PDA

View Full Version : Jehova's Witness - Confused.....

dilli-theclaw
24-06-2004, 23:29
Now - as some of you may know from my postings I normally TRY to avoid religion in my posts, But I have a question which someone on here may know the answer to.

First my 'history' with regard to the question....

A couple of years ago I allowed some Jehovas Witnesses in to have a discussion. Anyway to cut a very long story short I had to ask them to leave in the end as they started saying I should be dead and am an abomination... Amongst other things (they got VERY vocal before they left).

I am a diabetic on insulin and apprently this offended them something chronic.

What I'd like to know is this...

Is this a standard reply/action that I should meet when meeting someone from this faith (which to be honest I've avoided doing since as it upset me quite a bit then and now) - and if it IS normal for that fait what do THEY do if someone of their faith needs insulin?

If this is not normal then fine it must just be the local members that are/were doing it. I'd just like to know what I did that upset them so much.

I'm NOT trying to start an argument over the religion - just find out some answers.

If you'd rather PM me with an answer then that's fine.

Cheers in advance.

Russ
24-06-2004, 23:45
Just tell them you're not interested. Simple.

dilli-theclaw
24-06-2004, 23:48
Just tell them you're not interested. Simple.
I have told them this since - but I just want to know where they are 'coming from' if you see what I mean - and if it was just those people or if they were speaking for the whole religion.

MetaWraith
24-06-2004, 23:59
Last time I wanted some J.W's to leave I got up and said "Sorry we'll have to cut this short as I have an appointment to donate blood, maybe we can continue another time". Never had another visit since.

Russ
24-06-2004, 23:59
There are quite a few 'sects' of the JWs - it's not always possible to be sure who you're dealing with. Give me half an hour and I'll be home and I'll tell you more then.

Earl of Bronze
25-06-2004, 00:00
Jehovas Witnesses have a 'thing' about blood. They will not alow the blood of another person to enter their bodies, or their famalies. So I suppose an 'illogical'extension to that would include any other chemical produced in the human body. Why they hold this belief I dont know, nor can I understand such a mindset.

If I was you mate, the next time they call by, tell them to feck off. Cheeky sods, if they had called me an abomination, they would finish the conversation round my fist. :mad:

Arrogant pigs.

MovedGoalPosts
25-06-2004, 00:00
I know they have some weird beliefs like no blood transfusions (that might actually be sensible in this day and age), even if that means you will die without the medical intervention. Presumably the insulin thing extends that strange process.

I never get religion due to this sort of thing. I always thought religion was about promoting tolerance, wellbeing, moral strength and all that. These days more and more it seems to be a case of my beliefs must be your beliefs and if you don't toe my line your below contempt. As a result I avoid religion of any kind at all costs (why am I posting here then :confused: )

carlingman
25-06-2004, 00:03
I have told them this since - but I just want to know where they are 'coming from' if you see what I mean - and if it was just those people or if they were speaking for the whole religion.

Well from a personal perspective to myself.

I have a cousin and cousin in law who are "practising" Jehovah Witnessess and my partner Julie is also diabetic and insulin dependant and never have I known them to express any issues with about this with us.

It is possible though they are just being polite to myself and Julies as they do live 200 miles away and we only see each other a couple of times per year for family get togethers etc. but on every occasion they have been aware of the fact that Julie is insulin dependant etc and never have either of them expressed any issues or concerns with this.

I know they have strong feelings on blood transfusions etc., and at Xmas time me and Julie can only give gifts to their children if they are wrapped up in plain brown paper as they do not celebrate Xmas etc and they even take their children out of school at this time to avoid any celebrations etc.

But the insulin/diabetic issue is a new one on me.

My cousins who are Jehovas Witnesses are currently away at the moment so I cannot phone to tactfully ask but I also work with someone who is and if I get chance and he is in work tomorrow then I will tactfully ask him tomorrow and post back with any information I find.

:D

punky
25-06-2004, 00:03
dilligaf1701, both the Jehaovas Witnesses and the Mormons (Err sorry, Church of the Latter Day Saints) have the "God's will" approach to healthcare. They reject anything modern, but particularly anything to save lives (blood transfusions/cancer treatment, etc). Rather than take themselves to hospital, they'd rather deal with it themselves, and let God decide his fate.

That was a bit strong what they said about you. If you didn't say anything about them, I think they said it because they think you should let nature/God take its cause and let you die.

This is the extreme view though. All the major religions embrace new technology and healthcare techniques. Even Islamic clerics in the middle have been known to use the Internet to help reach their congregation better.

MetaWraith
25-06-2004, 00:10
If there is a supreme being (GOD) or a whole Pantheon of GODS, then aren't all religions but aspects of a single greater religion ?

