PDA

View Full Version : Leave UK for good.....

Salu
18-06-2004, 13:49
Radio have had a discussion about people giving up on UK and moving abroad.

I just wondered how you are feeling about the UK at the moment? Fed up with us possibly joining the almost inevitable EU Federal State. Have you had enough? Maybe you can't imagine living anywhere else? Maybe you are hanging around and just "waiting and seeing".

Where would you go and why? Or why would you stay and not go?

Maybe this has been discussed before but a search on "emigrate" and "leave UK" shows nothing....

Caspar
18-06-2004, 14:01
I'd leave the UK for the US today if my wife was up for it!

I feel so cramped in the UK :( plus dozen of real reasons!

I'll probably retire there.. :)

Escapee
18-06-2004, 14:05

I just wondered how you are feeling about the UK at the moment? Fed up with us possibly joining the almost inevitable EU Federal State. Have you had enough? Maybe you can't imagine living anywhere else? Maybe you are hanging around and just "waiting and seeing".

Maybe this has been discussed before but a search on "emigrate" and "leave UK" shows nothing....

I would leave if I could go to a country that would let me do as I please, give me living accomodation, food in my belly, legal aid, free medical care and enough money for a few beers.

Hang on I'm already there! :rolleyes:

NB. I am not a layabout I am a fool I work for a living. :D

SMHarman
18-06-2004, 14:36
Mrs H being American and myself certainly want to move there sometime in the future. The reasons we hav'nt are more logistical than anything else, the need to finish the snaggings areound the house so we can rent or sell, how to operate her business from overseas.

Interesting situation to be in because 6 years ago when we got married we both wanted to settle here. How times have changed, or maybe the grass isn't greener.

BootBoy
18-06-2004, 15:36

Australia would be my choice of country.

I do disagree with your comment about the inevitability of the EU State, or at least the prospects of the UK joining it.

Salu
18-06-2004, 16:12
Australia would be my choice of country.

I do disagree with your comment about the inevitability of the EU State, or at least the prospects of the UK joining it.

I would like to think that we will remain independant but I think it likely that we will join. If not imminently then in the future.

I think that there will eventually be a federal state formed.

zovat
18-06-2004, 16:14
Given the opportunity - Canada/US for me - at a stroke - my Mrs would be happy as well.

Don't get me wrong - I love my country, and I am happy with my life here (I have a good job, and am reasonably well paid). However I would happily move if I could, as I feel that this country is becoming too expensive for me to retire in comfort.

Alan Waddington
18-06-2004, 18:18
I worked in the States for a couple of years, enjoyed it and seriously considered staying. I think it really depends on your personal outlook. Some folks get homesick for family & friends. Others feel at home wherever they hang their hat.

Alan

Bifta
18-06-2004, 18:25
I'm quite happy where I am, I wouldn't trade living here for anywhere else, there's no english accents, cheap housing, decent pub measures and a reasonable chucking out time, I'm 2 minutes from the border so cheap fags and petrol are within easy reach, loads of excellent beaches and countryside and I have a decent job, I couldn't ask for anything else. I went over to visit some friends in Essex a while back, was supposed to stay for the whole weekend, arrived at 5pm and left on an 8am flight the next morning, couldn't wait to get back.

paulyoung666
18-06-2004, 18:34
without trying to take this off topic , how many ppl would be happier being part of the usa rather than the use , just a thought , please dont crucify me for it :erm: :D :D :D :D

Bex
18-06-2004, 18:40
i think part of me would like to move away, maybe to new zeleand or something, but the other part of me is quite a home bod and wouldn't want to be away from my family. but who knows what the future holds :D

Russ
18-06-2004, 18:45
I would never EVER leave Wales (let alone the UK) unless forced. This is my country, it's where I was born, it's where I grew up and it's where I live. I just can't imagine living in any other country.

Paul
18-06-2004, 20:03
I would choose New Zealand, Australia or possibly the USA.

Earl of Bronze
18-06-2004, 20:27
Well being from 'gods own country', I would be lothe to leave.

I spent 5 and a half years in the army, and although I saw a lot of the world, and yes, most of that was during some sort of strife. I love Norn Iron (thats Northern Ireland to the rest of you). Even though we have more than our share of socio-economic problems, this is my homeland, and I Love It.

