PDA

View Full Version : Help!!!!

Ibeam
25-06-2004, 01:13
:mad: Help required.....

This evening when my husband tried to access the internet he got this message fron ntl saying he has to download the stinger programme as his pc was infected with the skynet virus. We followed the instructions ran the programme but about two hours have passed and I still cannot access the internet and I still keep getting the same message!!!!!:td: :td: :td:

punky
25-06-2004, 01:21
:mad: Help required.....

This evening when my husband tried to access the internet he got this message fron ntl saying he has to download the stinger programme as his pc was infected with the skynet virus. We followed the instructions ran the programme but about two hours have passed and I still cannot access the internet and I still keep getting the same message!!!!!:td: :td: :td:

Skynet virus? Is the machine trying to kill you yet? :) Sorry, couldn't resist.

How do you get this message through your broadband. Does it come up through IE when you try and look at the webpage?

Sounds a bit suspect to me. I'd try running a spyware killer on your computer, to see if that helps.

Check here for more info: http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showpost.php?p=238511&postcount=2

Ibeam
25-06-2004, 01:27
When we try and access the internet through internet explorer thisw ntl page loads up I have run virus scan adaware and anything else I can find on the pc but to no avail

Ibeam
25-06-2004, 01:32
Sorry guys I have just booted up the PC again and I can now access the internet sorry............................................

punky
25-06-2004, 01:33
No worries, glad you sorted it :)

Chris W
25-06-2004, 02:33
This is what is called the walled garden. If a user is picked up as infected with (i believe) netsky or bagle then they are forced into a restricted zone called the walled garden. They then must download any appropriate fixes/ patches from the site presented to them - this process was first implemented during the blaster /welchia viruses.

Then upto 3 hours after the server confrims that the infection has been removed and protection applied, the user will be removed from the walled garden and normal service be restored. It seems like this is waht happened in Ibeam's case.

hope that helps to clarify the situation.

MB

greencreeper
25-06-2004, 02:57
This is what is called the walled garden. If a user is picked up as infected with (i believe) netsky or bagle then they are forced into a restricted zone called the walled garden. They then must download any appropriate fixes/ patches from the site presented to them - this process was first implemented during the blaster /welchia viruses.

Then upto 3 hours after the server confrims that the infection has been removed and protection applied, the user will be removed from the walled garden and normal service be restored. It seems like this is waht happened in Ibeam's case.

I've known NTL get it wrong and claim a system has a virus that it hasn't and can't have. I can think of more appropriate phrases than "walled garden" :p:

Chris W
25-06-2004, 03:08
I've known NTL get it wrong and claim a system has a virus that it hasn't and can't have. I can think of more appropriate phrases than "walled garden" :p:

well what would you prefer, users with viruses using all of your bandwidth distributing virsues and spamming you to death with netsky and bagle or for something to be done about it?!"

some people are never satisfied :rolleyes:

greencreeper
25-06-2004, 03:15
well what would you prefer, users with viruses using all of your bandwidth distributing virsues and spamming you to death with netsky and bagle or for something to be done about it?!"

some people are never satisfied :rolleyes:

<ducks as rattle whistles past> :D

Depends on the "something" that you're doing about it and how helpful and accurate the "something" is :) Don't get me started :p:

Peace.

swoop101
25-06-2004, 07:53
There would not be a need for this great system if people just used a bit of common sense and used any form of regularly updated anti virus and firewall products.
I am always dismayed when people call me saying their computers are poorly.
I have seen systems with up to 15 virus problems AND up to 1500 spyware items, and when I ask why they did not run the checks I told them to months before they just say 'we didn't think it was important'. :mad:

Well I have two more to do this weekend and they are going to pay!!!

dilli-theclaw
25-06-2004, 08:34
There would not be a need for this great system if people just used a bit of common sense and used any form of regularly updated anti virus and firewall products.
I am always dismayed when people call me saying their computers are poorly.
I have seen systems with up to 15 virus problems AND up to 1500 spyware items, and when I ask why they did not run the checks I told them to months before they just say 'we didn't think it was important'. :mad:

Well I have two more to do this weekend and they are going to pay!!!
Too right....

And don't forget 'But we have an anti-virus program' - just a shame it's 3yrs out of date as it came with the computer :rolleyes:

dilli-theclaw
25-06-2004, 08:34

MB
Sounds like a good idea to me.

greencreeper
25-06-2004, 11:30
There are awful lot of users who couldn't give a rats arse so long as their PC works. You see it on here and at other places I post - they come screaming for help because their PC doesn't start or they can't do x or the Net is slow due to all the traffic they're generating. Once it's fixed they'll go back to ignoring their responsibilties. These users should undergo a "re-education" program, preferably involving an assortment of sharp and blunt objects.

