PDA

View Full Version : Reviving interests and hobbies.

Maggy
02-07-2004, 15:59
I've been getting back into my art interests this week.

As usual with me it's become a bit of an obsession.

I was enjoying these today and decided that not only were they good enough to eat they good enough to sketch.

Anyone else revived any old hobbies or interests lately and have you any pictures to show us?

Incog.

Bex
02-07-2004, 16:10

I was enjoying these today and decided that not only were they good enough to eat they good enough to sketch.

Anyone else revived any old hobbies or interests lately and have you any pictures to show us?

Incog.
you drew those? if so wow your good :D

i've started writing again. i write short stories and trying to write a novel

Bifta
02-07-2004, 16:11
I bought a new mixer for my "hobby" yesterday :D

http://www.se-an.co.uk/newmixer.jpg

Maggy
02-07-2004, 16:12
you drew those? if so wow your good :D

i've started writing again. i write short stories and trying to write a novel

Got a plot or a theme/genre to tell us?

Incog.

Bex
02-07-2004, 16:13
Got a plot or a theme/genre to tell us?

Incog.
one is: sci-fi philosophy type book. been writing it for four years now *sigh*

the other is: a work in progress at the moment. am sorting out the characters and the plot

Chimaera
02-07-2004, 16:27
Well I go to calligraphy classes at the moment - but I used to do patchwork and quilting. I have more than enough stuff to do a couple of quilts - the idea was to make two and give them to my daughters to pass on through the family - well the stuff is still in the loft after I don't know how many years! :rofl: However I am now getting around to designing one for me as a prototype - then who knows? ;)

Jon M
02-07-2004, 16:30

Incog.
If you want to.. try signing up to this site : http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=14160

It's great for sharing artistic inspiration and has a very good community feel once you get into it.

aliferste
02-07-2004, 16:31
I fly-fish for trout! :)

skyblueheroes
02-07-2004, 16:33
I play golf and football. Enjoy listening to music, reading and playing online games.

Sounds like a CV !

I've got an ambition to be a sitcom writer and have a great idea, just not sure where to start !

Maggy
02-07-2004, 16:34
I fly-fish for trout! :)

Do you make your own flies?

SMHarman
02-07-2004, 16:36
I bought a new mixer for my "hobby" yesterday :D

Wouldn't it be better to swap the sub and printer locations? That Sub won't help the tracking on the decks.

Maggy
02-07-2004, 16:38
Well I go to calligraphy classes at the moment - but I used to do patchwork and quilting. I have more than enough stuff to do a couple of quilts - the idea was to make two and give them to my daughters to pass on through the family - well the stuff is still in the loft after I don't know how many years! :rofl: However I am now getting around to designing one for me as a prototype - then who knows? ;)

I like calligraphy too but I've had to give up on it because I can't grip the pen well enough to complete any work properly.Drawing and sketching don't seem to require the same sort of grip luckily. :)

Maggy
02-07-2004, 16:40
Wouldn't it be better to swap the sub and printer locations? That Sub won't help the tracking on the decks.

Smack!!Don't start a techy discussion here.Tell us what hobbies and interests you have instead. :D

Bifta
02-07-2004, 16:43

Now see, that's what I was told, but there's around 5g's on the cartridges and it never skips even with my harsh back cueing. It's only there temporarily though as I've ordered a new desk

http://www.htfr.com/more-info/?catno=MR45541

Chances are it'll go at the bottom (in the middle) of that.

Chris
02-07-2004, 16:50
I used to love writing, and started a novel a couple of times, but got nowhere ... teenager, lack of focus you see. :) I'd like to get down to it seriously and get something published though. I had a crack when I was on a train from Edinburgh to Glasgow recently, and concocted a short story based on my observations during the journey, which was an interesting exercise. I think I'll look for an opportunity to do it again.

I also like hill walking, which I have not had much opportunity to do living in Hertfordshire! Thankfully I am shortly off back to Scotland and all being well will have Ben Lomond in my back garden before the end of the year. Should help me get fit too.

