PDA

View Full Version : I'm moving my NTL TV to Sky+ ..here's what happend!

Caspar
22-06-2004, 14:01
ok, I plan to take the dive and give up NTL television for Sky plus :drool:

Tho, I want to keep my NTL broadband and telephone, I assume that's possible...the Sky guy said it would be.

£199 to buy the Sky plus box
Then £34.99 pm for the movies world package and family package (No sports)

Sounds bloody good if you ask me! ...but will NTL let me just cancel the television and has anyone done this without problems? :)

Neil
22-06-2004, 14:07

Tho, I want to keep my NTL broadband and telephone, I assume that's possible...the Sky guy said it would be.

Sounds bloody good if you ask me! ...but will NTL let me just cancel the television and has anyone done this without problems? :)

That's it, blame me....:rolleyes: ;)

You can have BB & phone from ntl with no problems.

I meg will be £37.99, & phone will be £9.50 (I think), + any 'talk' packages you may want.

SMHarman
22-06-2004, 14:09
That's it, blame me....:rolleyes: ;)

You can have BB & phone from ntl with no problems.

I meg will be 337.99, & phone will be £9.50 (I think), + any 'talk' packages you may want.

I know they said the price of 1Mb was going up but :Yikes:

altis
22-06-2004, 14:33
When I signed up for broadband I had to take TV and phone as well. Later, when it was allowed, I ditched the TV and phone, leaving just the broadband thru the STB. To do this, they simply reconfigured my box. However, they still left me with channels 1 thru 7 - for free ;) Later, when my STB failed, Bill C came round and swapped it for a cable modem so no more free TV - but then we have'nt got a telly either!

Florence
22-06-2004, 16:44

I canceled just the TV package with no problems leaving me with BB and telephone.

Bizarre
22-06-2004, 17:44
I canceled just the TV package with no problems leaving me with BB and telephone.

Likewise and you will certainly not regret getting Sky +. I did exactly what you are contemplating at the beginning of the year and I have not looked back!

Why did I wait so long? :D

Earl of Bronze
22-06-2004, 18:13

Same here, I ditched it following the CR3 induced abortion. Plus they arranged a equipment collect, and the bloke arrived am as requested. :shocked:

Pea-Pod
22-06-2004, 22:17
Did you transfer your TV package from NTL to Sky+ for the price? or the greater intractivity you get with Sky+??

How much cheaper is Sky+ than NTL when you want all the channels?

Caspar
05-07-2004, 14:00
ok I thought I'd update this thread!

I'm now a Sky customer! seeya NTL (TV only, keeping my BB and TV).

Sky's deal

Sky+ is £149
Minidish and digibox = FREE (planning to put this in the bedroom :D)
Installation = FREE

Sky+ subscription: £40 pm for all packages (movies, sports and family pack)
Normal sky subcription for the normal digibox, for the bedroom = FREE

TOTAL cost
One off purchase of Sky+ box of £149
monthly cost of £40 for Sky+ and normal Sky.

Can anyone honestly say NTL can even try to beat this!!!!!

All I need to do now is stop my NTL TV :D

poolking
05-07-2004, 14:11
Aren't you also forgetting that the Sky boxes are yours and you will have to foot the bill for repairs/new box, unless you take out some monthly plan?

ZrByte
05-07-2004, 14:22
ok I thought I'd update this thread!

I'm now a Sky customer! seeya NTL (TV only, keeping my BB and TV).

Sky's deal

Sky+ is £149
Minidish and digibox = FREE (planning to put this in the bedroom :D)
Installation = FREE

Sky+ subscription: £40 pm for all packages (movies, sports and family pack)
Normal sky subcription for the normal digibox, for the bedroom = FREE

TOTAL cost
One off purchase of Sky+ box of £149
monthly cost of £40 for Sky+ and normal Sky.

Can anyone honestly say NTL can even try to beat this!!!!!

All I need to do now is stop my NTL TV :D

are there any discounts being offered to existing sky digital customers?
will it work with the same minidish or do you need a new one installed?

Im only asking because our Digibox for the sky Digital is on its way out I think and my parents are considering switching to NTL, though if I tell them this about SKY+ im sure they'l be interested.

poolking
05-07-2004, 14:31
I think all you would have to do is have the LNB changed.

Caspar
05-07-2004, 14:54
I'm all done. NTL said they'd switch my STB for a SACM this Saturday, which sounded good. Sky told me that they'd bring forward my 25 day installation date, 1st Aug, to a data after NTL have removed their TV service.

Sorry to say but Sat is bad for me, so I've next Tuesday, 13th July. I promptly phoned up Sky and they've brought forward the installation to the 15th :)

I'll be TV less for a day or two, but bar anything decent being on I'm happy :)

Will keep you updated [of any problems!] ;)

Aren't you also forgetting that the Sky boxes are yours and you will have to foot the bill for repairs/new box, unless you take out some monthly plan?

they said the box is guaranteed.

gazzae
05-07-2004, 15:20
they said the box is guaranteed.

