PDA

View Full Version : Work Experience

MadGamer
14-06-2004, 22:51
Well, im off for the interview at Epping Forest College tommorow and i hope all goes well with that. Im going to be working in the IT department as computers are of my most interest and i know alot about them. Have to be there for 10:00am, and of course i know what sort of questions to ask such as:

1) What to wear
2) What the working hours are.
3) What sort of work will i be doing etc.

I actually start this Monday coming so that will be something to look forward to.

WNA

Florence
14-06-2004, 22:57
Congratulations WNA hope you have fun while there.

MadGamer
14-06-2004, 22:59
Congratulations WNA hope you have fun while there. Thanks :)

homealone
14-06-2004, 23:23
Well, im off for the interview at Epping Forest College tommorow and i hope all goes well with that. Im going to be working in the IT department as computers are of my most interest and i know alot about them. Have to be there for 10:00am, and of course i know what sort of questions to ask such as:

1) What to wear
2) What the working hours are.
3) What sort of work will i be doing etc.

I actually start this Monday coming so that will be something to look forward to.

WNA

hmm - an interview tomorrow, but you start on Monday, it sounds more like an induction ;)

re the questions, dress code is a good one, - working hours you only need to know when you start in the morning, don't give the impression you want to be off 'on the dot', everyday, I mean :)

- as for what you will be doing, let them show you, don't try to be, too clever, too soon ;)

- and like Kits said - have fun :)

MadGamer
14-06-2004, 23:24
hmm - an interview tomorrow, but you start on Monday, it sounds more like an induction ;)

re the questions, dress code is a good one, - working hours you only need to know when you start in the morning, don't give the impression you want to be off 'on the dot', everyday, I mean :)

- as for what you will be doing, let them show you, don't try to be, too clever, too soon ;)

- and like Kits said - have fun :) Ill try not to and thank you.

MadGamer
15-06-2004, 21:43
Well the interview was a success! :D Its based around office work so that means i get an ID badge and a temprery username and password to login to their system. Im also going to be answering the phone, filing photocopying etc. Can't wait. :D

homealone
15-06-2004, 22:34
Well the interview was a success! :D Its based around office work so that means i get an ID badge and a temprery username and password to login to their system. Im also going to be answering the phone, filing photocopying etc. Can't wait. :D

your enthusiasm does you credit, as usual - congratulations. :)

- make sure you write up, and get credit for, all your achievements, good luck! :cool:

MadGamer
15-06-2004, 23:07
your enthusiasm does you credit, as usual - congratulations. :)

- make sure you write up, and get credit for, all your achievements, good luck! :cool: Once again thank you and we do have to keep a diary of daily events.

MadGamer
21-06-2004, 17:19
Well the first day went really well, i did some PC work, photocopying, labelling, answering the phone. My employer found it a bit hectic as it was Monday morning.

Bex
21-06-2004, 17:53
Well the first day went really well, i did some PC work, photocopying, labelling, answering the phone. My emplyer found it a bit hectic as it was Monday morning.
monday mornings seem to be hectic everywhere :LOL:
glad it's going well..... i found work experience great... hope you enjoy it :)

paulyoung666
21-06-2004, 18:46
Well the first day went really well, i did some PC work, photocopying, labelling, answering the phone. My emplyer found it a bit hectic as it was Monday morning.

one bit of advice and i am not taking the p!ss, either get your spelling upto speed or use a spellchecker , believe me if you want to work in an office then you need to watch your typing , says me , probably on e of t he wors t culp rits o n the site :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

MadGamer
21-06-2004, 19:07
one bit of advice and i am not taking the p!ss, either get your spelling upto speed or use a spellchecker , believe me if you want to work in an office then you need to watch your typing , says me , probably on e of t he wors t culp rits o n the site :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Better for you? :D

paulyoung666
21-06-2004, 19:09
Better for you? :D

much better thank you , like i said i wasnt taking the p!ss , just making an observation :D :D :D :D

