PDA

View Full Version : Internet Keeps going offline for a few mins - NB, Problem has returned

Mauldor
03-07-2004, 11:33
For about 3 days now my connection keeps going offline even though the lights stay on the Cable Modem (Surfboard 4100). I noticed it in MSN and general browsing but effects all.

This is log from modem:

************ 8-Debug T509.0 Acquired DS with status NO FEC lock, DS Freq 857750000, US Id 0
************ 8-Debug T509.0 Acquired DS with status NO FEC lock, DS Freq 857500000, US Id 0
************ 8-Debug T509.0 Acquired DS with status NO FEC lock, DS Freq 857250000, US Id 0
************ 8-Debug T509.0 Acquired DS with status NO FEC lock, DS Freq 856750000, US Id 0
************ 8-Debug T509.0 Acquired DS with status NO FEC lock, DS Freq 856500000, US Id 0
************ 8-Debug T509.0 Acquired DS with status NO FEC lock, DS Freq 856250000, US Id 0
************ 8-Debug T509.0 Acquired DS with status NO FEC lock, DS Freq 855750000, US Id 0
************ 8-Debug T509.0 Acquired DS with status NO FEC lock, DS Freq 855500000, US Id 0
************ 8-Debug T509.0 Acquired DS with status NO FEC lock, DS Freq 855250000, US Id 0
************ 8-Debug T509.0 Acquired DS with status NO FEC lock, DS Freq 854750000, US Id 0
************ 8-Debug T509.0 Acquired DS with status NO FEC lock, DS Freq 854500000, US Id 0
************ 8-Debug T509.0 Acquired DS with status NO FEC lock, DS Freq 854250000, US Id 0
************ 8-Debug T509.0 Acquired DS with status NO FEC lock, DS Freq 853750000, US Id 0
************ 8-Debug T509.0 Acquired DS with status NO FEC lock, DS Freq 853500000, US Id 0
************ 8-Debug T509.0 Acquired DS with status NO FEC lock, DS Freq 853250000, US Id 0
************ 8-Debug T509.0 Acquired DS with status NO FEC lock, DS Freq 852750000, US Id 0
************ 8-Debug T509.0 Acquired DS with status NO FEC lock, DS Freq 852500000, US Id 0
************ 8-Debug T509.0 Acquired DS with status NO FEC lock, DS Freq 852250000, US Id 0
************ 8-Debug T509.0 Acquired DS with status NO FEC lock, DS Freq 851750000, US Id 0
************ 8-Debug T509.0 Acquired DS with status NO FEC lock, DS Freq 851500000, US Id 0
************ 8-Debug T509.0 Acquired DS with status NO FEC lock, DS Freq 851250000, US Id 0

Frequency 402750000 Hz Locked
Signal to Noise Ratio 37 dB
QAM 64
Network Access Control Object ON
Power Level 1 dBmV The Downstream Power Level reading is a snapshot taken at the time this page was requested. Please Reload/Refresh this Page for a new reading

Upstream Value
Channel ID 6
Frequency 34384000 Hz Ranged
Ranging Service ID 2257
Symbol Rate 1.280 Msym/s
Power Level 36 dBmV

Now i have not moved my modem, or line so it seems to be something on NTL i feel. I have rang Support but after been in the queue for 1 hour - i gave up tbh.

I am based in Scunthorpe Region - anybody else have these problems or any idea what work maybe be on at the moment that could be causing this?

sir_drinks_alot
03-07-2004, 11:47
i have been geting some thing like that to :) the cable to Modem connection was down since the early hours only just got it back

nufcfan123
03-07-2004, 14:47
im glad im not the only one

paulyoung666
03-07-2004, 15:24
next question would be , are you both in the same area ??????????? :)

sir_drinks_alot
03-07-2004, 16:17
next question would be , are you both in the same area ??????????? :)

well an in the Langley area

paulyoung666
03-07-2004, 16:22
well an in the Langley area

geographical area i meant or is there a place called langley :confused:

Mauldor
03-07-2004, 16:57
Well im connected to Notts core Proxy if that helps - i rang CS and this is the basics of how it went -

I am connected via a router which was the first problem - so in it went direct to a pc (he asked by the way what is a RJ45 connection - called it internet - confusing eh) so i got a fresh ip. Pulled up MSN, left it for a while while we chatted and i was telling him about my logs on the modem - he has never heard of them so cannot advise. Anyhow as if by magic - msn drops off - as does the net - yet lights etc stay on - another :

8-Debug T509.0 Acquired DS with status NO FEC lock, DS Freq 857750000, US Id

Pops up on the modem logs - then msn reconnects and we are back in business.

He suggests that only one fault was reported in my area - slow browsing - to which i told him that it is probably the same fault - as connection goes (somewhere) and it cannot resolve a page etc.

So i got advised to call maybe mon/tue is the problem is still around.

Well did a search on Langley and it came up in Shropshire while im in Lincolnshire, near hull/doncaster etc. So proabably not the same area

nufcfan123
03-07-2004, 17:28
nope, im in luton

nopcode
03-07-2004, 19:39
having alot of problems here In Scunthorpe - North Lincs

Connection seems to drop without warning sometimes after 1 min other times after 5 for 10-30 secs at a time.

Cable Modem Lights all stay on during this, and the cable tv hasn't been having any problems. It occurs when im playing online games (get the no data from server error) when im using msn messenger (suddenly kicks me offline) and even when im web browsing, (pages dont get fetched for the brief time its messing around)

it started 2 days ago, and has now escalated to being so frequent thats its impossible to connect to games servers and at best i get 3 mins of msn chat b4 i have to re login.
Ive also gone through firewall logs and nothing really stands out.
i think im connected to the nottingham proxys.

anyone have any ideas?

Mauldor
04-07-2004, 23:42
Well as i said - CM Support says there is no problems in the area so the problem of course must be our pc's (lol) - if it was pure web pages then i could pon point the proxy but the fact my TS servers keeps going offline as does everything else and this log every now and then in the Cable Modem suggests the cable modem is loosing sync with NTL.

If the person was non-technical they woudl describe the problem as slow browsing and i at first blamed MSN as that has a habbit of doing this sort of thing anyhow every now and then.

A Normal Re-Seg makes my Lights go out and i get a new IP normally, i have eliminated the router and out of 4 pc's they cannot all have the same problem along with the fact i have changed nothing on the pc's anyhow.

I changed the router as i said "just in case" it was that and even plugged straight into a pc. I wonder - if they are scanning the IP's as this support guy said and got nothing back (as is the case of those of us with a router / firewall) then maybe it stops the service as this problem only started when they announced they were going to be scanning the IP's.

jarrvo
05-07-2004, 09:21
i had some problems last night, some web pages didnt load at all and others were very slow.

im in scunthorpe area aswell.

switched router and CM off and left it.
see what its like tonight.

nopcode
05-07-2004, 15:21
ooh nice, just spent a totally fruitless hour on phone to cs. They can see the modem is fine from their end so of course it must be "some nasty spyware or virus" thats infected my pc.

Well even tho i told them after 2 days of this, i totally reformatted the harddrive and reinstalled win AND that i explained ive used spybot s+d and Adaware AND housecall online. Sigh, I even CHANGED nic's and tried USB .

Yes its still my pc software at fault. So ive aggreed to try ANOTHER reformat and install and see again. Stupid me

Pity this, NTL have been pretty good to me for the last 3 years or so.

seaneeboy
05-07-2004, 15:46
:notopic:

Paulyoung666 - according to streetmap, there's quite a few places called Langley... :)

Langley, Derbyshire [City/Town/Village]
Langley, Slough [City/Town/Village]
Langley, Kent
Langley, Gloucestershire [City/Town/Village]
Langley, Durham
Langley, Shropshire
Langley, Rochdale [City/Town/Village]
Langley, Warwickshire [City/Town/Village]
Langley, Surrey [City/Town/Village]
Langley, Cumbria
Langley, Kent [City/Town/Village]
Langley, Essex [City/Town/Village]
Langley, Sandwell [City/Town/Village]
Langley, Cheshire [City/Town/Village]
Langley, Devon
Langley, Devon
Langley, Northumberland [City/Town/Village]
Langley, Hampshire [City/Town/Village]
Langley, Shropshire
Langley, Oxfordshire [City/Town/Village]
Langley, Devon
Langley, Hertfordshire [City/Town/Village]
Langley, Moray
Langley, Somerset [City/Town/Village]
Langley, Hampshire [Town]
Langley, West Sussex [Town]
Langley, Kent [Town]
Langley, Slough [Town]
Langley, Hertfordshire [Town]
Langley, Essex [Town]
Langley, Warwickshire [Town]
Langley, Cheshire [Town]
Langley, Derbyshire [Town]

firestorm4th
05-07-2004, 18:29
Hi, i live in scunthorpe as well and ive been getting the same problem since thursday, it hasnt stopped since, also in since yesterday its gotten worse. ive neva had problems like this before, since now theres 3 of us from scunthorpe, maybe ntl should really investigate this matter. its not spyware, adware virus or anything, coz ive tried the connection on a brand new laptop and still the same problem.

nopcode
05-07-2004, 18:56
where abouts in scunthorpe are u? if it turns out we live on the same street and our lil green junction box has been vandalised ill laugh my ass off :)

im just off Doncaster road

firestorm4th
05-07-2004, 19:09
lol, nah we aint on the same road, im on buckingham avenue, just off ferry road. the problem has gotten really worse now :mad:

nopcode
05-07-2004, 19:40
yeah its getting to the point, im hoping i will lose service all together. Then maybe NTL techs can do somthing about it.

Btw u wouldnt be the rooster would u :P

Carth
05-07-2004, 20:54
Hi guys, I'm down the Berkley area, it's been crap for a while now. MSN don't stay connected for more than 2 - 3 minutes, online gaming is a joke ( spawn, run for cover, ping out, die) :banghead: I got so wound up with not being able to contact NTL that I sent a complaint in ( *cough* rather hastily written .... ooops :blush: ) No reply yet, mebbe they're still trying to decipher some of the words lol. I ended up ringing the support number (0845 whatever) and a guy named Andrew told me there was an issue with oversubscribing, which they are trying to resolve :rolleyes:
Sure hope its sorted soon cos the wife keeps hinting at decorating :Yikes:

firestorm4th
05-07-2004, 21:18
oversubscribing lol! wots their next excuse?

nope i aint no rooster :)

Carth
05-07-2004, 21:43
next excuse ?? hmmmm Global Warming ;)

..... the way things are going, oversubscribing is something that NTL may not have to worry about :geez:

Steve H
05-07-2004, 21:47
From what the guys said, it does look like your local UBR's are oversubscribed. I'd keep ringing them up reminding them that this issue needs solving asap.. I think JANoob may be able to help if he drops in, but hopefully CS will see that some engineers get it sorted asap.

jarrvo
05-07-2004, 22:18
i dont think its an over subscribed ubr.
there's not that many people in scunthorfpe that use nTL.

if it was oversubscribed why was it fine up until thursday?
surely it would have been a gradual thing?

what ever it is its only been since thursday, as up until then ive had no problems.

Steve H
05-07-2004, 22:30
Not sure, maybe they were rebalanced on wednesday night or something and you ended up with more users on your channel? I believe they rebalance the UBR's every so often so as to even the load, so to speak. Maybe beforehand you didn't have many people on your channel, and with the rebalance you now have a few more, some of whom may be heavy downloaders thus robbing all your bandwidth. But, I could be wrong :D:confused:

jarrvo
05-07-2004, 22:34
its weird because some sites just timeout completely, like dns problem.
others sites (like this) are fine.

ive tried cs a few times today but cant get through at all.

Carth
05-07-2004, 22:37
Cheers STEVE H, any help is appreciated 'cos it's getting real bad over here. I've got withdrawl symptoms ..... and she's talking about buying WALLPAPER tomorrow fer crying out loud !! You gotta help me out of this one :bigcry:

edit: I get pages not loading on this site Jarvvo, I need to keep hitting refresh until it loads properly

Hick
05-07-2004, 22:39
I'm experiencing similar symptoms up here in Ellesmere Port and have been for a day or two. I doubt its oversubscribed UBR's round here because I'm not sure any one else knows what the internet is and we have a very nice ex nynex network ;)

jarrvo
05-07-2004, 22:45
this site works.

so does google and ebay.

but thats about it for me.

hotmail,msn, microsoft.com,ntlworld are dead and so is ntl email.

