PDA

View Full Version : [MERGED] Big Brother on Broadband Plus

scrotnig
16-06-2004, 02:00
Can anyone else actually get this to work?

The Broadband Plus console has a huge Big Brother banner at the top, but when you click it, Real player opens and displays the following message:

For security reasons we need to make sure you are a Broadband Plus user before allowing access to the Big Brother live feed.

Please visit the Broadband Plus website if you would like to access Big Brother.

Anyone with Broadband Plus able to replicate this or is it just mine?

Chris W
16-06-2004, 02:31
I am just redirected to here:

http://uk.real.com/partners/channel4/?x=y&pid=eu_c4&src=default&pcode=ch4&cpath=CNT&lpage=2

can you pm me some account details and i will make sure this has been escalated when i go to work tomorrow.

MB

Jonathan David
16-06-2004, 06:43
Is your firewall on? Does it allow your web browser to refer? When I had Broadband plus at the very begining, i needed to tell my firewall (Norton) to send this information out.
If i didn't send this info out then i wasn't able to access any of the broadband plus sites.
Just a thought anyway :)

Randomly
16-06-2004, 15:36
I'm having exactly the same problem.. i've tried with the firewall disabled, but sill getting the same error message. All the other content works fine

iadom
16-06-2004, 16:05
As far as I am aware, I am still on my last months free trial, however if I try to access BB Plus I get to the grey page with the message "Broadband plus has launched", and click on the logo, nothing happens. It has been like this for days, surely if my free subscription had expired I would get some sort of message telling me?

scrotnig
16-06-2004, 16:15
Same for me, it's not the Firewall as all the other content is fine. Tried turning the firewall off but still no joy.

I'm off the free trial and paying for it now.

iadom
16-06-2004, 16:20
Just tried again, left the grey screen on for a while, then went back to Ntlworld homepage and re clicked on a few BB Plus links and managed to get them to work. Also got a message saying that pop up blockers could cause problems so have edited ZA Pro.Still get redirected to the same link as MB when trying the Big Brother link.

saxo_vtr_paul
16-06-2004, 16:55
I get this screen which is the same for most people I think.

Chrysalis
17-06-2004, 05:19
why do so many commercial sites use real player for streaming, its inefficient and bloaty :(

Chris W
17-06-2004, 12:45
This matter has now been escalated to the appropriate people for investigation... i will update you when there is more information available.

MB

djcammy
18-06-2004, 10:15
I signed up for the month's free trial and BB seems to be working fine (most of the time). The problem is that I signed up on my desktop, working on the assumption I'd be designated a user/password so I could also use it on my laptop. But as it's obviously done by cookies I can't get it to transfer across! Anyone got any ideas if there's a way to do this?

Also, for anyone who's actually paying to use Broadband Plus (I'm assuming there must be one or two people somewhere!) do NTL use a user/password system, so that you can use it on multiple computers if you want to?

scrotnig
18-06-2004, 10:32
I signed up for the month's free trial and BB seems to be working fine (most of the time). The problem is that I signed up on my desktop, working on the assumption I'd be designated a user/password so I could also use it on my laptop. But as it's obviously done by cookies I can't get it to transfer across! Anyone got any ideas if there's a way to do this?

Also, for anyone who's actually paying to use Broadband Plus (I'm assuming there must be one or two people somewhere!) do NTL use a user/password system, so that you can use it on multiple computers if you want to?
I pay for it, but it works the same way, there's no username and password.

I seem to be one of those who actually thinks it's a decent service, it's almost worth it for Music Choice alone.

quadplay
18-06-2004, 11:57
Your BroadBand Plus registration is based on your Cable Modem's MAC address rather than your PC's, and I think it works the same way for STB customers.

djcammy
18-06-2004, 12:03
I pay for it, but it works the same way, there's no username and password.

That's interesting... what happens if you change your computer? How did you activate it in the first place? I looked around but couldn't find out whether NTL use IP or MAC address to work out who's signed up for it.

I seem to be one of those who actually thinks it's a decent service, it's almost worth it for Music Choice alone.

So far it does actually look quite good, still can't decide yet whether I'll subscribe or not yet.

djcammy
18-06-2004, 13:41
Your BroadBand Plus registration is based on your Cable Modem's MAC address rather than your PC's, and I think it works the same way for STB customers.

