PDA

View Full Version : Currys refurbished products

Halcyon
30-06-2004, 22:24
Anyone know what they mean by this ?
Im considering buying some electrical goods from Curry's next week on their website and it says "refurbished" on some products.

Are these second hand ones that have been done up again , or faulty ones that have been made new ?

Thanks for any info,

Tim.

swoop101
30-06-2004, 22:32
They could be broken ones that have been fixed, unsold stock that has been removed from the catalogue, returned as unsuitable, undelivered or payment defaulted items.
They will all carry a warranty and many 'may' be new and unused.
Most of the computer sellers/re-sellers operate in this way. Dell is a good example.
You have nothing to lose if you are after something, so ask for more information.

HTH

swoop

homealone
30-06-2004, 22:35
returns made new, I would guess, so long as you get the same warranty ( and I don't mean the 'extended' one they may try & sell you), as a 'new' one, I wouldn't worry.

- having said that, the thing to watch out for is where it isn't what it says on the tin, if the standard spec for the model says it comes with certain features, then your 'refurbished' parts should meet or exceed the original specification.

Halcyon
30-06-2004, 22:45
Thanks for the info. I thought it might be something like that.
I'l go thruogh them all tommorow and make sure everything is clear when I call them up.

greencreeper
01-07-2004, 07:11
It means "AVOID". A world of woe awaits you. There might be a warranty but it'll probably be only 6 months. You've no guarantee about the quality of the refurb or the parts used. Could be (and probably) is el cheapo parts installed by a monkey.

luftys
01-07-2004, 12:47
Could be (and probably) is el cheapo parts installed by a monkey.
:Yikes: and wat wrong with monkeys :disturbd: most firms have them:disturbd:

swoop101
01-07-2004, 13:12
If any items are purchased from a retail outlet you are protected by the sale of goods act.
This means that all items must be of merchantable quality and fit for the use that they were sold.
So it is safe to purchase items like these, provided that you are clear about the terms that they are sold under.

Chris W
01-07-2004, 13:15
:Yikes: and wat wrong with monkeys :disturbd: most firms have them:disturbd:

nothing at all wrong with monkeys :D :D :D

BootBoy
01-07-2004, 13:19
I worked for a rival company for many years in the area of refurbishing white goods.
The item could be a customer return or shop/delivery damage. Depending on what was wrong with it, you could have a bargain. If it's cosmetic damage ie a scratch or dent then saving 30 or 40 quid, you might be able to live with it. Even mechanical failure can be ok if it's been repaired properly.
A lot of the time fridges just needed a re-gas to be made saleable.
Try and find out what work has been done, look at the amount you will save, and make a decision from there.

Halcyon
01-07-2004, 13:37
lol

Ok sounds good.
Well one of the roducts is a mobile phone and a new one is just £15 more so I think I'l go with a new one.
Thanks.

zoombini
01-07-2004, 13:43
You can save a fortune getting a fridge/washing machine with a big dent/scratch in the sides etc. And as it wont be seen normally who cares, just seal it.

Many a time a returned time can be perfectly OK but the customer just does not want it, however it would have to go back to the supplier to be checked out/retested. Slight problems like broken "thingies" that are easy to replace or missing parts that can easily be added also account for some.

If there are any that have definite "faults" then they should not be seloing them as refurbished & instead as a managers special where you just know that there is something wrong/missing etc.

Either way, give it a damn good check & get a guarantee that if it does not work correctly they will resolve it to your satisfaction.
The monkey that sells it to you will most likely no nothing of the items history, why its reduced etc & they usually make some rubbish up.

LSainsbury
01-07-2004, 21:38
I wouldn't touch Currys new products, let alone a refurbed.