Carth
05-07-2004, 22:52
really strange jarvvo, :shrug: I've got no ntl mail working, but hotmail is ( aint it strange how all that useless junk stuff manages to get through lmao) and msn is almost instant disconnect

Goo
05-07-2004, 22:57
:D guess wot live in Scunthorpe aswell, and my internet has been on and off since Friday night. Its driving me crazy. I get about 1-2 mins of gameplay on CoD and its "Connection Interrupted" MSN signing out Blah Blah, all the rest of it.

I'm just off Westcommon Lane, So is it a Green Box issue?

Carth
05-07-2004, 23:02
Hi Goo, welcome to the Scunny gamers problem page lol
Its bigger than a green box problem m8, seems to be in patches nationwide.
Mebbe someone shoud ring Bill Gates and ask what the h*ll was in the last critical update hehe

Goo
05-07-2004, 23:10
lmao, I really hope its up again soon. I really am going CrAzY :scratch:

Neva had problems like this b4, considering a new ISP as they may be able to get me hooked up to the net again b4 ntl resolve the issue. :Sun:

Carth
05-07-2004, 23:22
Yeah I started thinking of changing provider, but to be fair to NTL this is only the second time in 3 years that I've had a problem thats lasted more than one day .... and if lots of folk leave, it means I probably get a more stable connection :D

Ignition
06-07-2004, 02:44
Not sure, maybe they were rebalanced on wednesday night or something and you ended up with more users on your channel? I believe they rebalance the UBR's every so often so as to even the load, so to speak. Maybe beforehand you didn't have many people on your channel, and with the rebalance you now have a few more, some of whom may be heavy downloaders thus robbing all your bandwidth. But, I could be wrong :D:confused:

OK....

There's no oversubscription there that I'm aware of - there was an issue affecting Scunthorpe which should now be resolved.

If still experiencing issues tomorrow morning please let me know, however I can tell you that one of the links between ubrs and the rest of the ntl network was having some issues, and symptoms of this would have been:

1) slow / intermittent browsing
2) packet loss while gaming / high pings
3) slow internet generally, timeouts on websites, email accounts
4) sub-standard speed uploads and downloads.

This should now be mitigated.

Mauldor
06-07-2004, 08:36
lol, nah we aint on the same road, im on buckingham avenue, just off ferry road. the problem has gotten really worse now :mad:

Im also in the same street - Hello Dude

firestorm4th
06-07-2004, 08:41
maybe its coz of this bad weather we been having in scunny, its seems to be sunny everywhere else but here :mad:

firestorm4th
06-07-2004, 08:43
Im also in the same street - Hello Dude

lol, u live in the same street! scary!

rare uk
06-07-2004, 09:57
I have the same problem here in macclesfield :(

jarrvo
06-07-2004, 10:00
well hopefulyy it will be fixed when i get home this evening.

:D

firestorm4th
06-07-2004, 13:06
the connection has improved than before, i can stay on at least 5-10 mins before i get booted from game servers and msn messenger. yesterday i used to get booted from msn before ive even said hello to anyone! the problem is still there but not as worse as yesterday

Bubo
06-07-2004, 13:30
Hello fellow Scunthonians. Yep I am having lag outs every 5 mins since friday, spoke to customer services last night and he eventually said "yeah its a known problem thats been reported a few times, an engineer will fix it shortly" For the rest of last night it was as bad as ever. Just got home for my lunch today and it seemed allright after doing a few web sites, not tried any games yet. So I think, yeah they've sorted it, and I go to load up this forum to check and net hangs for 25 seconds and get site not found. Eventually the page loads so maybe I spoke too soon.

Bubo
06-07-2004, 13:39
Just tried a medal of honour game server and five mins from entering the game it lags out. So they definately have not fixed it.

nopcode
06-07-2004, 16:46
Yeah, although its not dropping frequently/long enough to upset webbrowsing as much as yesterday , its still kicking me from msn messenger and from online games servers after only a few mins, making it totally unplayable.

At least my left mouse button isnt getting hammered on refresh button now :)

Goo
06-07-2004, 16:48
Yeah got up this morning... well afternoon. Went on MSN and all was well. Went on CoD for abt 1/2 an hour... but thn :( "Conection Interrupted" thn did it 1-2 times more. But it has definatly improved, but still no good for clan matches...

5th day now and still unfixed.... :td:

Mauldor
06-07-2004, 17:19
Can I ask if the Support team (on here i mean not the doods sitting on the phone) know what the problem is/was. You said there was a problem in the Area but never actually said what.

Now still today MSN goes on and offline as before (soon as i start chatting), even had trouble sending a small file to Webspace (NTL) - it disconnected that many times.

At least when the lights go off - you know where you stand, when they go back on your laughing. Is there a router thats a bit flaky or something? Im tempted to rin support again but they dont really sound like they know what they are doing - i probably get a enginner to come out and check my setup (though they never make it) - so any news please - cannot do anything with the connection atm the way it is.

nopcode
06-07-2004, 17:29
ooo good news .
It seems everything has now settled , and after one last CM reboot all's fine again!

TY NTL techy peeps

Would like to know what was wrong tho, incase it happens again. So i wont have to spend an hour going round in circles on CS.

Carth
06-07-2004, 18:22
Well I 've just had a quick 10 mins frag on Spearhead with no problems (apart from some wierdo with a rocket launcher that just wanted to try and kill the pidgeons on the roofs ? :shrug: ) Browsing, EMail and msn seem ok so thanks to whoever did whatever whenever :D

Later guys, I've got to go and hide the paint and paste gear now ;)

firestorm4th
06-07-2004, 18:37
yep, everything is back to normal :)

good work ntl techy team :) job well done! :tu:

jarrvo
06-07-2004, 19:42
cheers ntl support :)

everything seems fine tonight

Steve H
06-07-2004, 19:54
Yeah nice work JANoob ;) Glad to hear that most peoples problems are sorted :)

firestorm4th
07-07-2004, 11:54
:( i think the problem has returned :(

zally
09-07-2004, 13:57
Hi, im in Scunthorpe too, its 1.55 pm and problem seems to be back for me

nopcode
15-07-2004, 14:09
oooh its back again :)

exactly same as b4

<cries>

well at least i have u guys as company this time !!

zally
15-07-2004, 14:31
Yup, its back for me as well :rolleyes:

buba3d
15-07-2004, 17:50
Its been like this for almost a week for me.
glasgow area

paulyoung666
15-07-2004, 17:53
Its been like this for almost a week for me.
glasgow area

hi and :welcome: to the site , i assume you have been onto ntl c.s. about it ;) :D

Mozez
15-07-2004, 17:53
Same problem on Teesside - for at least a week.

Phoned SC the other day and got the usual Spyware line.

nopcode
15-07-2004, 18:01
hmm i hope it gets sorted soon, last time was nearly 5 days of crap, and two CS calls that ended with the "your pc must have a virus or spyware program installed".
I realy cant be bothered to go through that again, Is there any chance of Jan00b giving me more info so when i call cs I can get around their blatant fobbing off?

buba3d
15-07-2004, 18:09
hi and :welcome: to the site , i assume you have been onto ntl c.s. about it ;) :Dsure have m8, i used to be on the old forums b4 i lost the password :p

buba3d
16-07-2004, 09:56
Has this got something to do with the Planned maintenance thats going on nationwide ?

Mauldor
13-08-2004, 11:29
I would like to re-open this Issue as yet again its happening.... bahhhh

MSN Keeps going offline, Web Browsing erractic, powered down modem las night (SB4100) and failed to get a link, back on this morning though. Downloads Failing half way through, online games lagging out at random times etc as before really..

Can I ask , is anybody else in my area having this problem again?? ANy idea how they fixed it last time and if so can they sort of fix it again?

Thanks

stuG
13-08-2004, 12:40
I have had similar experiences I am in the PE27 3 area of the country, there has been a trail to even attempt to use BB in the last 7 days. I am now at least back on the network although still unable to do anything with it.

I download a 5mb file, all looks good, full speed till past 1mb then the speed drops like a stone. I run a ping at the same time and just get request time out. The download then timesout and im unable to do anything from 1s to 20 minutes.

I believe in having my system up to date with patches and even trying the XP SP2 I dare not even risk, What will happen next is I am sure this will continue into the following week as faults do not fix anything over the weekend.

Retrovertigo
13-08-2004, 13:00
Yep, problem has returned here for me as well (Manchester). Stuff I'm downloading seems unaffected so I'm not sure I'm literally being cut off? BUT, Yahoo Messenger and MSN will lose connections and the reconnect. Same with Soulseek (music share prog). Browsing gets erratic though. It's weird how the connection drops on some things and not other.

However, last night I had to reboot my modem 3 times as I completely lost my connection. It's a nuisance if you are downloading something overnight only to find the modem has gone down at 2 am or whatever.

The other probem is far more annoying though. Makes having a conversation on MSN very hard

Rone
13-08-2004, 13:04
Ive mentioned this in several threads, and tech supports ideas on fixing it did no good.
The connection is erratic, occasionally disconnecting and reconnecting WITHOUT re-booting, up and down spikes and browsing is problematical.
E-mail status says fine but as usual , it is'nt.
NTL and online gaming are not related in my house either. :(
Sooner go back to 1 meg, no problems then.

Mauldor
13-08-2004, 13:06
Well as per my first post you will see that We had a problem in the DN POstcode area which was pushed aside by support (phoning them) as it must have been the pc at fault, the router and god knows what else. Now MSN is flaky best of times so cannot just go on my MSN problems. I checked the status page and no signs of any problems that mighr effect my area - i was just wondering if the people in my area are expericeing the same problem again, then whatever they did to fix it last time, they can do again.

It might just be a whole internet problem for all I know, it so hard to pin down these faults and even bringing up this site took me a fair few times as it just cannot find it but eventaully it does.

I did the normal rounds of checking various things such as

Download from a UK FTP Server using FTP Client
Playing various servers on various games to rule out a individual problem with one server or link.
Trying varoius machines (i have about 6 i think) to make sure it was not machine related in any shape or form.
Tried with and without the two routers i have to take them out of the loop.
Changing IP by forcing MAC Change and chaging Channels in case one was flooded..
All to no avil basiaclly

stuG
13-08-2004, 13:34
Is there any information that we can give the TS peeps something to help em actually fix the issue (something from from robin's diag proggy or modem log file). Any techies wanna give us some clues as to how to help us get our lines fixed. As some of us are approaching our second week without a usuable service.

Any help appreciated

Rone
13-08-2004, 13:54
Well as its intermittent, its like taking your car to a garage and saying its misfiring at times, but not all the time. If its ok when you take it you wind up looking a *%$*.
If it totally breaks down, its easy to find, otherwise its the sort of state we are in now.
When the TS guy tested mine it seemed ok, but only an hour ago this page took ages to load, and so did many others. :(
Now its fine.

BootBlock
13-08-2004, 15:19
Another one here: I've just moved to the Scunthorpe area, and found the exact problem everyone else in this thread is getting is happening to me since yesterday.

Other than the almost constant (connection stays up anywhere from a few seconds to a few minutes at a time) connection failures, I've noticed something else. Last week I upgraded to the 1Mb (1.5Mb now, I suppose) service and all was fine. After yesterday's connection nightmare, I checked the modem's status pages this morning and found that I've been put back to the 750Kb service! I then tried upgrading to 1.5Mb again but couldn't as the site said that I was already at that level. Hmm.

This suggests to me that NTL sees that my modem's speed is under what it should be (eg. not 1.5Mb), and so keeps rebooting it in order for it to get the new config file from the uBR. I'm guessing that if my modem was at 1.5Mb, then the reboots wouldn't be happening.

Just all guess work, really.

zally
13-08-2004, 21:29
Me getting it again in Scunthorpe :mad:

Bubo
13-08-2004, 21:30
Scunthorpe here as well. Yes it has definately started again, extremely annoying. As I use BB mostly for online games its pretty much useless for now. Please tech guys, sort it out.

homealone
13-08-2004, 21:44
Another one here: I've just moved to the Scunthorpe area, and found the exact problem everyone else in this thread is getting is happening to me since yesterday.

Other than the almost constant (connection stays up anywhere from a few seconds to a few minutes at a time) connection failures, I've noticed something else. Last week I upgraded to the 1Mb (1.5Mb now, I suppose) service and all was fine. After yesterday's connection nightmare, I checked the modem's status pages this morning and found that I've been put back to the 750Kb service! I then tried upgrading to 1.5Mb again but couldn't as the site said that I was already at that level. Hmm.

This suggests to me that NTL sees that my modem's speed is under what it should be (eg. not 1.5Mb), and so keeps rebooting it in order for it to get the new config file from the uBR. I'm guessing that if my modem was at 1.5Mb, then the reboots wouldn't be happening.

