PDA

View Full Version : Speed Cameras

gary_580
20-06-2004, 22:52
If your approaching a speed camera which is on the other side of the road and is one that takes pictures from the back of your car, and it goes off, can you still get fined?

The camera was on the other side of the road.

The car was approaching the camera and not going past it as the camera was intended.

There are no lines on the side of the road appriacing the camera either (but are some of the side of the road where the camera is.)

Secondly if its at night and that happens and it distracts you by the blinding light flashing twice and surely this could cause an accident?

Russ
20-06-2004, 22:57
If your approaching a speed camera which is on the other side of the road and is one that takes pictures from the back of your car, and it goes off, can you still get fined?

No - the standard fixed cameras like the one you are probably talking about will only snap you if you are travelling away from it.

Secondly if its at night and that happens and it distracts you by the blinding light flashing twice and surely this could cause an accident?

In theory yes, but the flashes are so instantanious that they are not likely to pose any real danger.

gary_580
20-06-2004, 22:59
No - the standard fixed cameras like the one you are probably talking about will only snap you if you are travelling away from it.

In theory yes, but the flashes are so instantanious that they are not likely to pose any real danger.

hmmm well i was travelling towards one at 1am and there were no other cars, but it still went off??

Chris W
20-06-2004, 23:00

The camera was on the other side of the road.

The car was approaching the camera and not going past it as the camera was intended.

There are no lines on the side of the road appriacing the camera either (but are some of the side of the road where the camera is.)

As far as i know you will not get fined, because the markings on the road are what is used to determine your speed. If you were on the other side of the road you may not even have been in the picture. I remember a case a few years ago about taking pictures of people from the front is invasion of privacy under the ECHR (European Convention on Human Rights) but i am sure it won't come down to this!

Also i guess yes if you are distracted and crash then you could blame the camera, but i very much doubt you would be able to claim compensation from the speed camera unit of your local police force (i mean think how little money they must have!!). However you if someone was speeding through it when it went off and you crashed, a very good lawyer may be able to bring a successful civil action for the damage against the speeding motorist, but i don't see this being very likely.

If you are bored, you can always tie a tin can to a piece of string and swing it round infront of a speed camera, because when it reaches a certain speed it will make the camera go off :)

MB

Russ
20-06-2004, 23:00
That's very odd - standard speed cameras are not designed to work like that and require some kind of marked distance for an accurate reading, such as the white lines you normally see.

If you are bored, you can always tie a tin can to a piece of string and swing it round infront of a speed camera, because when it reaches a certain speed it will make the camera go off

:eeek: Why am I only learning about this now????

*legs it down the road with a tin can and some string....

punky
20-06-2004, 23:01
This happened to me recently, I never got the NIP. I did a lot of research at the time, it seems like the rear-flashing-Gatsos, that flash at on-coming cars are dummy units with cheap radar detectors that can't tell the difference between a positive speed (like normal), and a negative one (driving towards the camera). Apparently a friend of my friend (who was also flashed with me) told him that he drives passed the same camera all the time speeding, and never gets caught. I think even if it did take pictures of your car, they couldn't use them because there are only lines on the other side of the road, with the whole "Error Of Parallax" thing. If it flashed, then i'm 99.99% sure it wasn't a front picture taking camera like a TrueVelo, although apparently someone people have sworn they flashed, even though they have an infra-red flash, which you aren't supposed to see.

HTH and rests your mind a little.

gary_580
20-06-2004, 23:02
If you are bored, you can always tie a tin can to a piece of string and swing it round infront of a speed camera, because when it reaches a certain speed it will make the camera go off :)

MB

PMSL

iadom
20-06-2004, 23:07
I liked the story of the guy yesterday, who had been caught speeding a couple of times, he noticed a police camera and drove past at 20 MPH and put not 2, but 4 fingers, 2 on each hand, up to the camera. He was fined for driving without due care and attention for taking both hands of the wheel.

Russ
20-06-2004, 23:10
http://www.ukspeedcameras.co.uk/guide.htm

A pretty comprehensive site on all GATSO related matters.

Nikko
20-06-2004, 23:14

MB

Do not use a beer or cider can though - the penalties for speeding under the influence are much higher :disturbd:

gary_580
20-06-2004, 23:16
Do not use a beer or cider can though - the penalties for speeding under the influence are much higher :disturbd:

getting caught speeding while your swinging could be even worse!!

Temporal
20-06-2004, 23:16
Where in Peterborough wa the speed camera Gary?

The one on the way out of Whittlesey to Stanground has flashed me three times and I've never heard anything!!

I have friends in the force who told me that pictures in this situation are usually blank.

gary_580
20-06-2004, 23:19
The one on Oundle Road outside side of Orton Longville school

Nikko
20-06-2004, 23:19
getting caught speeding while your swinging could be even worse!!

Just call up the Government and ask for a spin doctor

Xaccers
20-06-2004, 23:21
As far as i know you will not get fined, because the markings on the road are what is used to determine your speed.