If I was pushed to move country, for one reason or another, I'd head to Canada. I always find Canadians to be friendly and courtious, and I always feel like its home with an American'ish accent. As for moving to the US. B0ll0ck$ to that!!!!!! No way I will ever set foot in that country again. Yes come to the US and be treated like a criminal as soon as you get of the plain. No chance I'll ever be finger-printed just to enter a country. :td:

Xaccers
18-06-2004, 22:54
I'd quite like to go back to Saudi, but maybe not in the current climate :(

Dave Stones
18-06-2004, 22:58
i think it would be australia or canada for me. depends, maybe get rich and buy a house in both, so when the annoying language of one country got to me too much i could go to the other one. couldnt put up with all that *insert stereotypical comment about canadian or aussie language here* :)

Proppinupthebar
18-06-2004, 23:04
Well being from 'gods own country', I would be lothe to leave.

I spent 5 and a half years in the army, and although I saw a lot of the world, and yes, most of that was during some sort of strife. I love Norn Iron (thats Northern Ireland to the rest of you). Even though we have more than our share of socio-economic problems, this is my homeland, and I Love It.

If I was pushed to move country, for one reason or another, I'd head to Canada. I always find Canadians to be friendly and courtious, and I always feel like its home with an American'ish accent. As for moving to the US. B0ll0ck$ to that!!!!!! No way I will ever set foot in that country again. Yes come to the US and be treated like a criminal as soon as you get of the plain. No chance I'll ever be finger-printed just to enter a country. :td:

Let us know before you move away mate (and when you are back visiting). I hope your future years are more enjoyable than this last one, and my very best wishes for the future. If you get chance out there then please post.

I quite fancy moving to Canada, but so far I've got as far as Belgium!!

Xaccers
18-06-2004, 23:12
Australia, from what I've heard has a more leisure orientated out look when it comes to work.
US could be interesting, but as I've yet to meet a sane woman from canada, I think I'll give that a miss :D

punky
19-06-2004, 00:10
My family have actually made the jump. They come back every now and again, but it just highlights to them how badly downhill this country is going. They come back, are happy to see family for a few days, then it just wears them down. My mum is back now atm for a couple of months to sort some things out and apart from seeing me which she misses the most obviously, this country just hammers it home how nice she has things back out there. My older brother has completely immersed himself, and my younger brother, although he moans and threatens to come back home, he never does. I mean, over there he is 19, and has a 2003 Ford Mustang Cobra. How the hell would he have that here? And me? Well, i'm the most patriotic and would miss this country the most out of the family, but as I spend extended amounts of time over there visiting the family, coming back aftre 2.5 months, it does make me think, is life really so good here? I dislike Florida because it is so rural, but i'm sure if I moved to Boston or Seattle, i'd be as happy, or maybe even more happier. My family get frustrated at the US, but it is normally just Floridians. They are far more laid back than Brits and it shows when you want to get things done. Nothing that couldn't be solved by moving north, but they like the weather down there. My mum has never had arthitis pain since she moved.

About "being ruled by the US". Ideally, I don't want to be ruled by anyone except the UK. That includes the US as well as Europe. But that said, we have far, far more in common with the US than Europe. If the whole EU constitution involved the US instead of the EU, I think it would be less of an adjustment.

Xaccers: I've been to Ontario twice. It really isn't that bad. Actually it is a nice in-between to the US and the UK. Both the influences are there (you have a crown on the road signs) but obviously the American influence is heavier. And I pulled a girl there, and judging by her and her friends, I can recommend the ladies :naughty: :)

Xaccers
19-06-2004, 00:18
Xaccers: I've been to Ontario twice. It really isn't that bad. Actually it is a nice in-between to the US and the UK. Both the influences are there (you have a crown on the road signs) but obviously the American influence is heavier. And I pulled a girl there, and judging by her and her friends, I can recommend the ladies :naughty: :)

I'm sure it's a lovely place, my parents have been there on a long mobile home tour that they loved, a workmate's parents have a property over there, and I have a 2nd cousin there (one of the insane women I mentioned)

I think you're right about joining the US, as long as we'd still be able to control our own nation, then I think people would be more up for it than joining europe

Bifta
19-06-2004, 00:20
I lived in Ontario for a couple of years, polluted lakes, stinking towns (Hamilton, Oshawa), two different taxes to pay at the checkout, +35 degree's in the summer and as low as -45 in the winter, knackered freeways (I think the horrifically cold weather shags the roads beyond belief) ... never again.

punky
19-06-2004, 00:38
I lived in Ontario for a couple of years, polluted lakes, stinking towns (Hamilton, Oshawa), two different taxes to pay at the checkout, +35 degree's in the summer and as low as -45 in the winter, knackered freeways (I think the horrifically cold weather shags the roads beyond belief) ... never again.