Is so why the feck can't they get along or at least tolerate others.

bbwannabe
25-06-2004, 00:11
i dont mean to be dumb, honest... but whats a jehovah witness? (thats a serious question)

Nikko
25-06-2004, 00:15
i dont mean to be dumb, honest... but whats a jehovah witness? (thats a serious question)

Don't worry you are not missing anything

MetaWraith
25-06-2004, 00:17
http://www.carm.org/witnesses.htm

http://www.watchtower.org/

bbwannabe
25-06-2004, 00:24
http://www.carm.org/jw/nutshell.htm

OMG thats a nutshell.

Thanks for the link...but any shorter definition.

scrotnig
25-06-2004, 00:25
Jehova's Witnesses hold an annual conference every year, often at places like Twickenham Rugby ground. 20,000 of them on average attend these.

I'm frankly amazed that the people on the doors let them in, I'd have thought they'd be a bit reluctant really.

In more recent years, automated turnstiles have been programmed with a series of random phrases such as 'not today thanks I'm busy', or 'sorry I'm in the middle of making the tea'.

danielf
25-06-2004, 00:25

Don't you have a door? If you've got one, chances are they've knocked on it to try and sell 'the message' at very inconvenient times...

Tezcatlipoca
25-06-2004, 00:29
Last time I wanted some J.W's to leave I got up and said "Sorry we'll have to cut this short as I have an appointment to donate blood, maybe we can continue another time". Never had another visit since.

Good tactic ;)

I've never had any Jehova's Witnesses call at my house, although....

This reminds me of something from my childhood...

The last time any Jehova's Witnesses ever called round my parents' house was over 20 years ago

...I was a toddler & my little brother was just a baby...

...Mum answered the door, with my brother in her arms....

...the Jehova's Witnesses started their spiel, & my brother proceeded to puke on them...

...none have ever come back

Russ
25-06-2004, 00:29
If there is a supreme being (GOD) or a whole Pantheon of GODS, then aren't all religions but aspects of a single greater religion ?

No

Is so why the feck can't they get along or at least tolerate others.

Most of us do.

In more recent years, automated turnstiles have been programmed with a series of random phrases such as 'not today thanks I'm busy', or 'sorry I'm in the middle of making the tea'.

Usually that's all it takes. No need to be rude to them, they're not deliberately trying to annoy you, as soon as they see you're not interested they should move on.

bbwannabe
25-06-2004, 00:33
Don't you have a door? If you've got one, chances are they've knocked on it to try and sell 'the message' at very inconvenient times...
only door i live at is to a shop (i live above it). Sorry we don't buy we sell :)

Dave Stones
25-06-2004, 00:34
our house is in their black book of evil people :D:devil:

Nikko
25-06-2004, 00:34
Jehova's Witnesses hold an annual conference every year, often at places like Twickenham Rugby ground. 20,000 of them on average attend these.

I'm frankly amazed that the people on the doors let them in, I'd have thought they'd be a bit reluctant really.

Perhaps I should consider a move to Twickenham. Only 19,387 of them knocked on my door last year, clearly I am in the wrong area.

danielf
25-06-2004, 00:35
only door i live at is to a shop (i live above it). Sorry we don't buy we sell :)

That's you 'saved' then :)

Russ
25-06-2004, 00:35
You should try what I used to do - I printed a sticky label to go on my letterbox saying "no religious material" - each time they'd pull up in my street they'd happily walk straight past my door.

bbwannabe
25-06-2004, 00:45
That's you 'saved' then :)
:erm: that a good saved or a "good" saved...

ive heard they were people who believed in the coming of the end... is that false or true?

MetaWraith
25-06-2004, 00:45
OMG thats a nutshell.
Thanks for the link...but any shorter definition.
When you've researched enough for yourself, you'll be able to come up with one, but I for one wont put words in your mouth.

...the Jehova's Witnesses started their spiel, & my brother proceeded to puke on them...

...none have ever come back
An equally good tactic ;)

Russ
25-06-2004, 00:46
Some members of the JWs have predicted the end of the world about 17 times in the last centuary. Apparently they've stopped doing it now for some reason.....

See http://www.religioustolerance.org/witness8.htm for some ideas.

alanf617
25-06-2004, 00:47
There's nothing wrong with Religion, but they DO tend to try and ram it down your throat.

My wife just says " I'm sorry, I don't buy religion at the door" and politely closes it. They usually take the hint, so they are better than double glazing salesmen. Sorry if anyone on this forum sells double glazing, I didn't mean YOU.

Russ
25-06-2004, 00:48
There's nothing wrong with Religion, but they DO tend to try and ram it down your throat.

Are you talking about religion in general or just the JWs?

punky
25-06-2004, 00:50
:erm: that a good saved or a "good" saved...

ive heard they were people who believed in the coming of the end... is that false or true?