:welcome: to the site BootBlock :)

what proxy do you go through in Scunny?

http://www.nthellworld.co.uk/home?nav=tools&exec=proxy

will tell you. ;)

- Grimsby/Cleethorpes is proxied via Nottingham & seems to be working ok. :)

Mauldor
13-08-2004, 22:29
You are using a new style proxy, cache5-nott.server.ntli.net.
This is a Nottingham proxy.

Its not just the proxy though, we had this problem before (see start of thread) thats before the 1.5mbit upgrade and eventually someone, somewhere done something and its fixed it for AGES......

Online Games? You can forget about these as the connection dies and them comes back but by then you have either lagged to death or been kicked. The way I knew it was actually loosing connection (but light staying on as such) before was i tried a FTP server to get ONE file from a person - this process took him a long time as he kept timing out.

Can someone in the know not add something to server status to say there is a problem again in scunthrope area? Nothing on there at the moment apart from Southampton...

homealone
13-08-2004, 22:33
This is a Nottingham proxy.

Its not just the proxy though, we had this problem before (see start of thread) thats before the 1.5mbit upgrade and eventually someone, somewhere done something and its fixed it for AGES......

Online Games? You can forget about these as the connection dies and them comes back but by then you have either lagged to death or been kicked. The way I knew it was actually loosing connection (but light staying on as such) before was i tried a FTP server to get ONE file from a person - this process took him a long time as he kept timing out.

yeah that's the same one I get reported - thanks :)

Tezcatlipoca
13-08-2004, 22:39

:welcome:

If they've put you onto a lower tier (750k), yet you are still paying for 1.5mbit, then you really should phone ntl.

There's a list of phone numbers (tech support, CS, etc) here: http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=10350

Customer Services closes at 8pm, but Tech Support is open until midnight.

As for the general Scunthorpe problems, hopefully JustAnotherN00b or one of the other helpful ntl people will see this thread & be able to help you all out.

BootBlock
13-08-2004, 22:45
Hi Homealone!

Like Mauldor, it says I'm connected via the Nottingham proxy:

This is a Nottingham proxy.Although last week the proxy (uBR?) had scun in it when I connected to a friend's game server.

I moved here from Grimsby, funnily enough; but weirdly I was connected to the Leeds uBR for some reason while I was there, having been on the Grimsby uBR for around about a year or so.

Compared to yesterday, the problem today seems to be even worse. I can't even view sites without them stalling part-way through. Gaming and voice chat are, of course, completely useless.

I don't think there's any other information I can add other than to say that I think the CM reverting back to the 750Kbps config a few days after I upgraded it to the 1.5Mbps service may play a fairly big part in this. Has anyone else had this happen?

BootBlock
13-08-2004, 22:51
If they've put you onto a lower tier (750k), yet you are still paying for 1.5mbit, then you really should phone ntl.
Unfortunately I'm not the account holder, and getting the actual account holder to phone up is a nightmare. He doesn't like talking on the phone.. oh, wait - neither do I. But I said I'd explain the situation to tech support as he doesn't have a clue about it (he just views sites and thinks the stalls are a general NTL thing; I on the other hand do all sorts of stuff..). Gagh.

Tezcatlipoca
13-08-2004, 22:58
Unfortunately I'm not the account holder, and getting the actual account holder to phone up is a nightmare. He doesn't like talking on the phone.. oh, wait - neither do I. But I said I'd explain the situation to tech support as he doesn't have a clue about it (he just views sites and thinks the stalls are a general NTL thing; I on the other hand do all sorts of stuff..). Gagh.

Could you get him to phone up, & then get him to ask Tech Support to speak to you instead once he gets through? [or get him to give you the account information so you can phone up?]

As for your question about whether anyone else has been put on the wrong speed....Here's one I remember: NormCash was put on the 150/300k service instead of having his 600k service upgraded to 700k (see here (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?p=274947) & earlier posts). A phonecall to Tech Support sorted him out.

Ignition
14-08-2004, 07:32
Example IP addresses from those who are suffering the issues of connections intermitting please *dives for cover from stream of PMs*

Rone
14-08-2004, 14:26
Me please, me, me, me me me me .................. ;)

Mauldor
14-08-2004, 14:40
As a suggestion - maybe look through the logs (tech support this is) and look what was the problem last time as the problem is the very same, Modem Staying online etc but Intermittant connection problems.

If it helps any I am still on 1.5mbit and have not reverted back to 750 as per others, started happeneing about 2-3 days ago now (first thing i noticed of course was MSN keep going offline).

My Guess is a router or whatever you have in the path is faulty and maybe it was replaced thus fixing it, then somebody in there wisdom installed it back in?

Tezcatlipoca
14-08-2004, 14:56
Example IP addresses from those who are suffering the issues of connections intermitting please *dives for cover from stream of PMs*

Quick vouch for JAN -

JustAnotherN00b does indeed work for ntl, & is always very helpful, so it is perfectly safe to PM him your IP address & so on :)

Ignition
14-08-2004, 15:09
Quick vouch for JAN -

JustAnotherN00b does indeed work for ntl, & is always very helpful, so it is perfectly safe to PM him your IP address & so on :)

Could I also take your credit and debit card numbers, complete with any PIN codes, and verification codes on signature strips please, so that I can diagnose any possible faults with these too.

BootBlock
14-08-2004, 15:54
Right then!

I finally managed to get to speak to someone at Tech Support, which took an hour in total. Forty minutes of that being on hold.. doh. But anyway, I explained about the downgrade (they said as far as they can tell I should be on 1.5Mbps) and the connection problems.

To cut it short: they put me back at 1.5Mbps and.. it fixed it! For a while anyway, as I just this second got booted off of MSN. When they bumped the speed back up, I was able to view websites and downloaded the DirectX runtime without any problems.

When this problem originally started on Thursday, the day before I kept getting kicked out of MSN but was able to use voice chat, play games, etc, without any probs. So going on that, I assume Bad Things Will Happen(TM) tomorrow and Really Bad Things Will Happen(TM) on Monday.

Oh yeah - my IP address is 81.108.83.*, by the way.

Edit: Forgot to say, I'm still at 1.5Mbps. I wasn't able to connect to the modem's status pages (is the silver Ambit a budget CM or something? Its status pages make me vomit blood everytime I see them) all today until I got whacked up to 1.5Mbps. My diagnosis of the whole situation is: Summat's knackered, mother.

Edit 2: Also forgot to say that tech support said absolutely no-one else has reported this disconnection problem except for me. So I got the standard "It's your (crap) router!" about nine times.

Oh great - got booted out of voice chat. Yep, it's definately screwed again. :mad:

Ignition
14-08-2004, 16:23
Have had reports from 3 different areas, 2 diff uBRs on Scunthorpe and Manchester.
Please advise those with cpcx-scun1-x-x.nott.cable.ntl.com type addresses if this is resolved?

Rone
14-08-2004, 17:00
Well i spoke to a decent chap who said others HAD reported this problem [manchester] he spoke to a senior guy who had also heard of it.
He said if what we tried worked, would i post it. I gave him these threads to browse, but unfortunately it did'nt have any effect.[ the ideas, not his reading btw]
Ive been using it today and its been fine, its really annoying at times. ;)

BootBlock
14-08-2004, 19:06
Same here, Rone. I spoke to a decent bloke, although IIRC he said no-one else has phoned in about this, and I also told him about this thread (but he found it on his own pretty quickly), but it didn't give him any new ideas.

If you are experiencing this weird "disconnection" problem (seems more of a stall to me?), then please phone up NTL tech support! Tech support said the more people that phone, the more chance there is of tracking this problem down. And as only two people - including me - have phoned, it ain't looking too good.

Mauldor
14-08-2004, 21:06
Rang Tech Support and reported @ 8:30pm tongiht....
She told me that its effecting more than 1000 people and is on the list of things to fix as it were....

Told me the problem is a Oversubscribed UBR (if thats the right word) and re-seg will take place between now and sometime next week and will eventually sort itself out.. Running docs Diag to see if i can find a nice empty channel to jump too :)

Ok docs Diag Output:

UBR 10.138.40.0 at 2004 Aug 14, 21:23
Channel Freq Max Usage Users Min Ave Max
MHz kbps kbps ms ms ms
Dnstr 1 402.75? 30342 11421 408 15 49 406
Upstr 1 32.8 2560 140 53 16 52 360
Upstr 2 36.0 2560 91 22 31 37 78
Upstr 3 34.4 2560 422 36 15 51 391
Upstr 4 32.8 2560 815 95 16 56 406
Upstr 5 40.8 2560 327 103 15 52 266
Upstr 6 39.2 2560 167 99 16 38 79

Im on Channel 5 btw...Now Swapped to Channel 6 to see if that gets any better..

madman045
14-08-2004, 23:48
Not sure if this is related, but only tonight, the data light on my modem is constently flashing as is the wan light on my router, but im not sending or receiving any data.

Normally I get the odd flashing every few mins

I dont have anything except this open.

Its causing slow browsing & online gaming is impossible.

Im on the 1.5Mbit service

Edit: I think I know why now, seems NTL have moved me from the Nottingham server to the Leicester server, so I now have a Leicester IP & proxy which I wasnt & have never used since the years of having BB :(

nostra
14-08-2004, 23:56
the issue was finally raised as an issue by the FMT on your ubr bootblock, i actually had one other call with the same issue as you which i again chased up with senior techs before they said ok there is a problem and it is now a reported fault

Mauldor
15-08-2004, 02:10
Many thanks to all concerned - I want to thank the forum as this way we can get a good feel if more than one person is effected rather than just hoping people will call up as not everybody does, i know i was not going to bother as i know what i was going to go through, router not allowed, must plug into a pc on its own and all that.

Seems the advice of overcrowed UBR does not seem to be the case from my docs diag though i could be wrong. It would be nice to not only see a fault on Status page but also the resoloution as well - could be handy for future probs the same you see..

nostra
15-08-2004, 07:54
the fault only states packet loss on the UBR, nothing about over utilisation (aless the fault was updated after i left work at half eight)

Rone
15-08-2004, 10:56
the fault only states packet loss on the UBR, nothing about over utilisation (aless the fault was updated after i left work at half eight)

They let you go home as well??? :D

BootBlock
15-08-2004, 14:54
Er.. it's fixed! For me, at least. Although I have no idea why. I don't know if NTL did something, or if slapping the modem and router about a bit did it. I doubt what I did below did something, but I thought I'd mention it anyway..

I unplugged the CM from the router and turned it (CM) off for a minute while I got the USB drivers ready for installation. I also turned the router off. I plugged the CM back into the PC again but via a USB cable this time. Installed the drivers, and restarted as the connection seemed dead. PC rebooted, but connection was still dead. I decided to leave IE to do its crappy Detecting Proxy thing which never seems to work and bugger off for about ten minutes.

I came back and finally I had internet access again. I jumped onto a Ventrillo voice chat server and stayed for a while. No disconnections! My IP address had changed, but not by much: very last digit went up by 2. Uh.

Then I ripped out the yucky USB connection, turned CM off, plugged the CM into the PC directly, turned CM on again, and made Windows hand out a dynamic IP (I normally use static IPs on the LAN). Connected again to Ventrilo and it didn't disconnect at all. Things are looking good.. except for the router. I need to buy a wireless router anyway, so it wasn't so bad after all.

I then added the router back into the setup and it's been working fine ever since!

It can't be a lose connection because either the connection would be On or it would be Off. Anyway, Windows didn't complain about an unplugged network cable. The router could've been b0rked somehow and the power down fixed it. Hell, even turning the CM off for a while may have sorted it out. I had a Motorola SurfBoard 4100 at my old place, and so don't really have any experience with the Ambit.

But one thing: how come other people are getting the same problem? I can only really put it down to NTL having done something about it.

Hey Nostra - thanks for your help on the phone! Did that other person that called you have the exact same problem as me? If so, then thanks to you and whoever else sorted the problem out.. for me, anyway. ;)

TheAdmiral
15-08-2004, 16:09
Wow... glad I'm not the only one, actually.

I'm having exactly the symptoms JANoob described on page 3...
1) slow / intermittent browsing
2) packet loss while gaming / high pings
3) slow internet generally, timeouts on websites, email accounts
4) sub-standard speed uploads and downloads.
In fact...they are so exact it's almost scary. Woo. Hm.

However, I am not in scunthorpe! *shock*

I'm in Oxford, and I've been having these problems for a few months now (I've been so damn busy, I havn't had chance to do anything about it).

I'm using an old Terayon TJ210, which my friend reckoned might be causing the problem (he was switched to an Ambit and stopped having similar problems, but I'm not sure whether it's the amazing fix he thinks it is)

Once again, the connection drops but all the normal lights stay on.

