PDA

View Full Version : Project Gotham Racing 2

Jarandco
24-07-2003, 09:28
Well if you liked Project Gotham 1 then you will love number 2!

http://special.reserve.co.uk/news/story.php?id=2755

Sounds even better than i thought! Cant wait for this - espicially for live!

Caspar
24-07-2003, 10:24
This does indeed sound interesting....I just hope with them squeezing more traffic (mind the pun!) down the pipe that it doesn't produce lag :rolleyes:

I wonder what people think...would you prefer:

1. A quality massive multiplayer car game, with 16+

2. The real-time weather system and local radio

3. Are these two mutually exclusive, we will see!

Jarandco
24-07-2003, 10:28
Originally posted by Caspar
This does indeed sound interesting....I just hope with them squeezing more traffic (mind the pun!) down the pipe that it doesn't produce lag :rolleyes:

I wonder what people think...would you prefer:

1. A quality massive multiplayer car game, with 16+

2. The real-time weather system and local radio

3. Are these two mutually exclusive, we will see!

I think i would want the max o be 16 players per game! any more would be too hard i think! But i also think the weather and radio are good - but the radio isnt live - its just recorded just like pgr1 ! (I think)

Racing games dont need as much bandwidth as fps so it should be possible! I hope it is!:D

XiceWolf
24-07-2003, 10:29
yer but if theres more detail does that not effect how easy as server could host a 16 player game ?

Boom
24-07-2003, 16:02
Don't worry m8, Edinburgh's one of the maps, it'll be just grey all the time on that one, won't need many weather effects! :D

Originally posted by XiceWolf
yer but if theres more detail does that not effect how easy as server could host a 16 player game ?

Caspar
26-08-2003, 11:46
Some new screenshots from Spong.com (http://spong.com/index.asp?art=5427&date=20030826)

...looking good! :eek:

Caspar
28-08-2003, 18:21
Some new Kudos!....see here (http://cgi.gaming-age.com/cgi-bin/previews/preview.pl?sys=xbox&game=pgr2) ;)

Caspar
24-09-2003, 12:08
Movie for you! :D

Watch it here (http://teamxbox.com/news.php?id=4890) ;)

NEONKNIGHT
24-09-2003, 12:37
Sweet!:smokin:

:devsmoke:

Zorilla
24-09-2003, 13:00
I can't see how the local weather or radio will consume any bandwidth at all!

When the game is launched, this info will be passed to each xbox playing as a one off piece of information.

This way everyone will be playing in the rain, sun, snow (snow - wow, that's a thought!).

The xbox will know what local radio to "switch on" based on the course, and it will most likely pre-loaded to play certain songs, and have certain DJ's speaking, just like PGR1. (As Jarandco said)

Now if the sun came out in London half way through the race, and that was relayed into the game, that would consume bandwidth, but I bet they won't be going that far!!

I guess the one area that will consume bandwidth, will be the damage system, if you smash the hell out of your or someone else's car, I'd expect all the players to see it - however this info will probably be just an extra byte every now and again, so I don't thing we have too much to be worried out!

Zorilla

Caspar
24-09-2003, 13:23
PROJECT GOTHAM RACING 2 DATED FOR EUROPE (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/r/?page=http://www.computerandvideogames.com/news/news_story.php(que)id=96672)

28th November release....ages yet :(

Thanks to Andre for telling me about this :)

Boom
24-09-2003, 14:06
tbh, doesn't seem far away to me, not until I finish KOTOR. There's some quality games between now and then too which make the time go even quicker.

Caspar
24-09-2003, 14:09
Zorilla - I hear your points...and I find them interesting...the first one I'd like to pick up on is the damage engine...everyone would have to see evryones dammage otherwise the game would fail...loose it's realism...which is what the game is based on...we'll see this, period.. :D

The weather system et al - it's always good to speculate!...but I always find we're left breathless when the games come out and, usually!, they are tons better with parts that are mind blowing...that wasn't even on the long distance radar of expectations :p

Caspar
24-09-2003, 14:13
Originally posted by Boom
tbh, doesn't seem far away to me, not until I finish KOTOR. There's some quality games between now and then too which make the time go even quicker.

