PDA

View Full Version : BT Lowers BB Prices.

Borophil
30-06-2004, 10:54
Just seen this this morning. Wonder what NTL response will be??

http://www.digital-lifestyles.info/display_page.asp?section=distribution&id=1353

seaneeboy
30-06-2004, 11:06
NTL's response will probably be "You already get execeptional value for money from our broadband servizzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

gazzae
30-06-2004, 11:07
BT have also capped theirs - 15gb a month for 512 and 30gb a month for 1mb

Neil
30-06-2004, 11:24
Can only be good news for the consumer. :tu:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/3852433.stm

http://www.digital-lifestyles.info/display_page.asp?section=distribution&id=1353

Caps to be introduced tho.....:rolleyes:

Both of BT's 512k services now have a 15GB a month cap, with its 1Mb service lumbered with a 30GB limit.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/06/30/bt_broadband_price/

Not so good news for consumers. :td:

etccarmageddon
30-06-2004, 11:29
the BT 1mb service is now £29 a month - compared to NTL's which is £38.

I expect in a matter of days NTL will respond to their competitor with a price reduction.

Neil
30-06-2004, 11:32
the BT 1mb service is now £29 a month - compared to NTL's which is £38.

Both with a 30 gig per month (approx) cap too.

Now let me see-£38.00 per month, or £29.00 per month....... :disturbd:

etccarmageddon
30-06-2004, 11:41
I never thought I'd see BT having the upper hand on NTL like this. My guess is this will fuel a price and possibly bandwidth war.

We could see NTL upping the 1mb service to 1.75mb and lowering the price to either match the BT price or be slightly higher.

Nikko
30-06-2004, 11:49
The plot thickens! Who gives the most 'bang per buck' tho?

BT 1Mb £29.99 / 1024 = 0.029

NTL 1.5Mb £37.99 / 1536 = 0.024

ian@huth
30-06-2004, 11:57
Both with a 30 gig per month (approx) cap too.

Now let me see-£38.00 per month, or £29.00 per month....... :disturbd:

BTs cap is a total of upload and download whereas NTLs "cap?" is traffic downloaded. Given the fact that you can download more than the suggested usage guideline on NTL on several days per month you can in fact download more than double the 30 gig.

NTL had better wake up to the fact that their pricing is getting more and more uncompetitive, particularly the 1 Mb service. They should also look carefully at the 600k pricing as the 128k upload may prompt users to go for the faster upload on ADSL. What NTL should take into account is that the loss of a BB customer to ADSL may more than likely lead to a loss of the customer for telephone and TV as they would not need two phonelines and NTL don't sell DTV without a phoneline.

bob_builder
30-06-2004, 11:59

To be precise "M" when used with bits is 1000 whereas it is 1024 when used with bytes, so:

BT 1Mb £29.99 / 1000 = 0.02999

NTL 1.5Mb £37.99 / 1500 = 0.02533

Nikko
30-06-2004, 12:06
To be precise "M" when used with bits is 1000 whereas it is 1024 when used with bytes, so:

Thanks for the correction ;) - this always confuses me :dunce:

The relativity still holds tho ;)

Caspar
30-06-2004, 12:13
I don't pay my NTL BB bill so I don't give a stuff how much it costs!!! :D

etccarmageddon
30-06-2004, 12:43

NTL dont have a 1.5mb service yet - do you really think you should be comparing BT with something which doesnt currently exist... ie. 'coming soon'?

and BT is 28.99 not 29.99 a month.

BT 1Mb £28.99 / 1000 = 0.02899

NTL 1Mb £37.99 / 1000 = 0.03799

you pay roughly 30% for NTL 1mb compared to BT.

Ramrod
30-06-2004, 12:50
We could see NTL upping the 1mb service to 1.75mb and lowering the price to either match the BT price or be slightly higher.I'll have some of that :tu:
..be nice if they increased the upload speed a bit as well, that would really give them a competitive edge........

etccarmageddon
30-06-2004, 12:51
here's the official announcement with prices:-

http://www.btplc.com/News/Pressreleasesandarticles/Corporatenewsreleases/2004/nr0455.htm

themelon
30-06-2004, 14:09
My experience of BT Broadband (Connect)

You would be lucky to get even close to those Upload and Download speeds, there are and still are far better providers.

