PDA

View Full Version : Signal to modem

Rough.D
14-06-2004, 20:17
HI Folks got a problem that ntl dont seem to be able to fix well not yet

I have an old terayon CM no problem with the modem

The problem as I see it is the cable light goes out on the odd occassion takeing me of the internet as I do not reveive a signal to the modem.

Giving ntl cs its dues they did all they could and said that the signal stregnth I was getting was within the set parameters.

But still no signal to the modem an engineer has been out and checked every thing out and all was fine but Still no signal :(

its been on and off for about 6 weeks now. Just latley its almost been a daily thing :(
It goes of for upto 4 - 5 hours at a time :( then comes back on Like Now so I got to be quick with this incase it goes again

As you can see I live in Swindon yet I am on a Birmingham router :(

Any one had this before and has anyone got any ideas as to why this keeps happening

carlingman
15-06-2004, 00:26
HI Folks got a problem that ntl dont seem to be able to fix well not yet

I have an old terayon CM no problem with the modem

The problem as I see it is the cable light goes out on the odd occassion takeing me of the internet as I do not reveive a signal to the modem.

Giving ntl cs its dues they did all they could and said that the signal stregnth I was getting was within the set parameters.

But still no signal to the modem an engineer has been out and checked every thing out and all was fine but Still no signal :(

its been on and off for about 6 weeks now. Just latley its almost been a daily thing :(
It goes of for upto 4 - 5 hours at a time :( then comes back on Like Now so I got to be quick with this incase it goes again

As you can see I live in Swindon yet I am on a Birmingham router :(

Any one had this before and has anyone got any ideas as to why this keeps happening

Hi Rough D,

On and off for 6 weeks seems appauling service.

Cable Light Dropping though is def an NTL Problem although as to why they cannot diagnose that is bemusing.

When the Engineer comes I guess it is at times when it is working or has he left any attenuators etc.

Have you tried the Docs Diag from here (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/signal.html#teradiag)

That will not solve the problem but you may be able to grab dump of the power levels when the Modem drops the connection and point them in the right direction.

As for the Birmingham router when you live in Swindon :confused: :confused: although my geography is not great but surely Swindon is in Wiltshire and not even close to Birmingham more near to to even Oxford UBR or even the Reading UBR.

To confirm that take a look here (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/ipaddr.html#ubrip)

From memory I think one of the guys here "justanothernoob" works for NTL and may be able to offer some further guidance if you were to give your Mac Address of the modem.

:D

Rough.D
15-06-2004, 14:49
Got home today at about 14:10 and guess what no cable light :(

I am waiting for an engineer who as you said will come out and its ok at the moment. so he will go away saying it is working or so he thinks. ;)
Last time an engineer came out it was down but he could not find any fault with the modem or cabling to the nearest junction box :shrug:

yep the oxford router is closer and thats the one I used to be on untill one of their service upgrades HUH (Downgrade more like)

At the moment those links aint working for me :(
probably NTHELL

I will look at them laters

Cheers
R.D.

SMHarman
15-06-2004, 15:10
Is this an owned SACM? You could ask NTL to replace it with a NTL120 and see if that makes a difference, or are you still recieving the owned modem discount.

Chris W
15-06-2004, 15:44
Is this an owned SACM? You could ask NTL to replace it with a NTL120 and see if that makes a difference, or are you still recieving the owned modem discount.

It would be an ntl 200 modem now, but TBH if it is a signal problem that isn't likely to make any difference.

Rough.D
15-06-2004, 16:04
They have tryed other modems with no luck :(

Suppose all I can do at the moment is see what this engineer has to say.

should be here soon I hope.

Being as it is an inermitant fault I do not hold out much luck :(

mmm
15-06-2004, 20:20
I'm sure I have a similar issue (with a Terayon), but have limped along without having to call out an engineer since the problem I had straight after installation.

