PDA

View Full Version : Moving cable Modem / moving PC, Routers?

mphutchy
06-07-2004, 19:32
:erm:

Can anyone Help?

I have searched the Forum and cannot seem to find a simple answer. I basically want to move my PC into a new room. However the cable modem is currently coming into the house into a different room. I was thinking that the easiest way to do this would be to get some sort of wireless modem - can you get these?. (But I guess I would not get the support from NTL for the Modem then).

The other option I thought of would be to buy a wireless router etc.. but I am not sure exactly what I would need here. But since I am not intending to Network at all - is this a bit overkill, is there a simpler way?

Any help would be appreciated.

MovedGoalPosts
06-07-2004, 19:52
The simplest answer is to leave the cable modem where it is. If you must move the modem, you will need ntl's engineers as the cable connecting it to the box outside will probably need to be replaced with something longer.

You then either a) run a long lenght of ethernet cable to your new PC's location. Given the length of the cable that ntl supply you should be able to get to most rooms in an average house. However working out you route might be a challenge, especially around doors and the like.

or b) Create a wireless connection. Simply put you buy a transmitter unit, which you plug into the modem, and an antenna receiver station that you plug into the ethernet or USB port on your PC. Many of these basic systmes, may call themselves routers, as they have to route traffic between the modem and your PC's antenna. However even thes basic rtouters may offer you advantages of giving you added firewall protection.

There are versions of routers that incorporate wired and wirleess connections, but if you hjave no intention whatsoever of having more than one PC, the router would be overkill. If you are, one day, likley to have more than one computer, a games console needing an online service, or similar then you should go for the router with wireless option.

mick70
06-07-2004, 22:13
Can highly recommend :) the linksys BEFW11S4 router, only £40 and is wireless. Got mine from E-Buyer. No probs.

mphutchy
13-07-2004, 00:03
Thanks to you both for your help - will go with the wireless router option

:)