PDA

View Full Version : Lost Default Gateway

cichlid
14-06-2004, 14:27
I'm sure (and hoping) this has been mentioned before but can't find anything. I saw this on a friends setup about a year ago and all they can tell me it's been resolved (and don't remember how/when).
Occasionally (ok, so far at least once a week) I'd come back to my computer to read my mail or something. The machine would probably be in the middle of a download or MSN would be open (rarely is it turned off). For some reason all connections are dead. Quick check for erros - none. Check IP config - yep still have an IP address. For some reason though it is impossible to ping the default gateway - effectively disabling your connection.
The only way to get it flowing again is to reboot the modem. Not such a big deal - but it shouldn't be happening.
Has anyone seen this or a solution? I haven't spoke to Tech Support yet because I don't think they'll help ("reboot the modem, see it's working now, goodbye sir" was all my friend got told a year ago) or they are unable to help - it may well be something in my set up - who knows?
Any help appreciated - mostly because I'm puzzled by it :dozey:

JonathanLH
14-06-2004, 20:16
i too get this now and then with the ntl 200 modem, it happens if i upload lots of data for about 10 seconds continuously from at least 10 different connections, the modem's upload light then goes off, and the download light flashes occasionally.
the only solution is to restart the cable modem, i imagine it happens when the modem's buffer gets full.
i also have an ntl 120 modem that does the same thing (2 lines at this address)

cichlid
14-06-2004, 20:56
I'm gettin a bit tired of rebooting the modem (it can't be good for it). I'd like to find out what is causing it. I've only seen it on NTL and if you happen to use USB to connect the modem I've found that it needs a reboot of the PC to correct (rather than just rebooting the modem - release and renew does nothing). Seeing this on different systems and modems must mean it's not my PC.
Any of the tech guys from NTL that browse around here got any suggestions?

Chris W
14-06-2004, 21:00
what happens if you do

ipconfig /release then
ipconfig /renew (ipconfig /renew_all for win98/me)

in a dos prompt when the connection drops? does this bring the connection back up again or does it generate an error message? if so what is it?

cichlid
14-06-2004, 21:11
It does nothing (I'm on XP - have seen it on other XP and 2000 machines) - you can still ping your IP address but not the default gateway.
Someone once mentioned Kazza causing it but I don't put much reliance on their expertise and I don't use Kazza anyway.
If it's any help - I would notice this more at the weekend - strange but true.

Chris W
14-06-2004, 21:19
are you using a router?

when you say it does nothing, do you mean that nothing happens or that it just brings back the same ip address with no error?

EDIT: and BTW :welcome: to the site :D

cichlid
14-06-2004, 21:39
Sorry, should have given a bit more info really.
On my own (current machine) I have no router/switch - It's quite literally a crossover cable betweent the PC and modem. No firewall and (i can hear the 'WOT's from here) no antivirus software.
Literally does nothing, nadda - sits lookin at you (like its tryin real hard). End up closing the cmd window and bouncing the modem. It always comes back no problem.

PS - I have a knack of finding weird problems like this. Usually I get to the bottom of them, eventually :dunce:

Matth
14-06-2004, 21:56
Did it to me today on STB!
If you release/renew, you end up with a 169.whatever APIPA no DHCP address - only thing that works is rebooting the box.

Chris W
14-06-2004, 21:59
when the connection drops can you acess the configuration page of the modem? (http://192.168.100.1)

if you need the username and password, they are root and root.

try it when the connection is working because it doesn't always work. Depends on the modem.

Ignition
14-06-2004, 22:28
Losing default gateway does without fail indicate an issue with cable connection itself - if you wish give me your IP address and I'll be happy to check your return path power levels (these things are almost always return path probs) to exclude any fault at the low levels.

The other chance is that this is a DHCP fault however due to the way the leases run and are renewed by default by windows when they have run only 50% of their total length it's unlikely to be this as DHCPs usually work 100% or not at all.

