PDA

View Full Version : Nasty accidents

Jerrek
26-06-2004, 09:33
Do you get easily freaked out? Does the sight of blood make you weak? Here are two events that recently happened in this area to make you feel queesy.

A man was climbing a tree in his front yard when he slipped. He managed to fall onto a branch below, however, a smaller branch that was sticking up entered his ass hole. The branch continued to penetrate him until it stopped just below his heart. Paramedics arrived and had to cut the branch off at the base and had to transport him like that to the hospital. No vital organs were pierced and aside from some minor damage to his intestines and his ego he was fine.

A more serious story: A kid, about 10 years old, was running down the path leading up to the gate in his front yard. The gate had pretty decorations on top in the form of sharp, pointy metal spikes. He slipped, and his head hit one of these spikes. The spike entered the fleshy part below your mouth in the concave area of the jawbone. It went right through the bottom of his mouth, through his tongue, and stopped short of going through the roof of the mouth. When the paramedics arrived at the scene, they had to use an angle grinder to cut through the metal spoke in order to transport the kid to the hospital. What made this particularly bad was the vibrations caused by the grinder caused intense pain for the kid and they had to stop every few seconds. It took over 6 minutes to finish the process.

The nastiest wound I've had to treat myself was a beer bottle smashed to someone's head causing a deep laceration and a fair bit of bleeding. The guy was holding his head with blood streaming down his arm and bits of glass was stuck in the wound. Had to wrap it up a bit, but you couldn't apply direct presssure to stop the bleeding because of the glass imbedded in the wound. As a result, we had more blood than we could adequately deal with (not too dangerous to the person because it is still only a fraction of how much one can loose before it is considered life threatening) and it frightened a lot of people. Not a pretty sight. He made a full recovery though.

Any stories you have to share? :)

Steve H
26-06-2004, 12:06
:eek: at the ass one.

I haven't really had any serious injuries myself, apart from the odd broken bone, and a few cracked heads, and a dislocated shoulder.. thats about it.

The worst accident I had to deal with personally, was one of my mates broken wrists. He was 'herry a berried' down a hill back in my school days and landed awkard.. very awkard. His bone (can't remember the name) was protruding out of his skin about an inch. Looked horrible :eek: At first, I didn't know what it was.. he was trying to flick it away lol (Pain hadn't hit him) Anyway, he went in shock, and I had to kinda support his wrist as well as talking to him whilst the ambulance guys come (Severely sprained ankle as well)

Wasn't very nice :)

paulyoung666
26-06-2004, 12:26
how about getting your leg crushed by a 3.5 ton industrial roller , and ending up with nerve and artery damage , not recommended i assure you :disturbd: :disturbd: :disturbd:

Dave Stones
26-06-2004, 12:28
the worst thing i have seen involving someone i know was at secondary school, the fencing around the playground was supported by steel posts. he got pushed into one of these playing football, and dislocated his elbow and wrist on the same arm. he had a very bizarre shaped arm until the paramedics came, i can tell you that...

and nasty accident i have seen, but no one i know (rubbernecking eh?) was a rather unpleasant motorbike accident. the biker's arm was lying a good distance from the biker....

Bex
26-06-2004, 12:39
how about getting your leg crushed by a 3.5 ton industrial roller , and ending up with nerve and artery damage , not recommended i assure you :disturbd: :disturbd: :disturbd:
but you lived to tell the tale and that is the most important thing paul :hugs:

when i was about seven or eight, my sister and i were out on the playground (we live in the grounds of a school where my dad is a caretaker) and she was walking along a low wall pushing her bike along next to her. she feel and the bit you pull to activate the breaks went into her neck. being young i didnt realise how dangerous it was and we just pulled the handle out and ran to mum. mum sat her on the kitchen side and had a look at it( without moving her neck) it just looked like a little scratch until mum lifted my sisters neck up slightly and it kind of all opened up. we took her to the hospital and four people had to hold her down while they gave her stitches.

i'm pretty squemish when it comes to blood but the thing that scared me and i found most horrific, wasnt an accident, but it was seeing my nephew (whose was three at the time) lying in a hospital bed, all bloated and unable to move, with tubes all over him. he had menningitis. was worse than any horrific accident i have ever seen.