The radar in the Gatso determines your speed, not the white lines.
They can be used to give a rough confirmation of your speed should you contest the accuracy of the camera recorded speed.
A case I heard about involved a man going through roadworks.
The camera recorded him doing quite a bit more than the speed limit, he knew he wasn't speeding, so contested it.
The police "somehow" missed a few lines when they were counting so it showed him as speeding.
Thankfully his maths skills, along with his solicitor and the magistrate, were somewhat better than the police and showed that he hadn't been speeding.

gary_580
20-06-2004, 23:24
The radar in the Gatso determines your speed, not the white lines.
They can be used to give a rough confirmation of your speed should you contest the accuracy of the camera recorded speed.
A case I heard about involved a man going through roadworks.
The camera recorded him doing quite a bit more than the speed limit, he knew he wasn't speeding, so contested it.
The police "somehow" missed a few lines when they were counting so it showed him as speeding.
Thankfully his maths skills, along with his solicitor and the magistrate, were somewhat better than the police and showed that he hadn't been speeding.

i was more questioning the fact that it should have recorded me doing -40 mph in a 30 limit as i was going towards it??

mrmassive
20-06-2004, 23:29
http://www.speedcam.co.uk/

check what the public think to these cameras and ways to stop them. OK the government say they save lives!!!!!!!!!! 16% so why havent the other 84% been removed ? As they are not needed . I wish I had invested in manufactureing Break Pads for cars as the sales have probably doubled by now lol

Temporal
20-06-2004, 23:30
The one on Oundle Road outside side of Orton Longville school

Never seen that one go off!!! So you would have been heading towards Ferry Meadows? Three new cameras went up on Whittlesey road and huge skid marks appeared several days later near them. I live in Stanground and have never seen any major accidents to warrant the road an accident blackspot.

Constabulary cash machines anyone?

Xaccers
20-06-2004, 23:31
i was more questioning the fact that it should have recorded me doing -40 mph in a 30 limit as i was going towards it??

Nah, only if it's programmed to understand minus :)
If it simply says

aquire target distance 1
start timer
aquire target distance 2
stop timer
difference between distance 1 & 2 divided by time

Then it will just say what speed you were doing and if over the set limit, flash flash :)

As for cash machines, just before the sliproad onto the M275 out of portsmouth there is a Truvelo camera (portsmouth police apparently don't want to catch speeding bikers)

mrmassive
20-06-2004, 23:38
One good thing about a Motor Bike when you get flashed at the front . Like most of the ones they have where I live . NO Number plate

punky
20-06-2004, 23:40
http://www.speedcam.co.uk/

check what the public think to these cameras and ways to stop them. OK the government say they save lives!!!!!!!!!! 16% so why havent the other 84% been removed ? As they are not needed . I wish I had invested in manufactureing Break Pads for cars as the sales have probably doubled by now lol

Nice site. There used to be an awesome one run by the Dutch. Not helpful about here but really interesting nonetheless. It seems to have gone down now, but i'm sure it was http://www.tuftufclub.com Might just have the wrong addy/name though.

Edit: Seems like the Tuf Tuf Club is now Dutch only :( http://www.tt-c.nl/ It is funny putting it through Babelfish. Where's Dan when you need him? :)

Steve H
20-06-2004, 23:48

I beg to differ ;)

I was travelling past one at around 7.30pm a few monthes ago. It wasn't fully dark, was about dusk. Anyway, there was a camera on the other side of the road, lines on both sides.. I wasn't aware I was over the limit, but it flashed.. It flashed just as I glanced at the camera for a split second, and completly dazzled me. Quite lucky that the road was empty, as im sure I veered to the right. Anyway, I had to pull over to 'recover', if you can put it like that. After about 10 minutes, my head was banging.. and I suffered a migraine as I got home. (Lights, Strobes.. etc seem to affect me)

Bloody road was a 40mph limit, completly open (Rural) and it didn't really pose any threat to be doing at least 60 there. So yeah, this camera was dangerous.

Shaun
21-06-2004, 00:19
Just call up the Government and ask for a spin doctor

Your jokes are getting worse Nikko :D ;)

gary_580
21-06-2004, 19:11
I beg to differ ;)

I was travelling past one at around 7.30pm a few monthes ago. It wasn't fully dark, was about dusk. Anyway, there was a camera on the other side of the road, lines on both sides.. I wasn't aware I was over the limit, but it flashed.. It flashed just as I glanced at the camera for a split second, and completly dazzled me. Quite lucky that the road was empty, as im sure I veered to the right. Anyway, I had to pull over to 'recover', if you can put it like that. After about 10 minutes, my head was banging.. and I suffered a migraine as I got home. (Lights, Strobes.. etc seem to affect me)

Bloody road was a 40mph limit, completly open (Rural) and it didn't really pose any threat to be doing at least 60 there. So yeah, this camera was dangerous.

yep, this one distracted me too. Did you get fined?