PDA

View Full Version : Any good restaurants?

Nugget
29-06-2004, 15:21
It's my girlfriends birthday on the 10th July and, in trying to be a good boyfriend (as well as the fact that she bought me a Playstation 2 for my birthday last year), I've booked a room at 42 The Calls in Leeds, which is somewhere that she's always wanted to stay.

It's costing the best part of 200 quid, but it includes a bottle of champagne on arrival, a Harvey Nicholls goodie bag and £50 worth of vouchers for Harvey Nicks as well so, hopefully, it'll be a nice surprise and she gets some extra bits and pieces as well (as well as the presents that I'll get her anyway).

Unfortunately, being the poor lad that I am, I'm not sure if I'll be able to afford to eat in the restaurant at the hotel ('cos it's 40 quid a head), so I wondered if anyone knew of any decent restaurants in Leeds that I could book at instead - otherwise, I'll just have to skint myself at the hotel :dozey:

Maggy
29-06-2004, 15:31
It's my girlfriends birthday on the 10th July and, in trying to be a good boyfriend (as well as the fact that she bought me a Playstation 2 for my birthday last year), I've booked a room at 42 The Calls in Leeds, which is somewhere that she's always wanted to stay.

It's costing the best part of 200 quid, but it includes a bottle of champagne on arrival, a Harvey Nicholls goodie bag and £50 worth of vouchers for Harvey Nicks as well so, hopefully, it'll be a nice surprise and she gets some extra bits and pieces as well (as well as the presents that I'll get her anyway).

Unfortunately, being the poor lad that I am, I'm not sure if I'll be able to afford to eat in the restaurant at the hotel ('cos it's 40 quid a head), so I wondered if anyone knew of any decent restaurants in Leeds that I could book at instead - otherwise, I'll just have to skint myself at the hotel :dozey:

I don't kmow Leeds.Is there anywhere you can take her for a picnic?One that you have taken time to pick nice titbits for.It will save on overheads and you can afford to splurge on some nicer food.Mind it would need nice weather for that one but it would be different.

Incog. :)

SOSAGES
29-06-2004, 15:32
now ur just making all of us look bad - bag of chips and the cinema mate !

Maggy
29-06-2004, 15:38
now ur just making all of us look bad - bag of chips and the cinema mate !

:knock: :knock:

You ignore that misogynist and carry on the way you are. :tu:

Bex
29-06-2004, 15:41
I don't kmow Leeds.Is there anywhere you can take her for a picnic?One that you have taken time to pick nice titbits for.It will save on overheads and you can afford to splurge on some nicer food.Mind it would need nice weather for that one but it would be different.

Incog. :)
you could go to hyde park and take a picnic if its nice. it would be quite romantic too, as you'd obviously made an effort for her :)

depends what sort of food you want.... there's a nandos...and several resturant type things in one of the centres..... if memory serves the centre is called the light... its at the top of the highstreet..will find a link

Bex
29-06-2004, 15:49
http://www.touchleeds.com/comdir/searchresults.cfm/Restaurants

http://www.thelightleeds.co.uk/searchList.asp?category=Places%20to%20meet%20and%2 0drink

browns in the light is also a good place to go. not too sure on the prices though HTH

need any more info let me know nugg

SMHarman
29-06-2004, 17:21
Does Harvey Nicks have a Cafe / Restauant like the one in London. Might be reasonable / trendy.

Nugget
29-06-2004, 17:39
Does Harvey Nicks have a Cafe / Restauant like the one in London. Might be reasonable / trendy.

D'oh - didn't even think of that :disturbd: . May have a look and see - I know that the one in Birmingham has as well (or at least that's what my dad says anyway)

Bex
29-06-2004, 17:43
as far as i can tell, they do have some kind of bar/restuarant

cant really say i spent that much time in harvy nichs when i was in leeds ;)

Nugget
29-06-2004, 17:47
as far as i can tell, they do have some kind of bar/restuarant

cant really say i spent that much time in harvy nichs when i was in leeds ;)

I think ( :erm: ) that she's a big fan of Harvey Nicholls (I've never been to one so I don't know what they're like). I do know that she told me off for not taking her to the one in Birmingham when we visited my parents at Christmas (mind you, she had dragged me to the next sale at 5 in the morning, so I probably wasn't as receptive as I could have been :tired:

Nug hopes that she learns to drive soon

Earl of Bronze
29-06-2004, 17:58
Her learning to drive wont matter mate. Cause if you lurve her you'll get up at 05.00, and stand in the cold and rain to keep her company. ;)

Bifta
29-06-2004, 18:03
Her learning to drive wont matter mate. Cause if you lurve her you'll get up at 05.00, and stand in the cold and rain to keep her company. ;)

But if you REALLY lurrrve her, you'll take your credit card with you too ;)

gary_580
29-06-2004, 18:05
Depends what your looking for. Some nice country pubs a few miles out of Leeds Centre, Hard Rock Cafe is always useful too, the are some nice restuarants just across the river from the Brewery too.