In any event if you want me to check this out I'll be more than happy to - I have somewhat more access than regular technical support and can usually assist in ways that due to their access they cannot.

cichlid
15-06-2004, 10:58
I'll PM the IP address.
Cheers.

cichlid
16-06-2004, 10:04
Thanks for checking the return paths.
It's happened this morning again. Had a bit torrent download running overnight. When I came in this morning it had died during the night (no idea when)
Below is the text of my efforts to get it working (actually got assigned the same ip again).

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>ipconfig

Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 81.103.24.nnn

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 81.103.24.254

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>ping 81.103.24.254

Pinging 81.103.24.254 with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out.

Request timed out.

Request timed out.

Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 81.103.24.254:

Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>ipconfig /release

Windows IP Configuration

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>ipconfig /renew

Windows IP Configuration

An error occurred while renewing interface Local Area Connection : unable to con

tact your DHCP server. Request has timed out.

Windows IP Configuration

Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.53.10

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0

MODEM REBOOTED HERE

Windows IP Configuration

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.100.10

Windows IP Configuration

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 81.103.24.nnn

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 81.103.24.254

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>

cichlid
16-06-2004, 10:07
PPS - just also checked my expire date on the IP address. Should it not give me the address for a full 24 hours?
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 62.254.32.21
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 194.168.4.100
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 16 June 2004 09:48:34
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 17 June 2004 04:16:48

Chris W
16-06-2004, 11:33
<snip>

next time the connection drops, unscrew the coaxial cable and leave it out for a half minute or so. While it is out you should get the ip 192.168.100.10. Then if you replace the coax, does the modem lock back onto it's signal, or does it still need the reboot?

When you lose connection, does the modem light sequence change at all?

cichlid
16-06-2004, 11:49
I'll have to see when it next happens - far as I can tell the lights flahs away apparently normal - I'll double check next time. My try some monitoring software - anyone any suggestions?

cichlid
17-06-2004, 10:27
Folks it happened again this morning. I kinda expect it to. Looks like it's a DHCP problem.
When I checked the machine this morning, no connection. Tried the 'unscrew cable' suggestion but that didn't make any difference.
Had wondered about the lease that I got yesterday and half expected to get a problem after 4am.

Event log details.

17/06/2004 05.20.35

Source †“ DHCP

Event ID †“ 1003

Type †“ Warning

Your computer was not able to renew its address from the network (from the DHCP Server) for the Network Card with network address 000D87D3C452. The following error occurred:

The semaphore timeout period has expired. . Your computer will continue to try and obtain an address on its own from the network address (DHCP) server.

Modem rebooted and got IP address with a lease of 17th @ 09.20.07 until 18th @ 07.04.26

So I'm expecting this to happen tomorrow morning again.
Is the lease time normally 22hours?

Paul
17-06-2004, 17:12
You appear to be blocking dhcp renew requests - do you have a firewall running ?

cichlid
17-06-2004, 17:16
Can't be blocked (by me anyway) - I've a straight set up. XP Pro PC with cross over cable into the back of the cable modem. No Firewall (not even XP firewall). No Antivirus. I've set it like this intentionally so there is nothing to interfere or nothing that can be claimed to be unsupported.

cichlid
18-06-2004, 09:23
Update - Lease expired at 7am this morning.
Looks like it acquired a new address at 8am (no problems this time) and has been given it for a full 24 hours now.
Honestly, I've changed nothing on my machine.
At the minute I wouldn't call this an always on service.

cichlid
18-06-2004, 11:24
Ok, I'm really startin to get annoyed with this. :fit:
Although the DHCP renewal worked this morning - at 11:10 today my internet connection just died. Same problem. Rebooted the modem and eventually it gave me the same address with expiry of 8am tomorrow.

poolking
18-06-2004, 11:58
You know you are asking for trouble with no firewall or AV software, not much help here, as I'm stating the obvious.

Stop It
19-06-2004, 01:12
Update - Lease expired at 7am this morning.
Looks like it acquired a new address at 8am (no problems this time) and has been given it for a full 24 hours now.
Honestly, I've changed nothing on my machine.
At the minute I wouldn't call this an always on service.
*I may be wrong* About the DHCP lease, if you disconnect and reconnect within a lease, you get the lease back, until it expires, it *shouldnt* renew it, hence you dont get 24 hours.

