PDA

View Full Version : AOL Cable BB CD

Florence
29-06-2004, 09:28
Is there any member using AOL BB via NTLs cable please pm me I am trying to help another member on the forums I moderate to aquire files from the CD he has lost his and AOL are having difficulties getting him a replacement.

To the Mods I know this may be in the wrong place but AOL via NTL has no specific place and thought this the best option. Feel free to move the thread if you think it needs moving. :)

Chris W
29-06-2004, 11:16
what files is it you are after?

Florence
29-06-2004, 21:56
He has said he isn't sure whats on the CD he thinks drivers for his modem which I have already established is a relabeled ambit 200 and the settings so its perhaps the settings that is more important. I have given him a link to Triages drivers for the ambit 200.

SMHarman
29-06-2004, 22:06
Is he connecting by USB or Cat5? If CAT 5 then no drivers are likely to be necessary.

Chris W
29-06-2004, 22:10
He has said he isn't sure whats on the CD he thinks drivers for his modem which I have already established is a relabeled ambit 200 and the settings so its perhaps the settings that is more important. I have given him a link to Triages drivers for the ambit 200.

IIRC the drivers for the ntl and aol branded ambit modems are exactly the same.

Florence
30-06-2004, 01:25
I thought that so I linked him into triages website as I knew he had ambit 200 drivers there.

Its what ever else AOL had on the cd he needs what ever that was.

ZrByte
30-06-2004, 03:52
I thought that so I linked him into triages website as I knew he had ambit 200 drivers there.

Its what ever else AOL had on the cd he needs what ever that was.

I dont think the software is anything special, tell him to go into asda (Or any place that does the free discs) and pick up a copy.

Florence
30-06-2004, 09:10
I dont think the software is anything special, tell him to go into asda (Or any place that does the free discs) and pick up a copy.

If it was that easy why are AOL having problems sending him a replacement disc?

Is he the only customer on AOL BB via cable as no one has responded to help him that actually uses it.

SMHarman
30-06-2004, 12:18
Not knowing anything about the AOL over NTL, but in principle it cannot be that complicated.

The AOL software on any AOL disk should do the job. You would install it as a BYOAP - Bring your own Access Plan install, or tell it you are using broadband. Have not installed AOL since 1998 so don't know much more than that.

You would input your screenames / passwords etc into this.

NTL just require that your Cable Modem is communicating with their network (the internet light flashing) and your PC, the US/DS lights flashing. If you connect through a Ethernet card then the drivers are likely to be pre installed on the PC. If you connect through USB, then you will most likely need the drivers on an NTL / AOL disk.

So now you fire up the AOL software, it knows to use a BB not dial up connection and finds one, communicates over the NTL cable network to find the AOL authentication servers and you're connected to AOL.

Why they would make this more complex (though they probably have) beats me.

This may work as you will see,
Try this and it may I say,
Try this and it may.