PDA

View Full Version : dam slow 1Mb

super saiyan
01-07-2004, 15:02
There seems to be a problem with my 1mb im in the lewisham area (ex videotron) setup via stb (ditv4000) and using ethernet. Basically broadbrand works at full speed to moderate speed during the times of 5am to 2pm, then anytime after that I get pings that are off the charts, packet losses of almost 100% and dam slow downloading ranging from 10k to 25k. Ive put up with this for more than three to four weeks and have phoned technical support twice. I was given two different answers in both occasions, the first time technical support said that there are works going on in your area and the techies have put alot of stb users on the same upstream he said it should be sorted in 2 days or so. Having not returned to normal (full speed) i phoned technical support again, this time they said that there is a cable broken somewhere and this cable will need replacing, so I said how long will this take, he told me there is no guarantees. So I accepted this answer for now :), and two weeks later its still the same 'dam slow'. I have a feel they are talking sh*te as I have tried my mates cable modem at my house and this is working at full speed all the time with no slowdowns, and pings are excellent, also a mate who lives reasonable close to me also has a cable modem that he hasn't had any problem with in terms of speed / latency.

Before anyone asks my stb signal levels are fine as well as return path being fine,
its not spyware has I have tried it on my laptop and three different pcs. I dont have a hardware firewall so thatâ₠¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢s not the problem. By the way it can't be beacuse im in a ex videotron area, because I've had this setup for more than a year with out problems.

thanks for your time

badnbusy
01-07-2004, 15:15
I have tried my mates cable modem at my house and this is working at full speed

I thought a specific modem would NOT work at another address? I thought it was specific to the address you signed up with? Can't imaine how you got the modem working at your house!

But anyway, just phone up ntl and ask them to change your broadband over from a STB to a modem. You have the opportunity to do that and they shouldn't argue about it :)

super saiyan
01-07-2004, 17:04
I thought a specific modem would NOT work at another address? I thought it was specific to the address you signed up with? Can't imaine how you got the modem working at your house!

I just plugged it in to my usb port and cable feed and it worked not too sure why it worked, as far as I know the mac address of a modem should determine what cable configuration file you get so it should be a simple case of plug and play as long as your mates in the same area i think.

But anyway, just phone up ntl and ask them to change your broadband over from a STB to a modem. You have the opportunity to do that and they shouldn't argue about it :)

I donââ‚Âà ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢t see why I should go to the trouble or arranging the installation and making sure that someoneââ‚à ‚¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢s in when the installer shows up.

PS. How do I find out how many ppl are on my stb upstream? I dont think DocsDiag will work with stbs

SOSAGES
01-07-2004, 17:16
i have used 3 different modems at my house not had a problem appart from the some /relase /renew issues