The 1GB and 15GB Caps make those services pretty pointless.

The 30GB Cap is OK, but I expect that BT will be a lot more stringent on enforcing the cap I remember BT sending a letter when I was online for 24hours+ on dial up, unlike ntl who will only contact you if you break the 1GB Cap 3 days in a row.

Chris
01-07-2004, 13:20
man oh man, and I'm about to move house to somewhere that has no cable and will be beyond the reach of ADSL for the forseeable future :(

I'd be seriously considering BT if I had that option. But if their retail prices are dropping, will there not be a reduction in wholesale prices as well? Presumably the Nildrams and the Pipexes of this world now have an opportunity to reduce their own prices as well, meaning even cheaper broadband.

cichlid
01-07-2004, 13:55
It's a shame that no one (officially) from NTL would post a comment on this to the forum. I hate being treated like a mushroom.

Chris W
01-07-2004, 14:00
It's a shame that no one (officially) from NTL would post a comment on this to the forum. I hate being treated like a mushroom.

If you want an official comment, call ntl's National Press Queries on 01256 752 860 and ask for one ;)

orangebird
01-07-2004, 14:02

Why do you think you're being treated like a mushroom?

Soon enough, ntl will be providing 1.5meg, so the comparison of speed for money won't apply. Also, ntls usage guide ISN'T 30GB a month. It just asks you not to exceed 1GB a day for 3 consecutive in a fornight. So, you could do 5, 10 or 20GB in a day for 3 days, then 1GB a day for the rest of the fortnight, and still be within the AUP. I know what I'd rather :shrug:

Chris
01-07-2004, 14:03
If you want an official comment, call ntl's National Press Queries on 01256 752 860 and ask for one ;)
Where presumably a helpful press officer will say, "we don't comment on the products of third parties or enter into speculation about the future of our own services. And I think you'd look delicious chopped up in a spaghetti bolognese."

;) :D

Nutty
01-07-2004, 14:07

Utter bollox.

1Mbit is 1,048,576 bits. i.e. 1024 * 1024.
http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=how+many+bits+in+a+megabit

You say its 1000. I dont know where 1000 comes into it, you're at least 3 zero's short.

Even if it was 1,000,000 bits in a megabit, that would only yield a maximum of 122Kbytes per second, and I get more than that on the 1Mbit service.

The only ppl I know of that classify Mega as 1million exactly is hard-drive manufacturers. I'm pretty sure ntl dont classify it like this.

BlueMeany
01-07-2004, 14:46
Why do you think you're being treated like a mushroom?

Soon enough, ntl will be providing 1.5meg, so the comparison of speed for money won't apply. Also, ntls usage guide ISN'T 30GB a month. It just asks you not to exceed 1GB a day for 3 consecutive in a fornight. So, you could do 5, 10 or 20GB in a day for 3 days, then 1GB a day for the rest of the fortnight, and still be within the AUP. I know what I'd rather :shrug:

Is there anywhere that I can download a "download counter"?

I know I can use the two flickering monitors in my system tray to get a rough guide... but this counter obviously resets itself each time the PC is turned on/off (which for me isn't strictly "daily" or 24hrs)

Having something that would chart my downloads properly... so I can check, would be nice.

Chris W
01-07-2004, 14:49
You could try DUmeter (http://www.dumeter.com/) it is only a 30 day trial, but it should give you an indication.

If you have a home network you will be better off using MRTG

Shaun
01-07-2004, 14:54
Where presumably a helpful press officer will say, "we don't comment on the products of third parties or enter into speculation about the future of our own services. And I think you'd look delicious chopped up in a spaghetti bolognese."

;) :D

:rofl: :rofl:

scrotnig
01-07-2004, 15:20
I notice a DISTINCT absence of those well known people who have done nothing but bang on and on and on like a Duracell battery about how bad ntl's cap is.