For a year, after that if it fails you have to pay.

KingPhoenix
10-07-2004, 16:56
But for £39 a year (through sky) its guaranteed and so is your dish etc.

scrotnig
10-07-2004, 19:32
It's a reasonable enough deal, however....

Why is it that so many people see ntl's price of 49.50 for full packages and a phone, then see Sky's offer of £40 for the full package WITHOUT a phone and think it's a good idea?

Once you add the phone line cost in, it's the same. Sky are well known for lying about this on the phone.

I have long advocated that it's time ntl went back to pricing TV separately. So, quoting, say, the family pack price as being £19.50, and then saying a phone line is £9.50 regardless of whether you have TV or not.

Same overall price, but easier to compare with Sky and might just stop them lying. Also, it'd be handy for those with BT lines who do not want to switch, but would like ntl TV.

Caspar
12-07-2004, 15:37
Just had a courtesy call from NTL (physical call at my door), which was weird! Not really sure what he wanted!

He basically told me he was confirming the removal of the STB and replacement with a SACM, and gave me a card with his mobile on it incase I had any problems.

Seems weird they'd go to the expense of sending a man out since I'm reducing my service!

Anyone know why he came round? To satisfy what need?

skyblueheroes
12-07-2004, 15:51
Just had a courtesy call from NTL (physical call at my door), which was weird! Not really sure what he wanted!

He basically told me he was confirming the removal of the STB and replacement with a SACM, and gave me a card with his mobile on it incase I had any problems.

Seems weird they'd go to the expense of sending a man out since I'm reducing my service!

Thats a bit odd - never had a visit when I was on ntl - not even to pick up the stb !!

Caspar
13-07-2004, 19:49
Here's my day with NTL! (been logging it throughout the day! :erm: )

Well an NTL engineer turned up Tuesday morning, about 9.30am. Fairly early start which I was pleased with. To recount the guy who visited me yesterday told me that the engineer could install my SACM wherever I wanted. FYI, my STB was in my lounge with my TV, I then ran a CATV cable back outside, up the wall, inside and into my router. The courtesy call guy told me that the engineer could install the SACM in my studyÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šà ¬Ã‚Â¦.which when requested this morning the engineer told me †œerm, Iâ₠™m just swapping over the boxesÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šà ¬Ã‚Â!...ok, thanks NTL! :mad: :(

Anyway, the engineer was nice enough and swapped everything over within 10 mins. He phoned his NTL friends up and requested a PIN number for my new SACM, he genuinely seemed stunned to hear that my broadband account hadnâ₠¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢t even been created!. This meant there was no PIN number available. He informed me that the sales person must have failed to create the account when I requested it.

He said all he could do is setup my PC so the PIN was ready to type in when NTL phone me with it. So I rebooted my PC and gave him access. I informed him twice that the PC was connected via a router but he attempted to connect the broadband via the browser anyhow, which failed. He then surmised that it failed because it wasnâ₠¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢t a direct connection. So, I plugged the WAN cable from my new SACM into my PC directly. After a reboot it worked, and my screen is ready and waiting for NTL to give me my PIN number.

Off the engineer went, who seemed very concerned that he hadnâ₠¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢t finished the job and got me on broadband. :) Tho, he did say I should be online within an hour, two hours at most. He did say that it wouldnÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šà ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢t hurt if I phone CS up and asked for the PIN in 30 mins or so.

So 30 went passed and I started to get a white chill already, Iâ₠™m unable to check my emails hereâ₠¬Ã‚¦what if Iâ₠™m missing something? lol :)

The CS lady I spoke to informed me that the account was not created and told me that someone would phone me within 48 hoursÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šà ¬Ã‚Â¦.48hours WTF!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :( I went on a bender and demanded to know why my account was not created at point of orderÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šà ¬Ã‚Â¦she was blunt and said that since the account was not created she was unable to give me the PIN, dodgy my questionsââ‚ ¬Â¦ ahhh! :( She did say that the computer that generates PINs was broken at the moment, great but why wasnâ₠¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢t my account created last week, when I ordered it!!!

So! †¦because an NTL sales person who took my change of package decided not to create my account Iâ₠™m going to be NET-less for 48hours!....:mad:

Time now is 11.30am on Tuesday 13th Julyâ₠¬Ã‚¦. I wonder when Iâ₠™ll be able to post this!