Anyway, not using virus software or a firewall is frankly asking for it, before you do anything go to http://housecall.trendmicro.com and do a scan, if you're clean, try to change from USB/Ethernet or vice versa, and see if it still drops, if So, get a brick, tie it to modem, you know the rest. :p

cichlid
19-06-2004, 11:16
Having no firewall or AV software is not as big a problem as people may think. I've used a PC's without AV software for a couple of years and been ok (honetly, ya just have to be careful). Having a firewall only complicates things and only seems to be of benefit to people who are running services or who aren't that computer literate.
I would never be so reliant on my PC that any attack can be fixed in 10 minutes (reboot and insert Ghost image) or someone may see sensitive info (ok, theres a picture of my pet fish on the machine somewhere and maybe my Mums phone number). Really depends what you want your PC for though.
Ah well, looks like once again I've found another weird one that won't go away easily :)

Stuartbe
19-06-2004, 11:22
No AV or firewall :Yikes:

No there's a brave man.... You may not have any sensitive information on the computer but it would be very easy for someone to install a trojan on your pc and use you as a spam relay or worse download nasty files of the web. If the activity is tracked then it is you that will be held responsible.

Sorry to preach doom and gloom but you realy DO need to install at least an antivirus software package ! There are loads of free packages - Try here http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=6152

cichlid
19-06-2004, 12:03
I'm considering changing my nick to 'barebackonthenet' ;)
Apprecaite all the advice on free AV and stuff but to be honest I will never install it on this machine. I may at some point sort out a firewall but not before I can sort out this issue with the connection. In my opinion AV software just gets in the way and wastes resources and I've never needed it excpet to sort out other peoples PCs although I wouldn't recommend this action to anyone else unless they know how to reclaim their machine without help. It's not impossible, ya just have to be carefull :)

Ignition
19-06-2004, 22:39
I'm considering changing my nick to 'barebackonthenet' ;)
Apprecaite all the advice on free AV and stuff but to be honest I will never install it on this machine. I may at some point sort out a firewall but not before I can sort out this issue with the connection. In my opinion AV software just gets in the way and wastes resources and I've never needed it excpet to sort out other peoples PCs although I wouldn't recommend this action to anyone else unless they know how to reclaim their machine without help. It's not impossible, ya just have to be carefull :)

*strokes his hardware firewall and AV :angel:

JonathanLH
19-06-2004, 22:54
i do not run anti-virus or firewall either (admitadly since i got a router a while back to run more computers i have a hardware one anyway) as they just get in the way of things, and since i work in computers for a living for business consultancy (which ironically involves recommending firewalls and anti-virus) i like to think i know what i'm doing :)

Stop It
20-06-2004, 01:02
Having no firewall or AV software is not as big a problem as people may think. I've used a PC's without AV software for a couple of years and been ok (honetly, ya just have to be careful). Having a firewall only complicates things and only seems to be of benefit to people who are running services or who aren't that computer literate.
I would never be so reliant on my PC that any attack can be fixed in 10 minutes (reboot and insert Ghost image) or someone may see sensitive info (ok, theres a picture of my pet fish on the machine somewhere and maybe my Mums phone number). Really depends what you want your PC for though.
Ah well, looks like once again I've found another weird one that won't go away easily :)
I thought my pc was ok without AV for about 3 months after I got ntl cable, until everything started going slow....... I tried a free virus scanner and found no less than 53 virii (Ok only 7 seperate ones) on my pc, since then ive always kept a Firewall and Anti virus, they really use little system resources and are worth it, just in case, :P

inthewildteam
20-06-2004, 01:15
How about downloading Knoppix Linux, burning it to CD and booting into it from your bios settings and see if you still have the same problem with disconnects?

It runs from the CD without touching your Windoze settings, might be able to get a handle on the problem if both op systems suffer the same problem with lease expiry........ or not!

cichlid
20-06-2004, 12:14
ah Jonathan, I thought I was alone :)
I have Fedora Core on another partition but I couldn't run it for a few days to test as some of the software I use isn't available on Linux (they won't even consider a port). Besides, I seem to remeber when I signed up to ntl the person on the phone saying, "It is a Windows PC Sir isn't it?"
The DHCP renewal (I'm starting to think) might be a coincidence as the last time this happened I was sitting at the machine 11am with expiration of the next day.