MadGamer
21-06-2004, 22:43
much better thank you , like i said i wasnt taking the p!ss , just making an observation :D :D :D :D I know you was only joking! Have a greeny. :D

Dave Stones
21-06-2004, 22:48
i remember my work experience, working at a big chemical engineer's near to me. i was in the health and safety department and on the first day they had an industrial accident that shut one entire plant down and got them into a bit of bother. of course me shadowing the health and safety manager means i had to go investigate it etc :erm:

i ended up with abuot £500 worth of safety gear that i "forgot" to return at the end of the fortnight too, oops :)

and then work shadowing at college, was at some company that built and installed computers for a living. you'd be amazed how boring building computers gets after a week... england lost a vital world cup match when i was there though so we spent one day all ****ed out of our heads and very angry :)

Proppinupthebar
21-06-2004, 22:58
I did Work experience for Uni, I worked at Drax Power Station in Selby, the largest coal fired power station in western Europe. I thoroughly enjoyed it (but there again I also got paid!). I was there for 5 months, 2 people died (nothing to do with me!), and I learnt a new programming language (Cutlass, a CEGB developed one).
I finished Uni and have had nothing to do with Programming since! Nothing to do with the work experience, but bear it in mind that all it is, its experience of a working enviroment.

Matthew
21-06-2004, 23:03
WNA how long is your work experience for? I start mine for 2 weeks on the 5th of July (it goes to the 16th July). I am working at the local council in their IT department and I can not wait. I will be going round some of the other council places servicing machines etc. I am to wear smart office atire according to my sheet but I am allowed to wear jeans and shirt as long as I am smart.
Homealone will probably know where I am going, down Highgate. It seems a nice enough place, I only had an informal chat on the phone.
We have got the diaries as well so I will let you know how it goes when I get on it. Not long now.

Maggy
21-06-2004, 23:04
My generation didn't do work experience.I regret that.It would have been very useful.

Incog. :)

Tezcatlipoca
21-06-2004, 23:17
Good luck with the work experience, Wayne. I hope you gain something from it :)

[I didn't from mine! Waste of 2 weeks :(]

homealone
21-06-2004, 23:25
WNA how long is your work experience for? I start mine for 2 weeks on the 5th of July (it goes to the 16th July). I am working at the local council in their IT department and I can not wait. I will be going round some of the other council places servicing machines etc. I am to wear smart office atire according to my sheet but I am allowed to wear jeans and shirt as long as I am smart.
Homealone will probably know where I am going, down Highgate. It seems a nice enough place, I only had an informal chat on the phone.
We have got the diaries as well so I will let you know how it goes when I get on it. Not long now.

yes, the Council Offices in Cleethorpes, only a couple of minutes walk from the beach - and Willie's, nice one ;)

<edit> of course you are too young to drink :monkey:

Matthew
22-06-2004, 16:25
yes, the Council Offices in Cleethorpes, only a couple of minutes walk from the beach - and Willie's, nice one ;)

<edit> of course you are too young to drink :monkey:
I wish. I'm going to meet up with a mate who is at the Volvo garage near Tesco and we are going to McDonalds or the chippy by the fire station every day.

Dave Stones
22-06-2004, 16:40
My generation didn't do work experience.I regret that.It would have been very useful.

all mine taught me was not to go to work drunk, it results in a bad afternoon :angel:

Matthew
22-06-2004, 22:33
Mine should be fun. The bloke who I spoke to on the phone seems alright. Just see how many free bits I get offered.

WNA how did your second day go?

On mine I have got to sign a confidentality clause (their version of the secrets act LOL).

Buxom_woman
24-06-2004, 02:20

Incog. :)I did mine in an office. Answering phones and tying telex's and filing etc.