Here's some exciting DocsDiag information, just in case someone is interested...

Ethernet single-collision errs.1 = 42
Ethernet multiple-collision errs.1 = 28
Downstream channel ID = 0
Downstream channel frequency = 402750000 Hz
Downstream received signal power = -3.9 dBmV
Upstream channel ID = 3
Upstream channel frequency = 25584000 Hz
Upstream timing offset = 15623 units of (6.25/64) microseconds
QoS max upstream bandwidth = 128000 bps
QoS max downstream bandwidth = 750000 bps
SigQu: received without error = 1526425600 codewords
SigQu: correctable errors = 1152720 codewords
SigQu: uncorrectable errors = 24128 codewords
SigQu: Signal to Noise Ratio = 28.1 dB
SigQu: microreflections = 21 dBc
Cable modem status = Operational
Upstream transmit signal power = 51.2 dBmV
Number of interface resets = 1
Downstream sync losses = 0
Invalid MAP msgs received = 0
Invalid UCD msgs received = 0
Invalid Ranging Responses rcvd = 0
Invalid Registration Resps rcvd = 0
T1 timer expiries = 0
T2 timer expiries = 0
T3 timer expiries = 23
T4 timer expiries = 0
Ranging Aborts = 3
Tx mini-slots used (contended).3934 = 0
Tx mini-slots used (dedicated).3934 = 1866503
Tx data re-tries.3934 = 0
Tx data retry limit exceeded.3934 = 0
Tx bandwidth req retries.3934 = 35396
Tx bw req retry lim exceeded.3934 = 1526
Date and Time = 2004-08-15,15:05:24.0+00:00
Configuration filename = tera210x-silver.cm

Hrm. That's about it really.

If someone could help or advise or anything, it'd be greatly appreciated. My younger brother is a gamer and I'm sick of him whining at me :D

Cheers

-TheAdmiral

nostra
15-08-2004, 19:30
it was EXACTLY the same issue as you even down to there being no packet loss to the Cable modem.

apologies for the small reply but on holiday from ntl for a couple of weeks and away from home having to make do with 9.6k internet via mobile

there was a raised fault reported on your ubr as a result and to be honest i left before a resolution was found... so im not sure if was has even been found... but it sounds like it has :)

Rone
15-08-2004, 20:02
1st 128K took 1109 ms = 118189 Bytes/sec = approx 983 kbits/sec
2nd 128K took 688 ms = 190512 Bytes/sec = approx 1585 kbits/sec
3rd 128K took 718 ms = 182552 Bytes/sec = approx 1519 kbits/sec
4th 128K took 735 ms = 178329 Bytes/sec = approx 1484 kbits/sec

My 1.5 [on a really good day] meg is spiking like *&^%

Sun, 15 Aug 2004 19:00:10 UTC
1st 128K took 719 ms = 182298 Bytes/sec = approx 1517 kbits/sec
2nd 128K took 703 ms = 186447 Bytes/sec = approx 1551 kbits/sec
3rd 128K took 938 ms = 139736 Bytes/sec = approx 1163 kbits/sec
4th 128K took 500 ms = 262144 Bytes/sec = approx 2181 kbits/sec

So is it over subscribed or has the "free upgrade" lol been a total waste of time?
I,m really getting to the point of junking the lot.
What is really annoying is, i have given up gaming , ntl is useless for online gaming, but now browsing is almost totally useless, the e-mail is the joke of the inet. :(

Mauldor
15-08-2004, 20:33
Well for me, it seems to have solved itself as others have posted here, MSn Stayed online, Gaming was fine last night, downloads making it all the way to the end and all web pages coming up straight away.

All I have done myself is change channel to 6 on SB4100 and forced a IP change by changing my MAC Slightly on my CM (only Way i know how to get a different IP)..

Not tested extensibly in any shape or form but seems ok at the moment..

Rone
16-08-2004, 07:40
Well my problem is going to be "escalated" and someone is going to ring me today.
At least when it was tested last night, the guy was pretty dismayed at my connection.
So thats 2 of us now. ;)

Eggo60
16-08-2004, 12:37
Hi,

I also have a simular problem, apart from only way to get internet to work is to use a proxy server.

ive tried refreshing the connection useing the windows xp feature which brings up an error

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2004/08/8.jpg

i also tried useing the ipconfig /renew fuction which dosnt work for me either, ive also tried reinstalling drivers, unplugging modem and leaving it for a while all with no luck, modem i use is the terayon tj210 and i'm on 1.5mb package and live in Nottingham area. if any one can help me i would be so greatful

ty.

Chris
16-08-2004, 12:48
Hi,

I also have a simular problem, apart from only way to get internet to work is to use a proxy server.

ive tried refreshing the connection useing the windows xp feature which brings up an error

http://img62.exs.cx/img62/7595/error10.jpg

i also tried useing the ipconfig /renew fuction which dosnt work for me either, ive also tried reinstalling drivers, unplugging modem and leaving it for a while all with no luck, modem i use is the terayon tj210 and i'm on 1.5mb package and live in Nottingham area. if any one can help me i would be so greatful

ty.

:welcome: to Cable Forum, Eggo.

If your internet connection is fine while using a proxy, but dire otherwise, then I'd guess the problem is with the local transparent proxy NTL forces you to use. Renewing your IP lease would have no effect if this is the problem, I'm afraid, and nor would reinstalling your drivers etc. Manually specifying a proxy server is the only way to get past a b0rked transparent proxy, AFAIK. If you were finding your service was useless no matter what you did, there could be all manner of things wrong which people more technically minded than me would have to advise you about.

Have you contacted NTL at all?

Eggo60
16-08-2004, 12:54
thanks for the fast reply and for the welcome,

no i havnt contacted ntl yet, as i thought problem might had been something small that i had overlooked, but it sounds pretty bad so i will have to get me step dad to give them a ring once he arrives home.

Chris
16-08-2004, 13:00
thanks for the fast reply and for the welcome,

no i havnt contacted ntl yet, as i thought problem might had been something small that i had overlooked, but it sounds pretty bad so i will have to get me step dad to give them a ring once he arrives home.

Personally I wouldn't worry about it too much - call them of course, as it might just bring the problem to their attention more quickly than if you leave them to spot it themselves. But if you hang round here any length of time you'll learn that many of us make a hobby out of mucking about with our proxy settings. I normally find I can get pages more quickly if I choose my own proxy, instead of relying on my local transparent one.

Everything you need to know about proxy settings is to be found here:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/trancache.html

Rone
16-08-2004, 13:29
Well its now 1:30 pm and still no phone call from NTL.
I live in hope. :(

Rone
16-08-2004, 15:21
Wooot just had a call from a nice chap from NTL, who lives in "our area" as it were, and he had a similar problem last night.
Looks like its been sorted, so lets hope it stays steady.
Its easy to complain, and it really annoys me when something IS done and nothings said.

SO THANKS TO ALL THOSE INVOLVED :tu:

TheAdmiral
16-08-2004, 17:03
Glad to hear it!

Is Scunthorpe still being flakey? I know Oxford is. :(

Rone
16-08-2004, 17:52
Spoke too soon, i,m doing a test d\load [the 3rd one] and i,m getting from 170 - 25 kbps on 1.5 meg.
Just like last night.
And if that stupid tart who says this "all at no extra cost" [cos its NOT] one more time...................

hawkseye000
16-08-2004, 18:20
i'm in blackburn and experiencing the same as you guys... it seems like a pretty widdespread problem... there are a couple of other threads on this forum detailing similar issues... msn signing out, browsing slow (personally i need to refresh about 3 times per webpage before it loads it correctly)

stuG
16-08-2004, 18:25
hawkseye000, have you reported to tech support?

hawkseye000
16-08-2004, 18:39
no, not billpayer, but will get parents to do it tomorrow

Rone
16-08-2004, 19:07
I waited 25 minutes to speak to a guy who could'nt find any record of my complaint from last night, or who rang me today.
He didnt know there was a problem, he said i can put you through to someone else, waited over 10 minutes and gave up.
I mean it didnt say the usual "you might be waiting hours" as i then ask the wife to do me butties, and put a new blade in the razor. ;)

Maybe if a few peeps there read this forum, stuff might get sorted out.
No offense to the regular guys here who get stuff done.

mcfc2134
16-08-2004, 21:43
I'll be honest, I've not had chance to read through the whole thread, but does this sound like the same problem that you lot are having?

Every now and then MSN and ICQ will disconnect and take a few mins to come back on. I listen to a lot of streaming audio, and this cuts off and then times out alot recently. Also, I'm struggling to download through port 80, it cuts out, downloading through port 81 seems to solve this though.

Sound familiar to anyone? Only really started happening over the past week or so.

Cheers

Tim

TheAdmiral
16-08-2004, 22:03
I'll be honest, I've not had chance to read through the whole thread, but does this sound like the same problem that you lot are having?

Yup...sounds like it.

None^
17-08-2004, 07:38
Lo peeps,

I have been suffering the same problems... Only noticed this thread yesterday.

My initial problem started last Thursday - complete loss of connection for a solid 2 hour period. Again, yesterday the same thing happened, completely lost my connection for 20 minutes, then it suddenly came back.

Now, a few peeps here have mentioned online gaming as being unplayable - I am getting this exactly. While downloading seems ok (when my connection is up) i have what seem like massive lag spikes. This is also noticable when pinging the game server IP's.

I have had 1mb broadband for over a year with no problems (apart from email :dozey: ), but everything else has been superb. Now i have 1.5mb it seems to have gone downhill, especially in the gaming dept, which is what i use my connection for most.

Engineer is coming today, Ill post the outcome of this (if any) when i have more info :)

PS I'm Baguley (Cheshire) Area

Rone
17-08-2004, 07:46
Well its looking like some of the original; fears that the network "cannot cope" is the answer? Or maybe the equipment, who knows.
Why else would almost 2 yrs of reliability on 1meg now be replaced by 2 weeks of cruddy connections and browsing?
Or are there just too many customers. These problems seem to be spread over a few regions, and it seems its a lot of the 1meg customers who are getting shafted.
"And all at no extra cost" grrrrrrr. :mad:

Siuko
17-08-2004, 09:01
Just thought I'd add Derby into the possible affected areas.

Had stable 1mb STB access for about 18 months... now I have the new samsung box access drops (the green internet light goes out) about 3-4 times a day and the STB requires a restart.

ANORAK2001
17-08-2004, 11:43
I'm using EMule/bit Torrent etc and ever since I recieved the new samsung SMT 2100c EMule does not work correctly.

Downloads speeds are at 1-2k and upload speed decreases if my downloads increase. also browsing web pages is VEEERRRYY SLLOWW if EMule is running.When I close EMule web browsing speeds up. Downloading from web sites is fine just as long as I close EMule (Even if nothing is in the download queue)

It seems the only solution is to get my old pace box back. I'm on the 600k service so it can handle the 750k speed upgrade those of you on the 1mbit connection will have to chose between having either samsung 1.5mbit with no P2P OR the pace with P2P but no speed upgrade. Is this the beginning of the end for P2P?????????????

PS.. I have also tried Bit Torrent, Shazzer etc but no use they do not work with the new Samsung boxes.

Chrysalis
17-08-2004, 14:09
is it only 1.5meg users affected? if so I would say it could be a problem with just that configuration rather then ntl's network otherwise all 3 tiers would be seeing the problem. I am on 750kbit and haven't got the issue.

hawkseye000
17-08-2004, 14:22
no i'm on 300k

TheAdmiral
17-08-2004, 14:36
is it only 1.5meg users affected?

No, it appears to be affecting all 3 tiers.

Mauldor
17-08-2004, 15:11
Think we have a few different problems here, the Scunthorpe One - to my Knowledge was thus, although the connection on the modem stayed on, it actually was disconnecting as it were somewhere down the line (NTL End) and thus if you happen to browse a web page at that second, page not found (so you refresh and it works evetnually). If you were say downloading a file, it Physically looses the connection for a brief second, thus downloads fail randomy. The same with Games, MSn etc, as it is loosing connection, then you Lag out, get kicked and so forth...

Now we in little old Scunthorpe had this problem before the 1.5mbit upgrades (and other speeds of course) and problem was sorted. I have not had any single problems since reporting both on here and on the phone - unlike some people who posted, i never got reverted for exmaple to 750/1mbit etc, so maybe this was a different problem from the one reported..

Since my last post ivs not had any more problems as such so unless somebody says different, i presume NTL Fixed the UBR Loss in the Sunthorpe Area...

Rone
17-08-2004, 15:30
Mine seems to mostly ok during the day [my work is mainly home based]
so from time to time i can see problems developing. This problem seems to start about 6-7pm onwards, making me think its when the population of manchester start browsing, tho it has been dodgy on some afternoons.
Its been solid so far, since it started spiking last night again, so tonight will be a test for it.