JonathanLH
20-06-2004, 15:48
the "easiest" thing to do is to try your internet connection on another pc, just to completely determine (unless it's power issue?) that it's an ntl problem or not.

cichlid
20-06-2004, 17:43
I don't think it's my machine - I've seen it at a friends house a while ago but never found out what the resolution was (they just said it's not happening any more). The only common thing is they they were on NTL BB as well. It could be something specific to Belfast though.

JonathanLH
20-06-2004, 18:35
when it does go wrong does the D/S light on your CM flash now and then, while your U/S light does nothing at all?
this is what happens for me when mine crashes (which i've worked out how to make it do it whenever i want now using about 100 connections and a lot of uploading on each one to another server on the internet i own).
(only fix is to power-cycle the modem, ipconfig/renew will not fix it, but the pc does keep the wan ip address, it just doesn't actually work)

cichlid
20-06-2004, 19:51
Yep, power cycling the modem is the only solution (reboot of the pc does nothing). That's my point though. Why do I have to reboot the modem to stay always on? It might as well be a super duper fast as hell dial up modem that disconnects after two hours idle time.
Can I total up the time I've been disconnected and ask NTL for a rebate?

JonathanLH
20-06-2004, 19:59
in order to try and claim cash back from NTL, i imagine you'd have to prove that it is their fault, and they'd have to agree to that.
you could try and get a replacement cable modem if tech support will let you.

nicks0r
25-06-2004, 22:38
cichlid,

I have been dealing with this problem for a good part of the last month... tried everything I could think of.

I think I finally traced it back to bittorrent, I closed down my client and my connection remained stable. I tried a diff client and it starts all over again. Haven't used BT all week and haven't had any problems. I connected to it briefly the other day and sure enough I lost my connection shortley thereafter (same semaphore timeout error).

Anyways if your running a BT client that could be it, I still haven't figured out exactly why thats causing the problem, but atleast I have found the root.

What ISP are you using? I am on oceanic rr.

cichlid
01-07-2004, 14:01
Bittorrent is a red herring. I've seen it on a machine with a completely different set up. I'm beginning to think that the NTL branded modems that they supply are k-wrap / insufficient / unstable. It has happened when using bittorrent but has also happened at other times. Must go and check out the specs of these modems (if I can) to see exactly what they are capable of.

spudson0
26-02-2006, 21:34
I have been having the same problem for ten days now - it started when i was on bear share i have all kinds of problems since . I contacted telewest who told me it was basically my fault.
i have got really fed up of constantly pulling the power lead out of the webstar modem .
I had a look on the http://192.168.100.1
it gave me some very interesting information from my modems log
i had BPI flash : The mfg CA Cert not found
DHCP warning - non critical field invalid in response
can any one help - telewest are insisting it is me

monkey2468
26-02-2006, 21:40
I have been having the same problem for ten days now - it started when i was on bear share i have all kinds of problems since . I contacted telewest who told me it was basically my fault.
i have got really fed up of constantly pulling the power lead out of the webstar modem .
I had a look on the http://192.168.100.1
it gave me some very interesting information from my modems log
i had BPI flash : The mfg CA Cert not found
DHCP warning - non critical field invalid in response
can any one help - telewest are insisting it is me

Does http://192.168.100.1 give the upstream and downstream power levels, and SNR etc, if so can you post them.

Paul K
26-02-2006, 21:40
Do you have a firewall at all, also have you double checked your settings for Internet Explorer connections.
BTW this thread is nearly a year old ;) Welcome to the forum lol

monkey2468
26-02-2006, 21:43

Oceanic rr? What country are you in?

EDIT: oops, this is a rather old thread. LOL Not likely i'll get a rply to this!!

Paul K
26-02-2006, 21:47

Oceanic rr? What country are you in?

EDIT: oops, this is a rather old thread. LOL Not likely i'll get a rply to this!!
Spudsons' entry is a new post so he may reply ;)

spudson0
27-02-2006, 08:01
i do not use internet explorer i use firefox as i find it more secure i uninstalled my firewall and put another one on and it still does it