That was a good few years ago tho. :p:
I found it useful for later years.

greencreeper
24-06-2004, 03:19
Work experience? Did time in a local library - torture. There was a list called the pink list (the irony) and you basically had to find the books on the list somewhere in the library. Nightmare. Did a month, I think, at a Drawing Office Supplies place in Armley, next door to the old asbestos factory - you might have heard about it on the news? Killed and killing loads. Anyway, the Drawing Office place did photocopying from A4 to A0 and scale reductions/enlargements. That's what I did all day - photocopy. At college I did a month with a company that made lifting gear - I was responsible for data entry. All I did was data entry. Nearly lost the will to live. You can only see so many job numbers before the giggling starts.

Chimaera
24-06-2004, 07:44
I can't complain about my work experience - it was at May and Baker in Dagenham in the Research Labs and lead to a full time job when I left school. (On a downside I met my ex there too! ;) )
The money was rubbish (the job not work experience!) but the training was good and I made many friends there that I still keep in contact with many years down the line. :)

greencreeper
24-06-2004, 10:14
I can't complain about my work experience - it was at May and Baker in Dagenham in the Research Labs and lead to a full time job when I left school. (On a downside I met my ex there too! ;) )
The money was rubbish (the job not work experience!) but the training was good and I made many friends there that I still keep in contact with many years down the line. :)

You got money? :shocked: Most I got was enough to buy a bag of chips at lunch time.

dilli-theclaw
24-06-2004, 10:18
I did work experience at a cell phone (mobile phone) equipment manufacturor place....

It was great - they designed and made the parts that operate the cells on the network.

I even designed the volume knob on their new box :) - my claim to fame.....

Other than that I was doing design work on their cad system and testing various mobile phones (well technically mobile - but were a bit on the large side).

dilli-theclaw
24-06-2004, 10:19
You got money? :shocked: Most I got was enough to buy a bag of chips at lunch time.
I got given a computer :D

Kaworu_nagisa
24-06-2004, 12:11
Good luck on work experience mate. My Work experience was bad....(tesco)

gazzae
24-06-2004, 12:13
My work experience at school was spent at an outdoor education centre.

I spent my week kayaking and climbing.

Stuart
24-06-2004, 12:20
(On a downside I met my ex there too! ;) )

Yeah, but you eventually recovered from that...

WNA, hope you enjoy the work experience. I have done work experience twice.

Once, at school, we were encouraged in the final weeks of our fifth (I think) year to spend a couple of weeks doing a job. I helped design and install my School's computer network.. Great fun. I learned a lot about networking (so it helped me technically) and, the best bit, for me was that I had to do a lot of drilling, and had unrestricted access to all the classrooms (on the orders of the school head, so teachers couldn't stop me).

The fun part was when I went into my old Geography teacher's class (I hated him) and tried to drill into masonery with the wrong bit, The drill screamed and deafened everyone.. The other fun part is when we were testing the network, my friend and I had a chat program running. He was sitting in our computer room, and I was going round the classroom block with a computer and plugging it into the sockets in each room. He suddenly started pretending to be one of the teachers and telling me off for wasting school resources, without realising that that teacher he was impersonating was standing behind me.

The other time I have done work experience actually led to the job I have now..

Derek
24-06-2004, 12:25
Mine was fantastic, working in BT's Scottish network operations centre and getting a chance to play around with the exchanges.

If only I'd thought of the fun I could have had at the time.

Marge
24-06-2004, 12:53
Mine was an horrendous experience, somehow I'd got the idea I wanted to work with children :erm: so I did two weeks in a nursery.

Suffice to say many years later the scars are still with me and I'm still childless :D :D :D :Sprint:

Stuart
24-06-2004, 13:11
Mine was an horrendous experience, somehow I'd got the idea I wanted to work with children :erm: so I did two weeks in a nursery.

Suffice to say many years later the scars are still with me and I'm still childless :D :D :D :Sprint:
So, you're not in a hurry to have any then?

