PDA

View Full Version : Gas bill - help

greencreeper
05-07-2004, 01:49
:fit:

kWh's = (cubic metres x correction factor x calorific value) divided by 36

Can I find out the correction factor or calorific value? Can I hell. Do I even know what they are? Do I hell. It's driving me nuts. Help!

Paul
05-07-2004, 02:43
The factor varies and should be listed on your bill somewhere.

greencreeper
05-07-2004, 04:23
They're on the front of the bill :rolleyes: The formula is on the back - didn't think to look at the front...

My first bill, from January to now, I'm told will be around £100. I get it to about £15. They have all the meter readings though. I asked a mate to check my figures and he gets the same. Not sure what to make of it. Guess I'll have to wait for the bill and see how they've calculated it.

gary_580
05-07-2004, 09:16
To convert gas units to kilowatt hours:

gas units used x imperial to metric conversion factor (2.83) x volume conversion factor (1.022640) x calorific value (39.7) divided by kilowatt hour conversion factor (3.6) = kilowatt hours used.

This is the same as: gas units used x 31.3 = kilowatt hours used.

You appear to have divided by 36 and not 3.6 which would explain a lot

greencreeper
05-07-2004, 21:17
Yeah. I missed the decimal point :rolleyes: I could have sworn it wasn't there last night. I dunno - the ravages of old age huh. So that means the bill is accurate :erm: :cry:

Thought gas was meant to be cheap :(

Maggy
05-07-2004, 21:49
Yeah. I missed the decimal point :rolleyes: I could have sworn it wasn't there last night. I dunno - the ravages of old age huh. So that means the bill is accurate :erm: :cry:

Thought gas was meant to be cheap :(

Ah but some former government decided that gas and electricity had to be comparable in price so as to be truly competitive. :rolleyes:

Yes I know it sounds daft but when has there ever been logic where politicians were concerned :D

greencreeper
05-07-2004, 21:54
Ah but some former government decided that gas and electricity had to be comparable in price so as to be truly competitive. :rolleyes:

Yes I know it sounds daft but when has there ever been logic where politicians were concerned :D

Humph. Might have known. Suppose it'll be "her" :mad:

This is the first time I've lived in a house with a gas supply. The novelty of having a fire I can control, as oppose to a night storage heater which you, er, can't control, still hasn't worn off :p: It's all new - I've no idea what the bills should be. My first attempt at calculating the bill I just multiplied the units used in m3 by the price per unit and I thought "God this gas is cheap" :rolleyes: Didn't know I had to convert to KwH :dunce: