PDA

View Full Version : Job, No Job.

Earl of Bronze
17-06-2004, 15:42
Just got a phone call from one of the employment agencies I'm registered with.

They set me up with an interview on Monday, in the Dispatch Office of the Royal Victoria Hospital in Belfast. The job was to handle dispatch of hospital porters to move patients, documents, blood etc round the hospital.

So went for the interview on Monday and was offered the job. I was supposed to start next Monday, with my induction and orientarion etc. But got a phone call about 3.00 pm. To tell me that a former employee had phoned the manager I had been interviewed by, and because he had previous experience, he was gettin the job.

Seem's that the run of $h1te luck I've been having since 17th Feb continues. Roll on September and a new job in Iraq. :rolleyes:

zovat
17-06-2004, 15:50
Just got a phone call from one of the employment agencies I'm registered with.

They set me up with an interview on Monday, in the Dispatch Office of the Royal Victoria Hospital in Belfast. The job was to handle dispatch of hospital porters to move patients, documents, blood etc round the hospital.

So went for the interview on Monday and was offered the job. I was supposed to start next Monday, with my induction and orientarion etc. But got a phone call about 3.00 pm. To tell me that a former employee had phoned the manager I had been interviewed by, and because he had previous experience, he was gettin the job.

Seem's that the run of $h1te luck I've been having since 17th Feb continues. Roll on September and a new job in Iraq. :rolleyes:

I hope they are compensating you - IIRC once a job offer has been made and agreed (even verbally) it is legally binding.....

Earl of Bronze
17-06-2004, 15:55
I hope they are compensating you - IIRC once a job offer has been made and agreed (even verbally) it is legally binding.....

I doubt it, and to be honest, I was only lookin to be there for a couple of months. So I'm not too worried by not gettin the job. At the interview I was honest with the manager and told him that come September I would be leaving. So, no biggie.

Still................ This just show's that my crap luck continues. :(

zovat
17-06-2004, 15:58
I doubt it, and to be honest, I was only lookin to be there for a couple of months. So I'm not too worried by not gettin the job. At the interview I was honest with the manager and told him that come September I would be leaving. So, no biggie.

Any particular reason for sept? Not another Telic Fan ;) ?

SMHarman
17-06-2004, 15:59
Damn right, if a verbal offer was in place, then this is effectivly termination on day one and they should pay you the appropriate notice period (day / week / month).

SMHarman
17-06-2004, 17:15

Call up the agency and ask them where your compensation for loss of office is?

They will have to respond to that question. After all what are they to know that you didn't turn down another offer last week to take this one so are out of pocket and have lost out on another opportunity. You should get at least a weeks cash out of them, as that would be a reasonable time to attempt to find alternate short term employment.

Their client has acted in an unprofessional and unethical and proabably illegal manner. You would be perfectly entitled to show up on monday based on the verbal offer and see what the hospitals HR function has to say about the manager.

paulyoung666
17-06-2004, 19:05
are you in any sort of union , it might be worth asking them about it , if not them maybe citizens advice might be a good idea :)

then again did you really want to work at a place who treats employees so ****ty when they aint even started makes you think i reckon :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Earl of Bronze
17-06-2004, 19:28
Any particular reason for sept? Not another Telic Fan ;) ?

Telic???? :confused:
The reason for September as my cutoff time is because I'll be flying to Canada to see my family. Then flying upto St. John's in Newfoundland to visit my late partners family, see St. Johns, but most importantly, to visit Maureen's grave for the first time. After that. With a little luck, I'll be flying home then off to Iraq on one of the Private Security Contracts.

greencreeper
17-06-2004, 20:50
Agencies :fit:

The old boy network still exists - there's nearly always an internal candidate that's favoured for the job. I've wrote my own job description and applied for the job before now. I was instructed to make sure no one else applied :D

Scrubbs
17-06-2004, 20:54
Telic???? :confused:
The reason for September as my cutoff time is because I'll be flying to Canada to see my family. Then flying upto St. John's in Newfoundland to visit my late partners family, see St. Johns, but most importantly, to visit Maureen's grave for the first time. After that. With a little luck, I'll be flying home then off to Iraq on one of the Private Security Contracts.
Pop into the "rose and thistle" in st john .....interesting little pub:) see if you can see my name on the wall:D

Earl of Bronze
17-06-2004, 22:28
Pop into the "rose and thistle" in st john .....interesting little pub:) see if you can see my name on the wall:D

Will do mate.

Isuppose you're name is in the gents somewhere? ;)