Come on then guys...not only is BT putting a cap in place that is the same or even harsher than ntl's, but they have also stated that from January 2005 it will not just be a guideline but will be *strictly* enforced.

So, why no complaints about this from the usual suspects? Or could it be that all they want to do, as has long been suspected, is to bash ntl at every opportunity in order to satisfy their own personal agenda.

Neil
01-07-2004, 15:28
I notice a DISTINCT absence of those well known people who have done nothing but bang on and on and on like a Duracell battery about how bad ntl's cap is.

Come on then guys...not only is BT putting a cap in place that is the same or even harsher than ntl's, but they have also stated that from January 2005 it will not just be a guideline but will be *strictly* enforced.

So, why no complaints about this from the usual suspects? Or could it be that all they want to do, as has long been suspected, is to bash ntl at every opportunity in order to satisfy their own personal agenda.

Hi Mark :wavey:

I am guessing that I am one of the people you are referring to (not a problem)

The difference between BT's cap & ntl's is that BT haven't tried to hide the fact. It is clearly advertised & mentioned.

ntl on the other hand, chose to slip theirs into their AUP late on a Friday night hoping that no one would notice :nono: (I should know-it was us that broke the story) :erm:

It comes down to honesty & professionalism, & ntl lacked both when it came to amending their AUP regarding the cap IMO.

As ever-that is not a reflection on any associates that post here, just the people at the top who make the buffoon decisions & make your jobs harder. :)

orangebird
01-07-2004, 15:29

:clap:

orangebird
01-07-2004, 15:30

The difference between BT's cap & ntl's is that BT haven't tried to hide the fact. It is clearly advertised & mentioned.

ntl on the other hand, chose to slip theirs into their AUP late on a Friday night hoping that no one would notice :nono: (I should know-it was us that broke the story) :erm:

It comes down to honesty & professionalism, & ntl lacked both when it came to amending their AUP regarding the cap IMO.

As ever-that is not a reflection on any associates that post here, just the people at the top who make the buffoon decisions & make your jobs harder. :)

Oh. come on Neil! And the rest of you who still haven't gotten over it - IT WAS ABOUT 18 MONTHS AGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!

Neil
01-07-2004, 15:33
Oh. come on Neil! And the rest of you who still haven't gotten over it - IT WAS ABOUT 18 MONTHS AGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!

That doesn't make it right though I'm afraid :nono:

They were (IMO) deliberately deceiptful in what they did, & the way they did it.

Not what they did. but they way they did it.

orangebird
01-07-2004, 15:36
That doesn't make it right though I'm afraid :nono:

They were (IMO) deliberately deceiptful in what they did, & the way they did it.

Not what they did. but they way they did it.

So are you going to be harping on about it 10 years time, all bitter and twisted? And I'd also have a small wager that the only reasn other companies are so 'HONEST' about caps now, is because of the furor over the ntl 'GUIDELINE'. :rolleyes:

Neil
01-07-2004, 15:38
So are you going to be harping on about it 10 years time, all bitter and twisted?

I wasn't 'harping on about it' today. :nono:

Mark B made a point about BT now having a cap, to which I replied, pointing out a big difference. :)

Neil
01-07-2004, 15:39
So are you going to be harping on about it 10 years time, all bitter and twisted? And I'd also have a small wager that the only reasn other companies are so 'HONEST' about caps now, is because of the furor over the ntl 'GUIDELINE'. :rolleyes:

Why would that be then?-because they saw how poorly ntl handled it by any chance?

I rest my case. :angel:

orangebird
01-07-2004, 15:45
Why would that be then?-because they saw how poorly ntl handled it by any chance?

I rest my case. :angel:

You don't have a case Neil, just a very old axe you really should've stopped grinding about 17 months ago.... :angel:

cichlid
01-07-2004, 15:48
Mushroom - kept in the dark and fed on s**t
Press Queries? See above.

orangebird
01-07-2004, 15:49
Mushroom - kept in the dark and fed on s**t
Press Queries? See above.