KOTOR is going back for me :(

PGR2 is too late cause 3 weeks later I'm getting married...so from beginning of Dec I'm going to be a ghost around here! ;)

Boom
24-09-2003, 14:38
Originally posted by Caspar
PGR2 is too late cause 3 weeks later I'm getting married...so from beginning of Dec I'm going to be a ghost around here! ;)

omg...you're gonna be Church. :D

Zorilla
24-09-2003, 15:22
I've heard rumours that PCWorld have xbox demo booths running playable versions on PGR2!!

Anyone confirm?

Ricky G
24-09-2003, 16:09
A mate of mine works for Bizzare Creations and suggested this for a bit of eye candy.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/openpic.php?nid=108700&article_id=96579

Hmm, Nice!

kronas
24-09-2003, 22:34
Originally posted by Ricky G
A mate of mine works for Bizzare Creations and suggested this for a bit of eye candy.

Hmm, Nice!

nice..... :drool:

hope the game has better controls then the first one on the xbox

Caspar
25-09-2003, 10:49
Originally posted by morris
why you taking kotor back?

Well, I've had it a week and only played it for a few hours!...took it out to play Conflict Desert Storm 2 and GR:IT and not been back in since...not my type of game! :p

:notopic: sorry!

Caspar
25-09-2003, 10:51
Originally posted by Ricky G

Hmm, Nice!

Simply awesome shots....it's going to be a hard few weeks running upto release!

It'll be ok...cause we'll have Rainbow six 3 by then! :p :D

NEONKNIGHT
25-09-2003, 16:54
It seems that the only big releases before and leading upto Christmas is PGR2 and possibly Amped. A hell of a lot of games have slipped back to the New Year.:(

Boom
15-10-2003, 10:44
omg, nice list of cars! Originally posted on BxB: http://www.britxbox.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14170 , but for those ppl who don't go there: http://xbox.ign.com/articles/454/454576p1.html?fromint=1

XiceWolf
15-10-2003, 11:46
Possibly amped neon !!! Of course its going to be a huge title :D Iam looking forward to throwing myself down the mountain at fast speeds soon :D What more could anyone want !! Theres a review of amped 2 in xbox world, the only thing that puts me slightly off liking it is the amount of crap on the screen at the top, if you see the screens you will see what iam talking about. I just hope its all able to be turned off. Sharing replays should be a good laugh :D

Boom
15-10-2003, 11:50
Possibly amped neon !!! Of course its going to be a huge title :D Iam looking forward to throwing myself down the mountain at fast speeds soon :D What more could anyone want !! Theres a review of amped 2 in xbox world, the only thing that puts me slightly off liking it is the amount of crap on the screen at the top, if you see the screens you will see what iam talking about. I just hope its all able to be turned off. Sharing replays should be a good laugh :D

I just want some big vertical drops and see what happens! :D

NEONKNIGHT
15-10-2003, 12:34
I just want some big vertical drops and see what happens! :D

"Ambulance for Mr Boom !" :)

zerolight
15-10-2003, 12:42

There's so many new games out in the next 2 months...

Of course there is Amped 2 and PGR2 which are both looking awesome. But there is also Rainbow Six 3, GTA3, Topspin (should be a gr8 XSN title), then there's Pro Race Driver online which is going to be a great "serious" online racers, and XIII and True Crime might also be good. And thats just my shortlist.

Boom
15-10-2003, 13:02
"Ambulance for Mr Boom !" :)

LOL. After I crash and burn, just push what's left of me down the rest of the mountain.

Caspar
16-10-2003, 10:25
PROJECT GOTHAM 2: FULL LIST OF MOTORS REVEALED!

