PDA

View Full Version : Voip

inthewildteam
26-06-2004, 02:35
Base pack subcriber

copper modem status

Offered £6.50 per month voip from BT, already have 2 mobiles one through Virgin and one through Orange)

seems to make sense to lose NTL tv and 'phone, get STB swapped for SACM get another (the third) FreeView box for main tv.

£18.00 for cable modem only

£6.50 for BT voip through my cable connection

Mobile phones out of the equation

Freeview............. for free!

lose Sky1 and Sky1 mix

Seems to me I'd be £'sssss ss better off, are NTL doing anything to redress this?

MovedGoalPosts
26-06-2004, 02:46
hmm, not sure what packages are available for TV using the freeview system. I suspect if you want loads of channels you still need cable or Sky.

VOIP may be a coming thing, especially at business level for international calls. For the home user is it a real cost advantage. The quality of your audio may drop due to compression, and have you considered if there is extra or new hardware needed on top of your broadband connection. Is your broadband connection fast enough, especially allowing for contention degradations, etc.

Remember the costs of line rental. ADSL needs a BT phone line with rental charges, Cable needs a conection, again with charges, unless part of a bundled package.

inthewildteam
26-06-2004, 02:52
Tnx for quick reply

freeview offers much the same as I get from the base pack apart from Sky1 Mix and a few other channels I never watch

This link will tell you more about voip from BT

http://www.btbroadbandvoice.com/broadband_voice/help_and_support/set_up_call_features.html

inthewildteam
26-06-2004, 02:54
BTW Bt are offering this voip through ANY bb setup of 150 or above, NTL or any other company.

Someone has missed a chance here!

inthewildteam
26-06-2004, 02:59
for the mods to move btw

Guess what's just landed in my back garden?

Becks penalty!