God no wonder you hate it, I wouldn't live in those places for anything. Take the (I can't rememeber, 400?, 404?) North-west out of Toronto there are some nice places. Aurora (Has famous people there, lie Kurt Russell), Newmarket (some really affluent places there. I think Jim Carrey still has a home there. They have a Ferrari dealership too), Richmond Hill. There are some nice towns out there. Toronto isn't bad either. You are right though about the freeways and things generally look worn out. Still, there are worse places to be.

Bifta
19-06-2004, 00:42
God no wonder you hate it, I wouldn't live in those places for anything. Take the (I can't rememeber, 400?, 404?) North-west out of Toronto there are some nice places. Aurora, Newmarket (some really affluent places there. They have a Ferrari dealership too), Richmond Hill. There are some nice towns out there. Toronto isn't bad either. You are right though about the freeways and things generally look worn out. Still, there are worse places to be.

I lived out near(ish) the Kawartha lakes too, up near Peterborough .. pleasant enough place, no decent amenities though (not even a local rate ISP), no shops, no pubs/bars nothing. Toronto didn't have much in the way of character for me, nor did Mississauga, but yes, Hamilton and Oshawa do have to be the two worst cities in Canada, one's a steel town one's a car manufacturing town. I can't quite put my finger on it, but there's something I hate about both the USA and Canada, perhaps I was hanging out with the wrong people.

punky
19-06-2004, 00:51
God, you've been about there a lot judging by how much you hate it, I should cross it off my list! I dunno, like most places, it has its nice areas and its poor one. One good point about just visiting is you get your GST back (Or the other one, I can't remember now.) That's starting to worry me now, what I can't remember. The list is getting a bit big now :erm:

The one thing about the US and Canada, is i'd miss the British TV. (Watching Fantasy Football atm). You just don't get TV this good over there (Except Royal Canadian Air Farce. That was hilarious.)

Bifta
19-06-2004, 00:54
The one thing about the US and Canada, is i'd miss the British TV. (Watching Fantasy Football atm). You just don't get TV this good over there (Except Royal Canadian Air Farce. That was hilarious.)

Ah but see, in N. Ireland I get UK TV and Irish TV, the ONLY bad thing I can say about living in Ireland is the whole job situation, if you can find one, you're sorted, if not, you'll at least be somewhere pleasant claiming the dole. I was very lucky to end up doing what I do now for a reasonable salary.

Jerrek
19-06-2004, 05:04
God no wonder you hate it, I wouldn't live in those places for anything. Take the (I can't rememeber, 400?, 404?) North-west out of Toronto there are some nice places. Aurora (Has famous people there, lie Kurt Russell), Newmarket (some really affluent places there. I think Jim Carrey still has a home there. They have a Ferrari dealership too), Richmond Hill. There are some nice towns out there. Toronto isn't bad either. You are right though about the freeways and things generally look worn out. Still, there are worse places to be.
400 ;)

Jerrek
19-06-2004, 05:06
You picked the two industrial towns to live in. Bad choice. How about Waterloo or Kitchener where I'm in right now? About 100,000 people, plus 30,000 or so students. Clean air, clean water, nice folks.

As for the climate, I can deal with the cold, but the +35 tends to annoy me.

And for the PST and GST, what about it?

basa
19-06-2004, 09:24
My family and I are actively planning a move to NZ in the next 12 months !

I used to love UK but now we hate it with a vengeance...it stinks ! Can't wait to get on that plane for the last trip out of here !!! :(

Bifta
19-06-2004, 12:13
You picked the two industrial towns to live in. Bad choice. How about Waterloo or Kitchener where I'm in right now? About 100,000 people, plus 30,000 or so students. Clean air, clean water, nice folks.