So what don't you know, and what **** have you been fed? :confused:

cichlid
01-07-2004, 15:53
I could list them but that wouldn't be fair. The NTL people won't (officially) read this or reply to defend themselves. Suffice to say every time I call NTL I always have a hard time.

orangebird
01-07-2004, 15:59
I could list them but that wouldn't be fair. The NTL people won't (officially) read this or reply to defend themselves. Suffice to say every time I call NTL I always have a hard time.

List just one, go on.....Whatvexactly is it they need to defend themselves against? Maybe I could help?

cichlid
01-07-2004, 16:03
i doubt it.

orangebird
01-07-2004, 16:05
i doubt it.

Sod ya then. What's the point in p1ssing and moaning, if you're not going to explain your problem, or accept any help when it's offered? :rolleyes: :mad:

Chris
01-07-2004, 16:13
i doubt it.
There are helpful NTL staffers on this board. You've been talking to one of them all afternoon (or should I say 'getting stroppy with'? :rolleyes: ) Most of us found this board because we had had a hard time from ntl but if you stick around long enough, and open your eyes, you might just find that people are trying to help you. Of course, if you'd rather just tut and keep moaning, go right ahead, and they'll give you a wide berth.

Chris W
01-07-2004, 16:14
i doubt it.

just give up OB... sounds to me like you are urintating into the wind, some people just want to complain, and will never be satisfied with any response that they get.

MB

cichlid
01-07-2004, 16:15
Sod me!? Don't lose the head there mate. It's not like I was personally attacking you.

cichlid
01-07-2004, 16:18
Well if anyone thinks my posts read stroppy thats fine - they're not intended to be. The problem with text is it's very difficult to convey tone of voice. You've all misread my tone. Thanks.

etccarmageddon
01-07-2004, 16:18

"why no complaints"
- probably cos no one on this forum has BT's broadband products?

dilli-theclaw
01-07-2004, 16:21
Well if anyone thinks my posts read stroppy thats fine - they're not intended to be. The problem with text is it's very difficult to convey tone of voice. You've all misread my tone. Thanks.
Then USE THE SMEGGING SMILEYS - they will help you to put 'emotion' into your posts :)

SOSAGES
01-07-2004, 16:22
bound to happen eventually such is life need to stop using old wires invest in some smart technology connect to the internet mk2 and never complain again... - give it a few years :)

cichlid
01-07-2004, 16:29
"USE SMEGGING SMILEYS"
I believe that's the emotion of shouting. Thanks again. I won't be coming back here considering some of the comments have come from NTL employees.

dilli-theclaw
01-07-2004, 16:33
"USE SMEGGING SMILEYS"
I believe that's the emotion of shouting. Thanks again. I won't be coming back here considering some of the comments have come from NTL employees.
So it is - and a :) means it was ment to be a humerous nudge in the right direction.

Ah well - they do say you can take an animal to water but can't get them to drink :)

Oh - and I'm not an NTL employee - but I've had my fare share of problems with NTL - so bad in fact I told them to stuff it in the end.

But - I've learnt the people here are most helpful IF YOU GIVE THEM THE CHANCE....

What you seem unable to grasp is that there is a difference between the company and the people within it.

Stay or go - it's up to you.

Just try to chill - and not get so wound up. :Peaceman:

BlueMeany
01-07-2004, 17:20
You could try DUmeter (http://www.dumeter.com/) it is only a 30 day trial, but it should give you an indication.

If you have a home network you will be better off using MRTG

Thanks, I think thats just what I'm looking for.

ntl on the other hand, chose to slip theirs into their AUP late on a Friday night hoping that no one would notice (I should know-it was us that broke the story)

I'm not fussed about the cap... especially if it is as has been reported not strictly 1gb a day (ie something about not on 3 consecutive days or such like)

I've never been told anything about the cap *officially*

Feenix
01-07-2004, 19:40
by the way - don't you need a BT home telephone line for their broadband?
and what is the line rental on that?

And regarding the cap - it's in the terms and conditions/AUP - I seem to remeber clicking the "I Agree to the T&C" button when I signed up..