I bet it is the upstream which is an issue, the engineers that come out only seem to know how to check the downstream - by plugging in a signal strength meter on the common downstream frequency. Tech support can look at the upstream remotely or you can with DOCSDIAG, and yes this wonders around due to weather/ temperature etc. Basically if the line is poor/ noisy the modem has to shout louder to get heard at the UBR. As the up and down are significantly differrent frequency ranges poor connections/ noise ingress can be very differrent.

I have to run with a very high downstream (+15) to keep the upstream below +50, and the supplied 6dB attenuator has mysteriously gone missing! Big step changes happen when ntl have 'resegmented' my area which has happened twice, before the second time the upstream fell to about +40.

I've also even suggested to ntl that my modem is having to connect to the wrong UBR (because they have my postcode wrong), but hey this has only be going on for 3 years and this is ntl we are talking about!

Rough.D
15-06-2004, 21:03
As you said mmm it is an upstream problem the engineer came out and remembered the problem and the checks along with his diagnoses.
He will be getting onto the network engineers in his report.

If they came out last time to check the network in my area it would show all was good as the signal came back that night. So when the looked it would show good readings.

Now I want them to do a thorough check. And the only way of telling if they have done this is by me not getting this fault again.

Some chance of that

Rough.D
02-07-2004, 16:51
Well a few weeks have past now with 4 engineers coming out and getting the same results.
And coming to the same conclusion THAT it is a network issue.

All of the engineers have spoken to the network girls (I would use stronger language but not on here) and they say it is not a network problem.

In fact the last engineer that game out said I am not the only one in this area with the same problem so surely even a child could tell these girls that it is a network issue.

As for the UBR we have been on the Birmingham one for about 5 months now due to the overloading of the Oxford UBR.
I would rather be on an overcrowded one that works rather than one that only works now and then.

It looks as if NTHELL could be losing another customer (phone, BB, and telly) if one goes they all go.
But what the engineer was saying earlier is that I am not alone in that way of thinking.

The whole of Swindon could be going over to a new BB supplier Now wouldnââ‚Ã⠀šÃ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢t that wake them up lmao.

MetaWraith
02-07-2004, 17:08
I think i've heard this story before.
Now where was it ...............?
Oh yeah, my own domicile.
Engineer came out today, saw that connection was, as luck would have it working and went away again. He briefly looked at my docsys results and the modem status page, said everything was fine and left. In and out within 2 minutes. Leaving me feeling dischuffed. Broadband alternative identifed and ordered soon dispelled that :-)

mmm
02-07-2004, 19:14
You need an 'engineer' to fix yours like mine (3 years ago), boost the signal tremendously (by moving the cable connection in the green box), then fit an attenuator that you can take out. If the downstream was reduced to 0dB then the upstream would be saturated @ +58 and I get a lot of disconnects. As you can see it works fine like this...

jview /cp docsdiag.jar docsdiag -cmip 10.150.67.57 -cmmac 0xxxx -v

DocsDiag v030720 Copyright 2001-3 Robin Walker rdhw@cam.ac.uk

Terayon DOCSIS Cable Modem: <<HW_REV: 6.62; VENDOR: Terayon; BOOTR: NONE; SW_REV
: 1.7.14; MODEL: >>

System up time = 8 days 21h 40m 19.89s

Ethernet single-collision errs.1 = 987
Ethernet multiple-collision errs.1 = 945
Downstream channel ID = 0
Downstream channel frequency = 402750000 Hz
Downstream received signal power = 13.5 dBmV
Upstream channel ID = 1
Upstream channel frequency = 33584000 Hz
Upstream timing offset = 13149 units of (6.25/64) microseconds
QoS max upstream bandwidth = 64000 bps
QoS max downstream bandwidth = 150000 bps
SigQu: received without error = 1512992529 codewords
SigQu: correctable errors = 1137 codewords
SigQu: uncorrectable errors = 4 codewords
SigQu: Signal to Noise Ratio = 34.1 dB
SigQu: microreflections = 24 dBc
Cable modem status = Operational
Upstream transmit signal power = 48.2 dBmV
Number of interface resets = 0
Downstream sync losses = 0
Invalid MAP msgs received = 0
Invalid UCD msgs received = 0
Invalid Ranging Responses rcvd = 0
Invalid Registration Resps rcvd = 0
T1 timer expiries = 0
T2 timer expiries = 0
T3 timer expiries = 8
T4 timer expiries = 0
Ranging Aborts = 0
Tx mini-slots used (contended).2733 = 0
Tx mini-slots used (dedicated).2733 = 195503078
Tx data re-tries.2733 = 0
Tx data retry limit exceeded.2733 = 0
Tx bandwidth req retries.2733 = 1508816
Tx bw req retry lim exceeded.2733 = 78732
Date and Time = 2004-07-02,18:08:38.0+00:00
Configuration filename = tera210x-bronze.cm

