PDA

View Full Version : Any way I can change my IP?

Electrolyte01
15-06-2004, 12:15
I want to change my IP because this IP is an easy target. Black Ice has reported over 265 events in the last 2 days. My "intrusion" list is huge, even though they may not be attackers I don't want to be scanned this much, it is really anoying me.

Any way I can change my IP then?

poolking
15-06-2004, 12:25
It won't help for long.

Just put up with it, like loads of other people do.

BBKing
15-06-2004, 12:36
Need to get out of the mindset that everyone's targetting you. It's the other way round, someone is targetting everyone. If your firewall is blocking them good. Make sure you're patched, antivirused, firewalled and go on your merry way.

If you want to change your IP change the MAC address of the device connected to your cable modem. It's the only sure way.

Mick
15-06-2004, 12:53
Blackice is said to be a terrible piece of software and you shouldn't trust what it says, I have seen various reports and reviews on this software, that it can trigger too many false alerts.

Smilie
15-06-2004, 13:15
a question quite close to this topic
any1 knows why or when NTL does change ur IP??
i know my IP changes once in a while

Mick
15-06-2004, 13:29
a question quite close to this topic
any1 knows why or when NTL does change ur IP??
i know my IP changes once in a while

Sometimes when work is carried out on the UBR specific to your broadband connection, work such as upgrades, maintenance etc can sometimes force IP address changes. Some people assume that if they can get their IP changed, they can improve their connection but obtaining a different IP address does not necessarily effect or change the performance of your broadband connection.

Teccie
15-06-2004, 14:36
I could be wrong here - but if u turn ur modem and pc off for a length of time, it can force a change of ip - well it has happened to me once... when i turned my modem and pc off prior to going to bed - turned it back on the next day and wow and behold - different ip...

Electrolyte01
15-06-2004, 21:16
I'm using Black ice because I got it for free. I don't want to use XP's ICF until Sp2 is out, with that "upgrade" in it. (well, hopefully).

I'm thinking of getting a router though, any one know any GOOD ones? I got £40 to spend on one (including deleivery).

Thanks

Matth
15-06-2004, 21:41
On some adapters, like my favourite Intel, you can change the MAC address - in the driver/config tool, it's called "Locally administered address"

http://www.mynetwatchman.com/pckidiot/chap04.htm
Two caveats - if you have LAA capability in your adapter - use an approved LAA address format, and randomize the address so there's less chance of a collision with somebody else doing the same.
The address you get (after registering the new MAC address - http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/swap.html ) may be WORSE - and you are interfering with the normal functioning of the allocation scheme.

If you are under a particularly heavy and repeating probe load from an NTL IP address - report it. http://www.ntlworld.com/netreport/
It's really only worth reporting, if it stands out against the general background - there are so many worms and opportunist probers around, that you'll never get it completely quiet.

Tezcatlipoca
16-06-2004, 00:52
I could be wrong here - but if u turn ur modem and pc off for a length of time, it can force a change of ip - well it has happened to me once... when i turned my modem and pc off prior to going to bed - turned it back on the next day and wow and behold - different ip...

It doesn't actually force it, but doing that can sometimes give you a different IP (as you have found).

It apparently depends on whether your area is short on "spare" IP addresses. If it is, then when you leave the CM off for a while (e.g. overnight), someone else might be assigned the IP you last had. If there are plenty of IPs to go around, then chances are you would get the same one back again next time you turn the CM on.

There is lots of good info on this at Robin Walker's CM tips site:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/dhcp.html#long

(it's where I found my above info ;) :) )

I'm using Black ice because I got it for free. I don't want to use XP's ICF until Sp2 is out, with that "upgrade" in it. (well, hopefully).

I'm thinking of getting a router though, any one know any GOOD ones? I got £40 to spend on one (including deleivery).

Thanks

As Mick said, Black Ice has a very bad rep.

There are other free firewalls available, which are rated much higher than Black Ice.

ZoneAlarm is very good, as is Sygate.

Here's a recent thread about free firewall software - http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=13163 (I'm sure there are other threads on the subject too).

Router.....

Howabout:

Linksys BEFSR41 - NAT router, with 4 port switch - £32.74 at Amazon.co.uk, with free delivery (http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00005KAC7/qid=1087343348/sr=1-5/ref=sr_1_11_5/202-0728475-9730213)

-or-

Linksys BEFW11S4 - NAT router, with wireless-B access point & 4 port switch - £36.62 at Amazon.co.uk, including free delivery (http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00005ARK3/qid=1087343348/sr=2-2/ref=sr_2_11_2/202-0728475-9730213)

jtwn
16-06-2004, 09:53
Just a guess, but on the broadjump cd (or whatever it is called), there is a program called newip.exe (i think).

Maybe that might help? :shrug:

Fubs
25-06-2004, 20:48
Your IP is NOT an "Easy Target", its probably receiving as many hack attempts as any other IP you may receive.

dapex
26-06-2004, 20:44
Hi all, does anyone know if it is possible to change an IP address or not. I know it wont stop hackers etc, but i do know that an ex friend of mine knows my ip address and i think he is trying to slow my connection down through various methods...

Cheers

paulyoung666
26-06-2004, 20:49
Hi all, does anyone know if it is possible to change an IP address or not. I know it wont stop hackers etc, but i do know that an ex friend of mine knows my ip address and i think he is trying to slow my connection down through various methods...

Cheers

uhhhhhhhh , hi and :welcome: to the site , did you read this thread before you posted , just wondering .................... :erm: :D :D :D

Pea-Pod
26-06-2004, 20:55
Is the XP Firewall sufficient at keeping out hackers and unwanted invitations from your PC. I've got the XP firewall turned on, but was wondering if I should get Zonealarm? :confused:

MetaWraith
26-06-2004, 21:32
Firewalls like most other software, you pay for what you get, ie paid for products will most likely be "better" or at least have have more features.

That said one of the better free ones is Agnitum's Outpost available here
http://www.agnitum.com/download/

Having said that, on one of my pc's i use the paid for version of BlackICE, but it's heavily configured and definitely not an "out of the box" setup. It's blocking all I want it block, and fully stealthed according to GRC's Shields Up.

You pay's your money, you takes your choice. If you are going to use a software firewall i'd do your own research (don't believe all you read by non and so called independant researchers / companies) and try several and keep the one that suits you.

JamesMurphy
27-06-2004, 13:41
If you want to change your IP change the MAC address of the device connected to your cable modem. It's the only sure way.
Hmm just wondering i have My PC connected to a Linkysys BEFSR41 router and was wondering if i was to change the mac address of this device it would change my WAN IP?
Thanks.

Matth
27-06-2004, 15:05
If you change the MAC, such as swapping Ethernet adapters, swapping between PCI card and their USB dongle, changing the MAC presented by a router (eg. from "spoof PC MAC" to default) or by specifying a LAA MAC on cards that support it -

You WILL have to go through the change procedure (mentioned earlier), and I'd say it's 99% certain that the IP address will change, since unles they are VERY short of addresses, the old address will remain associated with the old MAC, presumably for the length of the DHCP lease.

If you suspect that somebody/something IS targeting YOUR address - then forcing a change MIGHT help, but it certainly won't help you evade the general background level of junk packets - only concerted action by ISPs to deal with virus infected users will do that - but the worst offenders, tend to be in places where they just don't care.