Thanks for that jimbo! How I managed to miss your post prior to posting mine I've no idea :rolleyes:

Anyway, if it uses the MAC address of the modem shouldn't it theoretically work on my laptop (which is wirelessly networked)? Some things on Broadband Plus do seem to be working, but I can't get Big Brother to work, as it's failing to authorise every time.

Any ideas?

quadplay
18-06-2004, 13:46
Yes, it should... :confused:

Try clearing temp files, history and cookies from Internet Options in the Tools menu of Internet Explorer, then reboot and log back into BB+ - if you haven't already, of course!

djcammy
19-06-2004, 10:16
Try clearing temp files, history and cookies from Internet Options in the Tools menu of Internet Explorer, then reboot and log back into BB+

I tried that and most of BB+ is working... with the exception of BigBro, which doesn't recognise me as a subscriber (on the laptop) and goes to the "redirecting" screen, suggesting that I subscribe.

Everything is still working on the desktop ok though :confused:

preacher
19-06-2004, 11:20
I do believe there is a system fault that is making it unavailable for some users. To check you may want to call Ntl Tech Support (0845 650 0121) but I am 99% sure this is the case :(

scrotnig
19-06-2004, 12:29
I am still getting the same problem, I think I'll formally report it on Monday when I'm next in.

The rest of Broadband Plus is working just fine.

jpa
20-06-2004, 16:14
I have just tried the Big Brother link on the front page of NTLWorld and the video is frame,gap,frame,gap etc. the audio is ok. I have a 600 connection but the videos on the vidzone are very jerky,I presume this is to only having 600 not a 1mb connection.Then again if NTL actually bothered to up the speed as they promised:LOL: then it might be ok.

jpa
22-06-2004, 21:51
I have been trying to watch Big Brother on Broadband Plus with my 600 connection. The sound is perfect but the picture is changing a frame every few seconds. If I try the narrowband stream ,then I can see the picture ,but the sound gets alot worse,like going from FM to MW radio.I presume this is all down to the bandwith and if I had a 1mb connection the stream would be alot better. NTL do not say on the page that the video stream will depend on what speed Broadband you have,or is this too much to ask.
Does anyone else have any ideas?

scrotnig
22-06-2004, 21:54
I have been trying to watch Big Brother on Broadband Plus with my 600 connection. The sound is perfect but the picture is changing a frame every few seconds. If I try the narrowband stream ,then I can see the picture ,but the sound gets alot worse,like going from FM to MW radio.I presume this is all down to the bandwith and if I had a 1mb connection the stream would be alot better. NTL do not say on the page that the video stream will depend on what speed Broadband you have,or is this too much to ask.
Does anyone else have any ideas?
I cannot even get it to work, it gives me a no permission error. I've given up with it.

jpa
22-06-2004, 22:02
Its odd that you cannot get BB on Broadband Plus,must be down to the NTL network area. I mistakenly thought that Manchester was one of NTL's favoured spots,obviously not. By the way it has got so bad ,that I have turned off. I will watch it later on E4.

Chris W
22-06-2004, 22:06
you might want to check the thread here:

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=13611

jpa
22-06-2004, 22:24
I have looked at the other thread and it seems that alot of people seem to have problems with Zone Alarm, this is one of the reasons why I changed to Sygate Personal Firewall. Ever since I have changed, I have had no problems. I wonder if this is the reason why I can now see video ok on Real Player?

Chris W
22-06-2004, 22:45
I have looked at the other thread and it seems that alot of people seem to have problems with Zone Alarm, this is one of the reasons why I changed to Sygate Personal Firewall. Ever since I have changed, I have had no problems. I wonder if this is the reason why I can now see video ok on Real Player?

It may well be... i don't understand why ntl recommend Zone Alarm instead or Sygate...? :shrug:

I have used both and sygate IMO was much more user friendly and unlike Zone Alarm caused me no problems.

MB

scrotnig
22-06-2004, 22:47
I have switched off Zone Alarm, but still nothing. There is something amiss somewhere, but I don't know what. The rest of Bplus is working fine and dandy.

Chris W
22-06-2004, 22:52
I have switched off Zone Alarm, but still nothing. There is something amiss somewhere, but I don't know what. The rest of Bplus is working fine and dandy.