Maggy
02-07-2004, 16:51
I used to love writing, and started a novel a couple of times, but got nowhere ... teenager, lack of focus you see. :) I'd like to get down to it seriously and get something published though. I had a crack when I was on a train from Edinburgh to Glasgow recently, and concocted a short story based on my observations during the journey, which was an interesting exercise. I think I'll look for an opportunity to do it again.

I also like hill walking, which I have not had much opportunity to do living in Hertfordshire! Thankfully I am shortly off back to Scotland and all being well will have Ben Lomond in my back garden before the end of the year. Should help me get fit too.

Got any piccy's from the hill walking?

Chris
02-07-2004, 16:54
Got any piccy's from the hill walking?
I have a fantastic one from the top of Goat Fell, Isle of Arran, two years ago, but it's pre-digital. We've packed a lot of stuff away with getting ready to move, but if I can find it, I'll scan and post it. I'm quite pleased with it as I had to line it up, guessing where I was going to be, and then balance it on the trig point. (I was on my own that day).

Maggy
02-07-2004, 16:58
I have a fantastic one from the top of Goat Fell, Isle of Arran, two years ago, but it's pre-digital. We've packed a lot of stuff away with getting ready to move, but if I can find it, I'll scan and post it. I'm quite pleased with it as I had to line it up, guessing where I was going to be, and then balance it on the trig point. (I was on my own that day).

Look forward to seeing it. :tu:

Marge
02-07-2004, 17:23
I'm going back to the gym next week and there will definately NOT be any pics of that :erm:

Maggy
02-07-2004, 17:30
I'm going back to the gym next week and there will definately NOT be any pics of that :erm:

I think that comes under the heading of activity not interest or hobby.

So got any interests or hobbies? Are you into DIY?Weaving?Photography?

Incog. :)

SMHarman
02-07-2004, 17:42

You should take one for yourself, so you can have a before and after.

Marge
02-07-2004, 17:49
I think that comes under the heading of activity not interest or hobby.

I think it will be "interesting" once I get on the treadmill ie how long before I need mouth-to-mouth.

I would like to go to nightschool to learn another language but work till 8pm so I've no chance, perhaps a change in career is needed or marry a millionaire ;)

dilli-theclaw
02-07-2004, 17:57
MMMmmm Hobbies - I like modelling (specifically star trek space-ships)

And um - computer stuff of course.

Other than that I'm just a boring type of person.

Maggy
02-07-2004, 18:07
MMMmmm Hobbies - I like modelling (specifically star trek space-ships)

And um - computer stuff of course.

Other than that I'm just a boring type of person.

Got any pictures of the models? :)

dilli-theclaw
02-07-2004, 18:11
Got any pictures of the models? :)
I'll take one and post it when the little'un has gone to bed :)

kronas
02-07-2004, 18:11
i want to revive my interest around here, spread the news/knowledge/opinion around here :)

Maggy
02-07-2004, 18:14
i want to revive my interest around here, spread the news/knowledge/opinion around here :)

You really have no hobbies or interests apart from the PC?

You don't write,paint,take photos or play an instrument?

dilli-theclaw
02-07-2004, 18:15
play an instrument?
Hey - that's a thought - I used to play the flute - does that count:)

kronas
02-07-2004, 18:16
You really have no hobbies or interests apart from the PC?

You don't write,paint,take photos or play an instrument?

i like to partake in football matches (if anyone is around,rarely) or a general kickabout (usally on my own) bought a euro 2004 ball :p:

also i like music as well (not just av) i also like to write poetic/my feelings about something.....

Maggy
02-07-2004, 18:20
i like to partake in football matches (if anyone is around,rarely) or a general kickabout (usally on my own) bought a euro 2004 ball :p:

also i like music as well (not just av) i also like to write poetic/my feelings about something.....