Well everyone believes it will happen one way or another. If you believe the Daily Mail and the Bible Code it will end in 2006. Some other scientists say it is in the 2010s sometime (asteroid). Others say it end in something like 300 million years when the sun expires, becomes a white dwarf and expands drstroying our solar system. More realistic people think it will be in 50-100 years due to global warming and our energy policies.

It will happen, just noone knows when. Although if we survive til the sun dies i'm pretty sure we would be able to move somewhere out of the way. We can't cheat it forever though. Species come, and they go. It is nature's way try as we might to change that fact.

alanf617
25-06-2004, 00:53
Are you talking about religion in general or just the JWs?
There's nothing wrong with religion in general, but the JW's need a new marketing policy, I don't want strangers knocking on my door trying to sell their religion.

The alternative approach, I suppose, would be to express an interest and ask for their home address so you can come and chat to them about it another time....

Russ
25-06-2004, 00:54
I don't see any point in trying to predict it - when it happens, it's going to happen and nothing we can do will stop it.

bbwannabe
25-06-2004, 00:56
is it me or can no-one give a definite straight answer these days?

my mum and lil bro do it. I ask them a question (hypothetical) and give them two choices, and they always avoid it but going on about something else. loll.

Russ
25-06-2004, 00:57
What's the question???

dilli-theclaw
25-06-2004, 00:57
There are quite a few 'sects' of the JWs - it's not always possible to be sure who you're dealing with. Give me half an hour and I'll be home and I'll tell you more then.

dilli-theclaw
25-06-2004, 00:58
Well from a personal perspective to myself.

I have a cousin and cousin in law who are "practising" Jehovah Witnessess and my partner Julie is also diabetic and insulin dependant and never have I known them to express any issues with about this with us.

It is possible though they are just being polite to myself and Julies as they do live 200 miles away and we only see each other a couple of times per year for family get togethers etc. but on every occasion they have been aware of the fact that Julie is insulin dependant etc and never have either of them expressed any issues or concerns with this.

I know they have strong feelings on blood transfusions etc., and at Xmas time me and Julie can only give gifts to their children if they are wrapped up in plain brown paper as they do not celebrate Xmas etc and they even take their children out of school at this time to avoid any celebrations etc.

But the insulin/diabetic issue is a new one on me.

My cousins who are Jehovas Witnesses are currently away at the moment so I cannot phone to tactfully ask but I also work with someone who is and if I get chance and he is in work tomorrow then I will tactfully ask him tomorrow and post back with any information I find.

:D
Thank you :)

dilli-theclaw
25-06-2004, 00:59
...And thanks to everyone else who has commented - I've read all of them and taken them in. Thanks for your time.

danielf
25-06-2004, 01:01
<snip>
The alternative approach, I suppose, would be to express an interest and ask for their home address so you can come and chat to them about it another time....

I like that thought!!!!! I will be skipping 'no I'm not interested' for 'could I have your home address' from now on...

MetaWraith
The thing about religion is it's not as if you can go to your nearest white goods/electrical/hifi store and compare spec sheets / discounts / trade-ins etc.

Even in schools that teach Religious Education, I think (and this is just my opinion) that there will undoubtedly be a bias in approach, even if several religions are sampled.

The best we can hope for is religous tolerance amongst our family, friends, colleagues and neighbours. Hopefully life will eventually teach enough people that.

bbwannabe
What's the question???
shoot... i forgot to add to the previous post:
I dont expect an answer to these.. (as in i hope i do but i know i wont get a straight one lol):D cheeky.

Russ
25-06-2004, 01:03
The thing about religion is it's not as if you can go to your nearest white goods/electrical/hifi store and compare spec sheets / discounts / trade-ins etc.

Even in schools that teach Religious Education, I think (and this is just my opinion) that there will undoubtedly be a bias in approach, even if several religions are sampled.

The best we can hope for is religous tolerance amongst our family, friends, colleagues and neighbours. Hopefully life will eventually teach enough people that.

I'd say it's a case of just finding out for yourself what 'fits'. Some poeple feel you will need a little encouragement in certain areas - me, I just prefer to let you find out at your own speed :D

But your last statement hits the nail right on the head :)

ZrByte
25-06-2004, 01:54
What's the question???

Who are you?

sorry, just been watching Babylon 5, still on Kosh mode :)

Maggy
25-06-2004, 07:46
Treat JW's and Latter Day Saints as salespeople.I never buy at the door so why treat any religious representative any differently.

NEVER,NEVER,NEVER accept any literature from JW's because they are such a mean bunch they will come back to collect it...No seriously they use it as an excuse to keep coming back and pestering you.

They are just about as bad as the reps from the power companies for persistance :rolleyes:

Incog.

dilli-theclaw
25-06-2004, 08:24
Treat JW's and Latter Day Saints as salespeople.I never buy at the door so why treat any religious representative any differently.