Time now is 7.22pm, and no Internetââ‚ ‚¬Ã‚¦ may aswell become a monk or enlist! I noticed earlier that the NTL guy forgot to take the STB remote control and power cable :confused: :LOL:

Time now is 7.35pm, after spending the last 10 minutes or so on hold to NTL I finally have my PIN number. Iâ₠™m confused why I had to phone them up cause they told me, a few different NTL people that someone would phone meâ₠¬Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¦good job I phoned them huh! Anyway, here goesââ‚ ¬Ã‚¦IÃ¢à‚¬â„à ‚¢m going for the PINââ‚ ¬Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¦

Time now is 7.39pm. Well I donââ‚ ¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢t have a broadband serial number now!!! †¦ off to spend another 10 mins on hold :(

Time now is 7.44pm. Whilst on hold, I decide to click back on my browser history and luckily enough I got to a page after the serial number page that the engineer typed in. Lucky I knew how to do thatââ‚ ¬Ã‚¦wonder what an average Joe would doâ₠¬Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¦ hmmm :(

Back online at 7.50pmÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šà ¬Ã‚Â¦blimey what a nightmareââ‚ ¬Â¦and maybe I would have been back online using my new SACM if a) NTL bothered to create my new broadband account at point of sale and b) if someone at NTL had bothered to phone me with the PIN once someone had created it, and didnâ₠¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢t leave me to have to phone themâ₠¬Ã‚¦honestly do they think their customers can read minds and we know when they create it!!! :mad: :(

All in all NTL blunders again :( †¦typical! Iâ₠™m surprised that when I was told it would take 48 hours to create my PIN they just said †œComing Soonâ₠¬Ã‚¦.Ã¢à‚¬Â Instead of all that baloney! :mad: :(

Just waiting for Sky to come on Thursday now :(

Marge
13-07-2004, 22:17

Some people either decide they don't want to change or forget the appointment but at least he bothered (more than the sales person from reading your other post :erm: )

etccarmageddon
15-07-2004, 07:36

not true - your rights as a consumer mean you do not need to do this for the reasonable working life of the product. although there is an element of risk as you would have to threaten legal action.

http://www.tradingstandards.gov.uk/cgi-bin/calitem.cgi?file=ADV0054-1111.txt

"Q. I bought a fridge/freezer about 18 months ago, and the freezer section has completely failed. I went back to the shop, but they refused to do anything as it was outside the original 12 month guarantee. What are my rights?
A. Firstly, when you buy goods from a shop, you enter into a contract under the Sale of Goods Act 1979 (as amended). This holds the shop liable for up to six years after purchase (Limitation Act 1980), providing that you can show that the problem is down to an unreasonable fault and not normal wear and tear. Secondly, remember that the guarantee is in addition to these statutory legal rights. Don't be taken in by the shop's argument here - they are using the issue of the guarantee as a red herring to try to avoid their legal obligations toward you. See our leaflet 'Buying Goods' for more information on your rights."

"Q. I bought a microwave oven four months ago, and it went wrong. The shop has replaced it with a brand new one, which is working well. They won't, however, give me a new guarantee for this replacement. Can I demand one?
A. No. Remember, guarantees are viewed as being an optional extra, and are provided in addition to your legal rights under the Sale of Goods Act 1979 (as amended). Manufacturers will usually argue that their intention is to provide you with extra protection under the guarantee for a fixed period of time after the initial purchase, often for 12 months. Therefore, no matter how many repairs or replacements you get, it is usual for the manufacturers to stick to this time limit. You can always try negotiating though - sometimes persistence pays off, especially if you have had lots of problems with a particular make or model."

Caspar
15-07-2004, 15:14
Ok Sky came today and installed Sky+ in my lounge and normal Sky in my bedroom :D

Two problems with Sky:

1. Someone at Sky forgot to post me my two cards so am unable to use my new Sky facilities for 3-5 working days!!! The install guys says I'd be lucky if I got them Sat morning!

Great! :mad: these companies are as bad as each other!!!! :monkey: :(

Tho, I do have freeview channels until then :)

2. The guy muddied my hall carpet! ...but it was chucking it down :( ...but no apology! :erm:

All in all, I'm now waiting 3-5 working days for my Sky+ and normal Sky cards now :( No quality TV over the weekend :Yikes:

SMHarman
15-07-2004, 15:19
All the NTL guys have been very dilligent in taking their shoes off in my house.

Caspar
15-07-2004, 21:10
ok, we were clicking through the channels and we don't seem to have ITV1, got ITV2..but no ITV1....a friend has it listed as 103, but when we type 103 it says "Channel unavailable".

We've not got our viewing card yet so that could be the reason, but all the other channels are there but it says to insert the viewing card.

Friends said that their ITV1 disappeared a few months back...:confused:

Anyone know what's going on and how to get it back, manual channel add?

ian@huth
15-07-2004, 21:18
ok, we were clicking through the channels and we don't seem to have ITV1, got ITV2..but no ITV1....a friend has it listed as 103, but when we type 103 it says "Channel unavailable".

We've not got our viewing card yet so that could be the reason, but all the other channels are there but it says to insert the viewing card.