Well poetry is a really personal issue so I would understand if you didn't want to share but I'd still like to read some of your work. :tu:

Maggy
02-07-2004, 18:21
Hey - that's a thought - I used to play the flute - does that count:)

Of course it does!!

kronas
02-07-2004, 18:21
Well poetry is a really personal issue so I would understand if you didn't want to share but I'd still like to read some of your work. :tu:

lost all of it when my hard drive crashed :( :eeek: :mis: i suppose if i have ever have a clear head again as i used to ill try again.........its just sometimes you cannot reproduce certain moments/words/feelings :(

dilli-theclaw
02-07-2004, 18:22
The Delorean in the middle and the enterprise on the left is one of mine - I'll try to get a better picture later.

Halcyon
02-07-2004, 18:28
- Music production

- Mixing progressive Trance

- Going out to watch films with friends

- Collecting cool stones and rocks

- Walking in the countryside/ mountains

- Game Cubing.

Maggy
02-07-2004, 18:29
lost all of it when my hard drive crashed :( :eeek: :mis: i suppose if i have ever have a clear head again as i used to ill try again.........its just sometimes you cannot reproduce certain moments/words/feelings :(

Oh that is a shame.I hope you are backing up your work now so you have a copy somewhere?You are young and one day it it will be nice to look back at what your younger self had to express about the world.It might even be nice to show to any children,perhaps to even publish.

kronas
02-07-2004, 18:30
Oh that is a shame.I hope you are backing up your work now so you have a copy somewhere?You are young and one day it it will be nice to look back at what your younger self had to express about the world.It might even be nice to show to any children,perhaps to even publish.

hang on coggy, im not that good :erm: i might have a try sometime, if i can sort my head out first :D :( :disturbd:

Maggy
02-07-2004, 18:36
- Music production

- Going out to watch films with friends

- Collecting cool stones and rocks

- Walking in the countryside/ mountains

- Game Cubing.

Don't suppose there is any way we can 'hear' your music? :)

Chris
02-07-2004, 18:40
Look forward to seeing it. :tu:

Well, I looked and it's in a box that's already gone to hide in the in-laws' spare room. We've been house doctoring!

Maggy
02-07-2004, 18:42
Well, I looked and it's in a box that's already gone to hide in the in-laws' spare room. We've been house doctoring!

Never mind.Perhaps when you have moved,settled in and got dial up sorted we can see it.

Incog.

Marge
02-07-2004, 18:42
At the risk of ruining my tomboy reputation :erm: I collect Cherished Teddies, have about 30 of them. They cost anywhere between £10 and £20 each.

kronas
02-07-2004, 18:44
At the risk of ruining my tomboy reputation :erm: I collect Cherished Teddies, have about 30 of them. They cost anywhere between £10 and £20 each.

nice..........ill be in your collection if ya want, and some more features are intricately crafted....dare i say ;) :p: :D

Maggy
02-07-2004, 18:45

Can't say I think of you as a tomboy Debs.

I'm enjoying this thread.I feel like I'm getting to know a little more about my fellow CF members.Makes them seem more rounded. :)

Incog.

dilli-theclaw
02-07-2004, 18:46
Can't say I think of you as a tomboy Debs.

I'm enjoying this thread.I feel like I'm getting to know a little more about my fellow CF members.Makes them seem more rounded. :)

Incog.
I'm very rounded ;) But that's enough about my weight :)

Graham
02-07-2004, 22:46
Anyone else revived any old hobbies or interests lately

Not really revived any old ones, but I'm going to start surfing sometime in the next few weeks and I'm going skiing next winter.

I may well take my camera and do some pics when I'm there, so that could count, I suppose.

and have you any pictures to show us?

Not unless you want me to be banned again! :naughty:

But all the photos on my site are my own work.

Colin
02-07-2004, 23:10
In my pre smoking days (going on 7 months now, woo hoo) i was a really good runner. I am thinking about taking up that again, maybe train for a half marathon or something

Bex
02-07-2004, 23:11
In my pre smoking days (going on 7 months now, woo hoo) i was a really good runner. I am thinking about taking up that again, maybe train for a half marathon or something
you gave up 7months ago? flipping hell time has flown :Yikes:

Colin
02-07-2004, 23:12
- Music production

ws going to ask before, and this thread is the perfect oppotunity as i wouldn't mind hearing anything you've mixed Halcyon, is there anyway to do that?

