PDA

View Full Version : BT [Yahoo] to start capping.

Paul
28-06-2004, 23:45
BT is introducing usage allowances in early 2005 on its Broadband products.

http://preview.btopenworld.com:8080/broadband/usage

A 15GB or 30GB cap with a £2 per GB charge if you go over your limit.

Ignition
28-06-2004, 23:48
*Waits for anticap to and a petition to appear ;)

Original link to that incase BT take that page offline:

http://www.uk-bug.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=371&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0

kronas
28-06-2004, 23:51
so another provider turns its business model towards limiting usage, and providing its customers with a 'fair' service' in other words we want more money :rolleyes:

ian@huth
28-06-2004, 23:56
Note that the 15Gb per month is the total of both downloads and uploads.

kronas
29-06-2004, 00:13
Note that the 15Gb per month is the total of both downloads and uploads.

you know its funny that yahoo can deal with 20mbit lines in japan (not aware of limits there) yet over here they struggle with 512k :erm:

i am aware that yahoo are in partnership with two diffarent companys on two diffarent networks.....still does not make sense :erm:

ntl customer
29-06-2004, 01:12
you know its funny that yahoo can deal with 20mbit lines in japan (not aware of limits there) yet over here they struggle with 512k :erm:

i am aware that yahoo are in partnership with two diffarent companys on two diffarent networks.....still does not make sense :erm:

I suppose over here, we have corporate monolith, BT who abuse their position as a dominant telco to peddle slow speed ADSL and try and milk as much money out of customers as possible. And even then, they still want to push capped or low speed (150k) services and obsolete technology - not everybody can get 1Mb due to the condition of the lines and the length; so whilst the world steams ahead we get left behind with our 150k "broadband" connections. In an ideal world it would be great to have fibre to the door and 100Mbit download speeds but as BT being the main telco in this country, it seems imposssible, if not a dream.

There is also a common misconception amongst the "man in the street" that you can only get broadband from BT - this is NOT true; you only need to have a phoneline with them and you do not need to go with their rip-off ISP. There are loads of other better deals out there which are cheaper and can offer better service. :tu:

BT are extremely aggressive in the way that they push their own ADSL services - but most people get locked into 12 month contracts and can feel regret in signing up to their services when they see other ISP's offerings.

themelon
29-06-2004, 01:55
Its gonna happen, Ive noticed that ADSL is getting slower and slower the more people that use it.

Our works connection averages about 150k during peak times, which is pretty pathetic really.

The only way we can hope to get faster broadband is if the cable companies suddenly come up with a killer product that makes them serious money and they can begin a new build program and upgrade existing infastructures with quality components.

That sadly is about as likely as a Pig Flying!

Charlie_Bubble
29-06-2004, 02:06
Its gonna happen, Ive noticed that ADSL is getting slower and slower the more people that use it.

Our works connection averages about 150k during peak times, which is pretty pathetic really.

The only way we can hope to get faster broadband is if the cable companies suddenly come up with a killer product that makes them serious money and they can begin a new build program and upgrade existing infastructures with quality components.

That sadly is about as likely as a Pig Flying!

I've had the opposite happen to me recently. My ADSL conn used to max out just under 110 KB/s, but the last couple of weeks it is over 120KB/s.