PDA

View Full Version : txt spk in posts

scrotnig
15-06-2004, 15:39
Why do so many people these days insist on wrting in txt spk in posts, using stupid abbreviations like 'u', 'ur', 'm8', and using no capitals etc?

This sort of thing is fine on mobile phones with a fiddly keypad and a short message length limit. It's utterly stupid in a forum, with a full size keyboard and no message limit that's ever going to matter.

if i c a msg tpd wiv al th wds lke dis i cnt b rsd rding it at al its 2 mch lke hrd wrk!

If you want your message read, try typing it in English!

Chris W
15-06-2004, 15:42
Why do so many people these days insist on wrting in txt spk in posts, using stupid abbreviations like 'u', 'ur', 'm8', and using no capitals etc?

This sort of thing is fine on mobile phones with a fiddly keypad and a short message length limit. It's utterly stupid in a forum, with a full size keyboard and no message limit that's ever going to matter.

if i c a msg tpd wiv al th wds lke dis i cnt b rsd rding it at al its 2 mch lke hrd wrk!

If you want your message read, try typing it in English!

:LOL: agree with you totally, althrough i have to confess that i don't usually use capitals! :erm: Hope you can forgive me :angel:

Jon M
15-06-2004, 15:50
It's a shame people don't seem to read sticky posts : http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=6309

Maybe we'd have a better standard of posting if they did.. who knows :|
The Message Itself

Write in clear, grammatical, correctly-spelled language.

People who are careless and sloppy writers are usually also careless and sloppy at thinking and applying (often enough to bet on, anyway). Answering questions for careless and sloppy thinkers is not rewarding; the readers will rather spend their time elsewhere.

So expressing your question clearly and well is important.

Writing like a l33t script kiddie hax0r is the absolute kiss of death and guarantees you will receive nothing but stony silence (or, at best, a heaped helping of scorn and sarcasm) in return.

Scrubbs
15-06-2004, 15:51
I agree as well.
The other thing is not using any fullstops or comma's so it is difficult to read if someone changes to another item half way through the text you cannot always understand what they mean do you understand what i am saying ( phew ...that was difficult to write.):D

Paul K
15-06-2004, 16:36
Unfortunately many people type the way they speak which can lead to abbreviations being used that would normally seem out of place. With the explosion in the use of mobile phones and text messaging "text speak" is becoming just another *******isation of the English language.
It can be annoying but as long as you can understand enough of what is being asked you can often still be of help to people that post that way in forums.

poolking
15-06-2004, 16:58
I find it extremely annoying, even on a mobile phone I try to type the words out properly and fully, I sometimes text speak on a mobile if I want to send a message in a real hurry.

Graham
15-06-2004, 17:04
F u wrt msgs lk ths u cnt spl wrth a dmn! :D

cookie_365
15-06-2004, 17:44
I agree as well.
The other thing is not using any fullstops or comma's so it is difficult to read if someone changes to another item half way through the text you cannot always understand what they mean do you understand what i am saying ( phew ...that was difficult to write.):D
I hope that apostrophe was ironic ! ;) :)

I might be an old fart, but I won't buy anything off firms who sell "PC's" or start putting Words in Title Case apparently at Random becuase they presumably Think it adds more gravitas to what they're saying.

My view is if they're communications people can't communicate in English properly, their engineering people can't engineer gadgets etc. properly.

cookie_365
15-06-2004, 17:47
... if they're communications people can't communicate in English properly, ...
Oh my god, I can't believe I just typed that! I need to sit down in the corner with a large vodka.

Xaccers
15-06-2004, 18:08
I agree as well.

*looks at Kronas :D

Paul
15-06-2004, 20:51
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=9100 :)

Russ
15-06-2004, 20:54
Text speak is bad enough but the ones who I think are worse are the kids (and adults) who fink itz da bomb 2 tok like dis :grind:

Paul K
15-06-2004, 21:02
Text speak is bad enough but the ones who I think are worse are the kids (and adults) who fink itz da bomb 2 tok like dis :grind:
Russ ma maaaan u is da biatch ov txt speek ;) Gud 2 c ez in tuch wid da yoof ov 2day :p:

Russ
15-06-2004, 21:03
Umm.....welshside? Booyaka boyo? etc

scrotnig
15-06-2004, 21:13

Kewl post Russ man, dat was da bomb! Yeah! Cush.