Then there are the users who sail along in ignorance til they come down to Earth with a bump due to a virus infection and then they start taking an interest in system maintenance and security.

Then there are the users for whom it's all a mystery, despite their best efforts to understand. These are the people I most like helping - they've tried and failed and need the support of the people with the ability to understand. They probably have things enabled by default (e.g. XP firewall) and their PC came with a copy of a virus scanner, but beyond that...

Theodoric
25-06-2004, 12:57

MB
Well, that's something new I've learnt and I'm duly grateful in being prepared in case it happens to me. However, it does raise an interesting point. We are forever being told that we should treat with extreme suspicion any message, however apparently trustworthy the source, asking us to put something onto our computer. So what do we do in practice when a message like this appears? I suppose that phoning a known ntl number and asking for confirmation would be the best course of action.

One final point; these walled gardens. Is there anywhere on the ntl site that provides us with information on them?

ignite
07-07-2004, 10:44
It looks like NTL are getting it wrong. I had this problem last night and it took the whole evening to get it sorted.

Now to put this into context. I've got a firewalled router on my connection, connected to 3 machines. 2 of the machines were working fine, and the 3rd would only go to this bl**dy walled garden thing. All of the machines are running McAfee Antivirus 7.1 Enterprise and they are set to update the virus defs on a daily basis. I downloaded the copy of Stinger from NTL and found it rather old. After sorting out the latest copy from McAfee's site, I checked all the machines while in Safe Mode and found no virus. I ended up having to call NTL to sort it out. They couldn't work out why only 1 of the 3 machines was affected.

Are there any legit apps that can set this off? I'm using a mailing list package (arrow) and also VNC. Otherwise, everything is totally normal.

Andy

altis
07-07-2004, 11:10
There are awful lot of users who couldn't give a rats arse so long as their PC works. You see it on here and at other places I post - they come screaming for help because their PC doesn't start or they can't do x or the Net is slow due to all the traffic they're generating. Once it's fixed they'll go back to ignoring their responsibilties. These users should undergo a "re-education" program, preferably involving an assortment of sharp and blunt objects.

Then there are the users who sail along in ignorance til they come down to Earth with a bump due to a virus infection and then they start taking an interest in system maintenance and security.

Then there are the users for whom it's all a mystery, despite their best efforts to understand. These are the people I most like helping - they've tried and failed and need the support of the people with the ability to understand. They probably have things enabled by default (e.g. XP firewall) and their PC came with a copy of a virus scanner, but beyond that...But IMHO they shouldn't need to. It's okay for us who have been at it a while and understand the pitfalls but it's way too much for a novice PC user to grasp straight away. Advertising targets them saying their new PC is internet enabled or that they can get so much benefit from, always-on, broadband. Yet, after they have coughed up all that money and try out their new purchase they find out the real truth - what they are being sold is crap and requires a lot of time and learning to make it worthwhile. It's not their fault.
Well, that's something new I've learnt and I'm duly grateful in being prepared in case it happens to me. However, it does raise an interesting point. We are forever being told that we should treat with extreme suspicion any message, however apparently trustworthy the source, asking us to put something onto our computer. So what do we do in practice when a message like this appears? I suppose that phoning a known ntl number and asking for confirmation would be the best course of action.

One final point; these walled gardens. Is there anywhere on the ntl site that provides us with information on them?Indeed. That's exactly what I thought when I read the first post. Perhaps it would be a good idea to put up some screenshots of the legitimate walled garden together with a real NTL phone number to ring. But perhaps NTL would be worried this might frighten off potential new customers. :rolleyes:

Plonking
07-07-2004, 12:03
Hmm it seems like the best option would be to try and educate people more about their pcs, which is a very difficult thing to do!

I'm not saying people are stupid, some just won't be interested in learning about the ins and outs of their pc.

One thing I have noticed from the talk elsewhere about the new windows service pack is that it seems that windows is making things easier for people to be safe(ish), without understanding what they are doing. Whilst this is the easy way to go, it is not the best way.

By encouraging people not to learn about their pc and how it works, it leaves people open to future, more advanced, forms of attack. (and lets not even begin talking about what microsoft does in the background, lol!) It also means that any advertiser can sell them any pile of crud software designed to *fix* something-or-otehr and they will just go out and buy it without understanding what it does!

Personally, I feel education would be the best way, although it will probably never happen and be virtually impossible to bring about :)