NEVER,NEVER,NEVER accept any literature from JW's because they are such a mean bunch they will come back to collect it...No seriously they use it as an excuse to keep coming back and pestering you.

They are just about as bad as the reps from the power companies for persistance :rolleyes:

Incog.
Ah yes - power companies....

'Didn't you come last week?'
'Yes'
'I told you then I wasn't interested'
'We are just seeing if you've changed your mind'

Git's - usually show up just after little'un has gone to bed - ring the doorbell and wake him up too.

orangebird
25-06-2004, 09:32
Now - as some of you may know from my postings I normally TRY to avoid religion in my posts, But I have a question which someone on here may know the answer to.

A couple of years ago I allowed some Jehovas Witnesses in to have a discussion. Anyway to cut a very long story short I had to ask them to leave in the end as they started saying I should be dead and am an abomination... Amongst other things (they got VERY vocal before they left).

Is this a standard reply/action that I should meet when meeting someone from this faith (which to be honest I've avoided doing since as it upset me quite a bit then and now) - and if it IS normal for that fait what do THEY do if someone of their faith needs insulin?

If this is not normal then fine it must just be the local members that are/were doing it. I'd just like to know what I did that upset them so much.

I'm NOT trying to start an argument over the religion - just find out some answers.

Cheers in advance.

They're all like it - screwed in the head IMO. They bully, frighten and despise their own, let alone anyone outside the 'group'. They also put 'Jehovah' before their own children....sick, twisted people IMO.

Jon M
25-06-2004, 09:33
<slightly off topic>

Last time JW's came to my parents house, they chose Haloween (sp?) of all evenings to do it.

I was about 13-14 at the time, and had been waiting all evening for trick-or-treaters to turn up because I had prepared a nice bucket of ice-cold water ready to throw over them from the bathroom window which overlooked the front door. (yes, I know thats a bit harsh/irresponsible.. but I've grown up a little bit since then)

Needless to say, the obvious happened.. and the JW's didn't end up having their usual long debate with my Dad ;)

Bex
25-06-2004, 09:44
one of my close friends at school was a JW. she had been bought up that way by her folks but her beliefs became a bit shaken when she had to watch her gran die.. her gran needed a blood transfusion and it's against their beliefs.

after that i had a discussion with one of the RE teachers to find out what the JW religion was all about...merely so i could understand my friend better. in a nutshell he said that they believe that God gave them their bodies and therefore they should not change anything in or about it in a medical way. i.e no cosmetic surgery, no blood transfusions. with the blood i think they felt that the blood of someone else wasn't clean but i might be making that bit up. :erm:
unlike Chrisitans they believe that jehova is still to come (Chrisitians believe that Jesus fulfilled this prophesy {as prophisised in the old testement})

the few times that we have had JW's come to the door, i've had a lively debate with them. offering them my bible to take and read.
dad also encountered them walking down the road and they walked after him preaching their views, eventually dad turned round and started preaching the gospels to them and they ran off. seems we are on the miss list now, because they haven't come knocking since.

we have a JW church in the village

edit: can't spell for toffee today

Xaccers
25-06-2004, 10:24
The blood issue is because they believe the bible tells us we should only use blood in sacrifice, nothing to do with it being unclean or anything like that, they just believe god has given one purpose for it outside the body.

There are many confused and gullible people in the JW's, I've met several.
You get people bringing their own interpritation into the religion, hence the disgust at you using insulin, while other's would be fine with it.
There literature prints lies and physical impossibilities to justify some of their beliefs (like claiming the thermosphere is 3000F!)

Most that I have met joined simply because they like the idea of coming back with a perfect body, so you get a lot of couples who are infertile, and disabled people joining.

I find shouting "I'm naked and in a highly excited state. I'm opening the door in 3....2...." usually works :D

They don't have churches, they have "kingdom halls"

They're also quite good at excommunicating people, including their children.

Bex
25-06-2004, 10:44
The blood issue is because they believe the bible tells us we should only use blood in sacrifice, nothing to do with it being unclean or anything like that, they just believe god has given one purpose for it outside the body.
(like claiming the thermosphere is 3000F!)
told you i was 100% sure on the blood thing.... it has been a while since i had the discussion with the RE teacher... umm about 7years (scary)

as for the physical impossibilities, i do remember reading that somewhere

zoombini
25-06-2004, 10:54
AFAIK sticking an "I give blood" sticker in the window works well.

Xaccers
25-06-2004, 11:08
A girl I knew had underage premarital sex with the son of an elder.
She was excommunicated for a year when she confessed.
He didn't confess so went unpunished.