Eggo60
17-08-2004, 18:08
Personally I wouldn't worry about it too much - call them of course, as it might just bring the problem to their attention more quickly than if you leave them to spot it themselves. But if you hang round here any length of time you'll learn that many of us make a hobby out of mucking about with our proxy settings. I normally find I can get pages more quickly if I choose my own proxy, instead of relying on my local transparent one.

Everything you need to know about proxy settings is to be found here:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/trancache.html

thanks for the link i was reading through it and seems pretty intersting, i was however woundering if its possible 2 manualy jump to another transparent proxy instead of waiting for the one i'm forced to use comes back online, reason i ask this is because i'm having trouble accessing some online games and some other programs reporting unstable connection (such as all seeing eye) while useing a proxy.

thanks in advance.

punisher100
17-08-2004, 19:40
having alot of problems here In Scunthorpe - North Lincs

Connection seems to drop without warning sometimes after 1 min other times after 5 for 10-30 secs at a time.

Cable Modem Lights all stay on during this, and the cable tv hasn't been having any problems. It occurs when im playing online games (get the no data from server error) when im using msn messenger (suddenly kicks me offline) and even when im web browsing, (pages dont get fetched for the brief time its messing around)

it started 2 days ago, and has now escalated to being so frequent thats its impossible to connect to games servers and at best i get 3 mins of msn chat b4 i have to re login.
Ive also gone through firewall logs and nothing really stands out.
i think im connected to the nottingham proxys.

anyone have any ideas?hi guys im having the same problems slow browsing etc but it is worst when you are playing online games and loose the connection!
tried calling ntl but i got put on hold:mad:

i am in st ives cambridgeshire (east anglia;) )

Chris
17-08-2004, 22:32
thanks for the link i was reading through it and seems pretty intersting, i was however woundering if its possible 2 manualy jump to another transparent proxy instead of waiting for the one i'm forced to use comes back online, reason i ask this is because i'm having trouble accessing some online games and some other programs reporting unstable connection (such as all seeing eye) while useing a proxy.

thanks in advance.

You can't switch to a different transparent proxy - the whole point of them is that they function as if they weren't there, so you don't have to muck about setting them up on your PC. As it happens, an NTL proxy that you might choose at random from Robin's help pages - say, for example, one of the Luton ones, will operate for you as a specified proxy if you put one of them in your settings, but for someone living in Luton, with no proxy specified, that same machine will act as their transparent proxy server. To complicate things, a proxy that is b0rked as a transparent can still work perectly well if specified, and vice versa.

As for what to do about online gaming - well, these are web cache proxies we're talking about. I'm not sure what impact, if any, they have on you connecting to game servers. I would suspect none at all, in which case your problem lies somewhere else. However, I am way out of my depth here. We have some PC gamers on the forum, maybe one of them can suggest something.

Eggo60
17-08-2004, 23:22
thanks again for your reply,

i gueese i will have to get back on the phone to ntl again and try and get the problem sorted.

Rone
18-08-2004, 07:29
I have given up with online gaming atm, its been a waste of time recently.
If it ever becomes really stable again, then maybe i might start again.
Last time i had a decent time of things, was at a Lan. :(

Rone
19-08-2004, 10:47
Just had an NTL van down the avenue so i accosted the driver when i saw him peering in the cabinet.
I told him about the spiky connection [he had come to change my neighbours dodgy Set Top Box] and his first words were, "yes i can see why".
As we are in a small avenue we are right at the end of the chain if you like, our box has no amplifier booster [my best description] and the signal is weak. Hes reporting it and it should get sorted. As i type its spiking everywhere.
So hats off to van man [ a very helpful bloke], and a big boo hiss too whoever else didnt think of checking it. :(

BootBlock
20-08-2004, 14:52
Argh, it's happening again! SOMEONE SAVE ME! :mad:

BootBlock
20-08-2004, 17:16
I can't seem to edit my post anymore..?

Well, anyway.. this connection has become unusable. It keeps dying every few seconds, and takes about ten seconds to come back again.

I'd be amazed if this post.. er.. posts.

paulyoung666
20-08-2004, 17:27
I can't seem to edit my post anymore..?

Well, anyway.. this connection has become unusable. It keeps dying every few seconds, and takes about ten seconds to come back again.

I'd be amazed if this post.. er.. posts.

well it has , the reason you cant edit your post is because there is a time limit on editing , not sure how long it is though :(

zally
20-08-2004, 19:02
Yup, its back for me again in Scunthorpe :rolleyes:

nopcode
20-08-2004, 20:59
Wow hey, im getting deja vous again. Hi mauldor again :) and thanks for that great outline of the problem in previous post.

Same stuff again , funny thing is this time i checked my cable modem log (TJ210) and it actually showed up the sync losses that it didnt b4.

However Im not getting totally d/c from game servers and msm this time.

In, games ill get a flickery screen that looks like im gonna lagout then after a few secs a big spike of data sends the pc crazy and it works again (to many many calls from other players of LAGCHEAT or hax!! lol)
MSM is similar, it looks like the contact has gone offline, then all of a sudden ill get 3 msgs from them all at once, usually like (ARE U THERE !!!!!!!!)

Web browsing still throws up the page not found errors, and when i'm d/l files , the Zone Alarm green led meter visibly freezes on the lowest bar for up to minutes at a time, then restarts. (this makes streaming content un watchable tho)

Sigh nothing to do but talk to the g/f , man I hope it fixes soon!! lol

Just one thing, its after all this crappy rain again!!! lol maybe time to move from "sunny" scunthorpe

nopcode
20-08-2004, 21:29
..........i ask this is because i'm having trouble accessing some online games and some other programs reporting unstable connection (such as all seeing eye) while useing a proxy.
I dont see how the web proxys affects the games, unless maybe a game needs to display a webpage as part of its interface, (like in gamespy)

If your laggy and jumpy and you are sure its not your end, (tried all the usual CS advice reboot modem / STB etc) You can sometimes still game on dodgy connections by lowering the internet connection setting in whatever game you are using.
Usually from cable (which is actually usually optimised for higher upload b/w than NTL provides) to a setting like 128kbps or even use the 56k dial up settings.
This way even if you are not getting full b/w the game may still chug along happily.

TheAdmiral
20-08-2004, 21:35
still happening in Oxford, too.

Rone
20-08-2004, 22:00
NTL is past being any good for gaming.
Fortunately its ok for browsing and e-mail. :p:

zally
20-08-2004, 22:37
trace route to Europa/Ultima online, 3rd hop looks good :td:
Host Name IP Address Hop Ping Time Ping Avg % Loss Pkts r/s Ping best/worst
* Unknown Host * 0.0.0.0 1 0ms
nott-t2cam1-a-v139.inet.ntl.com 80.4.47.69 2 8ms
nott-t2core-a-ge-wan74.inet.ntl.com 80.1.79.73 3 243ms
lee-bb-a-so-300-0.inet.ntl.com 62.253.185.33 4 9ms
lee-bb-b-ae0-0.inet.ntl.com 62.253.187.186 5 9ms
man-bb-a-so-700-0.inet.ntl.com 62.253.185.193 6 10ms
man-bb-b-ae0-0.inet.ntl.com 62.253.187.178 7 12ms
sl-gw11-lon-8-0.sprintlink.net 213.206.159.245 8 18ms
sl-bb21-lon-11-0.sprintlink.net 213.206.128.58 9 17ms
* Unknown Host * 0.0.0.0 10 0ms
* Unknown Host * 0.0.0.0 11 0ms
* Unknown Host * 0.0.0.0 12 0ms
* Unknown Host * 0.0.0.0 13 0ms
* Unknown Host * 0.0.0.0 14 0ms
* Unknown Host * 0.0.0.0 15 0ms
* Unknown Host * 159.153.156.150 16 21ms

nopcode
20-08-2004, 22:41
The problem with traceroutes etc, is they only work when u can actually get a connection :). It's the intermittent loss of connection that boots you off msm, games and the like !
Try a traceroute then and see lol

Bubo
20-08-2004, 23:29
Scunthorpe. I concur. Starting to get very fed up with ntl. *goes off to check if BT adsl is available to me*

Gaz22
20-08-2004, 23:43
Does anyone get the message "finding site: (your homepage)" when you open your browser? After waiting does it then give you a "page cannot be displayed error"?

BootBlock
20-08-2004, 23:52
Does anyone get the message "finding site: (your homepage)" when you open your browser? After waiting does it then give you a "page cannot be displayed error"?Yep. I have to hit refresh a couple/few times to get it to finally load. The page error is because the NTL connection stalled or whatever the cause of this problem is. Do you use MSN or anything that maintains a persistent connection? If so, you should see it lose its connection if it's the same error as some of us are getting, which I'd guess it is.

I wanted to buy something online tonight, but that would be a very bad idea until this gets fixed.. :rolleyes:

nopcode
21-08-2004, 00:00
Does anyone get the message "finding site: (your homepage)" when you open your browser? After waiting does it then give you a "page cannot be displayed error"?
yep sure do

Bubo
21-08-2004, 00:01
Have we ever had a full explanation as what what is causing this and what theyve done each time to fix it? Will probably save time the next time I ring em up about this if I can say, "You know when you did xxxxx, do it again cos its buggered up again"

Gaz22
21-08-2004, 00:05
Well then my problem must be related to all yours. I made a topic about my problem (its just a few topics down from this) and am going to get a network card (I'm using USB now), but if its an area problem then it won't be anything to do with my modem.

I'm so confused. :(

I'm in the Belfast area by the way.

Mauldor
21-08-2004, 00:07
I personally can not belive it me, first time fair enough, second time suppose it could happen but this is now the thrid time and i would say its probably worse this time that the last two. I am seriously thinking of also Getting ADSL - not saying that i wont get this problem on there (as I probably will) but i dont want to pay £37.99 a month for a connection that works *some of the time*, Email *none of the time* and so forth...

Guess i will be calling them up on Monday..... Not sure which department yet though... prob Cancellations this time...

nopcode
21-08-2004, 00:11
The last 3 times this has happened, CS always follow their fault finding process, and then tell me they can see me, so it MUST be my PC

This is beginning to annoy me, especially as enough people have called CS they should surely enter a note on the server status page.

Im beggining to feel sorry for the peeps in southampton BTW, that server problem hasnt been fixed that dates back to april? or somthing. Maybe us in lincs can have a competition with u to see who has an unfixed connection the longest.

Gaz22
21-08-2004, 00:17
What basically happens for you lot?

For me: I get the "finding site" error (that I explained above) then my modem lights would go out and reset. When I try browsing again, two things can happen; either my connection comes on again or I get the "finding site" error. This repeats itself and I am getting sick of it.

Is my problem related to all of yours?

nopcode
21-08-2004, 00:19
my problem is the same as mauldor, cable lights stay on, pc disconnects all the time.

Mauldor
21-08-2004, 00:26
Well Let me tell U what I get, prob same as rest of Scunthorpe i imagine - the modem lights Stay on for definate, no errors in the modem log. Now your browsing a site say - PAGE NOT FOUND - hit refresh and evenatually page comes up.

MSN - Keeps going offline, though you dont know its gone offline straight away - so you contine chatting then you get a list of "This cannot be sent as you are not signed in". Happens like all the time, very annoying to say the least.

Downloads, Stop randomly as it looses all internet connection, yet the modem as i said is still online. Playing Games (online obiously), either Lag or you get booted all the time, makes playing online games a watse of time.

First time it happened, was fixed magicly but no-one ever told us what was wrong or how they fixed it. Second time, now its one of the following depends on who you beleive I guess:

Oversubbed UBR - area needs Re-Seg
UBR Loosing Packets or something (maybe its got a leak?)
Magic Elfs biting the cables in the street (LOL)
Anyhow, we in scunthorpe are getting a bit sick to be honest, did i mention a lot of Scunthorpe can Get ADSL no problem upto 2mbit anyhow??? Is that why NTL Let me pay £17.99 a month for 3 months when i last said cut me the hell off? I was going to stick with NTL to be honest as 37.99 although not happy with, still happy i guess i get 1.5mbit/256 - would jump to 750 but the 128 upload is not my bag baby....

Does that help?

Nikko
21-08-2004, 00:38
This is definately a magic elves problem - the best thing to do is move somewhere civilised.

As soon as you join the rest of the known universe, all your connection problems will disappear.

Or, you could try specifying a proxy - just sometimes local network problems occur.

Mauldor
21-08-2004, 00:55
This is definately a magic elves problem - the best thing to do is move somewhere civilised.

