PDA

View Full Version : UK's biggest call center

Mark W
25-07-2003, 01:30
Was wandering around work today, and it struck me not for the first time just how BIG the place is....i was wondering if anyone knew what the UK's biggest call center (sorry... communications center)?

to give you an idea of the size of matrix court i took a few pics....

matrix court (http://www.masterlymayhem.com/page/work.html)

sorry about the quality, but they were taken with my new nokia, and i forgot to take off the protective cover off the camera bit :blush:

*edit* oh, and before the anti ntl mob jump on the lack of people, these photos were taken around 11 at night - long after customer service, faults and the vast majority of tech support have gone home ;)

kronas
25-07-2003, 01:35
i dont know the answer but that looks a good enviroment to work in plenty of space :)

quality of pics is great........

alan.ralskey
25-07-2003, 01:40
OMG that is huge Mark :eek:

all the ones that I have worked in have been tiny in comparision :(

Mark W
25-07-2003, 12:03
Originally posted by kronas
i dont know the answer but that looks a good enviroment to work in plenty of space :)

yep except i work in the dark packed in 'corridor' between the two open areas at the back of the buildng :cry:

grum1978
25-07-2003, 12:06
Originally posted by Mark W
yep except i work in the dark packed in 'corridor' between the two open areas at the back of the buildng :cry:

Oh plz it looks a lot nicer than the buliding i work in :p :D

Richard M
25-07-2003, 12:07
V nice, thanks for the pics! :)

Steve
25-07-2003, 12:13
I think that United Utilities (The company made up of Norweb and North West Water) has the largest call centre in the UK, that cost £12m in 1998

However, im not sure if they are beaten by HSBC / First Direct who have a massive call centre in Leeds, Yorkshire

Ignition
25-07-2003, 12:34
Hehe I look forward to visiting it, looks nicer than where I work for sure, definitely no fair :p Might see ya there :wavey:

Nidge
28-07-2003, 15:09
Not a bad place at all, you'd be hard pressed to get me to do some work if there's a gym in there. Great pictures too.

Nidge
28-07-2003, 15:10
Was wandering around work today, and it struck me not for the first time just how BIG the place is....i was wondering if anyone knew what the UK's biggest call center (sorry... communications center)?

to give you an idea of the size of matrix court i took a few pics....

matrix court (http://www.masterlymayhem.com/page/work.html)

sorry about the quality, but they were taken with my new nokia, and i forgot to take off the protective cover off the camera bit :blush:

*edit* oh, and before the anti ntl mob jump on the lack of people, these photos were taken around 11 at night - long after customer service, faults and the vast majority of tech support have gone home ;)

Since when did the sun shine at 11 o clock at night:D :D :D :D Look at the windows there's daylight coming through them.

Mark W
28-07-2003, 15:28
Originally posted by Nidge
Since when did the sun shine at 11 o clock at night:D :D :D :D Look at the windows there's daylight coming through them.

lol youre wrong actually - the only windows in the building are at the front, and they are not visible in the photos - if you look at the 3rd photo down - the windows are under that balcony on the far left of the photo, and above it in the offices - and as you can see no light is filtering through :D

*edit*
Hehe I look forward to visiting it, looks nicer than where I work for sure, definitely no fair Might see ya there

just look for the persecuted looking chap at the back of the building :)

:wavey:

Jules
28-07-2003, 18:08
With his feet up on the desk relaxing ;) lol Great pics thank's Mark

Tricky
28-07-2003, 18:19
Too much space - The call centres I install is maximum desk per sq footage (even started using LCD screens to keep space down)

Mark W
28-07-2003, 18:40
Originally posted by whyme38
With his feet up on the desk relaxing ;) lol Great pics thank's Mark

Relaxing??!! my feet are on the desk to cool off after being run off them all day ;)

Too much space - The call centres I install is maximum desk per sq footage (even started using LCD screens to keep space down)

have got to say, it is a nice enviroment to work in, even if i am under the enclosed bit.

as for LCD screens, 3/4 of tech support have them.... but guess what 1/4 im in? :cry:

Tricky
28-07-2003, 18:53
How many seats in the biggest call centre?

Mark W
28-07-2003, 18:56
Originally posted by Tricky
How many seats in the biggest call centre?

thats what i would like to know - at matrix court we have around 2000 pcs - tho they aint always being used clearly :)

fraz
28-07-2003, 19:02
Relaxing??!! my feet are on the desk to cool off after being run off them all day ;)

Why not just stand on top of one of the air conditioning outlets then (after removing the bins first!!)