You are having a different problem to jpa's... the issue you mentioned is known by ntl and being investigated by FMT (supposedly :rolleyes: ,)

MB

scrotnig
22-06-2004, 22:54
You are having a different problem to jpa's... the issue you mentioned is known by ntl and being investigated by FMT (supposedly :rolleyes:)

MBAh yes...sorry, I was just trying to deliberately inject confusion and general offtopicness to a perfectly sensible thread.

Chris W
22-06-2004, 22:55
Ah yes...sorry, I was just trying to deliberately inject confusion and general offtopicness to a perfectly sensible thread.

:LOL: good effort :tu:

saxo_vtr
23-06-2004, 14:29
There are a few services on bb plus that are jerky for me, for example vidzone videos are jerky when I play them and on the radio thing it starts and stops all the time, it looks like you do need 1mb for all the service to work 100 %.

It cant be my connection because I use other services like http://launch.yahoo.com/ (http://web.yoursearchfinder.com/apps/eps/eps.cgi?ps=IMUKUSER&bidpart=AJ&rank=1&query=launch&redir=http%3A%2F%2Ftm.wc.ask.com%2Fr%3Ft%3Dan%26s% 3Dnq%26uid%3D25005a0045005a004%26sid%3D35005a00450 05a004%26qid%3DA60F6158161BF547834F3E48F1A75599%26 io%3D0%26sv%3Dza5cb0de5%26o%3D0%26ask%3Dlaunch%26u ip%3D5005a004%26en%3Dte%26eo%3D-100%26pt%3DLaunch%26ac%3D24%26qs%3D0%26pg%3D1%26ep %3D1%26te_par%3D103%26te_id%3D%26u%3Dhttp%3A%2F%2F launch.yahoo.com%2F) and that seems to be fine for me.

saxo_vtr
23-06-2004, 22:09
oh and it certainly cant be my pc either!!

quadplay
23-06-2004, 22:17
Are you absolutely sure about that? Because that link you posted, to Yahoo! LAUNCH, appears to have been hijacked by some search site, and unless you copied the link from said search site, it seems possible there's spyware on your PC. I've certainly never seen that happen on this site before. I'd do a thorough search for spyware if I were you, using programs such as AdAware and SpyBot Search & Destroy (both available from www.tucows.net), as this could be causing slow browsing and jerky streaming video.

Rik
24-06-2004, 09:09
Any progress on this?

Seems im paying for Broadband Plus but not getting the service advertised :(

Im sure trading standards would have something to say about this :(

MikeyB
24-06-2004, 12:54
There are a few services on bb plus that are jerky for me, for example vidzone videos are jerky when I play them and on the radio thing it starts and stops all the time, it looks like you do need 1mb for all the service to work 100 %.

It cant be my connection because I use other services like http://launch.yahoo.com/ (http://web.yoursearchfinder.com/apps/eps/eps.cgi?ps=IMUKUSER&bidpart=AJ&rank=1&query=launch&redir=http%3A%2F%2Ftm.wc.ask.com%2Fr%3Ft%3Dan%26s% 3Dnq%26uid%3D25005a0045005a004%26sid%3D35005a00450 05a004%26qid%3DA60F6158161BF547834F3E48F1A75599%26 io%3D0%26sv%3Dza5cb0de5%26o%3D0%26ask%3Dlaunch%26u ip%3D5005a004%26en%3Dte%26eo%3D-100%26pt%3DLaunch%26ac%3D24%26qs%3D0%26pg%3D1%26ep %3D1%26te_par%3D103%26te_id%3D%26u%3Dhttp%3A%2F%2F launch.yahoo.com%2F) and that seems to be fine for me.
I've not been into bb plus for a little while now, my free trial expired!
But I'm on 600, and nothing was jerky at all for me, all the videos & radio streamed down to me nice & smothly, I was very impressed by the quality of some of them.
Still cant decide if I want to pay for it tho, hmmmmmmmmmm

Randomly
24-06-2004, 16:49
The helpful chappy from NTL Tech support told me set the following into the Proxy Server settings on the LAN settings (connections tab on internet options)

address: 62.252.32.7 port: 8080

and its working perfectly now :D

jellybaby
24-06-2004, 18:02
just changed my proxy settings and mine is working fine now too :)

Rik
27-06-2004, 07:38
Yay
Somethings been fixed as mine works fine as well here :)
Not jerky at all and Vidzone is lovely and smooth, might have something to do with 1Meg.

Worth every penny as far as im concerned just for the music sites :)