MadGamer
24-06-2004, 13:25
Work Experience is going great so far. They have kept me very busy with answering phones, spreadsheets, filing etc. All going great.

Bifta
24-06-2004, 13:41
I did work experience for my old mans company, ended up chopping wood for a whole week ... as it turned out it wasn't exactly useful as I'm never ended up as a lumberjack.

Bex
24-06-2004, 15:57
i did two weeks work in a primary school when i was in year eleven
and a week in a secondary school when i was in the lower sixth.

decided i didn't want to work with primary school kids.

Matthew
24-06-2004, 20:59
We are not allowed to work with family as they could get us a good report and the school wants a true report. If a member of your family works at the same place but does not have any influence on the report then you are ok.

If we do not find anywhere for work experience we have to spend 10 says in school and if we get chucked out of the job we have to come back to school.

I wonder if I will get anything free?

I'm playing with the whole local council's network so that shall be fun. I wonder how many times I can bring that down? Only joking!

Chimaera
24-06-2004, 21:01
I'm playing with the whole local council's network so that shall be fun. I wonder how many times I can bring that down? Only joking!
Don't joke - if it's anything like the council where I work it won't take very much at all! :rolleyes:
But try your best all the same ;)

Maggy
24-06-2004, 21:07
We are not allowed to work with family as they could get us a good report and the school wants a true report. If a member of your family works at the same place but does not have any influence on the report then you are ok.

If we do not find anywhere for work experience we have to spend 10 says in school and if we get chucked out of the job we have to come back to school.

I wonder if I will get anything free?

If one goes for a private placement one can work with family.There are no hard and fast rules to this.

I managed to get my daughter to do her work experience with her publisher aunt in London.

She was away from home staying with her aunt and had the experience of making her way to work on the underground every working day for two weeks.

I have heard of one private placement where one girl went to work for her father in New York. :D The school most assuredly did not disaprove.

Ramrod
24-06-2004, 21:10
My work experience (20+) years ago :shocked: , was with a solicitors firm at Grays Inn. It consisted of 2 weeks (or was it 1 week?) of photocopying legal papers and carrying them round to various courts. I got lots of experience at being a dogsbody :zzz:

Maggy
24-06-2004, 21:21
My work experience (20+) years ago :shocked: , was with a solicitors firm at Grays Inn. It consisted of 2 weeks (or was it 1 week?) of photocopying legal papers and carrying them round to various courts. I got lots of experience at being a dogsbody :zzz:

You know I wish I had had work experience.Maybe I wouldn't have become a teacher. ;)

Matthew
24-06-2004, 21:22
Incoqnitas even if we get a self placement if cannot be with family. It is the rules of work experience in this area.

Maggy
24-06-2004, 21:28
Incoqnitas even if we get a self placement if cannot be with family. It is the rules of work experience in this area.

Hardly realistic though.It is hard enough getting enough placements as it is and round here(Portsmouth/Fareham/Gosport the staff are more than happy if pupils can find their own placements.After all works experience isn't a test or an exam.It's just to give an experience and flavour of the working world and perhaps give a realistic viewpoint for some pupils so they know what they DON'T want to do in the future.One can't really fail work experience only let one's self (and one's school) down.

I've an awful thought-Can you fail work experience where you are?I hope not as that's another added pressure for 14-16 year olds that they DON'T need.

Matthew
24-06-2004, 22:53
Two of the other schools in the area who are in a differnt area (if you get what I mean) are told to find their own which makes it difficult for us sometimes as the places just go.

I do not really care what happens now as long as I have my place.

Damien
25-06-2004, 14:10
I got given a computer :D

really?

dilli-theclaw
25-06-2004, 14:11
really?
Yup - it was a while ago tho remember.... But it was still my first PC - it was an old 486 dx4 100 - nice (at the time).

MadGamer
03-07-2004, 14:55
Work experience went really well. I had to read the Data Protection Act because of confidential details on thier system.