Halcyon
02-07-2004, 23:19
Don't suppose there is any way we can 'hear' your music? :)

There will be as soon as I get my website sorted and I will upload clips and stuff on there. Most album material still needs mastering and work done to it so I hope to get a mini album sorted out end of summer.

Thats hoping I dont get side tracked as at the moment I've been going out celebrating the end of my uni year more than producing.

Other hobbies I have include:

(Dont laugh) I used to collect sugar packets. I still pick up the odd unusual ones from around the world. They have so many different pictures and stuff on them.

- Computers and technology and all that.

Colin
02-07-2004, 23:26
you gave up 7months ago? flipping hell time has flown :Yikes:

yup, beginning of Jan :D

Richard M
03-07-2004, 01:46
My main two hobbies are creating music (http://www.richardm.co.uk/music/) and PC gaming.
Not much I know, but it's something. :)

luftys
03-07-2004, 15:12
I make model soldiers from lead pipe,using moulds,but the girls hate the smell

do a lot of painting,oils,water ect

and make models just made one of a church 18incx18inc for a church up north

Earl of Bronze
03-07-2004, 15:46
Well at the moment I wargame (sad I know) usually once a week, and roleplay (really sad, I know) once a week. Thats about all I can hack at the moment.

I used to skydive quite a bit, and have 312 jumps in my logbooks. I had hoped to start BASE Jumping this year, but with the accident I dont know if I'll be able to skydive never mind BASE. :cry: I also used to build and paint models and diorama's, and I'm a huge reader. I have about a thourand books in my personal library. :erm: Though most of them are boxed up and in storage. I used to play rugby, but my right shoulder is too shagged out for that any more, so I might see about another couching course, and put something back.

tick
03-07-2004, 16:36
Mt mates and me getting ready to get lost
( I walk up hills and then down)

aliferste
03-07-2004, 17:24
Do you make your own flies?

I certainly do :)

Maggy
03-07-2004, 18:45
I make model soldiers from lead pipe,using moulds,but the girls hate the smell

do a lot of painting,oils,water ect

and make models just made one of a church 18incx18inc for a church up north

Oooo that is nice luftys.Did you ever make a dolls house for bexy?

Maggy
03-07-2004, 18:48
I certainly do :)

Got any to show us? :)

Incog.

aliferste
03-07-2004, 18:53
Got any to show us? :)

Incog.

hmmmm, Ive been meaning to take some pictures for my fishing dairy anyway...

http://theriverkelvin.co.uk/blog/

Will take some and post em, they are nothing special though...just little trout flies :)

Tricky
03-07-2004, 20:35
Used to play golf approx. 6 times a year and then stopped about 6 years ago due to losing all my balls on one hole (see attachment) started again last April and now I am a member at the course that made me give up the game... Still hate that hole though... :grind:

Image (C) Willow Valley Golf and Country Club

Maggy
04-07-2004, 15:22
Used to play golf approx. 6 times a year and then stopped about 6 years ago due to losing all my balls on one hole (see attachment) started again last April and now I am a member at the course that made me give up the game... Still hate that hole though... :grind:

Image (C) Willow Valley Golf and Country Club

Do you have any less physical hobbies or interests? :)

Bifta
04-07-2004, 16:07
So um, yeah, I never did mention what my "hobbies" were (hobby is such a "Fist of Fun" word too ;))

I mix/scratch all sorts of music, vinyl only atm, thought I'm probably selling both turntables to buy a pair of decent CD decks.

I design web sites, though that's not really an interest any more as I do it for living.

I'm planning to take up Sea and game fishing soon, use to do a lot of course match fishing but there aren't many course angling spots round here.