According to them the end has to happen before the last soldier from WW1 dies.
Oh and god doesn't like men to have long hair, and discword books can let the devil into your house and break your family up.
They mainly concentrate on revelations because the idea of a perfect world with perfect bodies appeals to them

bbwannabe
25-06-2004, 11:15
after that i had a discussion with one of the RE teachers to find out what the JW religion was all about...merely so i could understand my friend better. in a nutshell he said that they believe that God gave them their bodies and therefore they should not change anything in or about it in a medical way. i.e no cosmetic surgery, no blood transfusions. with the blood i think they felt that the blood of someone else wasn't clean but i might be making that bit up. :erm:
unlike Chrisitans they believe that jehova is still to come (Chrisitians believe that Jesus fulfilled this prophesy {as prophisised in the old testement})

i can understand their views.. but what i can't understand is why they try and sell it. I'm not religious (but i believe in the spiritual) in the slightest but ive never been fond of people who force others into their beliefs or to do things they dont want. Thanks for the nutshell.
Whose jehova?

Bex
25-06-2004, 11:17
AFAIK sticking an "I give blood" sticker in the window works well.or will just give them more cause to come knocking to teach you the "truth" about giving blood

bbwannabe i sent you a pm

tkiely
25-06-2004, 11:28
i can understand their views.. but what i can't understand is why they try and sell it.

I think it's one of their 'duties', ie part of being a JW is spreading the word.

Bex
25-06-2004, 11:29
looked up jehovah for you:
the special and significant name (not merely an appellative title such as Lord
[adonai]) by which God revealed himself to the ancient Hebrews (Ex. 6:2, 3).

Xaccers
25-06-2004, 11:36
Its called "pioneering" to go round evangelising.
I got the impression that some believed you got into the new order by recruiting the most people.

Jehovah is a mistranslation of god's name yaweh (or however you spell it, why can't he have picked Bob or Cliff? Wait a minute...)

bbwannabe
25-06-2004, 11:38
so they believe god is still to come? Religionwise when did he leave?

Bex
25-06-2004, 11:42
here's a link http://www.meta-religion.com/World_Religions/Christianity/Denominations/jehova_witnesses.htm

it tells you the basics about J.W's

zoombini
25-06-2004, 11:44
My son is just waiting for more to knock, he wants to have a chat with them about the devil etc.

The things that 14yr olds get thier kicks from :D

Xaccers
25-06-2004, 12:03
My son is just waiting for more to knock, he wants to have a chat with them about the devil etc.

The things that 14yr olds get thier kicks from :D

Just get him to point out the similarities between their god's plan and hitlers plan

bigitup_j
25-06-2004, 12:52
i'll give you some info, and set the record straight and remove any misunderstandings about Jehovah's Witnesses and their beliefs.
give me a while, i'll try and go over the points mentioned... :)

Escapee
25-06-2004, 12:57

Cheers in advance.

I have probably mentioned this before in one of the "Religion" threads.

I have a relative who used to be a JW, she didn't believe in most forms of medication or blood transfusion etc, she criticised anyone who had received this sort of treatment and said they should stick to natural methods.

Until her daughter was seriously ill and needed treatment. (I think it was a blood transfusion) She then left the JW's because it suited her to change her views to save her daughters life, and to think of all tose hypocritical years when she was preaching her rubbish to others.

I find JW's, Mormons and all those other wierd sects are nothing more than a nuisance and timewasters when they knock my door. They will not take a subtle hint that you are not interested and I have resorted to being very rude on a few occassions to get rid of them. I honestly think they are brainwashed as they have no personal opinion of their own.

Note: I do not criticise people who believe in religion in general, it's just the wierd ones. We have a guy in work who is a JW and he is the most pig ignorant unhelpful person I have ever come across. Funny though he is always preaching about helping your neighbour and how we should assist deprived people in other countries!

Xaccers
25-06-2004, 13:15
One of the things of the evangelising is that they feel they are saving you.
Now if someone was hanging off a cliff, would you listen to them if they said they didn't want you to save them, or would you keep on trying to pull them up?

Damien
25-06-2004, 13:28
One of the things of the evangelising is that they feel they are saving you.
Now if someone was hanging off a cliff, would you listen to them if they said they didn't want you to save them, or would you keep on trying to pull them up?