Rough.D
02-07-2004, 19:43
I forgot to mention that on one of the visits they changed me modem for an ntl home 200.

It droped its connection today for about 45mins :(

mmm
02-07-2004, 20:23
What is the SNR and upstream as per

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/signal.html#ntlhmdiags

?

nufcfan123
03-07-2004, 02:41
welcome to my world Rough.D (member.php?u=1425)

Rough.D
03-07-2004, 08:40
Well it went down again last night in the middle of some gaming :(

I am now getting an engineer out today to fit an attenuator.

mmm
I could not get any info from that page :(

But last night I got ntl to change my UBR t osee if that made any difference but it did not so I am back onto the Birmingham UBR.

Lets see what this attenuator does for me.

Chris W
03-07-2004, 10:23
But last night I got ntl to change my UBR t osee if that made any difference but it did not so I am back onto the Birmingham UBR.

I very much doubt that they changed your UBR...

Rough.D
03-07-2004, 11:22
This is possible :(

Hopefully this attenuator will sort out the problem once and for all

MikeyB
04-07-2004, 10:12
Hello there,

Sorry to hear about your troubles Rough.D
I too am in Swindon, and go via Birmingham (....brhm.cable.ntl.com) but never have any problems like you describe (oh dear, thats blown it!)

Rough.D
04-07-2004, 11:14
Hi MikeyB
Glad to hear you are not having the same probs as I am its been a right royal pain.

The engineer told me that there is a problem in the SN3 area of swindon :(
as the callout rate for modem problems has increased some 10 fold.

So far so good on a fix my signal was weak so he has boosted it from the box in the street and put in an attenuator (I think) its a filter of sorts lol
Its now a matter of waiting to see if it goes off again.

mmm
04-07-2004, 18:17
This is possible :(

Hopefully this attenuator will sort out the problem once and for all

I'm pretty sure the uBR is a local thing, that your local fibre connects to, don't see how this can be changed. Other things can be changed such as web proxy DHCP server etc.

My uBR is just an Ip address, no name

Tracing route to www.ntlworld.com [62.253.162.30]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 350 ms 498 ms 643 ms my-uBR [10.150.71.254]
2 116 ms 604 ms 455 ms oxfd-t2cam1-a-ge95.inet.ntl.com [213.106.246.13]
3 336 ms 427 ms 250 ms oxfd-t2cam1-b-v99.inet.ntl.com [213.106.247.10]
4 402 ms 251 ms 632 ms oxfd-t2core-b-ge-wan61.inet.ntl.com [213.106.245.165]
5 401 ms 467 ms 248 ms bre-bb-b-so-700-0.inet.ntl.com [62.253.187.13]
6 340 ms 289 ms 406 ms win-bb-a-so-400-0.inet.ntl.com [213.105.172.233]
7 317 ms 449 ms 245 ms win-dc-a-v900.inet.ntl.com [62.253.188.162]
8 384 ms 227 ms 212 ms www.ntlworld.com [62.253.162.30]

What you are connected to is given by the name of your Ip address, ie my (munged) is

cpc1-oxfd4-3-0-custxx.oxfd.cable.ntl.com

which I'm sure an ntl tech could decode to the location

NB they should boost the signal at the cabinet then fit a Forward Pass Attenuator, so only the downstream is attenuated, not your return path.