Paul
03-07-2004, 15:32
Mine was at .......... nowhere.

We didn't do work experience, I guess it must be a more recent invention.

Matthew
11-07-2004, 20:20
I have done one week already with the Schools support section and it is great. I have managed to claim a large computer server case which weighs a ton.

On Monday I start down in corportate. It looks do boring down there. I wish I could stay with schools, at least I get to go out everyday.

Bifta
11-07-2004, 21:25
Mine was at .......... nowhere.

We didn't do work experience, I guess it must be a more recent invention.

Not that recent ;) My work experience was in 1984

dr wadd
11-07-2004, 21:42
Hardly realistic though.It is hard enough getting enough placements as it is and round here(Portsmouth/Fareham/Gosport the staff are more than happy if pupils can find their own placements.

Do they not have Project Trident in that area any more? When I went to senior school (Cams Hill in Fareham) it was a big thing in the local schools, with all manner of local companies taking part. Everyone one their 4th year did three weeks work experience, and there certainly wasn`t a shortage of places. I suppose it was 20 years ago.

Damien
11-07-2004, 22:09
Work experience went really well. I had to read the Data Protection Act because of confidential details on thier system.

Fun

Paul
11-07-2004, 22:17
Not that recent ;) My work experience was in 1984

I left School in 1979 ;)

Damien
11-07-2004, 22:40
I left School in 1979 ;)

Left two years ago! I am younger than you then.....WooHoo :D

Paul
11-07-2004, 23:15
Left two years ago! I am younger than you then.....WooHoo :D

You weren't even born in 1979. :dozey:

MadGamer
11-07-2004, 23:22
Fun
Yes it was.

Damien
12-07-2004, 08:43

EVen better

dilli-theclaw
12-07-2004, 08:44
I was tho - Now I feel old again :Yikes:

Electrolyte01
12-07-2004, 08:53
Heh, my work experience was helping my school's network administrator, hard job maintaining a network for a school I'm telling you, there's always problems at one room, you fix that then another pops up. It's a nightmare! :( Well, got an old IBM P1 150mhz laptop from it though, flogged it too :D

Maggy
12-07-2004, 12:11

I was! I had been teaching for 6 years and there...were...no...computers....in...schools let alone work experience. :)

Matthew
23-07-2004, 08:01
Well I finished my work experience on the 16/07/04 and I really enjoyed it. Some people think that it is boring and some don't (like me). On Monday (19/07) when we back to school for two days I thought is there any point in coming back to school when we could be out in the local area doing other types of work.

For anyone who is going to be doing work experience in the future make sure you pick something you think you can do, enjoy what ever you do and do not complain. Make sure you arrive on time and are dressed smartly.

It gives you an experience of what the work world is really like.

Maggy
23-07-2004, 08:05
Well I finished my work experience on the 16/07/04 and I really enjoyed it. Some people think that it is boring and some don't (like me). On Monday (19/07) when we back to school for two days I thought is there any point in coming back to school when we could be out in the local area doing other types of work.

For anyone who is going to be doing work experience in the future make sure you pick something you think you can do, enjoy what ever you do and do not complain. Make sure you arrive on time and are dressed smartly.

It gives you an experience of what the work world is really like.

Glad you enjoyed it and got so much from the experience.I envy you for the chance I never had. :)

Matthew
23-07-2004, 12:25
I am now on my summer holidays but I would rather be back working 9 - 5. It's proably one of the best experiences I have ever had.

Chris
23-07-2004, 12:26
I am now on my summer holidays but I would rather be back working 9 - 5. It's proably one of the best experiences I have ever had.

Not so fast ... enjoy your long summer hols while they last, you have a lifetime of 9-5 ahead of you and you won't get six weeks holiday in an entire year, never mind all at once!

paulyoung666
23-07-2004, 12:27

nice and refreshing to see someone who actually wants to work and not slob about , what was the work experience btw :)