PDA

View Full Version : NTL BB installation/activation procedure

resident.alien
03-07-2004, 20:31
Good evening!

I'm a newbie and I don't have a clue about cable broadband whatsoever. So far I've been using ADSL (BT/Virgin.net).

Next week I will be moving to a new address where there is NTL television and NTL telephone already. I would now like to add NTL broadband to that package. I understand that I can simply call NTL and tell them that I want broadband. Fair enough. But how does the actual cable broadband activation work? I.e. what is the engineer going to do? Is he going to drill holes, dig in our front garden, etc? Will I be accessing the internet via tv box or will I be given a cable modem? If the latter is true, where should I put it? I really want to set up a wireless LAN, so I guess the location of the modem is irrelevant, isn't it? If the internet is accessed via tv box, would a wireless router interfere with tv reception?

Thanks in advance for your help.

r.a

Nikko
03-07-2004, 20:45
:welcome: to the forum :)

Which area are you moving to? This will dictate STB/SACM

Basically either way the main work has been done from the street to the house - either a feed will be taken from the STB or a feed from the main box to the SACM.

Siting is irrelevant if you are going wireless, but I would put the modem where the main PC normally lives in case of router failure etc. There should be no interference in any event.

resident.alien
03-07-2004, 21:02
:welcome: to the forum :)

Which area are you moving to? This will dictate STB/SACM

Thanks, Nikko. I'm moving to Northampton (NN4). I believe STB/SACM stand for tv box and modem?

Cheers.

r.a

Nikko
03-07-2004, 21:06
I believe NN is a Langley (original NTL) area - someone will be able to confirm it, in which case it will be Stand Alone Cable Modem rather than Set Top Box, so yes :)

Marge
03-07-2004, 21:24
I believe NN is a Langley (original NTL) area - someone will be able to confirm it, in which case it will be Stand Alone Cable Modem rather than Set Top Box, so yes :)

Spot on Nikko, you the daddy :) :) :)

homealone
03-07-2004, 21:29
In that case the instal tech will split the existing TV cable where it comes in at the wall plate, - all you need to think about is how you want them to route the coax to the modem, which I agree should be located next to the computer.:)

- afaik they will not lift floorboards or carpets, so you get a cable clipped round the skirting. If you want a neater installation, I believe they are happy to use 'pre-installed' conduit, as long as suitable 'pull throughs' have been provided. - it all depends where your computer is, really.:)

resident.alien
04-07-2004, 12:49
@all: Thank you! *thumbsup*

@homealone:
In that case the instal tech will split the existing TV cable where it comes in at the wall plate, - all you need to think about is how you want them to route the coax to the modem, which I agree should be located next to the computer.:)

Well, one of the computers is going to be upstairs and the other one some 20 metres away in the conservatory. I thought, since I will be setting up a wireless LAN anyway, I could just tell the engineer to put the cable modem right next to where the cable comes out of the wall. You see, I would like to keep the damage to a minimum... ;)

One more question: How long does it usually take for NTL to get it (broadband) all up and running?

Thanks for all your help. Great stuff. :)

r.a

Derek
04-07-2004, 14:04
One more question: How long does it usually take for NTL to get it (broadband) all up and running?

Once the engineer is out and has left the modem you have to register it which takes about 15 minutes or so. You don't have to wait for the cable to be activated or anything like that.

The actual time it takes to get an engineer out can vary from a couple of days to a week or so depending how flexible you can be with timing and how busy they are in the area.

resident.alien
22-07-2004, 19:30
Hi there!

Just a quick update. The NTL engineer turned up last Monday. Installation took 10 Minutes + 1 cup of tea. I then connected the cable modem to my wireless router (Linksys) - done! Nice and easy. That's how I like it! ;-) Configuration on PC and Mac was dead easy too. I'm really pleased with NTL's service so far. Great speed (+ upcoming free upgrade on 1 August), no charge for two months, and even some "free" webspace included.

Cheers,

r.a

MetaWraith
22-07-2004, 20:09
Hi there!

Just a quick update. The NTL engineer turned up last Monday. Installation took 10 Minutes + 1 cup of tea. I then connected the cable modem to my wireless router (Linksys) - done! Nice and easy. That's how I like it! ;-) Configuration on PC and Mac was dead easy too. I'm really pleased with NTL's service so far. Great speed (+ upcoming free upgrade on 1 August), no charge for two months, and even some "free" webspace included.

Cheers,

r.a
Just goes to show NTL can get it right sometimes.
Let's hope it starts a trend.

Feenix
23-07-2004, 17:43
Hi there!

Cheers,

r.a

Look! the magic ingredient - cup of tea :tu: Allways a good idea when an install tech arrives :)

wizardman
26-07-2004, 15:29
Look! the magic ingredient - cup of tea :tu: Allways a good idea when an install tech arrives :)
its not always they want a cuppa :)