PDA

View Full Version : Gas Level Indicator : ?

Mike
28-06-2004, 17:02
Hi all

Ok question for you all.......................How can you find out how much gas is left in a 18 kg gas bottle.

Ie So you don't invite everyone around for a BBQ for it just to run out.

thanks

Mike

homealone
28-06-2004, 17:11
weigh a full one, then weigh an empty one, the difference is obviously the weight of the liquefied gas. So then if you weigh your part used one, take off the weight of an empty one, you should get an idea of whether it is half / quarter full, etc.:)

Mike
28-06-2004, 17:13
weigh a full one, then weigh an empty one, the difference is obviously the weight of the liquefied gas. So then if you weigh your part used one, take off the weight of an empty one, you should get an idea of whether it is half / quarter full, etc.:)

Problem is have not got an empty one..........have seen magnetic gas level indicators not the internet but not sure if they work !

Chris
28-06-2004, 17:15
After years of having a family caravan as I was growing up, I learned how to tell just by the weight of it - it's impossible to describe but you can just tell pretty well by what it feels like when you pick it up. If it's getting empty you can shake it as well and hear if anything much is sloshing around, but I couldn't recommend that as even an empty bottle dropping on your toes is painful.

homealone
28-06-2004, 17:23
Problem is have not got an empty one..........have seen magnetic gas level indicators not the internet but not sure if they work !

I'm sure where-ever you buy them from, won't mind you nipping down there with a set of bathroom scales & weighing a full & empty one?

- otherwise it's towny's method with steel toe caps on ;)

- at least no-one has suggested taking the top off & having a look :D

paulyoung666
28-06-2004, 17:24
now there is a reader offer doing the rounds in the express for exactly this situation , i will keep an eye out for it for you :)

Julian
28-06-2004, 17:28
By law the tare weight should be on the bottle as the gas is sold by weight. :)

ian@huth
28-06-2004, 17:35
now there is a reader offer doing the rounds in the express for exactly this situation , i will keep an eye out for it for you :)

https://www.offershop.co.uk/index.cfm?FA=OFFER&OFFER=4766&PUB=10

paulyoung666
28-06-2004, 17:45

thats the little beggar :D :D :D :D

Chris
28-06-2004, 17:47
Hi all

Ok question for you all.......................How can you find out how much gas is left in a 18 kg gas bottle.

thanks

Mike
Of course, you could just have a proper barbecue and use charcoal. Personally I can't understand the attraction of 'barbecue' cooking on gas. If I wanted to do that I could just use the cooker in the kitchen. ;)

zoombini
28-06-2004, 17:50
Hi all

thanks

Mike

Yup, weight is the only way.
Doesn't "18kg" give you a hint?
Ring up the gas supplier, describe the bottle to them & they will be able to tell you the weight empty (if its not written on the side).

zoombini
28-06-2004, 17:51

Isnt it cheaper just to get it refilled anyway?

paulyoung666
28-06-2004, 17:52
Yup, weight is the only way.
Doesn't "18kg" give you a hint?
Ring up the gas supplier, describe the bottle to them & they will be able to tell you the weight empty (if its not written on the side).

iirc correctly the tare and gross weights should be stamped on it , so you get your full 18kg of gas , i think :erm:
i will try and have a look at work tommorrow :)

ian@huth
28-06-2004, 17:57
Another source for gas level indicators (& gas) is http://www.caravanning-online.co.uk/acatalog/caravan-gas-lockers.html#

ian@huth
28-06-2004, 18:29
Thinking about it logically, liquified gas is cold so you could try pouring some hot water (not boiling) down the side of the gas cylinder. If you rub your finger along the wet streak you should be able to tell the gas level by the change in temperature felt (colder up to the level of gas, warmer above).

SMHarman
28-06-2004, 18:32
First isn't it 15kg bottle.
As already said look for the TARE weight on the side, thats the empty weight (or the full plus tin - I can't remember) Weigh it and the difference is the Kgs used.

Or if you are having a big barbie, replace it anyway. Better safe than out of gas.

Of course, you could just have a proper barbecue and use charcoal. Personally I can't understand the attraction of 'barbecue' cooking on gas. If I wanted to do that I could just use the cooker in the kitchen. ;)

Well you can, but the lava rock does result in a proper barbeque cooking rather than cooking on gas. Most home cookers don't have griddles,.

Final advantage, is that you can get home from work, switch it on and be cooking 20 mins later, so can bbq regularly through the summer (and spring and autumn - with the patio heater alongside). Harder to quickstart like this on charcole. Another bonus, safer with children, finished cooking, switch it off it cools quicker than letting the coals burn out (or water on them).

Tricky
28-06-2004, 19:24
Buy a can of component freezer (maplins) and spray down the cylinder early in the morning the level of gas will be indicated by the area that shows no frost the 1st...

keithwalton
28-06-2004, 19:52
hmm i've never dealt with gas bottles myself but speaking as an engineer, i'll try and answer some of the stuff said above.

Gas bottles i presume are presurised with gas to weight. The pressure would be quite alot greater than atmospheric. It can also allow it to be storred as a liquid rather than a gas (LPG is like this i believe)

The gas will be let out in a controlled manner by using a throttle valve which will limit the pressure and flow rate of gas leaving the bottle to a safe amount. The pressure storred in the bottle will be much greater than this.

If the gas was storred as a liquid in the bottle (kinda ironic aint it) then it would settle at the bottom and have a finite level much like a bottle of water. You should then be able to read where this level is by some sort of permiativity device.
If it's storred as a gas then you'd be stumped to find a level as it would expand to fill its container. only weight would then do it.

Because of the throttle mechanism you will only be able to tell when the gas is about to run out a few moments before it does as the gas supplied will be a little over atmospheric pressure.
1.5 Bar as an estimate whilst internally it'll be say 15 bar initially.
Until it falls to 1.5 bar internally you wont notice any difference in performance then once it passes the threshold it will fall to what it is internally until it hits atmospheric pressure to when it'll stop coming out.

To summerise, better to be safe than to run out. If its storred as a liquid then you should be able to find it's level

K

Mike
28-06-2004, 20:09
iirc correctly the tare and gross weights should be stamped on it , so you get your full 18kg of gas , i think :erm:
i will try and have a look at work tommorrow :)

Just checked and I got the weight on the bottle wrong............. :rolleyes:

It states 13 kgs...........on the bottom it states T1 as 3 kg...is that the tarr weight resulting in the weight of gas as 10 or 13 kgs !

paulyoung666
28-06-2004, 20:11
Just checked and I got the weight on the bottle wrong............. :rolleyes:

It states 13 kgs...........on the bottom it states T1 as 3 kg...is that the tarr weight resulting in the weight of gas as 10 or 13 kgs !

10kg of gas and 3kg of bottle :)

Paul
28-06-2004, 20:15
All I do is shake it - you should be able to hear the liquid gas sloshing around. You should be able to tell if it sounds nearly empty.

SMHarman
28-06-2004, 22:38
10kg of gas and 3kg of bottle :)

Exactly, now go stand on the bathroom scales, then pick thebottle up and calculate the difference.