PDA

View Full Version : Digital Photos

porpoise
22-06-2004, 00:18
Hi, I have taken some great digital photos in New York and wondered if there is an online store where i can upload them and get them printed in large or even poster size, does anyone know ? I have ordered standard size prints from www.fotoinside.co.uk (http://www.fotoinside.co.uk/) .thank you.

MovedGoalPosts
22-06-2004, 01:06
you could try:

http://www.jessops.com/info/dp/index.cfm?page=inkjetlarge.htm&style=

Chris W
22-06-2004, 02:18
www.photobox.co.uk

They do upto 30" by 20"

My old manager went to work for them as well :)

MB

Graham
22-06-2004, 12:10
Hi, I have taken some great digital photos in New York and wondered if there is an online store where i can upload them and get them printed in large or even poster size, does anyone know ?

The first thing to check is what resolution you shot them at. To print them out at a reasonable quality would require 300 PPI (Pixels Per Inch) any less than that and the picture will degrade (like zooming in repeatedly on an image on screen).

How many Mega Pixels does your camera use and did you use maximum resolution when you shot them?

SMHarman
22-06-2004, 14:28
Shooting at maximum resolution lossless prints (300dpi) will be
2 Mp - 6x4
3 Mp - 7x5
4 Mp - 8x6
Thats the limit of most consumer point and prods.

They can be enlarged further, but the pixelation will become more noticable
8*6 = 48in2 10*8, the next size up is 80in2, so heading for half the resolution.

That said, it depends where you are putting it. A 10*8 in an album will look noticably more pixelated than one on the wall as you will look less closely and from a further distance at the one on the wall. This is why poster prints often look good, because you stand 4ft away when you look at it - it's not held at arms length.

Tricky
22-06-2004, 21:16
www.photobox.co.uk

They do upto 30" by 20"

My old manager went to work for them as well :)

MB

I'll second this, I've had the big blow up from them and the quality is excellent, just check the recommended pixel sizes across and height that they have one the site to ensure that your images are suited to large format printing.

goldoni
26-06-2004, 00:27
I have some digital photos taken in New York I reduced them for viewing on a web site and had the originals stored on CD which has now gone US the only ones I have now are reduced to 500 x 375 by 28.35 pix/cm Does anybody know a way to give me a better quality 6 x 4 prints.

Tricky
26-06-2004, 13:19
I have some digital photos taken in New York I reduced them for viewing on a web site and had the originals stored on CD which has now gone US the only ones I have now are reduced to 500 x 375 by 28.35 pix/cm Does anybody know a way to give me a better quality 6 x 4 prints.

The size of your images will limit the quality - You cannot print what you don't have. When your CD gets to the states get someone to copy it and send you back a copy.

goldoni
26-06-2004, 13:44
The size of your images will limit the quality - You cannot print what you don't have. When your CD gets to the states get someone to copy it and send you back a copy.
Thanks for the info, I was just hoping that there was some software available to re-size the photos. The term US was used to mean un-serviceable, not working, unable to read data. so I will now have to take a deep breath and tell her indoors that the print she wants is going to be small D'oH

Thanks for your help

bbwannabe
26-06-2004, 14:01
you could try a recovery software and see if it can get it back.
Or try with a different drive, sometimes corrupted files can be faulty on one drive but works on others.

goldoni
26-06-2004, 14:38
you could try a recovery software and see if it can get it back.
Or try with a different drive, sometimes corrupted files can be faulty on one drive but works on others.
I have six computers with different OS from 95/98/me/200/xp home and it don't want to work on any of the CD drives. I think this is due to it being first created on a 98 OS done with CeQuadrant packetCD and I then used it on my XP laptop to add more photos and now it can only read the new photos added. D'oH and no I don't have a backup of my Backup, but saying this it may just be on my Onsteam backup tape which is on my server. Thanks for the info :erm:

P.S What I know about computers can be written on a postage stamp "Bragging againÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šà ¬Ã‚Â but I do know enough to be really dangerous.