PDA

View Full Version : Tesco, a step too far?

Graham F
06-07-2004, 18:16
As we all know tesco is the leading light in online sales, but surely there latest online venture is just a step too far?

TESCO LAW GOES ONLINE WITH GROCERIES

Online shoppers will now be able to buy wills, tenancy agreements and DIY divorce kits as well as groceries after Tesco TSCO.L , Britain's largest supermarket, launched an online legal advice store. The move is seen as a reaction to the planned deregulation of legal services

Source www.reuters.co.uk

Fair play to them for spotting this gap in the market but would you go to Tesco for legal advice? :Yikes: :disturbd: :Yikes: baked beans and bread maybe but legal advice come on!!!

Paul K
06-07-2004, 18:19
Shhhh ;) Don't diss Tescos just in case a certain forum member notices :p:
Since its an online service then its possible that qualified people are running that area of the service. Well, hopefully it is anyway LOL

Tricky
06-07-2004, 18:23
If it's anything like their online shopping service then you'll find missing items!

Russ
06-07-2004, 18:29
DIY Divorce kits :grind:

Paul K
06-07-2004, 18:33
DIY Divorce kits :grind:
Would love to be divorced from D.I.Y ;) Seperated from my saw, split from my screwdriver....:p:
There are some things that really shouldn't be done without proper advice and consultation. Too many things that can go wrong or be argued about, especially with things like wills etc.

Chimaera
06-07-2004, 19:40
Drat - does that mean I could have got Clubcard points???
And I couldn't have been any worse off than I was by the time my useless solicitor had finished! :mad:
Might be worth thinking about when I re-do my will - don't want it to get out of date ;)

abailey152
06-07-2004, 23:28
I can see it now.......

Bread, butter, milk, groceries, tins of beans, divorce :D

I suppose all things are going this way. Where a few mega-companies do everything.

MovedGoalPosts
06-07-2004, 23:47
If it makes getting simple and reasonable cheap advice for things like wills accessible then I'm all for it.

Regretably, too few of us have a will (I don't and that's largely through apathy, which I know I should correct butI've never come accross a simple easy thrust in my face way of dealing with things like wills).

We may not want to "kick the bucket", but too few of us have prepared for the unexpected. Even a badly drafted will, shows the intentions of the deceased, and that must be preferable to the alternatives of the relatives trying to work out what is what and where it should end up.

Russ
07-07-2004, 00:27
Wills wouldn't be such a bad idea but DIY divorces...IMO divorces are far too easy to obtain anyway (which is a different topic) and this idea will only make things worse.

ntluser
07-07-2004, 07:45
I think it demonstrates once again that Tesco arre prepared to break new ground in search of profit.

The store markets very aggressively and has shown that it is prepared to challenge the banks by offering competitively priced financial services and is equally prepared to challenge high street stores like WH Smiths by offering books for sale at much lower prices.

Essentially, they are increasing their potential for profit by taking slices of a wider number of markets.

Who knows? Maybe other stores wil retaliate by offering food at lower prices and pinch a slice of Tesco's food market.

The danger with all this competition is that, as one by one competitors go out of business we move nearer and nearer to a monopoly situation where the remaining company can charge what it likes and where the customer is the loser.

Mr_love_monkey
07-07-2004, 09:04
Who knows? Maybe other stores wil retaliate by offering food at lower prices and pinch a slice of Tesco's food market.

According to the book I'm reading at the moment, it says some supermarkets sell food at a loss, and prop up their profits with the nonfood side of business (and advertising 'donations' from suppliers, but that's another story) - infact Sainsburys accused Asda of making a 100% loss on their food sales, and their entire income is provided from non food.
The whole subject of Key Value Items and Loss leaders is quite interesting, especially since the tactics employed by the supemarkets in this country are illegal in others (for example France has banned loss leaders).

Off topic really, but quite interesing, I find. :)

Bifta
07-07-2004, 09:13
divorces are far too easy to obtain anyway

Would you have a problem with people getting a quicky divorce if they weren't married under the eyes of god? (i.e. registry office, guild hall etc)

Chris
07-07-2004, 09:29
Would you have a problem with people getting a quicky divorce if they weren't married under the eyes of god? (i.e. registry office, guild hall etc)

Personally I wouldn't, although I think if we are going to fully embrace the concept of civil marriage as an arrangement for the time being rather than a lifelong commitment, we should look at ways of recognising that at the outset rather than fudging it at the other end with messy, painful divorce law. For the record, I think a 'quickie' divorce obtained at Tescos would be likely to be just as painful in the long term for the family involved, especially if there are children - my parents took a very long and gradual road to separation to minimise the stress on us but it was still awful. I can't imagine what shock might be suffered by a young child forced to come to terms with a sudden divorce.

I do have a problem with easy divorce from a Church marriage because the Bible does have very clear teaching on the permanence of marriage in God's eyes. I have no objection to people choosing not to believe this, but when they choose not to believe it yet insist on appropriating something sacred to me just so they can get married in a quaint building and have nicer photos ... well, that upsets me a little.

Bifta
07-07-2004, 09:37
Personally I wouldn't, although I think if we are going to fully embrace the concept of civil marriage as an arrangement for the time being rather than a lifelong commitment, we should look at ways of recognising that at the outset rather than fudging it at the other end with messy, painful divorce law. For the record, I think a 'quickie' divorce obtained at Tescos would be likely to be just as painful in the long term for the family involved, especially if there are children - my parents took a very long and gradual road to separation to minimise the stress on us but it was still awful. I can't imagine what shock might be suffered by a young child forced to come to terms with a sudden divorce.

I do have a problem with easy divorce from a Church marriage because the Bible does have very clear teaching on the permanence of marriage in God's eyes. I have no objection to people choosing not to believe this, but when they choose not to believe it yet insist on appropriating something sacred to me just so they can get married in a quaint building and have nicer photos ... well, that upsets me a little.

My comment came across as a bit flippant which wasn't my intention. The reason I ask is that I was married (years ago) in a registry office, and plan to have a church wedding next year now my partner and I have been together over 5 years, a couple of people told me the priest wouldn't mind too much as the marriage wasn't somethinged or other under god and as far as the church was concerned, I wasn't actually married (in a religious sense).

ntluser
07-07-2004, 09:41

I think, Towny, that sadly marriage is becoming a victim of the throw away society we are developing today.

In the past, you would often hear of marriages that would last 30 years or more. These days some marriages last barely 30 days.

It all smacks of marriage for convenience and so when you get tired of a particular marriage partner you exchange him/her for a different one, just like any other product.

People are tending to enter marriage with a lot less long-term commitment than they used to do and though some people are in love with the idea of marriage it's often not to the same partner, as the increased divorcee re-marriage rate shows.

At this rate Silver & Golden Wedding Anniversaries may well become a thing of the past, which is very sad.

Chris
07-07-2004, 09:59
My comment came across as a bit flippant which wasn't my intention. The reason I ask is that I was married (years ago) in a registry office, and plan to have a church wedding next year now my partner and I have been together over 5 years, a couple of people told me the priest wouldn't mind too much as the marriage wasn't somethinged or other under god and as far as the church was concerned, I wasn't actually married (in a religious sense).

It's OK, I didn't think you were benig flippant :) I think the Priest is taking a sensible approach with your request. I'm all for ensuring there is a clear distinction between civil marriage and Christian marriage.