:cool:

Mark W
28-07-2003, 19:18
Originally posted by fraz
Why not just stand on top of one of the air conditioning outlets then (after removing the bins first!!)

nah, id rather put up with feet on fire than have to deal with that chilly draft eminating from the floor :grind:

Pritch
28-07-2003, 19:42

The dark packed in bit is the best bit. When there's only two of us in on Fault Operations late at night or early in the morning, all the lights go out and we can pretend that we're not there.

Talking of Fault Operations, I noticed you left us (the pride of the entire building, I'll have you know) out of the picture. :mad:

Edit: No you didn't. I can just about see the end PC in our department sticking out in the fourth picture.

Edit: And what a tidy desk you've got. Have you lot got no work to do or something?

Mark W
28-07-2003, 19:56
Originally posted by Pritch
The dark packed in bit is the best bit. When there's only two of us in on Fault Operations late at night or early in the morning, all the lights go out and we can pretend that we're not there.

*notes that you dont have to move very much at all to trigger the light sensors, but then a sleeping body does not move much i guess*....

Talking of Fault Operations, I noticed you left us (the pride of the entire building, I'll have you know) out of the picture. :mad:

Im sorry, you think that was an oversite? ;) didnt want to wake you poor faults folk up with the click of my camera.... ;)

anyway - back on topic - still no idea what/where the biggest callcenter is? :(

Pritch
28-07-2003, 20:10
anyway - back on topic - still no idea what/where the biggest callcenter is? :(

When Cable and Wireless opened it, Matrix Court was the biggest. Mind you, that was 1999 (I was there at the official opening p*** up), so I guess that it's 209,000sq ft of floorspace has been overtaken now.

Oh, by the way. After nearly four years in the same building, I still can't find my way around the meeting rooms upstairs.

carlingman
28-07-2003, 22:47
One for the matrix court workers from some time back.

Does anyone remember the day when a few members from the Caradog House Newport crew visited the place and one of those polystyrene sound deflectors fell from the ceiling.

Seem to recall it waking a few techs up and giving them a nice shock, cant post what was said as the swear filter will nab me.

:D

Mark W
28-07-2003, 22:52
Originally posted by carlingman
One for the matrix court workers from some time back.

Does anyone remember the day when a few members from the Caradog House Newport crew visited the place and one of those polystyrene sound deflectors fell from the ceiling.

Seem to recall it waking a few techs up and giving them a nice shock, cant post what was said as the swear filter will nab me.

you might laugh but there about 8/10 hanging by a thread over pods - and as you can see by the photo, they are a long way up!...

health and safety is obviously a priority :rolleyes:

Lord Nikon
28-07-2003, 23:00
Perhaps you should sit there one day and start singing "The Sword Of Damocles" from the Rocky Horror Show? lol

carlingman
28-07-2003, 23:21
you might laugh but there about 8/10 hanging by a thread over pods - and as you can see by the photo, they are a long way up!...

health and safety is obviously a priority :rolleyes:

Well i can imagine it is not funny.

But at the time we were there my Team Leader happened to comment on those saying "have any of them ever fallen" then spooky about 2mins after him commenting on that one of them actually did.

:D

Russ
29-07-2003, 09:10
What you should have done was to take photos of the callcentre on the weekends, then everyone would be able to see why it's so difficult to get through :D

handyman
29-07-2003, 10:02
*wonders if he shuld post the fancy dress pics?

Will take digi cam to work and put up some pics of our :)
its tiny though.

OO How tidy is matrix?

Pritch
29-07-2003, 10:27
Originally posted by handyman
OO How tidy is matrix?

Fairly tidy. In theory everybody should be hot-desking, so there's not much stuff lying about anyway. If you visit my desk, it's covered in crap though. But my department is hidden behind a screen, so I don't care.

Theodoric
14-08-2003, 12:23
Re the first piccie. Are those 3 juggling balls I see on your desk?

Re the last piccie. Those machines look remarkably similar to those in the control room of the crashed spaceship in Alien. :)

duncant403
14-08-2003, 14:55
Speaking of large buildings, I have been round what was (don't know if it still is) the longest building in Europe - at a third of a mile long...
(The Vickers' tank factory - not sure if it's still open though).

Mark W
14-08-2003, 17:53
Originally posted by duncant403
Speaking of large buildings, I have been round what was (don't know if it still is) the longest building in Europe - at a third of a mile long...
(The Vickers' tank factory - not sure if it's still open though).

oh, i thought the building in the steelworks near port talbot had to be one of the longest.....you pass it when on the train, and the bleeding thing never seems to end!

*oh, and yes, those are juggling balls btw - multi-tasking is a beautiful thing ;)