PDA

View Full Version : ADSL modem

Bulky
25-07-2003, 18:37
My dad is ordering bt adsl as his exchange has just been upgraded (can't get NTL), he doesn't want to use the provided modem because he wants to use NIC connection not usb, can anyone recomend a decent ADSL modem ??

thanx

ic14
25-07-2003, 20:08
The Zoom x4 has proved to be relible for me,
Its got a usb connection and an ethernet connection, and is a router and basic firewall as well.
Although if he wants to add more than 1 pc to it you will need to buy a hub/switch

Steve H
25-07-2003, 20:48
Im pretty sure you can just use the modem they give you, and buy a ADSL router, which lets you then use ethernet?.. Cousins needing to get his sorted out as ethernet soon as well.

Bulky
25-07-2003, 20:54
can usb plug into a router?, surely you would still have the unreliable usb problem ???? ( i don't know, i will stand corrected ???)

Steve H
25-07-2003, 20:57
The problem with USB lies at the computer, because when connected via USB > Computer, Your system resources are used up, which isnt the same when using an Ethernet Connection..

I presume (Il stand corrected), That you can use the given ADSL Modem, Connect the USB bit into a ADSL router?, and then use the Ethernet Ports as normal?.. Dont know though, not my area.

ic14
25-07-2003, 21:15
No the one ive suggested is a Ethernet router.modem, you dont need anyover modem

dozysplot
25-07-2003, 21:56
Originally posted by ic14
The Zoom x4 has proved to be relible for me,
Its got a usb connection and an ethernet connection, and is a router and basic firewall as well.
Although if he wants to add more than 1 pc to it you will need to buy a hub/switch

I second this, we sell a lot of the zoom x4's at pcworld and I can't remember one coming back as faulty.

Unbeliavbly we've just dropped the price to the same as the zoom x3 (no firewall) . The Rock Apes at Head office strike again!!!
:monkey::monkey::monkey::monkey::monkey:

steve
pcw techie

Xaccers
26-07-2003, 00:15
I've got a d-link 604+
Just waiting for BT to pull their finger out and do a line test!

Lord Nikon
26-07-2003, 00:31
There is a known issue between the Voyager ADSL 100 modem BT are shipping and machines running a VIA chipset. my advice is go for an ADSL router, such as the MRI ones sold at scan.co.uk apart from being £5 cheaper than the Voyager from BT they are much more reliable..

(The issue is that the software BT ship with the Voyager slows a P4 down to 286 speeds)

Undisputedtruth
26-07-2003, 09:45
You may wish to take a look at the D-Link dsl300G+ which has USB and ethernet connections. The netgear dm602 is a very stylish modem.

TigaSefi
26-07-2003, 10:10
I love my Netgear DG814 at www.netgear.co.uk it great... it all in one so u can connect up to 4 computers. www.thebroadbandstore.co.uk is a top top site. Nice prices and customer service is 2nd to none.

Undisputedtruth
26-07-2003, 11:46
Originally posted by TigaSefi
I love my Netgear DG814 at www.netgear.co.uk it great... it all in one so u can connect up to 4 computers. www.thebroadbandstore.co.uk is a top top site. Nice prices and customer service is 2nd to none.

I'll probably buy some Netgear stuff like the WGR614 and WG511 along with D-Link dsl300g+. These products are far more stylish than the second hand rubbish you could get from NTL.

There are some very good sites where you can buy ADSL products, www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk , www.dslsource.co.uk and www.dslwarehouse.co.uk

Bifta
26-07-2003, 11:58
I'll second dslwarehouse, the best presales advice I've ever been given by any company.

Undisputedtruth
26-07-2003, 14:35
Originally posted by Bifta
I'll second dslwarehouse, the best presales advice I've ever been given by any company.

I've tried all three, but I got some excellent presales advice from broadbandbuyer and dslsource. They were willing to explain much about their products as they can.

ic14
26-07-2003, 18:00
Originally posted by dozysplot
I second this, we sell a lot of the zoom x4's at pcworld and I can't remember one coming back as faulty.

Unbeliavbly we've just dropped the price to the same as the zoom x3 (no firewall) .
steve
pcw techie

:D I cant belive they acctully lowered the price!!

It proves how excellently built they are if none have beigng returned!

TigaSefi
26-07-2003, 22:12
Maybe they so cheap they get binned and a different more reliable model is brought. :) hehe

Undisputedtruth
27-07-2003, 21:56
I was in PCWorld a few weeks ago and a young girl tried to sell me an Advent laptop on the basis that none hardly came back due to faults. I took one look at it and decided that they probably sell so few laptops to give an accurate picture. However, she was knowledgeable about computers. The sales staff are a bundle of hit and miss. Their products are expensive for my liking but you can get some good advice from the PC clinic help desk.

Lord Nikon
27-07-2003, 21:59
if you want laptops take a look here - http://www.n21online.com

good specs and excellent prices. (not that I have bought from them, but people I have sent there have no complaints)

dozysplot
28-07-2003, 15:22
Originally posted by Undisputedtruth
I was in PCWorld a few weeks ago and a young girl tried to sell me an Advent laptop on the basis that none hardly came back due to faults. I took one look at it and decided that they probably sell so few laptops to give an accurate picture.

Advent as a brand are very hit and miss. You can get some stunning pc's from them which are very reliable and made from quality parts, on the other side of the coin there are some duff one's. Bout a month they brought out a top o the range laptop and all 4 in the first batch they sent us were faulty!!!

:shrug: :D

MadGamer
24-08-2003, 12:42
Just get a Zoom PCI ADSL Modem from PC World. Since it's been in my PC i've had no problem with my broadband service.

PS It's an internal modem