PDA

View Full Version : Re-installing broadband

Yonda
19-06-2004, 16:29
I'm re-installing broadband for a friend of mine coz their PC was all messed up. Basically, I've reinstalled W98SE from scratch and want to know how I can re-install broadband and get it working on their PC. Here's the situation......

Their PC does not have an ethernet card so it's USB only.
I have the PC at my home where I'm trying to connect my cable modem to it that has been used on ethernet.
I have gone through the basic USB cable modem setup using the installation CD but it baulks when trying to get an IP address.
Should this work? I am having no success and am tearing my hair out at the moment. I did this for my brother-in-law a while back and it worked fine so I can't see what's wrong.

Any advice would be greatfully received.

paulyoung666
19-06-2004, 16:33
take a look here (www.ntli.info) for some really good info , and if you can get a network card for it , it is soooooooo much simpler than usb , btw :welcome: to the site :)

Chris W
19-06-2004, 18:04
:welcome: to the site- check the following things on the pc:

1. check in device manager that the cable modem is in the category network adaptors and titled: "usb cm 351000" ( i am assume it is a silver ntl home modem that you are using)
2a) if the modem is there: go to start -> run -> winipcfg and you should see the usb cm 351000 in the list of adaptors there as well. What is the ip address appearing?
b) if the driver for the modem is not installed properly, it will appearing in device manager as either:
?! usb cm 351000
?! usb cable modem or
?! ambit usb cable modem

double click and chose reinstall driver, and point the wizard to X[cd drive]:/drivers/ambit/
reboot

if the driver is installed but not appearing in winipcfg, it means it is not bound to tcp/ip... post back for instructions on how to fix this. ;)

MB

Yonda
19-06-2004, 19:05
Cheers for the replies, will let you know how I get on.

Yonda
20-06-2004, 10:49
Ok, here's what I found out.......

Cable Modem correctly installed under drivers and listed as:

Device Name: USB Cable Modem 351000
Device type: Network adapters
Manufacturer: brand
Hardware version: not available

WINIPCFG entries:

Adapter address: 00-D0-59-F7-3E-1B
IP Autoconfig address: 169.254.150.255
Subnet Mask: 255.255.0.0
No other entries have anything in them

Network Properties:

USB Cable Modem 35100
Bindings: TCP/IP->USB Cable Modem 35100

TCP/IP Properties for USB Cable Modem 35100:

Obtain IP Address automatically selected
Disable WINS Resolution selected
No Gateways selected
Disable DNS selected
Allow Bindings to ATM - NO
Bindings: Client for Microsoft Networks & Microsoft Family Logon

Internet Explorer Settings:

Dial up - no entries
LAN - no entries ticked

That's it and I still can't connect to the internet. Any more ideas?

ian@huth
20-06-2004, 11:03
Have a look at Robin Walkers site, especially the page which deals with issues regarding 169.254.xxx.xxx IPs.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/badip.html#ip169

Yonda
21-06-2004, 12:17
Thanks for all your help, unfortunately nothing seemed to work so I went and got an ethernet card and it worked first time.

Will there be any problems when I connect it to their cable modem which has only ever been used with a USB connection?

Chris W
21-06-2004, 12:20
Thanks for all your help, unfortunately nothing seemed to work so I went and got an ethernet card and it worked first time.

Will there be any problems when I connect it to their cable modem which has only ever been used with a USB connection?

nope... as long as you make sure you power down the modem for at least 30 seconds before switching to ethernet. apart from that it will be just fine.

MB

td444
21-06-2004, 12:20

Nope. You may notice that your IP has changed.

Tezcatlipoca
21-06-2004, 19:59
To add to that...

Handy page on Robin Walker's CM tips site: Swapping USB to ethernet and vice-versa (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/usb.html#usbswap)