.. and I do a spot of digital photography, owing to the amazing scenery around where I live

Chris
04-07-2004, 20:20
So um, yeah, I never did mention what my "hobbies" were (hobby is such a "Fist of Fun" word too ;))

Ah, I wondered when we'd get round to the infamous Simon Quinlank. Anybody brought a weak lemon drink with them? :D

Maggy
04-07-2004, 21:26
Ah, I wondered when we'd get round to the infamous Simon Quinlank. Anybody brought a weak lemon drink with them? :D

Let's not get too :notopic: please. :tu:

Chris
04-07-2004, 22:50
Let's not get too :notopic: please. :tu:

Sorry miss ... :sulk: ;)

danielf
04-07-2004, 23:03
I don't have any real hobbies, I'm afraid, though I like to play table tennis and squash, and I love to cook (asian/mediteranean). I haven't found any time/desire to try out exciting new dishes lately though. Oh, and I love to travel. I've seen a fair bit of Asia over the years. :)

Buxom_woman
05-07-2004, 00:26
My hobbies are card making, cross stitching, writing poems. I used to and still can play the keyboard, piano, organ, guitar, clarient, recorder and drum kit.
So me not very interesting really!!!

kronas
05-07-2004, 00:29
My hobbies are card making, cross stitching, writing poems. I used to and still can play the keyboard, piano, organ, guitar, clarient, recorder and drum kit.
So me not very interesting really!!!

im interested, playing the guitar is it hard ? i was always thinking about trying, but i never have really done anything concrete, im not a fast learner, writing eh ? i did a bit of that poems that is, its been a while though...

zoombini
05-07-2004, 09:07
I have taken up fishing after not going for many many years & although my fishing tackle is 20+ years old it still does the job (catches nothing, never did :) ).
The relaxation etc is a great help & encourages me to not stop up all night on the Xbox playing. I now get to go (with er indoors permission)every Sunday evening as it then gets me out of her way for us both to have some peace, only I dont have to bath the kids & send them to bed... :)

I'm now thinking of taking up collecting large sizes teddy costumes in the hope that I can trick Debs on day... :D :D

Halcyon
05-07-2004, 11:41
I used to and still can play the keyboard, piano, organ, guitar, clarient, recorder and drum kit.

I'd love to play the drums and own a drum kit.
I love playing "air drums" wheneverI stick on a CD.
I think I could pick it up Ok as when I'm DJ'ing your used to counting beats and stuff so I'd love to have a go.
Maybe when I get a job after Uni, I'l have to save up and buy a kit.

Bifta
05-07-2004, 12:17
I'd love to play the drums and own a drum kit.
I love playing "air drums" wheneverI stick on a CD.
I think I could pick it up Ok as when I'm DJ'ing your used to counting beats and stuff so I'd love to have a go.
Maybe when I get a job after Uni, I'l have to save up and buy a kit.

Beatmatching is an absolute piece of p*ss compared to syncopating, pretty much anyone can match up two bits of vinyl but it takes skill to be able to move each limb independently of another :D

Graham
05-07-2004, 20:15
it takes skill to be able to move each limb independently of another :D

Learn to juggle! :D

Halcyon
05-07-2004, 20:36
Beatmatching is an absolute piece of p*ss compared to syncopating, pretty much anyone can match up two bits of vinyl but it takes skill to be able to move each limb independently of another :D

Ah well I still want to give it ago.

Tricky
05-07-2004, 20:46
Do you have any less physical hobbies or interests? :)

Now you're asking! - Only a bit of Digitial Photography and Camcorder then making DVD's - O and Babysitting!

Refrains from saying spending 14 hours a day on a PC (some work of course!)

Bifta
05-07-2004, 20:55
Ah well I still want to give it ago.

Good thing to try too, I did once, I was inexplicably crap at it mind, especially as the set I tried had something like 4 toms, 3 snares, double bass drum and enough cymbals to sink a car ferry. Drum machines are so much easier :D

Maggy
07-07-2004, 20:19
That it for everyone? No one else have any hobbies or interests? :)