Earl of Bronze
26-06-2004, 13:03
My top three all-time bad accidents/ injuries.

1). While I was serving a 6 month UN Tour in Sarajevo, my self and 2 mates attempted to save the life of a Bosnian woman who had been hit by shrapnel. The shrapnel had hit the woman in the back of the right arm. About mid-way between the shoulder and elbow, almost severing the arm at this point. The shrap. then exited her arm, and smashed throught the head of the infant in her arms. By the time the three of us got to her she was in shock, screaming in agony, and loosing blood at a prodigious rate. I applied a tourniquet (sp), to stop the arterial bleed, but when it came to attending the wound, we had difficulty due to the arm below the wound still being attached by a small peice of flesh. In the end, in despirstion I took the decision to cut free the remains of the (almost) amputated arm. Unfortunately the woman and her child where both dead by the time an ambulance got to us. It took 9 years to stop seeing that in my dreams every night.

2). On Winter Warfare Exercise in Norway, I was lead climber for my Troop. we had been ordered to do a Demolitions Ex, where we would climb a cliff, set explosives on an overhanging snow ledge, and then drop the snow in an artificial avalanche(sp). I was just starting the final leg to the to of the cliff, when I lost my hold. I ended up falling 75 feet or so down the cliff-face, and ended up with the following injuries.....
Broken right shoulder.
Broken left clavical.
Broken right shoulder blade.
4 broken ribs
5 fractured ribs.
Fractured skull (forehead abover left eye)
Fractured left orbit.
Fractured Left cheek.
Fractured jaw.
Fractured 3rd lumbar vertebrea (sp).
Dislocated right knee.
Severe concussion.
Hysterical blindness.
Slight brain damage.

3). Was in a car accident on 17.02.2004. Was a back seat passenger (near side), when the car I and my late partner where in was T-boned on the drivers side. By the time the car had come to a rest, I had 8 broken ribs (all in the right side of my back), Bruising to my Liver, Right Kidney, and Pluricy in the area of mu right lung. I now have an oval lump on my back about 8" long, 4 inches wide, and 30mm in height where 4 of the ribs which where shattered have rehealed. The driver (my mate Dave) broke his sternum, the front seat passenger (big Rodz) has several bruised ribs, cut and bumps. My partner Maureen suffered massive, and ultimately fatal internal injuries.

Ramrod
26-06-2004, 20:47
My top three all-time bad accidents/ injuries.
<snip>.omfg.......and I suspect you have a few more tales to tell :erm:

Russ
26-06-2004, 20:53
3). Was in a car accident on 17.02.2004. Was a back seat passenger (near side), when the car I and my late partner where in was T-boned on the drivers side. By the time the car had come to a rest, I had 8 broken ribs (all in the right side of my back), Bruising to my Liver, Right Kidney, and Pluricy in the area of mu right lung. I now have an oval lump on my back about 8" long, 4 inches wide, and 30mm in height where 4 of the ribs which where shattered have rehealed. The driver (my mate Dave) broke his sternum, the front seat passenger (big Rodz) has several bruised ribs, cut and bumps. My partner Maureen suffered massive, and ultimately fatal internal injuries.

Pardon my ignorance and please accept my apologies for digging up such a terrible incident but what do you mean by the car was "T boned"?

Ramrod
26-06-2004, 20:56
Pardon my ignorance and please accept my apologies for digging up such a terrible incident but what do you mean by the car was "T boned"?
Square on side impact by another vehicle.

Earl of Bronze
26-06-2004, 21:16
Square on side impact by another vehicle.

Couldnt word it better myself.

You a police officer by any chance?? :erm: ;)

Halcyon
26-06-2004, 21:53
This sure did hurt at the time.....

Age about 5, picking up a piece of charcoal that had fallen from the barbecue with the intention of putting it back in the barbecue tray.

Very, Very, Hot !!!

Ramrod
26-06-2004, 21:56
Couldnt word it better myself.

You a police officer by any chance?? :erm: ;)
I deal with the results of rta's :(

Earl of Bronze
26-06-2004, 22:10
I deal with the results of rta's :(

A doctor then?

If so........................ WELL MET. :)

Ramrod
26-06-2004, 22:12
A doctor then?

