PDA

View Full Version : Gradually falling upstream power level

cliveb
01-07-2004, 09:35
Over the last week, my 600k service has been intermittent. I'm using a SACM (Ambit 120), and its RDY and SYNC lights always remain solid: no blinking to indicate any problems. A CM reboot seems to bring thing back to life.

However, I've been monitoring the CM diagnostics, and here's what typically happens. After a reboot, the upstream transmit power will start out around 52-55dBmV and, although this seems a little high, everything runs fine. Then, over the course of anywhere between half an hour and several hours, it gradually drops down to somewhere between 37 and 42dBmV. At this point, the T3 timer expiry counter starts going up and net access gets unreliable. There have been a couple of occasions when my router has then failed to renew its DHCP lease.

From my (very limited) understanding of how the CM works, I think that the upstream power level is determined at boot-up so that the signal level sent is sufficiently high to overcome any noise on the cable. Therefore one would expect that if it needs to be 50+ to start with, then when it reduces one can expect the signal to be lost in noise. So that seems to fit the symptoms. What I don't know is if the CM continually monitors the required upstream transmit power and will adjust itself downwards if appropriate.

On Robin Walker's excellent site, it states "rapidly fluctuating power levels might be a sign of a failing amplifier in the ISP's network, or a bad cable connection, and should normally be investigated". My power levels aren't fluctuating rapidly, they're gradually decreasing. Is this normal?

Ignition
01-07-2004, 10:53
The cable modem doesn't monitor upstream power, the uBR you connect to tells the cable modem to adjust its' transmit power constantly depending on requirements. The uBR has a target received power level that it wants the modems to get as close as possible to and when they deviate too far from this as part of standard DOCSIS protocol exchanges the uBR will demand that the cable modem adjust its' power.

But no that sort of change isn't normal, and you need to get an engineer to visit really - the T3 timeouts are probably due to overly large power adjustments, while a large power adjustment is taking place the cable modem cannot transmit, this is to avoid a rogue cable modem broadcasting at too high a power and drowning out signals from other modems on your upstream segment.

Suggest you call customer services, sounds more like an issue with your modem to be honest but can't be sure on that one. Either way engineer can check return path from your modem back to ntl and if need be swap the modem out.

Also if you have an attenuator fitted on your modem might be worth seeing how it goes with that removed. If the attenuator is supplying inconsistent attenuation or is attenuating the return as well as forward path a lot that could certainly cause issues..

cliveb
01-07-2004, 11:15
Thanks for the info about power adjustments. I will try and get an engineer out. It seems to be an intermittent problem; sometimes it'll stay up for a couple of days, other times it'll go down after half an hour.
Also if you have an attenuator fitted on your modem might be worth seeing how it goes with that removed. If the attenuator is supplying inconsistent attenuation or is attenuating the return as well as forward path a lot that could certainly cause issues..
As far as I'm aware there's no attenuator. There certainly isn't any kind of device between the modem and the wall box: they're connected directly by just a coax cable. Where would an attenuator be installed?

quadplay
01-07-2004, 11:17
Sounds like a modem or cabling issue to me - Technical Support is on 0845 650 0925 for you, Clive - give them a ring! Alternatively, send me a PM with the MAC ID of the SACM (it's on the bottom, just under a barcode), and I'll have a look at it when I'm in work later today.

EDIT: An attenuator would be a little silver widget fitted on the back of the modem, protruding by about two inches where the co-axial cable screws in.

Ignition
01-07-2004, 12:10
Sounds like a modem or cabling issue to me - Technical Support is on 0845 650 0925 for you, Clive - give them a ring! Alternatively, send me a PM with the MAC ID of the SACM (it's on the bottom, just under a barcode), and I'll have a look at it when I'm in work later today.

EDIT: An attenuator would be a little silver widget fitted on the back of the modem, protruding by about two inches where the co-axial cable screws in.

:tu:

cliveb
01-07-2004, 13:44
Sounds like a modem or cabling issue to me - Technical Support is on 0845 650 0925 for you, Clive - give them a ring!
Thanks for the number, but I have an 0800 number for tech support, so I think I'll call that - NTL can pay the bill for me being on hold for ages! (Or would the 0845 number bypass the huge queue and get me straight through?)

Alternatively, send me a PM with the MAC ID of the SACM (it's on the bottom, just under a barcode), and I'll have a look at it when I'm in work later today.
That's very kind of you to offer - I'll get the number when I get back home tonight and PM it to you (I'm at work at the moment).

EDIT: An attenuator would be a little silver widget fitted on the back of the modem, protruding by about two inches where the co-axial cable screws in.Thanks. In that case there's no attenuator on my modem.

Cheers,
Clive

quadplay
01-07-2004, 16:37
You can use the 0800 052 2000 number to get through to Tech Support, but it only works between 8am and 8pm. Press 2 for Faults, then 1 for Broadband.

Feenix
01-07-2004, 19:28
sounds like an amp issue to me

Ignition
01-07-2004, 21:04
Wouldn't be a first!