ago. No record of any serious accidents at this spot. :mad:

Mick
07-07-2004, 23:46
I may have been caught by one of these today, A steep hill, 40 mph limit, changes to 30 mph limit. I think I had slowed to approx 35 mph when I spotted this new camera partly hidden by some trees at the bottom of the hill. It was not there two days ago. No record of any serious accidents at this spot. :mad:

I think I know where you mean.... Yet further down that road at Wellyhole street there has been a spate of traffic accidents and people killed there and no camera in sight.

iadom
08-07-2004, 00:22
I think I know where you mean.... Yet further down that road at Wellyhole street there has been a spate of traffic accidents and people killed there and no camera in sight.

Just down the hill from Lydgate, coming into Grotton.

gary_580
08-07-2004, 00:35

Go take a photo of it hidden by the trees. Evidence to get you off as theyre not allowed to be hidden.