Paul
01-07-2004, 20:21
"USE SMEGGING SMILEYS"

Bye then. :wavey:

To go back to something mentioned earlier.

NTL's 256k and 600k services are apparently set at 256000 bits and 600000 bits download - however, for some reason the 1m service is set at 1024000 and not 1000000 (the uploads are 128000 or 256000). Confusing to say the least.

I'm expecting the 1.5m to be set to 1536000. The others will probably be 300000 & 750000, but we can always hope for 320000 & 768000 :)

scrotnig
01-07-2004, 20:53

As ever-that is not a reflection on any associates that post here, just the people at the top who make the buffoon decisions & make your jobs harder. :)I think to be fair to Neil, his problem seems to be not so much with the cap itself but the way it was handled at the time. And I'm not going to argue with him on that point.

My question is aimed at those people who bang on and on about how bad actually having the cap is...which is fair enough and a legitimate opinion...but who seem to be remarkably silent now that similar caps are being introduced by ntl's competitors.

I don't personally like caps, but ntl's and BT's don't seem unduly restrictive, though I do wonder about how strictly BT intend to enforce theirs next year.

Stop It
01-07-2004, 21:32
Well , BT moves just As I thought, lowering price, adding a cap to all services, Its only a matter of time before pretty much all mainstream priced ADSL becomes capped, Im not against capping, as part of a well priced package, £30.00 for ADSL with a 30GB cap sounds decent to me, £38, doesn't, If it wasnt for the fact that Im in a non BT area, I would have left NTL and got a BT based provider (although not BT retail :P).

I would much rather NTL ditch this speed upgrade and slash prices, then they would have a decent, and improving service at prices that people will take notice of.

orangebird
02-07-2004, 09:31
Well , BT moves just As I thought, lowering price, adding a cap to all services, Its only a matter of time before pretty much all mainstream priced ADSL becomes capped, Im not against capping, as part of a well priced package, £30.00 for ADSL with a 30GB cap sounds decent to me, £38, doesn't, If it wasnt for the fact that Im in a non BT area, I would have left NTL and got a BT based provider (although not BT retail :P).

I would much rather NTL ditch this speed upgrade and slash prices, then they would have a decent, and improving service at prices that people will take notice of.

:rolleyes: *sigh* NTL DON'T HAVE A 30GB CAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

themelon
02-07-2004, 11:11

In fairness ntls cap has never been strictly enforced, I have downloaded more than 1Gb in a day on many occassions and havent heard a thing. BT on the other hand have always been the strictest of strict when it comes to the Internet.........back in the days of dial up I was on an allegedly unlimited service called 'Surfworld' I was connected on and off with the normal dial up disconnects every 2 hours for 24hours as it happens at the time I was doing quite and important project.........I recieve a letter from BT the following week stating my account would be terminated if a do it again. I think its different when something is strictly enforced with possible charges you need to be told, something unlikely to affect you unless yu download a hell of a lot doesnt matter. I think new ntl customers would be told about the cap....when I signed up it was unlimited, I still use it the same and havent recieved a letter.

I hear with BT any excess in Bandwidth will be charged something like the following 1Gb for £4, 3Gb for £8 and 6Gb a month will be £12. Or you can suffer a reduced service until the end of the month.

On ntl if the cap is broken the worse that will happen is you get a letter and possibly cut off (although I dont know of any cases) and not speed limiting. Im not sure if BT intend to offer customers a method of measuring how much they have downloaded either like ntl?

I think the introduction of Bandwidth charges and Speed throttling is a terribly bad thing for Broadband in the UK before its even got off the ground.

Stop It
02-07-2004, 20:56
:rolleyes: *sigh* NTL DON'T HAVE A 30GB CAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Note how people love pointing that out, but not actually answering my comment, yes ntls cap isnt technically 30GB, its 1GB a day, but not, but still, its very overpriced in comparison with BT, and as this site says, NTL are reviewing thier 1MB prices, shame ntl are no longer price setters, but followers :(