PDA

View Full Version : Connecting laptop to BB

mick70
19-06-2004, 12:10
Can anyone advise me. My company laptop has an ethernet card, I use it when in the office to connect to the work intranet. How do I connect at home to my cable modem. Do I need to install the Broadjump CD on my laptop so it can talk to the modem? Grateful for any help, dial up from home is soooo slow!:(

Stuartbe
19-06-2004, 12:17
Can anyone advise me. My company laptop has an ethernet card, I use it when in the office to connect to the work intranet. How do I connect at home to my cable modem. Do I need to install the Broadjump CD on my laptop so it can talk to the modem? Grateful for any help, dial up from home is soooo slow!:(

You dont need to install any software on the laptop. You will however need to reboot the cable modem before conecting it to the laptop as the mac address will change. You allso need to check and see if any proxy servers are set up in your browser as your company may use them. To check for proxy's launch internet explorer, click on tool, internet options, connections and then the lan settings button. Be aware that if you chnage these settings then your net connection at work may cease to function. If you do have the settings then I would recomend that you check with the IT staff at your work as they may offer VPN connections.

If there arer no proxys set and you allready have a pc at home on the broadband then there are two other solutions availble to you.

1. pay for NTL's seccond IP service @ £3.00 a month and buy a switch or hub. Connect the modem to the switch/hub then run a cable from the switch hub to your home pc and the laptop.

2. Buy a router and wire it the same way as above.

HTH.

Stuart
19-06-2004, 13:54

Depends if your cable modem is USB or has an ethernet connection. If your modem has only USB, then you will need to at least install the drivers from the Broadjump CD. If it has and Ethernet connection, then, TBH, you will be better off using that (even on your home PC).