Thats a bit extreme,

bigitup_j
25-06-2004, 13:32
hitler killed thousands of jehovahs witnesses!
hitler was evil - god is not evil!

bigitup_j
25-06-2004, 13:43
Here you go:

well i know a few things about this topic...
1. Jehovah is God's name, just that Christianity want to get rid of it because, well no reason really...they just do. Jehovah is within the Dead Sea scrolls, therefore that IS God's name - the Christian God.
2. In hebrew, they have no vowels and some letters can be one of two in english. y and j are the same in hebrew. jehovah has been widely accepted in english as how to translate God's name from Hebrew into English.
3. Jehovah's Witnesses (JWs) do not take blood because it is a direct comment from God, not to take blood. either eating or transfusing. JW's follow God's law and commands set in the Bible. But other treatments, not involving blood are accepted. In fact, JW's have pushed for alternatives from blood transfusions, which have proved far more successful that blood transfusions †“ which has many risks!
4. There are no sects of Jehovahââ‚à ‚¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢s witness, only one. You either are a JW or not, simple.
5. JW preach to people, because Jesus said to do that when he was on earth. Christians are meant to imitate Jesus, and Jesus preached about Godââ‚Âà ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢s kingdom and the hope for the future †“ so JWs do the same. JWs donââ‚Âà ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢t force things down your throat, they visit again and again, because people do have a change of heart and listen to their message.
6. No body knows when the world will end. Only God.
7. Only 144,000 people go to heaven. Others have the hope of living on a paradise earth in the future, where you wonââ‚Âà ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢t be sick, and you will never die, because humans will be made perfect again †“ when God removes all wickedness.

Of course many people do not want to listen, for whatever reason, and that is fair enough. JWs only follow what the Bible says, and try to imitate Jesus.

please, ask more questions - i'll be happy to answer them for you :)

bbwannabe
25-06-2004, 13:52
Here you go:

1. Jehovah is God's name, just that Christianity want to get rid of it because, well no reason really...they just do. Jehovah is within the Dead Sea scrolls, therefore that IS God's name - the Christian God.
2. In hebrew, they have no vowels and some letters can be one of two in english. y and j are the same in hebrew. jehovah has been widely accepted in english as how to translate God's name from Hebrew into English.
3. Jehovah's Witnesses (JWs) do not take blood because it is a direct comment from God, not to take blood. either eating or transfusing. JW's follow God's law and commands set in the Bible. But other treatments, not involving blood are accepted. In fact, JW's have pushed for alternatives from blood transfusions, which have proved far more successful that blood transfusions †“ which has many risks!
4. There are no sects of Jehovahââ‚à ‚¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢s witness, only one. You either are a JW or not, simple.
5. JW preach to people, because Jesus said to do that when he was on earth. Christians are meant to imitate Jesus, and Jesus preached about Godââ‚Âà ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢s kingdom and the hope for the future †“ so JWs do the same. JWs donââ‚Âà ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢t force things down your throat, they visit again and again, because people do have a change of heart and listen to their message.
7. Only 144,000 people go to heaven. Others have the hope of living on a paradise earth in the future, where you wonââ‚Âà ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢t be sick, and you will never die, because humans will be made perfect again †“ when God removes all wickedness.

Of course many people do not want to listen, for whatever reason, and that is fair enough. JWs only follow what the Bible says, and try to imitate Jesus.

wow big summary lol. Isn't there a commandment in New Testament to treat others as you would like to be treated (might be just a common saying i can't rmemeber). Would JWs appreciate us preaching to them instead of the other way around.

zoombini
25-06-2004, 13:54
We get to give blood & have operations etc.

Bex
25-06-2004, 14:01
Here you go:

1 and 2. yep i agree
3. where in the bible is this direct command?
4. so your telling me their is no variety on the interpretation which leads to people seeing things in slightly different ways?
5. i grant you that Jesus preached and some religions think we should be more christ-like. but at the same time if people have showed they have other religious convictions or simply dont want to listen, turning up again and again can have a negative effect.
6. granted
7. wheres the evidence for this?

bbwannabe
25-06-2004, 14:06
IMO no matter how clear you make a message, someone else somewhere sometime will misinterpretate it or interpretate it different. Anyone who reads the bible can potentially interpretate it in many ways.

bigitup_j
25-06-2004, 14:08
i'll get back to you on points raised. asap

:)

dilli-theclaw
25-06-2004, 14:10
Here you go:

So what about the people in my particular case? - I never 'took' any blood - just insulin. Is/was it just these people who were wrong? - not the religion?

ZrByte
25-06-2004, 14:52
3. where in the bible is this direct command?

Its in Ant & Dec III - "And God said thout shall not visit your local A&E for a Transfusion, and all will be well."

Its somehwere near the back of the book trust me ;)

Mal
25-06-2004, 15:10
Just get him to point out the similarities between their god's plan and hitlers plan
:confused: Can you explain that please?

CaKe
25-06-2004, 15:12

I was told once that all you had to do to stop them visiting was tell them politely, and they'd not come back.

As for politely not forcing things down your throat - tell that to the group of 3 that knocked on my door. I opened it, said politely that I wasn't interested, and that I was very busy. They then informed me that they were "saving me from evil" and that I "should make time" for them. After I informed them of my beliefs, and mentioned a few well-known points of theirs, they told me that I was evil. My red hair was a sign of the devil. They must come in and rescue me. Again, declining politely, telling them they'd upset me, and would they mind leaving me to it if I was that evil, one of the men put his foot in my door so I couldn't shut it. After asking him to remove it, and themselves, from my doorstep, the woman leaned forward, put her hands on my shoulders and started blessing me. I stamped on the guy's foot, told him in no uncertain terms to f-off, and called the police.