Russ
15-06-2004, 21:31
:disturbd:

Chimaera
15-06-2004, 22:23
Kewl post Russ man, dat was da bomb! Yeah! Cush.
Come and visit here Russ - they all speak like that in Chav Central ;)

Matth
15-06-2004, 22:45
There is another category of abbreviations - such as the TLA and other initials based abbreviations.

FWIW ISTR a list of these somewhere, BICBW
IMHO, they are more difficult than txt spk or h4x0r - since they are impossible to guess.

IIRC, people often confuse this one with IRC - and IRC also means different things to a radio ham (http://www.upu.int/irc/en/) or a computer user (http://www.irchelp.org/)

Stuart
16-06-2004, 18:26
Come and visit here Russ - they all speak like that in Chav Central ;)What? Dartford?

:D

Actually, I don't agree with using TXT SPK anywhere apart from Mobile phones. Digital Spy actually now put the following in the quick reply box:

- Please ensure your reply is constructive and adds to the discussion
- Pointless posts will be removed and may result in you losing posting privileges
- To avoid misunderstandings, please don't use 'txt spk' and ensure your post is relatively typo-free

Maybe the mods could do something similar here..

Paul K
16-06-2004, 18:31
Nah.... closer to Thurrock than that but one day that tunnel will the way we export all the chavs into central London ;)

Stuart
16-06-2004, 18:39
Nah.... closer to Thurrock than that but one day that tunnel will the way we export all the chavs into central London ;)I dunno, there is a fair size Chav population in Dartford.

Maybe they have "leaked" out of thurrock via the Dartford tunnel? :D

Paul K
16-06-2004, 18:46
Just one more tunnel that requires some sort of immigration controls LOL ;) Don't worry Stu, she's at her evening class tonight so we are safe for now :p:

Chimaera
16-06-2004, 18:52
Just one more tunnel that requires some sort of immigration controls LOL ;) Don't worry Stu, she's at her evening class tonight so we are safe for now :p:
Well just for you two I have bunked off! :D
Actually the worst offender for using text speak is my daughter - who is in her second year at Uni doing a Language and Linguistics degree! :rofl:
What do they teach the kids these days? :rolleyes:
PS I don't live in Thurrock - I just spend way too much time at Lakeside!

Stuart
16-06-2004, 19:17
PS I don't live in Thurrock - I just spend way too much time at Lakeside!
So, getting letters addressed to "
Chimera,
Tesco,
Lakeside Shopping Centre,
Thurrock" was too much? :D

Paul K
16-06-2004, 19:31
Chimera,
Tesco,
No, no, no, Chimera is a different member but the clincher was probably when they opened the new "Chimaera Express Checkout" ;) Paid for by her reward points LOL
Not that we aren't :notopic: :p:

Stuart
16-06-2004, 19:48
No, no, no, Chimera is a different member but the clincher was probably when they opened the new "Chimaera Express Checkout" ;) Paid for by her reward points LOL
Maybe it's when she realised she could buy a Learjet with her reward points... BTW "Chimera" in my post above should say "Chimaera".

Back on topic. Text Speak is irritating, although abbreviations such as IIRC (If I Remember Correctly) and "FFS" (For f***s sake) are OK for use on the Forums (IMO :D ).

Chimaera
16-06-2004, 20:40
Chimera,
Tesco,
No, no, no, Chimera is a different member but the clincher was probably when they opened the new "Chimaera Express Checkout" :)Paid for by her reward points LOL

:wtf: :nono: :mad:

I have no idea where you get these strange ideas form!
Anyway - back on topic - I find text speak is relatively easy to understand in a short text - but lots of it in a post just confuses me! Could be something to do with the advanced age perhaps! ;)