PDA

View Full Version : mac address

Edolan
24-06-2004, 17:31
Hi I am having problems with intermittant conn loss , lost packets etc.
Tech support suggested it could be a modem problem but decided not to bother sending the engineer round that they promised :mad:
A friend of mine has given me a NTL modem to try, so I plugged it all in but couldnt connect to the net etc.... Is this to do with the mac addres or something else?
Any ideas, anything i can do?
Thanks in advance for any help :D

JonathanLH
24-06-2004, 17:53
call ntl and ask for the mac address on your account to be changed to your new one, they may do this for you.
but saying that, if your friend just gave you an ntl cable modem, where did he get it from, since if his works, then assuming you are in the same area, yours should just work too with an ip refresh.

Edolan
24-06-2004, 18:00
he was with NTL then moved away, they said they didnt bother to recover them, so thought i would try it.
So you reckon i should be ok with just a ip refresh ?
Or who would i ring ? tech support ?

JonathanLH
24-06-2004, 18:15
if he cancelled his ntl broadband, then the mac address of the cable modem will have been removed from the dhcp server which is why you can't connect with it.
tech support, (maybe some helpful tech on here) should be able to sort this for you easily. although i'm not sure if they actually will do it, but the theory is sound.

Edolan
24-06-2004, 18:28
Thanks Jonathan :)
Waits patiently for a nice Tech support person to pass by.