PDA

View Full Version : NTL Canellation Problem?

zacpack
30-06-2004, 13:45
Just really looking for advise and an explanation as I wasn't able to get this from the customer services or retention department.

I'm am/was an NTL customer and called them around the 28th May and gave them my 30 days notice to cancel the contracts as I was moving house.

It was confirmed verbally that the contract would end on the 27th June and my phone line will be cut along with my Broadband Internet. I was moving in with someone else who already had an NTL account both phone and internet and did not need to transfer any services.

Great all done and dusted. I did asked (and repeatively phoned) to get confirmation in writing that the phone and internet will be terminated on the 27th June, but nothing came and the last time I phoned I was told that they could not do that!!

However today is the 30th June and the phone line should have been cut. But I am still able to make calls on it and the phone line is active. However the internet has been successfully disconnected!

I rang the customer services number (on the phone that was suppose to be disconnected) and was put through to the retention department. They said that the line is due to be disconnected on the 21st July - nearly 30 days later than I wanted to.

I was concerned as someone is moving into the property on the 2nd July and that they would start to make phone calls on this phone. The operator who I spoke to only said that they could put a block on the line, but not bring forward the disconnection.

I'm really looking for an explanation as to why it will take so long to disconnect the phone line! And will I be charged for the excess time - if so I do not think I should pay this as I gave plenty of notice!

Is there anyone that can help or speed up the disconnection!?!?

Chris W
30-06-2004, 13:58
what area are you living in?

orangebird
30-06-2004, 15:10
Just really looking for advise and an explanation as I wasn't able to get this from the customer services or retention department.

I'm am/was an NTL customer and called them around the 28th May and gave them my 30 days notice to cancel the contracts as I was moving house.

It was confirmed verbally that the contract would end on the 27th June and my phone line will be cut along with my Broadband Internet. I was moving in with someone else who already had an NTL account both phone and internet and did not need to transfer any services.

Great all done and dusted. I did asked (and repeatively phoned) to get confirmation in writing that the phone and internet will be terminated on the 27th June, but nothing came and the last time I phoned I was told that they could not do that!!

However today is the 30th June and the phone line should have been cut. But I am still able to make calls on it and the phone line is active. However the internet has been successfully disconnected!

I rang the customer services number (on the phone that was suppose to be disconnected) and was put through to the retention department. They said that the line is due to be disconnected on the 21st July - nearly 30 days later than I wanted to.

I was concerned as someone is moving into the property on the 2nd July and that they would start to make phone calls on this phone. The operator who I spoke to only said that they could put a block on the line, but not bring forward the disconnection.

I'm really looking for an explanation as to why it will take so long to disconnect the phone line! And will I be charged for the excess time - if so I do not think I should pay this as I gave plenty of notice!

Is there anyone that can help or speed up the disconnection!?!?

I assume you're over the 12 month contract too?

Jason1
30-06-2004, 17:35
Happens all the time how hard can it be for ntl to canx a cust line ntl keep it connected in the hope you still use it so they can rinse that last bit of revenue from u. I went into the green cab outside that had been left vanilsed for the last 2 years & disconnected my own services

quadplay
30-06-2004, 18:14
I went into the green cab outside that had been left vanilsed for the last 2 years & disconnected my own services

:eek: That's not a good idea. Quite apart from the fact that it's against the Terms & Conditions, it's also (I think) illegal, and you could cause disruption for others in your area if you knock anything out of place. :nono:

Of course, this doesn't excuse the fact that a vandalised cabinet should be sorted in less than 2 years!!! :rolleyes:

Chris W
30-06-2004, 18:40
I went into the green cab outside that had been left vanilsed for the last 2 years & disconnected my own services

how did you identify which cables were going to your house? or did you just pull the whole lot out...?

zacpack
30-06-2004, 22:55
I live in Northampton.

scrotnig
30-06-2004, 23:00
This should be easy to sort out, it's probably a mistake.

There should be notes in your account confirming that the cancellation was requested.

If you're moving, in most regions the phone can be 'blocked' anyway so it appears to be disconnected....

Call your local Customer Relations (retentions) team and insist someone sorts it out.

zacpack
01-07-2004, 08:49
I've just emailed NTL in hope that someone will look at it as I don't have the time to sit on hold for 30 mins like I did last time.

Hope this gets sorted!

zoombini
01-07-2004, 08:57
It would have been best if you confirmed it in writing yourself first.
Just make sure that you do not use the phone & refuse any attemp from NTL to bill you for it after the set date.
keep any paperwork, get prrof of ID & a receipt when the box is collected.

Jason1
01-07-2004, 09:36
how did you identify which cables were going to your house? or did you just pull the whole lot out...?
There was only 2 broadband/dtv customers connected to the upper switch and all the cables going to my house had a little yellow tag with my address on it as for the phone their was again a yellow tag on both lines with my phone number on & a little sign in the box informing their engineer my line was active cas they kept disconnecting it to give to new customers rather than pulling through a new phone line

zacpack
01-07-2004, 12:05
I confirmed it also in writing - sent to the local Coventry NTL house. I also have a signature to prove delivery aswell......along with times, dates and names of who I spoke to on any phone calls.

Letter was delivered and signed on the 29th May. Given the average business has quite a lot of post I would have accepted that it would have taken time for my letter to get to anyone to deal, so if that was the case then I would allow 5 days for it to get anywhere. So I would have accepted the 5th July as a cut off date - not 21st!!!

Hope fully they will respond to me and will get it sorted.

arcamalpha2004
01-07-2004, 17:51
I just cannot fathom why it should take so long to disconnect the line?

When I cancelled my BT telephone services, it was done a lot quicker than you seem to be experiencing.
Maybe the problem is you have paid your bills to them on time, they seem to have no problem disconnecting if you miss one bill through an over sight, or a tits up with the DD.

zacpack
01-07-2004, 22:08
Well I think I've found out why - although I'm not happy with it and will be on the phone to C/S tomorrow!!

I just received my monthly bill issued on the 21st June. This bill still charges the normal line rental rate and has the period 21st June - 20th July for it. Hence why the line will be cut on the 21st!!!

I'm not paying the normal line rental rate if I informed them in plenty of time to disconnect the line! I'll pay a reduced rate (from the 20th - 28th June!) but not that....

Anyway I'll see how I get on with C/S tomorrow and report back!

zacpack
02-07-2004, 10:50
I spent the last few hours trying to get through to anyone at NTL - unfortunatly I don't have a lot of time to remain on the phone.

So I haven't been able to get any result, just yet.

Is there anyone who would be willing to look into this at all?

zacpack
02-07-2004, 13:28
I've managed - eventually - to get through to customer services. The situation was that the bill was sent out before my disconnection notice and the women I spoke to said that on the 21st July I would get sent a refund of the overcredited amount, since I gave my notice.

Hopefully that has sorted it. I'll wait a few weeks for the final bill and then that should be it!