As soon as you join the rest of the known universe, all your connection problems will disappear.

Or, you could try specifying a proxy - just sometimes local network problems occur.Specifying a proxy does not help in the slightest, ive tried all proxies and still the same problem, it seems it is indeed loosing connection somewhere in the Loops but not enough to knock the cable modem light out (i know i feel like knocking it lights out sometimes --LOL). FTP does not use proxy and thats been stopping as well :(

civilised you say, thats a funny word to use for ADSL :) Actually living in this backwater does have some very good advantages you know - too many users on your UBR - lol not if you live in Scunthorpe it aint - not enough of us here to overload it :) Generally over the last errm 5 years i think (give or take a year) its been fine on the whole - I keep telling them to take out that faulty switch/Ubr or whatever they have (string maybe?) and it will fix it you know...

Actually Just had a mad idea what it is, its Friday night right? NTL Engineers got a tad drunk and having a bit of a laugh unplugging then re-plugging the cable in saying such jolly things as "bet this annoys the punters mate --lol"

nffc
21-08-2004, 01:00
Not sure whether this is the same problem, but one that's onyl occured since the upgrade...

Sometimes the router reports there's no internet connection, I can ping the router but not the CM, and can't connect to the net.

Normally powering off the CM and rebooting the router solves it, but it's god-damn annoying having to do that...

It's pretty intermittent- it's cut out overnight before and whilst I've been on the internet.

TheAdmiral
21-08-2004, 02:18
What basically happens for you lot?

For me: I get the "finding site" error (that I explained above) then my modem lights would go out and reset. When I try browsing again, two things can happen; either my connection comes on again or I get the "finding site" error. This repeats itself and I am getting sick of it.

Is my problem related to all of yours?

This is a different problem, I'm afraid. Our cable lights all stay on.

At least with yours, you can tell CS that it's actually turning off.

We get "Well, I can see you modem, so it must be your PC"...
If they did a constant ping test over a few hours, they'd probably find something...

nopcode
21-08-2004, 02:32
This is kinda wierd but ive found a (temp) solution :)

Those free aol trial cd's that usually bug the hell outta me.
Yes the dial up wont let me d/l big files, but i can email, browse and play my games.

hidden saviour in AOL I NEVER thought id say that.

and its my 3rd free trial too. $

Chris W
21-08-2004, 03:29
methinks i should have read this thread sooner because everyone seems to be posting their problems in this one!

Eggo60- i seem to have misplaced you ip address that you gave me on msn, so if you can send me the mac address of your modem i will check everything on the ntl side for you.
The problem you are having doesn't sound like a proxy issue, as this would not affecting gaming, ftp, email etc...

TheAdmiral- from the look of your docsdiag info, the power level seems to be the problem there, if you pm me your mac address i will check that it is running ok and there are no strange things going on in your area. I will also run the continuous ping that you mentioned on monday (you will need to disable any firewall software you are using) so you can have the results of that as well.

Mauldor- If changing upstream channel improved your connection, could you please let me know which UBR you are going through, as this may well be a problem with one of the cables that needs investigating further. Also i doubt that you changed the mac address of your cable modem because then you wouldn't be able to get on the network... i am sure you meant/ router/ nic.

Rone- i very much doubt that over-utilisation is what is causing your problems, although i am prepared to be proved wrong. Your area would not have been upgraded if the network could not cope with it- hence why in certain places SACM users are still on 150/600/1mb. PM'ing me your mac address might let me find out what is really going on.

and finally... nopcode- good luck trying to remove that lovely AOL software from your pc when you decide you want to get rid of it... in my experience, the best way to get rid of AOL is "format c"

And to all of the above mentioned people- if you PM me any details please also include in the message a reminder of what the problem is, and what i said i would check, otherwise i have to open your profile, find your recent posts, re-read them, etc and i have barely enough time for all this extra work i am giving myself as it is! **wonders why he does it... guesses he must love his job... dismisses this as a silly idea, decides he must just be mad**
And one last point to clarify- to phone technical support you do not have to be the account holder. We can do most things without having to clear Data Protection.

And now that i have found myself lots to do on monday... i'm going to bed :)

goodnight! :monkey:

Rone
21-08-2004, 07:07
Thanks for the offer of assistance its much appreciated. I've sent you the deetz via pm.
They should give you a payrise imo, and asap. ;)

N1ch0l
21-08-2004, 08:21
I live in Lincoln, and have had my modem randomly disconnect every so often for the past few days or so. The last time it happened, which was last night, I got a new IP. I was hoping it was the speed upgrade, but tests show it wasn't.

Personally, I don't bother with ntlworld's help line anymore. I can't be done with trying to explain my problem several times to someone who's passed a crash course on the internet.

Mauldor
21-08-2004, 12:09
MonkeyBreath - Im PM you me Address Page of my CM - though I def think its a local area problem as in Scuntorpe Region, I dont for example Grimsby or Nottingham have these probelm as they connect eventaully to the same Proxy etc.....

Its def Loosing COnnection (loosing Packets maybe) on router from the cable modem to the head end (ooh big words) - whatever it is, it does not disconnect your lights or generate any errors in the Cable Modem Itself. It has been fixed Twice now, so maybe if possible check the logs to see what work was carried out Scunthorpe way, this may well help..

Thanks for taking a look once again and if at all possible (not sure if NTl Allow this) but can you report on here what the actual problem was?

Rone
21-08-2004, 14:08
Mine just cut off for about 10 secs, then came back on, no reboot nothing.
Why did they have to screw up a good [if not perfect] connection.
First no gaming , then cruddy email, now no browsing.
I wonder if that still classes them as an isp. :(

obvious
21-08-2004, 14:33
Exactly the same problems here. Intermittent huge slowdowns or complete stalls when browsing, ftp, nntp and mail. Sometimes the cable modem lights will change but most often the modem remains 'active'.

Have had an 'engineer' out twice. The first one removed the attenuator without checking the dB levels. I asked him what the power levels should be and he said "no idea mate".

Guess what the second engineer did? He replaced the attenuator. I told him that the problem happened both with and without the attenuator and he said that perhaps the original problems were not with the cable modem but could be at the box or the head end.

So anyway, back to square one with dodgy intermittent service. dB at -3 (which is fine) and wondering when the extended reach adsl will finally come to the Neath exchange.

Bubo
21-08-2004, 23:47
Got back in today at about 8pm and cable light on modem was out. Its only just come back on. Hopefully they've had the thing off while they sort this problem. Not done anything to check dropouts yet but touch wood, theyve done something.

BTW how do you get these modem reports, db levels and such like as that?

BootBlock
22-08-2004, 00:14
Whatever NTL did, if anything, it seems to have fixed the problem for me. I suspect though that it somehow "fixed itself". Oh yeah - I noticed that it was working at 8pm; no idea when it did actually start working, though.

BTW how do you get these modem reports, db levels and such like as that?Open up your browser and type in http://192.168.100.1 (http://192.168.100.1/) and then the modem info pages should appear. Although, to be honest, the Ambit (silver cable modem) pages are almost completely useless compared to the older Motorola SurfBoard, etc, modems. Gah.

Edit: Oh, the admin user/pass should be admin / admin. Not really sure.

Mauldor
22-08-2004, 00:48
Well I ran Tech Support, told them of the said fault, check my connection (all about 8pm) and crap as ever. Later on (about 10pm i think) i chnaged MAC address of Router again, tested connection and bugger me, worked 100% fine - now im guessing that indeed a tweak someone has been done though it got me thinking, what happens if my Mac address is the same (possible i guess) as someone else on the CM network? would it fail to get a IP or cause problems?

Here is hoping something has been done and is all well again but i also hope that MonkeyBreath etc maybe look into this problem on Monday even if sorted and find out what was wrong so we can Self Help next time for a quicker resolution to the problem. If its a piece of NTL equipment then fair do's not much we can do about this but if its another reason then we need to know....

Bubo
22-08-2004, 01:43
Yeah, can't emphasise anymore how important it is for us to know what is causing this particular fault given that it has happened 3 times now and each time seems to miraculously go away.

nopcode
28-08-2004, 02:25
What anoys me the most is that when it happens I call CS and they never sort it. Most common answers are "your pc is at fault" or "it will be fixed soon".
They just don't seem to realise that although I don't mind a net outage from time to time, its always at those times I can actually get 5 minutes to myself. I.E > the few times im not busy with day to day routine like work/sleep/g.f. It ALWAYS seems to be when i need to unwind and do a lil relaxing webcrawling/gaming/chatting that it messes up.

PS, and I hate being charged for recieving MSM remote messages on my mobile, when 4 or 5 people im chatting to, all send me msgs just as I go offline.

Rone
28-08-2004, 08:46
Monkeybreath also had a dig into my connection, and it seems there were 2 problems, i already had an engineers visit booked.
1: was a bad connection in the little brown box attached to the wall outside, the engineer said it had'nt been made to well, and was deteriorating a little.
2:i live in a small avenue, right on the end of the system, evidently boxes in the "middle" if you like, have a signal amplifier, my box does'nt and the signal at the box was low.
All i can say is the guy knew exactly what he was doing, he went about it very professionally, checking each bit in turn, and so far no cut offs, and the connection is certainly improved. I cannot say tho that all of us are going to have that same problem, but thanks to Monkeybreath for his time, and to the NTL guy for doing a good job.

DrToxic
28-08-2004, 09:56
I've had a very similar problem with my cable modem. A couple of days ago, I lost all the lights for well over 24hrs, so I called NTL and arranged for an engineer to come out. The engineer was due to come round Thursday between 12pm and 6pm, so I made sure I was around. Around about 3pm, all the lights came back on so, as this was the first time it had been working in over 24hrs, I assumed that the engineer had done something in the green box around the corner from my house. I used the connection for about a couple of hours and everything was fine. It got to around 5:50pm so I assumed the problem was solved and the engineer wasn't gonna come round to confirm what he had done and check everything was working (which wouldn't be the first time), so I popped round my mates next door. At 6:15, an I noticed an NTL van parked outside my house, so I ran out to catch him but unfortunately he drove off. I didn't think this would be a huge problem as everything had been working fine for a few hours. I popped back into my house to check that everything was still working and to my horror, the lights had gone out again :mad:

They did come back on after a few seconds, but ever since, every so often they'll go off for anything between 10 seconds and an hour and then they'll come back on again. Incidently, whenever the lights go off, my TV also goes off at exactly the same time. Is this happening to anyone else, or have I got a totally different problem :confused:

TheAdmiral
28-08-2004, 13:41
Well, the engineer came... take a quick look at the power, said it was OK, and then said he couldn't do any more.

:mad:

NTLs system upgrade this weekend means that he couldn't try a new cable modem... so overall, that was a complete waste of time.

Now, my downstream signal level, as reported by DocsDiag, is currently -4.3dBmV . As far as I'm concerned, this is *too low*. But how can you argue with a man who's job it is to test that?

The SNR is also a bit too low at 26.6 . Furthermore, I'm getting uncorrectable codewords at a rate of 100 a minute.

It's just a bit annoying that when the system upgrades are done, I'm going to have to ring NTL again and get another engineer out to try a new modem.

:(

Bubo
18-09-2004, 22:54
As I've said in another thread, this has started yet again. So may as well resurrect this thred also.

TheAdmiral
19-09-2004, 00:32
Never stopped for me. Aparently there's something in the range of 70% packet loss on my line.

I was ment to have another engineer out on thursday. Did he turn up? not a chance...

Earliest time I can do again is *next* thursday. All the while i'm paying for a faulty line.

Cyrill666
20-09-2004, 14:35
Just lost my connection for a few minutes... Stockton-on-Tees :(

(has been happening noticably for around a week now) - rebooting the cable modem seems to sort it for a while.

nopcode
21-09-2004, 01:26
Kinda funny but, its back but not as bad as before.
Current symptoms

1. all downloads seem to drop and restart after 40 or seconds, http and ftp
2. online games dont disconnect me, but sporadic spikes occur, (no data , then all of a sudden everything on screen goes crazy till it settles (as it dosnt d/c me i have abused these spikes ;))
3. Very often web pages refuse to load depsite page refreshes, then for a few mins its ok , then back to a "waiting for website blah blah blah msg"
4. If i try a different web proxy I get no connection at all. (is there some sort of auto block on specifying other proxies?)
5. Certain sites seem to have given up alltogether, i.e geocities hosted, and a few cd burning related sites like afterdawn and cdfreaks ( is this a filter?)
6. Streaming media never plays smoothly, even on 128kbps settings, (i have 750 kbps) to many reconnects to make it worth watching

all the time, cable modem connection light stays on, and the data light seems to flash a hell of alot.
Yes I have virus and adware scanned, all clean
Yes all Windows updates are applied.
And yes same setup that works fine, 60% of the time, then gets these rather annoying service problems.
And No ,not called cs yet, I was kinda hoping it would resolve automagically as before.

markmarkymark
21-09-2004, 09:41
Nopcode...

