PDA

View Full Version : Connection Problems (luton)

nufcfan123
28-06-2004, 23:40
i am getting disconnected from NTL quite alot recently

when it happens, the USB light goes out (im trying to find a ethernet cable) so i think it's something to do with the Cable Modem rather than the connection it's self.

Can anyone shed some light on this. Thanks :D

Tech_Boy
29-06-2004, 00:10
If the usb light dropps, I'm pretty sure it's going to be a pc issue.

best bet would be to call tech support & they can run a check on your modem, do it when it goes next time.

Peace Out.
Tech_Boy

homealone
29-06-2004, 00:25
If the usb light dropps, I'm pretty sure it's going to be a pc issue.

best bet would be to call tech support & they can run a check on your modem, do it when it goes next time.

Peace Out.
Tech_Boy

I think you are on the right track, there, Tech_Boy, in the meantime if nufcfan123 could post a few more details, it may help?

where they live.
operating system - windows xp/me/98, etc & version.
type of modem - e.g. ntl:home 100.
whether they run antivirus/spyware check/firewall - and which ones.
any extra stuff like connecting through a router?

nufcfan123
29-06-2004, 00:34
Where i live - Luton :D
Windows XP
ntl: home 100
Norton Internet Firewall + XP Firewall (i think i have that disconnected though)
No router or anything though

homealone
29-06-2004, 01:45
Where i live - Luton :D
Windows XP
ntl: home 100
Norton Internet Firewall + XP Firewall (i think i have that disconnected though)
No router or anything though

you still may need to check against spyware, imo

adaware

http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

or spybot

http://security.kolla.de/

nufcfan123
29-06-2004, 04:10
i done a spyware check yesterday, so it definatly is not that

greencreeper
29-06-2004, 04:43
When the light goes out, what does System Properties show for the USB controller and associated devices?

I heard that some motherboard USB interfaces are dodgy. I know I've had less problems with my printer since I bought a seperate USB card for it.

BarFly
29-06-2004, 04:44
Hi,

ok give this try.....

go to into the USB root hub in device manager & ensure that it is not allowed to be turned off for power saving, this could be the cause of the usb light to go off as....... the pc may need to save power!!!!

To do this >

Control panel > system > hardware > Device Manger > USB controller >

Double click on each root hub in turn > power management tab >

The first option should be turn off to save power, ensure this is unticked.

Though if using USB2 i dont think there is this option, & to be honest you would be better off switching to a NIC rather than USB, as this solves so many issues like this.

Hope it Helps

Barfly

goldoni
29-06-2004, 11:35
Good advise from BarFly. Your computer when the systems resources are all used up will shutdown the USB ports to save power even though you have told it not to shutdown. All the people that I have installed a NIC no longer have the problem. They would complain that while downloading the modem would drop the line.

A computer I had in last week AMD 400Mhz with 256Mb RAM running ME with a Tearyon modem via USB with Norton Internet Security installed had the same problem. I installed a NIC, problem solved. The other thing that I changed was his temporary internet files folder from 980Mb to 80mb again your system is working much harder searching 980Mb than 80Mb I also removed 138 spyware 5 registry changes and removed two registry folders and his pooter was flying again.

I would also check the amount of programmes you have running in the background, Norton Internet Security itself is very hungry for system resources if you are using all the modules. (You did not give your CPU speed or amount of RAM )

One other thing that most people donââ‚Âà ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢t admit to using is a software utility to increase the modem speed, but when you look all the modem settings are wrong for their connection. I set them to default settings and change the temp Internet folder as above.

I hope some or all of this helps ;)

nufcfan123
29-06-2004, 21:47
2.5 p4
512mb ram
btw :D

and when you say nick, you mean using the ethernet cables right?

edit:
which brings me to my next problem, how do i swap them over, i know you have to do something which involves uninstalling the USB drivers, but i would like it examed a bit so i don't mess up, thanks :D

nufcfan123
30-06-2004, 00:51
explained*

edit: No matter. i sorted it my self, thanks for everyones help in the topic :D

goldoni
30-06-2004, 02:55
2.5 p4
512mb ram
btw :D

and when you say nick, you mean using the ethernet cables right?

edit:
which brings me to my next problem, how do i swap them over, i know you have to do something which involves uninstalling the USB drivers, but i would like it examed a bit so i don't mess up, thanks :D
The USB drivers loaded from the NTL disk should be no problem. I have never botherd or should I say thought of removing them..

The spec of ur PC looks fine so that should not be a problem. The ref to a NIC stands for Network Interface Card (Network Card) they cost only about £10.00 and I think they are all now 10/100. They are easy to install just remember to pull your power cord out before playing arround inside your case. Also Power down your modem and Place the card in one of your PCI slots and fix it with a screw, if you don't have any ask the shop for a couple Connect the ethernet cable to your modem and PC. power your PC and modem up and XP will report found new device, XP will load its own driver for the NIC. You now should be up and running.

IF NOT:

click on start then run. In the box type command.com and press enter. In the black box (DOS screen) type ipconfig /all you will see all the adaptors on your pooter. Look for the Ethernet adaptor on the list. You should see under the entry †œ ip address †œ a number. This is your ip address. If the number is all 0â₠¬ÃƒÆ’¢â€žÂ¢s or has an address starting 169 you will need to type Ipconfig /release wait 10 seconds and then type ipconfig /renewYou will see a message confirming that a new address has been obtained. close the DOS window and you should be up and running. Post a message to this board and let us know how you got on and did it sort ur problem.

IF NOT:

Call the nice guys at NTL tech surpport as you will have done everything you can to confirm its not your PC.

nufcfan123
30-06-2004, 23:02
ok it just happened again (im using NIC as well now).