If so........................ WELL MET. :)I'm a chiropractor

greencreeper
27-06-2004, 03:20
I have lots of accidents but they're all fairly minor. Never broken anything. Thankfully I've never seen anyone badly injured - don't want to neither. Blood doesn't particularly bother me. I get in a right state if I'm injured and I have to endure pain. I once got a metal splinter in my finger and it took about half an hour with a pair of tweezers for me to get it out - I was dripping sweat and my heart was hammering. Big wuss :D

My two worst -

Caught my finger with a pair of electric hedge trimmers once - that was nasty. The blade went into the finger tip and nearly came out the other side, leaving a big blood blister. I used ice and ice water to reduce blood loss til I could bandage it. Healed fine. I could have sat for 6 hours in casualty but I didn't see the point. I didn't feel a thing at the time - hurt like hell for days afterwards though.

My mate was under a lot of pressure and stress and as a cry for help he broke a razor and slashed his left forearm about 50 times according to the hospital. I came home and found a blood stained bathroom sink first. It took some bottle to go into the living room - I was pretty sure he was gonna be dead. But no - very much alive but in a right state. Arm was a mess - it's hard to describe unless you've seen it but the wounds bled fluid as well as blood, so it was sort of sticky and glistening. Eeeeeeeeek. I forgot my first aid training and legged it for an ambulance :rolleyes:

Jon M
28-06-2004, 15:06
I've not had any good ones myself, apart from the usually nasty falls off my bike and assorted other minor bumps and scrapes. I've never broken a bone that I'm aware of.

My brother-in-law however has some great stories... my favourite is that when he was in junior school, he got bored and tried sticking his little finger through each of the increasingly smaller holes in one of those plastic stencil sheets.

Inevitably he got it stuck.. and asked a friend to pull it off.
His friend pulled, and they thought they'd succeeded.. until they noticed that his finger was still in the stencil ( the skin anyway ;) ).
He put the skin back on his finger .. and said to the teacher "I think I need to go to hospital".. she said ( assuming that he was messing about ) "oh really, and whats the matter?" .. he then proceeded to slide the skin on his finger up and down a few times for maximum effect.
The sight of this was obviously too much and she passed out.

Attached is the aftermath of a nasty accident.. I think the car used to be an A3.. I've no idea if the occupants survived or not.

orangebird
28-06-2004, 15:57
The worst I've done is the classic 'p1ssed up bird :drunk: in heels in a night club doesn't look where she's going and falls down (1) step and breaks her ankle... :blush: :rolleyes:

Earl of Bronze
28-06-2004, 16:02
The worst I've done is the classic 'p1ssed up bird :drunk: in heels in a night club doesn't look where she's going and falls down (1) step and breaks her ankle... :blush: :rolleyes:

I think that was listed as one of the '101 reason's women should'nt drink'. ;) :jk: :Sprint:

Salu
29-06-2004, 09:38
Do you get easily freaked out? Does the sight of blood make you weak? Here are two events that recently happened in this area to make you feel queesy.

I've worked in the medical profession for most of my life. I worked in A&E for 10 years and now am in teaching....

I would say that I am pretty level headed in a traumatic situation after being in them regularly you tend to take control where there isn't any and you do get a sort of "immunity" to some things. Certainly the blood and guts are no longer an issue. The tragedy of the situation is sometimes hard though. Especially the children. However, if you mentally placed yourself in those people's positions everyday you would end up in quite a mess, so you have to find ways of not doing so. There are many times when you can't help it though. Humour and a pinching of the arm to gain a sense of reality help. It effects you differently on different days.

How would you deal with the posh upper class toff who shouts at you when they have waited OVER 40 MINS TO GET THIS FINGER SEEN TO, when you have just walked away from a baby who has just died due to an asthma attack or meningitis? What would you say? Would you shout at him in frustration or politely explain the situation without giving anything confidential away, whilst maintaining a professional stance?

Anyway, I am getting slightly off topic so I'll conclude by saying that I have seen many many 'icky things but recalling them is hard as they tend to meld.....One that sticks in my head is treating a man who had jumped off the roof of a car park. Some 14 floors. When we were trying to remove his clothing to examine him I remember his legs were like jelly. They moved in every direction, just like a rag doll. When one of the nurses remove his shoe his foot came with it.........

I still reel a bit when I think of that!