Here's the full list of cars available! (I'm personally looking forward to the Vauxhall VX220, amongst others :p )

Mini Cooper S
Seat Leon Cupra R
Volkswagen New Beetle RSi
Ford Focus RS
Honda Civic Type-R
Renault Clio V6
Volkswagen R32
Lancia Delta Integrale Evo
Audi TT Roadster
Mazda Miata MX-5
Toyota MR2 Spyder
Porsche Boxster S
Honda S2000
BMW Z4 3.0i
Audi TT Coupe
Mazda RX-8
Honda Integra Type-R (Japan)
Nissan 350Z
Audi S4
BMW M3
Audi TT 3.2 Quattro
Volvo XC90
Chevrolet SSR
Mercedes ML55 AMG
Porsche Cayenne Turbo
BMW X5 4.6is
Ford SVT Lightning
Mitsubishi 3000 GT VR4
Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VII
Mazda RX-7
Toyota Supra Twin-Turbo
Subaru Impreza WRX STi
Nissan Skyline GT-R (R34) Nur
Vauxhall VX220

Now you can earn kudos in Porsches, Ferraris and a Renault Clio

zerolight
16-10-2003, 10:41

Here's the full list of cars available! (I'm personally looking forward to the Vauxhall VX220, amongst others :p )

I'm looking fwd to the Honda Civic Type-R because thats the car I drive in real life. Its just a shame its Edinburgh and not Glasgow they've modelled in the game, otherwise I coulda driven it down the same roads I drive every day. Hang on, where's the fun in that? :)

Caspar
16-10-2003, 10:57
lol :)

I remebering being in the vauxhall showroom and spending 10 mins getting into the VX220..then 30mins getting out again!!! ...my gf thought it was funny! :LOL:

Actual pic (but saying that can you tell the difference between a real pic and a PGR2 screenshot! :D ):
http://www.vx220london.com/images/splash_03.jpg

Zorilla
16-10-2003, 12:29
Has anyone got a link to the countries/cities being included?

Zorilla

TigaSefi
16-10-2003, 13:01

Is there ? :p :angel:

Boom
16-10-2003, 13:38
Is there ? :p :angel:

Nice bait. Think I'll throw it back and wait for something better.

Jarandco
24-10-2003, 20:34
PGR2 Online Preview! (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/r/?page=http://www.computerandvideogames.com/news/news_story.php(que)id=97796)
Looks as if PGR2 is up to the online challenge i just cant wait!

Defiant
17-11-2003, 20:04
I didn't think I was going to like this game but wow not been able to get off it for 3 days. Its excellent fun. My sons just overtaken my score now so going to have to get back on their:)

Neil
18-11-2003, 08:34
I didn't think I was going to like this game but wow not been able to get off it for 3 days. Its excellent fun. My sons just overtaken my score now so going to have to get back on their:)

Can't argue with that, this game is simply awesome. :tu: :tu:

Boom
18-11-2003, 10:41
IGN's review is extremely positive:
http://xbox.ign.com/articles/440/440849p1.html

One thing though, I thought there was going to be different environment effects (which I wanted) and linked up to the actual realtime weather of he city (which I really don't care about)? According to that review, they didn't see any snow or sleet.

Caspar
18-11-2003, 10:52

One thing though, I thought there was going to be different environment effects (which I wanted) and linked up to the actual realtime weather of he city (which I really don't care about)? According to that review, they didn't see any snow or sleet.

Maybe it's just not snowing in Barca yet!!! :rofl:

Reddevil63
18-11-2003, 16:29
Now, whether this is true or not, but was playing Amped2 online last night and some chap came on and said that he is getting his copy of PGR2 on Friday thru the post from Dixons.

This could be another of these early release dates that the Dixons group seem to get with MS games.

So keep your eyes peeled!!!!

