PDA

View Full Version : Intermittant connection

Dravic
19-06-2004, 15:21
I've been suffering from an intermittant connection to my ntl broadband service for a month or so now and phoned ntl a couple of times and they sent out an engineer to fix the fault about 2 weeks ago. He changed the FPA from 6dB to 3dB and said it would be fine. Well it isn't, it was a *bit* better for a few days before getting worse again. It's now back to me rarely staying connected for more than 20 mins and often less than 5 mins. What usually happens is my downloads/browsing gets really slow and then stops altogether. Looking at the lights on my cable modem the u/s one goes out first followed by the d/s one then either the modem seems to reset itself (followed by a message about network cable unplugged on win2k) or i have to unplug the power lead and plug it in again. I downloaded a copy of DocsDiag and have posted some results below (I have a few more if they're any use). Although it often comes up with cable modem not found. I connect my pc directly to the cable modem with VIA Rhine II onboard ethernet. I tried using another 3com PCI card but that failed to improve things. I have a dual boot system running win2k/Mandrake 10 official and get the same problems on both o/s. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. Else it means phoning ntl again :(

DocsDiag v030720 Copyright 2001-3 Robin Walker rdhw@cam.ac.uk (rdhw@cam.ac.uk)
Ambit EuroDOCSIS Cable Modem 60549EU HW_Rev:1.9, SW_Rev:2.40.3225

System up time = 0 days 00h 00m 16.00s
Downstream channel ID = 3
Downstream channel frequency = 586750000 Hz
Downstream received signal power = 0.1 dBmV
Upstream channel ID = 2
Upstream channel frequency = 41584000 Hz
QoS max upstream bandwidth = 256000 bps
QoS max downstream bandwidth = 1024000 bps
SigQu: Signal to Noise Ratio = 32.7 dB
Cable modem status = Operational
Upstream transmit signal power = 40.0 dBmV
Date and Time = 2004-06-01,12:40:41.0
Configuration filename = ntlhm120-gold.cm
Press any key to continue . . .

homealone
19-06-2004, 17:14
Hi :welcome: to the forum

the power levels & signal to noise ratio look fine according to Robin Walker

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/signal.html

- but the report was presumably done while your connection was ok.

- your symptoms do indicate fluctuating power levels, though, so it looks like a call to NTL is your best bet.

Ignition
19-06-2004, 22:41
Might be worth giving me your IP address in private chat so that I can nail down the issue, sounds like it *might* be an upstream noise issue, in which case it would affect more people than just yourself.

If you give me your public IP address I'll be able to check the quality of signals received by us.

TheBig1
24-06-2004, 14:29
Hi There

I also suffer from the disappearing service glitch. Win XP regularly reports "Cable Diconected" the "Cable Reconnected". Whilst this did not pose a problem previously, it is now reaching a point where I cannot access the net or email after 4pm every day. My best guess is that the network is over subscribed locally and the kids coming home from school marks the point of collapse.

seaneeboy
24-06-2004, 15:08
Hi TheBig1 - Are you connecting through a set top box or a seperate modem?