I'm getting some of this in the Reading area .... in particular I am finding your number 4 'proxy' a real issue. For some reason some of them will refuse to work at all - this is a new problem since I used to be able to put any NTL proxy in from one end of the country to the other and would get results.

Anyone else seen this specific issue ?

Mark

Bubo
21-09-2004, 20:41
Yesterday it was alright, played online games for a good couple of hours and not one freeze. Then just had a 20 minute session and it froze 3 times again. A couple or three times while its been like this since friday, I noticed it froze the moment I pressed the mouse button to fire. Now that is some amzing coincidence or something to do with upstream traffic as far as I can tell. Doubt it is my pc or software as it is this thread is testament to the number of people it affects, and also I've reinstalled windows to try and get rid. Will ring cs in the morning. What really annoys me is that we are no nearer knowing what the hell is causing this in the first place, and why does it magically fix itself? To me this is looking very much like the service in my area is becomming oversubscribed. Well whats the point even having the service if it can't be used for what I want most, which is online games. Losing hope here.

Tezcatlipoca
21-09-2004, 21:20
Nopcode...

I'm getting some of this in the Reading area .... in particular I am finding your number 4 'proxy' a real issue. For some reason some of them will refuse to work at all - this is a new problem since I used to be able to put any NTL proxy in from one end of the country to the other and would get results.

Anyone else seen this specific issue ?

Mark

ntl have changed the format of (some of) the proxy names. It could be that the ones you are trying are now in the new format.

List of "old style" proxy addresses:

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/kb/47/list-of-ntl-proxy-servers-old-format

List of "new style" proxy addresses:

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/kb/84/list-of-ntl-proxy-servers-new-format

nopcode
21-09-2004, 23:02
Ty matt illl give em ago tommorow when i get up, hopefully solve the web browsing if nothing else

Ignition
22-09-2004, 11:25
Now, my downstream signal level, as reported by DocsDiag, is currently -4.3dBmV . As far as I'm concerned, this is *too low*. But how can you argue with a man who's job it is to test that?

Nah, that's alright sir, -4.3 is workable. :)

The SNR is also a bit too low at 26.6 . Furthermore, I'm getting uncorrectable codewords at a rate of 100 a minute.

That on the other hand is a bit dicey and will be the source of your codeword issues and probably the packet loss too :( . However I have a feeling that the SNR on your upstream is actually far worse and is probably the source of your problems, either SNR or return power issue.

TheAdmiral
22-09-2004, 16:29
However I have a feeling that the SNR on your upstream is actually far worse and is probably the source of your problems, either SNR or return power issue.

Yeah, most likely. I should have an engineer coming out tomorrow... hopefully he'll be able to do more than the last time. I think it's probably the modem to be honest... it's an ancient terayon.

Bubo
23-09-2004, 21:18
Its been abyssmal in Scunthorpe tonight for me. What I seem to have noticed via playing CoD, is that when the problems occurs, which was a good every 3-4 minutes tonight, all upstream traffic completely stops and downstream traffics slows to an absolute crawl. That info of any use? Old Terajet210 modem here also.

ntluser
23-09-2004, 21:30
Its been abyssmal in Scunthorpe tonight for me. What I seem to have noticed via playing CoD, is that when the problems occurs, which was a good every 3-4 minutes tonight, all upstream traffic completely stops and downstream traffics slows to an absolute crawl. That info of any use? Old Terajet210 modem here also.

Some problems to consider are:-

a) you have a virus or spyware on your system
b) you may have interference from your firewall
c) your modem has problems.

Try the pcpistop site and/or the symantec online scan which will test your machine and may provide a few clues as to what's going wrong.

nopcode
24-09-2004, 01:14
funnily enough, i have a terrajet too :)

No viruses found, problems even when firewall is disabled, (using msconfig to disable too)

I heard from time to time they push newer firmwares out for modems, could this be related? either its not being recieved properly (causing reinits) or maybe we need one? lol

btw. I tried other new proxies as mentioned earlier, pages load faster, but still get the "freezes" and have to refresh almost every other page to get it to display

markmarkymark
24-09-2004, 04:59
was terriblw in the the Reading area from1030 pm onwards (unuseable)....seem sorted now at 0459 ....

Mark

Bubo
24-09-2004, 20:32
Some problems to consider are:-

a) you have a virus or spyware on your system
b) you may have interference from your firewall
c) your modem has problems.

Try the pcpistop site and/or the symantec online scan which will test your machine and may provide a few clues as to what's going wrong.
I know it can't be a virus or the firewall because I restored a ghost image from when I first installed a virgin xp a year ago and applied sp2 before even connecting to the net and the freezes happen immediately. For info, I was using sp1a before doing this restore so its not sp related. Been using the default sp1 firewall, zonealarm and now the default sp2 firewall. NO difference in freeze times. How is the modem covered by ntl? When I originally subscribed to broadband I chose the 5 quid a month rental option, which I no believe has been absorbed into the standard charge. So can the modem be replaced by ntl foc?

Tezcatlipoca
24-09-2004, 20:34
How is the modem covered by ntl? When I originally subscribed to broadband I chose the 5 quid a month rental option, which I no believe has been absorbed into the standard charge. So can the modem be replaced by ntl foc?

Yep. The modem is supplied by ntl as part of the subscription. If it goes wrong, they should replace it for you for free.

Carth
30-09-2004, 20:41
:mad: here we go again .... adding to what must be a contender for the longest running thread on here .... and for good bloody reason !!

Hey, did I mention that last time I went through this crap I complained and got ONE MONTHS REBATE on my connection ... I didn't :shocked: well I'm telling you now guys ... so go for it :p: This is not a 24/7 connection. This is not what I'm paying £24-99 a month for. It seems that it is a company trying to keep 20 balls in the air with both hands up its arse. Whatever the problem is, it seems NTL are incapable of fixing it permanently.
I'm not having a go at the mods on here that are working hard to resolve many issues, but for crying out loud ... if there's a problem no-one can resolve just tell us - give us our money back - and we'll **** off somewhere else job's a good en :mad:

By the way, spent 1 hr on the phone 2 days ago trying to get through to CS ... eventually answered and asked for my postcode ... the guy said "oh sorry, you've got through to Teeside, I'll put you through to the right area office .... click .... recorded message .. sorry, due to the extremely high amount of callers trying to get through please try again another day ... click .... disconnected :mad: :mad:

..... am I annoyed ?? .... answers on a postcard 'cos EMail don't work :rolleyes:

BootBlock
30-09-2004, 20:46
I don't have anything to contribute except for a "me too". This "stalling" crap has started happening to me again today (30th September) and .. sigh.

Carth
30-09-2004, 21:02
It's a ****** take m8, I bet all the top NTL geezers are on AOL :p: :p:

Had a very important tourny match tonight, 8 pm start, and this crap happens again :disturbd: oh well, time to go back to BT I s'pose :tu:

Carth
30-09-2004, 21:14
A mate has just got this installed ... 1mb connection £29-99 a month ... if you can get rid/disable most of the AOL garbage that comes with it it's a steal.

http://www.aol.co.uk/products/broadband/platinum/index.html?promo=508378

..... me waits for post to get deleted ... gasp shock horror :D

zally
30-09-2004, 21:28
My con has been like it since 28th (scunthorpe area) my "Activity" light hardly flickers, as before it was constantly on. I play Ultima Online and i get dis-connected from server every 2 mins, most web pages dont load and i have to refresh them, get no help on help line "It must be your computer thats at fault".
Was convinced it was SP2, so i un-installed that, but guess what, it wasnt.

Carth
30-09-2004, 21:40
Hehe, I didn't let SP2 get anywhere near my comp, Microsh1te are about as reliable as this lot just lately :) If it wasnt for Linux not supporting most of the apps I use and games I play, I'd be on it in a flash ... mind you it's getting better all the time .. give it another year and Windows may well be defunct lol.
sometimes I wonder why I keep replying 'cos it takes ages to post the ****ing message lmao

Carth
01-10-2004, 21:10
Well blow me :rolleyes: same thing tonight ... cut off every 2 mins or so
hmmmm, now let me think .... aaaah I'll call CS ....
NO POINT AT 10 PAST 9 IN THE EVENING :mad: :mad: :mad:

oh well, looks like another £25 NTL won't be getting.

FFS....

staple
02-10-2004, 09:31
seems like everyone has got the same problem again after only a day of having my connection back somethink has got to be sorted with this

nopcode
07-10-2004, 19:49
same here again, for the last 2 days been getting slowly worse. Game server d/c chat server d/c, web browsing makes me scream in angst.

Tried different proxies, they still seem to hang everyother page with a DNS error, sigh my finger is getting RSI from clicking refresh all the damn time

+ the damn TV is playing up, on demand has no sound, and interactive+tv guide never loads. This is bad shiz

BootBlock
07-10-2004, 21:01
HTTP is almost completely and utterly dead here, hurrah! :mad:

Edit 1: CHRIST, NTL. SORT THIS CRAP OUT. I have to scour Google/Groups for programming resources, but I can't. I'm getting extremely f***ing p***ed off, here.. :grind:

Edit 2: Great. I just lost this post because it timed out. There needs to be more anger-related smilies because NTL customers sure as hell need them.

kazandy
07-10-2004, 21:51
i am also in scunthorpe and i am having the same problems

Carth
07-10-2004, 23:11
whey hey, another good thursday evening in the Scunny area lads :p:
here we go then, some problems to consider are:-

a) you have a virus or spyware on your system .. not unless you count NTL as a virus
b) you may have interference from your firewall .. why do I need a firewall ? bugger all can get down the cable cos I can't connect to anywhere
c) your modem has problems ... Yep, it says NTL:HOME on it

am I starting to annoy anyone ? ....... GOOD !! if I can't do what I pay to do, the only alternative is to come here (when connected) and spout this garbage. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

mcfc2134
07-10-2004, 23:57
Not sure if this is the same problem or not.

Been browsing fine, and still am now. However, my IM client (Trillian) will not connect to any server (i.e. msn, icq, yahoo). I also can download through port 80 but not port 81.

Its not a firewall issue as its always been fine till tonight. Checked the server status which states there are no problems.

Any ideas anyone please?

carlingman
08-10-2004, 01:42
whey hey, another good thursday evening in the Scunny area lads

a) you have a virus or spyware on your system .. not unless you count NTL as a virus
b) you may have interference from your firewall .. why do I need a firewall ? bugger all can get down the cable cos I can't connect to anywhere

am I starting to annoy anyone ? ....... GOOD !! if I can't do what I pay to do, the only alternative is to come here (when connected) and spout this garbage.

Ok lets start at the beginning with your post here.

Hi guys, I'm down the Berkley area, it's been crap for a while now. MSN don't stay connected for more than 2 - 3 minutes, online gaming is a joke ( spawn, run for cover, ping out, die) :banghead: I got so wound up with not being able to contact NTL that I sent a complaint in ( *cough* rather hastily written .... ooops :blush: ) No reply yet, mebbe they're still trying to decipher some of the words lol. I ended up ringing the support number (0845 whatever) and a guy named Andrew told me there was an issue with oversubscribing, which they are trying to resolve :rolleyes:
Sure hope its sorted soon cos the wife keeps hinting at decorating

So tech support told you they are trying to resolve the problem see no issue there.

next excuse ?? hmmmm Global Warming ;)

..... the way things are going, oversubscribing is something that NTL may not have to worry about

Ah I am guessing the 2nd post was humour so we will ignore that.

Cheers STEVE H, any help is appreciated 'cos it's getting real bad over here. I've got withdrawl symptoms ..... and she's talking about buying WALLPAPER tomorrow fer crying out loud !! You gotta help me out of this one

edit: I get pages not loading on this site Jarvvo, I need to keep hitting refresh until it loads properly

Your 3rd post again humorous and a thanks as they were in the process of rebalancing the UBR.

really strange jarvvo, :shrug: I've got no ntl mail working, but hotmail is ( aint it strange how all that useless junk stuff manages to get through lmao) and msn is almost instant disconnect

Your 4th post was not specific enough to diagnose any problems.

Hi Goo, welcome to the Scunny gamers problem page lol
Its bigger than a green box problem m8, seems to be in patches nationwide.
Mebbe someone shoud ring Bill Gates and ask what the h*ll was in the last critical update hehe

Your 5th post is more humour and maybe a network problem.