Funny, but they never came back to my door ;) Just as well, because I'm not sure I'd want to be part of any religion that tried to force their way into an 18 year olds house.

The "problem" with the Bible, is that it can be interpreted in so many different ways. What one person reads into a sentence won't be the same as someone else reading the same one. I don't think Jehovah's Witnesses are wrong for believing what they do, it's their choice and who am I to judge. They just need to learn to "recruit"* properly.

*not meaning to offend anyone, just can't think of another way of saying it!

bigitup_j
25-06-2004, 15:23
Jehovah's Witnesses never force things down your throat.
if you've had an experience where that is the case, then i very much doubt they were JWs. it's not something we do - we are not rude, and if people really do not want to listen, then we leave.
btw. we do not recuit (spelling?), we convey a message and if people like the message, then they can have a free Bible study and possibly become Jehovah's Witnesses.

but, we don't force beliefs onto people. we have a message and want to tell it to everyone, because we believe it and the message is good and we want to share it with everyone! :)

bigitup_j
25-06-2004, 15:24
So what about the people in my particular case? - I never 'took' any blood - just insulin. Is/was it just these people who were wrong? - not the religion?
not the religion. nothing wrong with insulin. blood is a no-no for JWs :)

bigitup_j
25-06-2004, 15:27

We have several of these conventions during the year. Over 150,000 attended them last year around Britain, which was great. :)

Twickenham has got one again this year, on the 6-8 August - all those who are interested are welcome. it's completely free of charge. :)

bbwannabe
25-06-2004, 15:33
are you a JW? :)

bigitup_j
25-06-2004, 15:34
yes :)

bbwannabe
25-06-2004, 15:36
you raised as a JW or were you changed to a JW because of something in your life...

bigitup_j
25-06-2004, 15:39
i was raised as a Jehovah's Witness, and strongly believe that it is the truth (otherwise i wouldn't be one!)

Bex
25-06-2004, 15:46
cake's account is disturbing, but i don't agree with you bigitup_j it could well have been JW's...... maybe cake just happened to come across an over zealous couple of people, which happens in all religious groups. you can not say that all JW's will act the same way, as i wouldn't say that all Christians act the same way. to a certain degree i think even within a group people's interpretations will differ even a little bit. of the christians i know on this site, for example, i know that some of their views do differ slightly, and this is to be expected. our experiences of the world are different and to some degree our experiences of God are different.

bbwannabe
25-06-2004, 15:51
theres the casual believer and theres always a few people who are extremists in their beliefs.
@bigitup_j (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/member.php?u=73) vbmenu_register("postmenu_242754", true);
In the previous posts theres been mention of people who are JWs opposed to transfusions.. Should you or friends and family require it, are you gonna remain firm on your beliefs?..

dilli-theclaw
25-06-2004, 16:04
not the religion. nothing wrong with insulin. blood is a no-no for JWs :)
Thank you - it's nice to get a reply straight from the horses mouth as it were. :)

Maggy
25-06-2004, 16:05
Look my experience with JW is NOT TO ENGAGE THEM IN ANY DISCUSSION WHAT SO EVER.To do so is to encourage them to keep coming back.Take nothing from them,don't let them in and refuse point blank to even tell them your religious beliefs.To do so is an invite to engage you in a dialogue.You cannot change their minds,they are relentless so you have to give them no lever to invade your life.

Just like door to door salesmen. ;)

Incog.

Chris
25-06-2004, 16:13
Here you go:

1. Christianity wants to do no such thing! There are any number of Christian hymns and songs that use the name of God (Guide me, o thou great Jehovah being perhaps the most famous). But in the same way as I rarely call my earthly father by his name, I normally prefer to use a title of respect when talking about my heavenly father.
2. Quite true. Yahweh is currently en vogue but either is fine in my book.
3. This is a ceremonial law from the old testament, and there is no obvious reason why JWs should take this one and hold to it religiously while completely ignoring a whole tranche of other old testament laws. Tell me, do you demolish your houses if they develop incurable 'leprous' mould on the walls? No, of course you don't. The correct use of the old testament is vai the revelation of the new. But seeing as JWs deny whole chunks of the new testament, it's hardly surprising they miss that point.
4. I can't comment on this.
5. As a Christian, I've done door-to-door work myself, and have had a number of good conversations with people.
6. And Charles Taze Russell, who did predict it would all be over by the end of 1914, despite later attempts by the Watchtower society to rewrite chunks of his Studies in the Scriptures and reinterpret others. The Biblical test of a false prophet: If what he says will happen, doesn't happen - then he's a fraud.
7. A bizarre misquoting of a random passage in the book of Revelation.

zoombini
25-06-2004, 16:55
Hmm, can I slam the door in your faces now please?
I want to get back to eating my tea..