Tricky
29-06-2004, 19:30
Est Est Est is reasonable
Thai Edge is very VERY nice a little pricey but not £40 per head
Or try the new places in The Light (on the Headrow)

Bex
29-06-2004, 21:44
I think ( :erm: ) that she's a big fan of Harvey Nicholls (I've never been to one so I don't know what they're like). I do know that she told me off for not taking her to the one in Birmingham when we visited my parents at Christmas (mind you, she had dragged me to the next sale at 5 in the morning, so I probably wasn't as receptive as I could have been :tired:

harvy nichs is lovely, but then it would be the prices they charge ;)
est est est is good

SMHarman
29-06-2004, 21:54

http://www.harveynichols.com/html/restaurants/fourth_floor_function_pack.pdf

The hire pack, but some potentially more reasonable prices.

Nugget
30-06-2004, 13:32
Thanks for that, guys and gals - a few good suggestions, so hopefully I won't have to sell a vital organ so we can eat! Reps all round!!

Salu
30-06-2004, 14:30
Nugget

I live in Leeds and one of the city's best restaurants is Haleys (which is also an hotel).

http://www.haleys.co.uk/restaurant/main_course.html

£35 per head (3 courses) though so it depends on what sort of price you want to spend. Harvey Nicholls will be around that sort of price....

SOSAGES
30-06-2004, 14:50
after all this i hope u get lucky mate ..

Dave Stones
30-06-2004, 14:53
i would agree with previous posters, head to a restaurant in the light if you are too cheap to treat her to a meal at the hotel...

or you could always go to McD's ;)

*has been for many meals in leeds*

Nugget
30-06-2004, 14:55
after all this i hope u get lucky mate ..

Of course - I'll count myself as lucky if I manage to pull this off without letting it slip what I'm doing :dozey: .

As long as she enjoys it, that'll do for me :tu:

Salu
30-06-2004, 14:56
How many double entendres?

Dave Stones
30-06-2004, 14:58
i'm assuming she doesn't know of this sites existence then? maybe she would start to sniff around in your computer etc if she was competent with them and find out where you have been and seen that you have been asking peoples advice on what to get :eek:

Nugget
30-06-2004, 14:58
i would agree with previous posters, head to a restaurant in the light if you are too cheap to treat her to a meal at the hotel...

or you could always go to McD's ;)

*has been for many meals in leeds*

I'm hoping to use the restaurant in the hotel but I'm only poor, and I think it'd be a bit naughty borrowing some pennies from her for her birthday present ;) .

Fingers crossed, everything will be fine but I think it's good to have some other places on standby just in case.

Nugget
30-06-2004, 15:01
How many double entendres?

Hmmm - re-reading that post, I think most of them actually count as single entendres :blush:

i'm assuming she doesn't know of this sites existence then? maybe she would start to sniff around in your computer etc if she was competent with them and find out where you have been and seen that you have been asking peoples advice on what to get :eek:

Nah, I haven't got a computer at home :( so she won't be able to see (helps me keep it a secret :) )

SMHarman
30-06-2004, 15:45
Of course - I'll count myself as lucky if I manage to pull this off without letting it slip what I'm doing :dozey: .

As long as she enjoys it, that'll do for me :tu:

Enjoys what :D , the meal? or desert ;) .

Nugget
30-06-2004, 15:58
Enjoys what :D , the meal? or desert ;) .

That's a point :erm: , must pack the whipped cream :p: ;)

SMHarman
30-06-2004, 16:13
Better make this a light meal, too much food and wine in a warm intimate setting can lead to food coma. You won't get lucky then. If that happens the best move is breakfast in bed.

greencreeper
30-06-2004, 17:46
There's a nice little Italian place at Huddersfield, but that's a bit far :) Most of the best places in Leeds are on the outskirts. There's the Vic at the back of the Town Hall for decent pub food. Also Nash's for quality fish n chips. I had a meal in the Light once - can't remember where. Didn't taste too good.

Few links:

http://www.itchyleeds.co.uk/eating/

http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/

homealone
12-07-2004, 11:33
I've just had an e-mail from Nugget, he said his weekend away treat for his girlfriend's birthday went extremely well & he is now, officially, the best boyfriend in the world.

He is sorting out his login from his new place of work & hopes to be back on the forum soon. In the meantime he asked me to convey his gratitude to everone who posted suggestions in this thread - so thanks everyone :tu:

Bex
12-07-2004, 11:39
I've just had an e-mail from Nugget, he said his weekend away treat for his girlfriend's birthday went extremely well & he is now, officially, the best boyfriend in the world.

He is sorting out his login from his new place of work & hopes to be back on the forum soon. In the meantime he asked me to convey his gratitude to everone who posted suggestions in this thread - so thanks everyone :tu:
glad he had a good time ;)