Friends said that their ITV1 disappeared a few months back...:confused:

Anyone know what's going on and how to get it back, manual channel add?

ITV1, Channel 4 and FIVE all need a viewing card to receive.

Caspar
15-07-2004, 21:25
Yes, but why can't I find the channel? Others need a card, like Sky one....but I can find the channel and get the message "insert viewing card".

Why doesn't ITV1 in the TV listing?

ian@huth
15-07-2004, 21:38
Yes, but why can't I find the channel? Others need a card, like Sky one....but I can find the channel and get the message "insert viewing card".

Why doesn't ITV1 in the TV listing?

Not too sure, but it is probably because ITV is regionalised and your box has to be told what region to display when channel 103 is selected.

Caspar
15-07-2004, 22:01
ok, thanks...I'll keep an eye on it when I get my cards :)

James Vertigan
21-07-2004, 12:44
I'm sure the original poster won't mind me hijacking his topic slightly... but here is my NTL to Sky (normal Sky Digital) story...

Sunday 18th: Man turns up in plain white van and gives my dad a piece of paper - not an official Sky letter but just a scrap of paper with our details typed on it confirming our installation.

Today: NTL have switched our subscription channels off leaving just the free ones (and interestingly MTV - didn't know that was free!) An NTL engineer turns up about 11:50 (10 minutes to spare!), in an unmarked van and no ID, but with all the correct paperwork, he then comes in to the sitting room and unplugs the box (with a bit of help from me), checks the card and takes the remote as well... although he had to leave some of the cables as they were in an awkward area which would result in us having to remove an entire bookcase! Was all done within about 15-20 minutes though.

So we are just left with our 5 channels for the moment, and our Freeview box in the kitchen! No confirmation from Sky yet as to what time the installer would be turning up... but applause to NTL for actually bothering to turn up and take your equipment away (shame about the crappy TV service!)

I'll let you know how things progress over the next day, all I can say though for the moment is thank God the cricket's on Channel 4 tomorrow! :p:

Oh, and PS, I'll change my signature accordingly later!

poolking
21-07-2004, 12:52
Sorry to hi-jack this thread.

Once I've figured out my finances, I'll be switching from NTL to Sky+ in the next 2 to 3 months. I have had an email from Sky confirming that the £199 for a sky+ box and other equipment can be paid for on a monthly plan.

I will be keeping my phone and BB though. :)

Neil
21-07-2004, 13:01
Sorry to hi-jack this thread.

Once I've figured out my finances, I'll be switching from NTL to Sky+ in the next 2 to 3 months. I have had an email from Sky confirming that the £199 for a sky+ box and other equipment can be paid for on a monthly plan.

I will be keeping my phone and BB though. :)

Can you let me have a copy if that letter as I have a friend who wants to pay for Sky + on a monthly plan? :)

Ta. :tu:

poolking
21-07-2004, 13:07
Snippet from the email I received:

Thank you for your email concerning the Sky+ box monthly payment plan.

I am happy to confirm that Sky+ is available on a monthly payment plan, to find out more information on this and Sky+ please call 08702 427 878 and one of our Sky+ advisors will be happy to assist you.

Should you require any further assistance please do not hesitate to email me at the above address.

This is the original email I sent:

Good Morning,

I'm enquiring about the cost of Sky+ equipment. Do you have to pay the £199 in one go? Or can you spread the cost of the equipment by adding the cost to your monthly subscription. As £199 in one go is rather a lot of money.

James Vertigan
21-07-2004, 22:25
No confirmation from Sky yet as to what time the installer would be turning up... but applause to NTL for actually bothering to turn up and take your equipment away (shame about the crappy TV service!)

I'll let you know how things progress over the next day, all I can say though for the moment is thank God the cricket's on Channel 4 tomorrow! :p:

Well, no call from an engineer all day so phoned Sky at about 21:45 - Got through to nice Scottish lass who informs me that not all engineers get their work sheets for the next day until the morning... so I should wait until 9:30am to receive a call - if I don't get one by then I should phone Sky back.

I can appreciate the fact that they may not get their job sheets till the morning but it's a bit inconvenient for people if you're expecting a call the day before and you want to be in to take it (in case they're reluctant to leave a message on the answerphone) and then they don't call, but then you're at home most of the next day waiting for the guy to turn up!

Caspar
27-07-2004, 11:49
:erm: NTL turned up on my door yesterday with a job sheet to replace my set top box with the new ones (ready for 1.5MB)!

I informed the NTL guy that I got rid of my NTL TV the other week and all I have now is a SACM! He seemed confused as to why he's been told to replace my STB!!! hmmm! :confused: :(

I didn't know NTL were coming, if I had I would have saved them the petrol... seems odd that they simply expect me to be in...during the day! Luckily I was ;)

typical!