Defiant
18-11-2003, 16:59

Just played multiplayer and you have a choice of whther conditions on their like rain and things

Boom
18-11-2003, 17:04
Just played multiplayer and you have a choice of whther conditions on their like rain and things

To state the obvious then, the reviewer then either had a pre-release copy or just didn't bother looking. :(

Tezcatlipoca
19-11-2003, 21:04
Apparently, an Australian MP called Paul Gibson wants to ban PGR2 in Oz:

"This game sends the wrong message to young people. It is actually glorifying speed and power. It is clearly an inappropriate depiction of speed behaviour.

http://www.gnsproject.com/news/2138/

:rolleyes:

Jarandco
19-11-2003, 21:13

So what about Burnout, and every other racing game, its so stupid its just funny! :D :rofl:

Defiant
19-11-2003, 22:04
So what about Burnout, and every other racing game, its so stupid its just funny! :D :rofl:

He must need some cheap publicity

Jarandco
19-11-2003, 22:26
He must need some cheap publicity

:LOL:

NEONKNIGHT
19-11-2003, 23:39

The World must be a wonderful place if that's all he has to worry about! :rolleyes:

Caspar
25-11-2003, 13:54
PRG2 is now out! Game are now stocking this on their shelves! [and my friends list is filling up with people beating me to play it! :LOL:]

Defiant
25-11-2003, 15:00
PRG2 is now out! Game are now stocking this on their shelves! [and my friends list is filling up with people beating me to play it! :LOL:]

I've found it very frustrating at times

Frank
25-11-2003, 15:34

Here's the full list of cars available! There is definitely more cars that that, I've had the game for about two weeks now. Been playing it single player mode and it's bloody great!

Tiger Woods 2004 is still the game of choice at the moment though :D

Jarandco
25-11-2003, 15:55

Damn My mate was right, he told me this yesterday! :cry:

NEONKNIGHT
25-11-2003, 16:38

:Yikes: What!

<EDIT> Just checked the GAME web site and its still only available on Pre-Order.
Typical!!! :afire:

<EDIT,EDIT> Just phoned my local GAME store and they are not selling it but they are aware of Curry's & Dixons breaking the release date rules.... they also said that if i went to the store and complained they Would be willing to let me have a copy today!!!!! Why do I bother ordering from there web site??? :(

manowar68
25-11-2003, 17:30
What i would like to know is currys or Dixsons selling PGR2 now.

Defiant
25-11-2003, 18:09
<EDIT,EDIT> Just phoned my local GAME store and they are not selling it but they are aware of Curry's & Dixons breaking the release date rules....(

Well I can't see even M$ being daft enough to try giving them ****. That'd be a major mistake when there trying to catchup to the PS2

manowar68
25-11-2003, 18:34
<EDIT,EDIT> Just phoned my local GAME store and they are not selling it but they are aware of Curry's & Dixons breaking the release date rules.... they also said that if i went to the store and complained they Would be willing to let me have a copy today!!!!! Why do I bother ordering from there web site??? :(

Rang game here in swindon and was told that they do have them instock but can't sell them till friday :disturbd:
I ask why.............and was told the reason being no other retail store in swindon was selling them,so they could not do it :shrug:
Went to toyRus,pc world and currys and not a thing,just have to wait till friday now.

NEONKNIGHT
25-11-2003, 19:06
Rang game here in swindon and was told that they do have them instock but can't sell them till friday :disturbd:
I ask why.............and was told the reason being no other retail store in swindon was selling them,so they could not do it :shrug:
Went to toyRus,pc world and currys and not a thing,just have to wait till friday now.

From what I can gather from the manager at our local GAME, the story is that some GAME outlets are selling PGR2 but its up to the discretion of the shop manager, basically he would have to justify his actions to the Regional Manager (for example, local branches of Curryââ‚ƚ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢s & Dixonââ‚ƚ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢s are selling them and they had no choice but to sell copies early, otherwise customers would go elsewhere).

So, if your local Currys/Dixons are not selling PGR2 now, the chances are GAME won't be either. Its the luck of the draw unfortunately.

Jarandco
25-11-2003, 20:10
Well i heard an email was sent rounbd all the game stores saying that they were allowed to sell pgr2 from today...?

