PDA

View Full Version : Steer Clear of Jackpot Promotions

Gareth
29-06-2004, 00:08
Just thought I'd warn people about a scam phone recording I've received twice in the past week - sorry if this has already been posted, my quick search failed to find anything ;)

I received a message on my answerphone telling me I had won a major prize from a competition I entered last year. The fact that the person only left their extension number but no other number, and that in order to claim my prize I had to call a premium rate line meant I realised it was a scam instantly.

After Googling certain keywords from the message, I found this site (http://blog.beebware.co.uk/archives/000547.html) and realised that there were hundreds of others who have received the same message during the past few months, including many who fell for the scam - hence this thread to warn anyone else.

For reference, here's the contents of the message I received (exactly the same recording on each occaision), although there are apparently slightly different varieties also being used:

I am Nicky Fischer, the claims manager for Jackpot Promotions, and you entered one of our competitions last year. I am delighted to inform you that you have been drawn as one of the major prize winners now basically that means that i am pleased to tell you that you have won either a 42" plasma television, a personal dvd player, £2,500 personal computer, an all expenses paid cruise to the Bahamas, or £6,000 cash or possibly our star prize which is a £15,000 Volkswagen Beetle. Now in order to claim your prize you call call me, my extension number is 4344, alternatively you can call our automated claim line on 0906 1122000 thats 0906 1122000

Please Don't Phone This Number - IT'S A SCAM

ps - I've taken the liberty of reporting this to ICSTIS as, imo, it purports to fraud, claiming I have won something that I have clearly not.

Graham
29-06-2004, 12:46
ps - I've taken the liberty of reporting this to ICSTIS as, imo, it purports to fraud, claiming I have won something that I have clearly not.

Sensible move!

BTW it's also in breach of ICSTIS rules because it doesn't tell you the cost of the call, nor give a contact address.

skyblueheroes
29-06-2004, 12:50
Yep - had one of those too.

Mike
29-06-2004, 13:15
I always register any phone to the Telephone Preference Service (TPS)www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/ which is designed to stop such calls.

I would recommend everyone does it

allanprg
29-06-2004, 13:38
I had the exact same jackpot phonecall last week on the answer phone. I just deleted it. Just knew it was dodgy. 1st one in a long time.

Caspar
29-06-2004, 14:20
I recieved a SMS message about a month ago... telling me i had a voicemail and I should phone this number to hear it!....I phoned it! :mad: ....only online for a split second until I twigged :(