Escapee
25-06-2004, 16:55
Jehovah's Witnesses never force things down your throat.
if you've had an experience where that is the case, then i very much doubt they were JWs. it's not something we do - we are not rude, and if people really do not want to listen, then we leave.
btw. we do not recuit (spelling?), we convey a message and if people like the message, then they can have a free Bible study and possibly become Jehovah's Witnesses.

but, we don't force beliefs onto people. we have a message and want to tell it to everyone, because we believe it and the message is good and we want to share it with everyone! :)

You may not personally force things down peoples throats, but their are jehovah members who do!

I now have no problem at all with JW, Mormons, hari krisnas or whatever they are called! Too often I have been balancing some plasterboard or in the middle of painting or mixing cement and been interrupted by some "Door to door God salesman" I would love a list of their addresses so I could start my on religion and knock on their doors when they are trying to eat their food etc.

I must admit that I find the Mormons the most annoying, they are very clever by trying to be so polite. They are salesmen full stop they could sell sand to the Arabs!

CaKe mentioned about Red hair being a sign of the devil, I know people who believe in Voodoo and they have red hair always wear an item of red clothing and wear their underpants/knickers inside-out to protect them from Voodoo spells. I guess their belief about red is a total contradiction to the religious sect that CaKe mentioned in a previous thread.

Theodoric
25-06-2004, 17:05
Look my experience with JW is NOT TO ENGAGE THEM IN ANY DISCUSSION WHAT SO EVER.
<Snip>
Incog.
And this is the first, second and every other number law of dealing with people calling at the door and trying to sell you something. Give yourself a few seconds to make sure that you're not speaking to to some long-lost relative then immediately and without hesitation (and totally ignoring anything that they start to say) say the magic words, "Sorry, but I'm not interested." There's no need to be rude, just firm and totally centred on not letting them get a foot in the door. You then immediately close (not by slamming - again, no need to be impolite) the door.

Damien
25-06-2004, 17:11
My dad told me about when his dad died, he rushed back from scotland (didnt get there in time though) and when he was there about 10 minutes later a JW knocked on the door and said "have you heard the good news!" obviously the JW didnt know and my dad see the funny side.

Actually this doesnt have much to do with anything :) why did i poset this?

punky
25-06-2004, 17:33
My dad told me about when his dad died, he rushed back from scotland (didnt get there in time though) and when he was there about 10 minutes later a JW knocked on the door and said "have you heard the good news!" obviously the JW didnt know and my dad see the funny side.

Actually this doesnt have much to do with anything :) why did i poset this?

Thanx for sharing that, might be a bit of a morbid topic/joke, but your dad made me smile. I just hope it take it as well when my dad shuffles off this mortal coil.

Russ
25-06-2004, 17:34
Bah! Towny beat me to the reply of bigitup_j's innacuracies!!

I enjoy it when the JW's call around - I even invite them in. They are usually happy to discuss the bible with someone who has an apparent knowledge of it but they usually make their excuses and leave when I mention I'm a born-again Christian - they know they won't get anywhere with me but the discussions we have are entertaining :D

Damien
25-06-2004, 17:54
Thanx for sharing that, might be a bit of a morbid topic/joke, but your dad made me smile. I just hope it take it as well when my dad shuffles off this mortal coil.

Well this was years and years ago, I doubt he found it funny at the time

Graham
25-06-2004, 18:47
Bah! Towny beat me to the reply of bigitup_j's innacuracies!!

Not "differences of opinion'"...?! :angel:

Russ
25-06-2004, 18:49
Nope :)

Chris
25-06-2004, 21:25
Not "differences of opinion'"...?! :angel:
You know we only make exclusive truth claims to wind you up ;) :D

Nidge
26-06-2004, 12:08
On my door I have the following.

We do not require religious advice.
We do not require new windows
We do not require Electric or Gas
We do not require new Sofit or facias.

I can sit in peace when Coronation Streets on :D :D :D :D

Xaccers
05-07-2004, 20:56
hitler killed thousands of jehovahs witnesses!
hitler was evil - god is not evil!

And according to you god will kill thousands and thousands of non-jw's.
So, explain to me why hitler is evil for killing thousands, but god is not?
Is it specifically for killing jw's?
Would he not be evil if he spared them?

dilli-theclaw
05-07-2004, 21:00
I've had my original question answered brilliantly - can a mod now please close this thread - cheers - Dilligaf.

Russ
05-07-2004, 21:52
As requested.