Yeah I started thinking of changing provider, but to be fair to NTL this is only the second time in 3 years that I've had a problem thats lasted more than one day .... and if lots of folk leave, it means I probably get a more stable connection

Your 6th post praises NTL for 3 years of faultless service.

Well I 've just had a quick 10 mins frag on Spearhead with no problems (apart from some wierdo with a rocket launcher that just wanted to try and kill the pidgeons on the roofs ? ) Browsing, EMail and msn seem ok so thanks to whoever did whatever whenever

Later guys, I've got to go and hide the paint and paste gear now

Your 7th post again more humour I presume and all working fine.

here we go again .... adding to what must be a contender for the longest running thread on here .... and for good bloody reason !!

Hey, did I mention that last time I went through this crap I complained and got ONE MONTHS REBATE on my connection ... I didn't :shocked: well I'm telling you now guys ... so go for it :p: This is not a 24/7 connection. This is not what I'm paying £24-99 a month for. It seems that it is] a company trying to keep 20 balls in the air with both hands up its arse. Whatever the problem is, it seems NTL are incapable of fixing it permanently.
I'm not having a go at the mods on here that are working hard to resolve many issues, but for crying out loud ... if there's a problem no-one can resolve just tell us - give us our money back - and we'll **** off somewhere else job's a good en

By the way, spent 1 hr on the phone 2 days ago trying to get through to CS ... eventually answered and asked for my postcode ... the guy said "oh sorry, you've got through to Teeside, I'll put you through to the right area office .... click .... recorded message .. sorry, due to the extremely high amount of callers trying to get through please try again another day ... click .... disconnected

..... am I annoyed ?? .... answers on a postcard 'cos EMail don't work

Some 2 months later when I am assuming everything has worked fine.

Your 8th post here mentions a contender for the longest running thread hmm I think not have a look a round.

You then get a rebate which is not an easy thing to do.

You complain then about 1 hour on the phone well take a look around thatâ₠¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢s not a bad wait time compared with others.

The disconnected calls are inexcusable from them but thatâ₠¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢s life with NTL.

Oh yeh and an attempt to bypass the forums swear filter thrown in for good measure always a good idea.

I gotta agree with you Steve, the whole communication thing is a shambles.
I'm also starting to look around at ASDL alternatives. Even though they won't be a match for NTL on a good day, I fear we won't be getting many good NTL days in the future ... and all I want is a decent full time 24/7]connection. Don't matter if it sometimes falls below the stated speeds as long as it doesn't cut off every 2 mins

I'm thinking of ringing the Samaritans ........ to tell them NTL are commiting suicide LMAO

Your 9th post and I agree NTL+Communication = Shambles.

Things have moved and I think you will find plenty of ADSL providers are more than a match for NTL and can offer a 24/7 connection without the cap.

It's a ****** take m8, I bet all the top NTL geezers are on AOL

Had a very important tourny match tonight, 8 pm start, and this crap happens again oh well, time to go back to BT I s'pose

Your 10th post another attempt to bypass the swear filter.

More humour and a threat of going back to BT now there was me thinking you were looking for a decent Broadband provider.

Your 11th post unrelated and about AOL so not posting that.

Hehe, I didn't let SP2 get anywhere near my comp, Microsh1te are about as reliable as this lot just lately. If it wasnt for Linux not supporting most of the apps I use and games I play, I'd be on it in a flash ... mind you it's getting better all the time .. give it another year and Windows may well be defunct lol.
sometimes I wonder why I keep replying 'cos it takes ages to post the ****ing message lmao

Your 12th post not NTL related just another attempt at bypassing the swear filter.

Well blow me same thing tonight ... cut off every 2 mins or so
hmmmm, now let me think .... aaaah I'll call CS ....
NO POINT AT 10 PAST 9 IN THE EVENING

oh well, looks like another £25 NTL won't be getting.

FFS....

Your 13th post again another attempt to bypass the swear filter but this confuses me why the hell are you calling CS surely you should be calling Tech Support and then threatening to withhold payment is not a good idea.

Wheeeeeeeeeeeee great fun aint it folks. I could be happily playing online now, but CAN'T

just sent this email to ntl via their web page ....

well hello again ... remember me from about 3 months ago ?? Problems with broadband connection that is 5 mins on, 2 mins off (repeat endlessly ha ha). started Thursday 30/9/04 (but could have been earlier as I was working late for the previous 2 days) and is still with us,(I say us because I am not alone in scunthorpe with this problem). The last time it happened it wasn't resolved until about Tuesday of the following week. Needless to say I am not happy at the prospect of another long weekend of non-active internet. I personaly don't give a hoot about the 600 to 750 upgrade if this problem is going to keep reccuring .... I just want a constant 24/7 connection so I can enjoy what I pay for.
I also tried to ring CS twice last week to cancel my TV but was unable to get through (disconnected after being shunted about), so this happening aswell has made me a VERY unhappy chappy. Thankyou for taking time to read my second rant, but remember ... 3 strikes and you're out.

I also got a full 1 month refund last time I sent one, so give it a try.

Your 14th post an email sent to them, well a Tech who received that probably would not have a clue what you were referring too and would not respond to your threats of 3 strikes and your out.

Your 15th post was good advice directing someone to the NTL contact us option.

Your 16th post is unrelated to this so again I wonââ‚Âà ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢t quote it.

DN15 still no good for online games, browsing etc isn't to bad, I just keep hitting refresh

Your 17th post is not exactly helpful as more info would be needed to diagnose a problem.

Yeah we know you lot do your best m8, and we appreciate it, although it may not look that way from the bitter and sarcastic posts in many of the threads < insert hand raised smiley here. You probably get as frustrated and disheartened as we do too. I think most of the frustration on this side of the fence is the difficulty encountered trying to get through on the phone lines, and the repetative basic solutions offered when (if) we do.
Sign of the times now though, everything is going the same way .... if you take your car in for a service it comes back with more scratches and dents than if you left it in Morrisons car park during a chav meet /joke/

Thanks for the info and fix anyway

Your 18th post and again it looks like they have done something right and you have praised them for it and good on you for acknowledging that fact.

mebbe it's because we're a sad bunch in Scunny no social life, we just sit in front of the comp all day hogging the bandwidth

I was told of the UBR problem way back in June (?) mebbe we should all chip in and buy the relevant new hardware needed ... for our own convenience :shocked: :D

or have a rota system for the weekends :LOL:

Your 19th post is another attempt at humour and more humour suggesting you chip in and buy a UBR. Well steer clear of that and concentrate on trying to get NTL to recognise the problem and address the issue.

Have you followed up directly on this and asked if there is still a UBR oversubscribed issue as from your posts it would appear not.

Your 20th post again is irrelevant to this thread so again I wonââ‚Âà ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢t quote it.

Your 21st post again is irrelevant to this thread so again I wonââ‚Âà ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢t quote it.

whey hey, another good thursday evening in the Scunny area lads :p:

am I starting to annoy anyone ? ....... GOOD !! if I can't do what I pay to do, the only alternative is to come here (when connected) and spout this garbage. :mad:

Your 22nd post and again a humorous attempt to have a dig at NTL and yet another attempt to bypass the swear filter here.

By spouting this garbage here as you put it will not annoy NTL as this site in case you have not noticed is nothing to with NT L.

You may though however alienate all the NTL employees who will stop by and read your comments and in fact do nothing but make a resolve slower.

minor fault ???? ....... oh stop it, your killing me.

well its phone for me tomorrow ....... no matter how long I'm on hold .......

I bet BT are laughing their socks off at this mess, it would be interesting to know how many sign up enquiries they've had in the last 2 weeks

Your 23rd post and this is the most sensible option out of the lot, but do make sure you phone Tech Support this time not Customer Services and be calm and tell them the exact problem rather than threats to cancel and you may find you get more of a positive response.

:clap: well said m8, until they can get the present stuff running right there's no point even considering a 3mb connection

Your 24th post and something I agree with and it goes back to the basics of learning to walk before you can run.

have you uploaded anything to it yet ??

Your 25th post well I am guessing the user has as he mentions he has tried ftp.

Anyhow enough of my spiel (thanks god I hear you all cry) but Carth do not take this personally as it is nothing against yourself but just a pointer to others.

Coming on this forum and shooting your mouth off and by passing swear filters will get you no where fast.

A more reasonable approach would be to start a thread posting your system set up with as much details as possible and as much detail of the problem as possible and what you have tried to resolve this and an excellent guide to this can be found in Ignitions post found
here (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=15305)

Remember at the end of the day this forum is not NTL owned and for issues like oversubscribed UBRs this can normally only be resolved by a rebalance which can only be requested by NTL or brought to their attention by one of the NTL employees that post and read here against the wishes of NTL in some cases.

These peeps in some cases are putting themselves on the line to help out here.

If after that you fail then you have only option and that is to walk with your feet to another provider.

Darren Wilson
08-10-2004, 10:44
This is getting beyond a joke now.

For the past 5 weeks I have been experiencing virtually the same problems here in PE29 postcode (Papworth UBR) and this monring alone I have had to reboot the Surfboard 4100 4 times due to total packet loss. It wouldn't be so bad usually but being off work sick and trying to catch up with what bits of work I can do from home is becoming impossible now when I use Remote Desktop from my notebook to my workstation in the office. Nothing to do with the PC's as the modem is going through a router which is testing out 100% fine. No Spyware or other nasties on any of the 4 systems that are present here at home. Firewall certainly not blocking anything that it shouldn't be. These issues have only started since the upgrade to 1.5mbps (I had plenty of issues prior to the upgrade though a few years back which were resolved thanks to Ptarmigan). Even friends are having similar problems.
The CAB that I connect to was partially open last week and thought that this may have been causing the problem, but from looking out the window, it is now fully enclosed again. I was even thinking it could be the Surfboard 4100 starting to play up or a bag config file, as each time I need to cycle the modem to regain a connection.
Getting very peeved at NTL now especially as I have had to phone them up every month for the past 3 months due to them taking payment each month from one of my credit cards for the bills WITHOUT my permission even after I have told them to remove my card details (can you say FRAUD NTL???), and now the credit card company and my solicitors are looking at legal proceedings over this fraudulant use (each month they have made me exceed my card limit incurring extra charges from the card company).

Bubo
08-10-2004, 13:54
snipped
O_o

nopcode
08-10-2004, 20:51
woohoo, It seems us in scunthorpe have finally had our problem recognised officially!!!!

http://www.ntl-isp.ntl.com/ServiceStatus/

check out the entry for scunthorpe

Recognition of your foe is the first step at least !!

Carth
08-10-2004, 23:44
@ carlingman

no probs bud, nice post ..... bet it didn't take you 7 attempts did it :p:

my connection problem is still here .... along with my attitude towards incompetence

bye y'all :rofl:

carlingman
09-10-2004, 02:15
@ carlingman

no probs bud, nice post ..... bet it didn't take you 7 attempts did it :p:

my connection problem is still here .... along with my attitude towards incompetence

bye y'all :rofl:

Well actually it did take me a few attempts to post it but it was nothing to do with my connection more to do with the fact i had to strim out the maximum amount of smilies and images used.

Still stick with my original thoughts and post a new thread with your problems and hope it gets picked up by a passing NTL person and escalated.

BootBlock
13-10-2004, 15:04
Okay.. that wasn't good. My connection was dead for two days and it's only just come back. I hope NTL fixed the problem and it wasn't actually related to it getting worse..

BootBlock
16-11-2004, 20:47
Dunno about anyone else, but it's come back for me. Goes off for a few hours, comes on for a couple of minutes, and repeat.

nostra
16-11-2004, 21:48
have you checked the diagnostics on the cable modem? to see whats going on

BootBlock
16-11-2004, 23:08
Yep, done all that. As far as the modem, router, and PC are concerned, everything is fine. Something of NTL's is completely buggered in Scunthorpe..

Mauldor
17-11-2004, 03:27
Hmmm odd - as lack of posts by me suggests that ive not had any problems since the last bout (while ago i think) - As a suggestion - if you can force a New Ip , see if that fixes it .. if your on a router, chnage MAC by one digit, reboot the lot :)

Bubo
17-11-2004, 19:56
I just noticed very choppy performance in mohaa online game, was ok yesterday. Web browsing seemed laggy too, some sites timeing out.

Salu
11-05-2005, 10:51
Ive have a similar problem as described by various people above..

Long pauses (up to 10 seconds) when playing games sometimes leading to loss of service. Cable modem reboot seems to fix it temorarily. Slow browsing etc...

I was told by Tech services that the UBR is over subscribed. There are 518 people on it. How average is that? Anyone know.

Engineer booked to come out.....