I couldn't possibly comment on where you live as I've never been there and will never end up back in Canada.

As for the climate, I can deal with the cold, but the +35 tends to annoy me.

April and May were fantastic weather wise, then the heat hit me around June, the first winter I was there it started snowing at the end of December .. and i don't think it stopped until February.

And for the PST and GST, what about it?

It's annoying, I like to walk into a shop and know exactly by looking at an item how much it costs without having to add various percentages.

punky
19-06-2004, 13:03
IIt's annoying, I like to walk into a shop and know exactly by looking at an item how much it costs without having to add various percentages.

It is the same mostly anywhere. That happens in the US too, although it is only one tax. What makes it annoying is that the tax (Sales Tax) varies per county as well with what you buy. I.E In a restaurant, "Eat In Tax" (sales tax, but that is how it appears on your bill) is different to if you took the meal away and ate it off the premises. Basically, even if you live there, you never truely how much something is going to cost you, although you have a rough idea. For my family, it is either going to be 6.5% or 7.0%. What is really, really annoying though is how the calculate the tax. In England they work backwards, and say: Let's put it up for 99p, so that is 84p for the goods and 15p tax, But the yanks do it the other way around. They say: "Let us put it up for 99c, and then they add the tax at the register (they extremely rarely add the tax to the price when they advertise, I only know of like two places, and one is Disney (Because of the tourists)), so it becomes 99c + 5c = $1.05, which means having to break two bills. You just end up with so many ones and so much change because the tax just pushes it over the nearest whole number.

Avrils_knickers
19-06-2004, 13:43
i know a few people i would like to leave the uk

Halcyon
19-06-2004, 13:53
Definately Australia for me or Canada.
Very beautiful places.

punky
19-06-2004, 13:55
Noone should be under illusions how difficult it is though. Any country out of Europe worth moving to around the world has put a "no vacancies" sign, so it is extremely hard to move out of the UK unless you want to go to into Europe. It isn't like in Eastenders, when they just disappear to America for good when they feel like it. It has taken my dad 5 years to get his green card (although it only took my brother 1.5 years. Go figure), and many, many thousands of pounds. My mum still isn't sorted although she has a right to remain for 2 more years, and since my L2 expired, I don't have anything at the moment. I hear Australia is even harder, although Canada is easier allegedly (considered moving there a while ago), but still isn't that straight forward. Unlike us, they'll only take people that are fiancially self-supportive and have enough qualities to enrich their country.

Bugblatter
19-06-2004, 13:55
I wish all the people like this (http://www.chavscum.co.uk/images/june2004/june051.jpg) would leave the Uk for good.

Xaccers
19-06-2004, 15:09
I wish all the people like this (http://www.chavscum.co.uk/images/june2004/june051.jpg) would leave the Uk for good.

As someone who works in Staines, I have to agree with you

Just out of interest, when does Chav hunting season start? :D

Damien
19-06-2004, 16:27

I want to move to the USA if i could, not because of immigrants or the EU but because everyone keeps moaning. People are voting for racist partys we have a media that is so out of control they print lies so much it has become meaningless. We have people blaming all there problems on immigrants without taking any of the blame for there ****ty lives on themselves (.i.e "we can get a job because of those people" but they dont think it might be because they have on education)

Look at euro 2004 we have been booing national anthems and other countries. We seem to have no respect for other races or for our own countries and I am getting ****ed of with it

SMHarman
20-06-2004, 12:15
It's annoying, I like to walk into a shop and know exactly by looking at an item how much it costs without having to add various percentages.

But at least you realise what the governments are taking.

Bifta
20-06-2004, 12:53
But at least you realise what the governments are taking.

As opposed to what method? VAT that's already added for you? I think I know what I prefer.

SMHarman
20-06-2004, 12:57
VAT yes, but the less intelligent of our community think the shop gets the £1 and does not have to pass 13p of that to the government in tax.

In the US it's explicit.

danielf
20-06-2004, 13:16
VAT yes, but the less intelligent of our community think the shop gets the £1 and does not have to pass 13p of that to the government in tax.

In the US it's explicit.

Perhaps, but can the less intelligent work out what the final price will be?

SMHarman
20-06-2004, 20:02
Perhaps, but can the less intelligent work out what the final price will be?

True - perhaps both should be printed.