More details, it seems to always happen at this time aswell. My it has something to do with my firewall settings ? or is NTL screwing with my service.

PS. No lights went off this time, it's strange to say the least

EDIT:
According to Norton Internet Sercurity 2002 version, my most frequent hacker, into my system is my IP, and i am sending myself Trojon's. I think this is why i am disconnecting as it says in the thing i read

"When the firewall picks up recent attacks, It disconnects the port and does not allow anything to download or upload to/from the PC for 30mins"

Why would i be hacking myself though?

Paul
30-06-2004, 23:52
Arrrgggggg, Norton ..... Aarrrggggggg. :banghead:

It is great at detecting stuff that just isn't there, and then locking you out for 30 mins. Turn this feature off if you can, or junk Norton for something better.

goldoni
01-07-2004, 01:05
ok it just happened again (im using NIC as well now).

More details, it seems to always happen at this time aswell. My it has something to do with my firewall settings ? or is NTL screwing with my service. ?Re your using a NIC as well do I take it to mean you have both connected???? If so unplug the USB cable.

Re your computer I would suggest you download the latest version of ad-aware make sure its updated with the latest definitions turn off your computer and unplug your modem and boot into safe mode (hit sorry touch the F8 key when re-booting) and you will get a menu, choose safe mode. When started run the newly version of Ad-aware and see what that picks-up. Re-connect your modem Re-boot your PC into normal mode and do an online virus scan with http://housecall.antivirus.com (http://housecall.antivirus.com/) see if that picks up your problem. If nothing is found try a system restore to a time when you did not have a problem, if that fails itââ‚ ¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢s the big format C:/U then re-load your version of XP do the updates, if you have any hooky software donââ‚Âà ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢t use it as some have been re-written to screw your PC. Regarding NTL screwing with your connection, I think they have better things to do.

When you get your PC working again download spyblaster,,,, one other thing you could download Hackthis and post the results on this board for the tecks to advise you.

Good luck ;)

nufcfan123
02-07-2004, 00:31
I have tried everything now, including reinstalling all of my settings to factory using the recovery disk. But the problem persists

i have also ditched norton, and am using a new firewall that i was reccomended called Kiero 2.1.5

it surely must be the modem now, I am going to get in contact with NTL tomorrow about this problem. Hopefully it will be sorted soon

goldoni
02-07-2004, 00:59
According to Norton Internet Sercurity 2002 version, my most frequent hacker, into my system is my IP, and i am sending myself Trojon's. I think this is why i am disconnecting as it says in the thing i read
Due to this part of your report I would say someone has or getting access to your PC, did you do the adaware scan in safe mode along with the online virus check in normal mode?????

give the BB tech guys a call and they can check you modem.

Chris W
02-07-2004, 01:25
I have tried everything now, including reinstalling all of my settings to factory using the recovery disk. But the problem persists

i have also ditched norton, and am using a new firewall that i was reccomended called Kiero 2.1.5

it surely must be the modem now, I am going to get in contact with NTL tomorrow about this problem. Hopefully it will be sorted soon

If you don't have any luck, pm me the mac address of the modem and i will have a look at it when i am work on saturday

MB

nufcfan123
02-07-2004, 01:25
well since i just deleted my harddrive basically, no attacks, and i replaced norton's pretty dodgy firewall with that free one for now.

nufcfan123
03-07-2004, 03:39
still the disconnections, i don't know why. I honestly think it is the modem now, thank you moneybreath for checking if thats the case in advance for tomorrow.

goldoni
03-07-2004, 08:22
still the disconnections, i don't know why. I honestly think it is the modem now, thank you moneybreath for checking if thats the case in advance for tomorrow.
You don't say if you are still being attacked?? Also did you send a private message to monkybreath (not moneybreath) with your MAC address of your modem??? This info he will need to check your modem. It would also seem your problem is intermittent so it could be your modem checks out fine and I donââ‚Âà ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢t know if he is able to check your signal strength, if thatââ‚ ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢s out all sort of strange things will happen and if you have Digital TV via a STB on the same line it would also be locking-up and need re-setting. If this is the case it will need to be adjusted by a NTL Engineer.

nufcfan123
04-07-2004, 23:18
well i got a engineer phoning with in 48hours and arranging a call out. something about the signal strengh (18decimbels and you are meant to get more than 20)

so hopefully this will put a end to my problem :D

and i don't have NTL Tele, used to but i have sky now, maybe this is there way of revenge ;)

nufcfan123
07-07-2004, 18:33
ok it has been 3 days now, no call :(

Ignition
07-07-2004, 21:07
Gis your IP address will check return path to ntl.

goldoni
07-07-2004, 21:20
ok it has been 3 days now, no call :(

I would give NTL faults a phone call dial 151 and choose faults. Tell them of your problem with your modem and you were expecting a call within 48hs of reporting the problem to NTL BB tech. They will then book an engineer. BUT as soon as you have done this you will get that phone call, its called sods law. :mad:

nufcfan123
08-07-2004, 20:22
i think i shall :D

it seems I'm not the only person with this problem on this forum either.

OK they said they had cancelled the Engineer(thanks for telling me NTL) and that i was not qualified for a Engineer Call out now, as it is a 'On Going Issue'

nufcfan123
11-07-2004, 03:06
ok, they say it's a problem in my area, which they are trying to 'resolve' but as of yet have not resolved anything.

I am honestly considering changing to a different subscriber if this is not sorted within the next 2 weeks

goldoni
09-08-2004, 21:04
ok, they say it's a problem in my area, which they are trying to 'resolve' but as of yet have not resolved anything.

I am honestly considering changing to a different subscriber if this is not sorted within the next 2 weeks
So have we any news on you problem, or is it all working now or did you leave for pastures new??