Caspar
25-11-2003, 20:47
Manchester Trafford Centre and Manchester Arndale Centre are selling them for sure :)

Tezcatlipoca
25-11-2003, 21:19
I'll definitely try & get this early if anyone has it in Cambridge :)

Ricky G
26-11-2003, 11:35
On the subject of pre-order. Whenever I pre order games from amazon they get posted out on the day of release (normally a Friday) so I have to wait till the following Monday to get them thanks to the wonders of Royal Mail. I changed my ways recently and ordered from Game Can anyone tell me what happens when you pre-order from them? Do you get the game delivered on the day of release?

Boom
26-11-2003, 12:27
On the subject of pre-order. Whenever I pre order games from amazon they get posted out on the day of release (normally a Friday) so I have to wait till the following Monday to get them thanks to the wonders of Royal Mail. I changed my ways recently and ordered from Game Can anyone tell me what happens when you pre-order from them? Do you get the game delivered on the day of release?

In most cases, yes you get it on day of release and sometimes day before.

I stopped ordering from Amazon over a year ago cause they were cr@p at delivering, I wouldn't necessarily blame Royal Mail. Best sites for day before delivery are definitely Game or Gameplay, if you don't mind stumping up a bit of extra cash sometimes. Though recently Game.net has come down in price on a lot of games.

Zorilla
26-11-2003, 12:32
I Usually order from Play.com, and my account currently says processing PGR2, so I'm expecting them to ship today, and I'll receive it on Friday.

(This has happened in the past, but then who can predict what Royal Mail will do with your package)

Caspar
26-11-2003, 12:34
I Usually order from Play.com, and my account currently says processing PGR2, so I'm expecting them to ship today, and I'll receive it on Friday.

(This has happened in the past, but then who can predict what Royal Mail will do with your package)

Hey don't diss royal mail!!!....Someone did that once on here and got a lashing from a postie who posts here! :romance: the Royal Mail! :D

...saying that they go on strike a bit the lazy gits!!! :p

manowar68
26-11-2003, 16:05
:D got my copy of PGR2 about half hour ago.
Rang game up again and they said yes we are selling them now :D
Can't wait to get online with this game,i think it's what we have all been waiting for................a good online racing game ;)

XiceWolf
26-11-2003, 16:17
Moto GP wasnt even a full online game and it has so far been the best racing game. Ill get pgr2 tommorow i think :D

HornetUK
26-11-2003, 18:38
Got mine from GAME today also.

NEONKNIGHT
26-11-2003, 19:05
Roll on friday. :p

ic14
26-11-2003, 19:08
bah damn my lack of funds.... This games seems excellent from playing the demo in GAME and getting thrashed by one of my friends lol.

hmm have to try and convince the 'rents about it....

Jarandco
26-11-2003, 19:32
Roll on friday. :p

Yeah:D

Or thursday if we are lucky! :)

manowar68
26-11-2003, 22:55
Mantrid,Caspar and myself had some good races tonight and it was awesome.
This game lives up to everything,the graphics,sound,single player and most of all xbox live.
It's what we have all been waiting for.If you have an xbox get it and if your lucky enough xbox live.....well what can i say.......GET IT you will not be disapointed thats for sure :)

NEONKNIGHT
26-11-2003, 23:19
Mantrid,Caspar and myself had some good races tonight and it was awesome.
This game lives up to everything,the graphics,sound,single player and most of all xbox live.
It's what we have all been waiting for.If you have an xbox get it and if your lucky enough xbox live.....well what can i say.......GET IT you will not be disapointed thats for sure :)

Sounds real cool. Does playing the game in single player unlock cars for when playing on LiVE? Who won the most games out of the three of you ? Hopefully be able to join you guy's on Friday if my copy arrives from GAME. :D

Jarandco
26-11-2003, 23:35
Yeah ill be joining you on friday (fingers triple crossed!), its good to hear i cant wait now!!! :D

HornetUK
27-11-2003, 00:42
Agree with everything said by manowar68. Only thing I've found annoying is my joypad seems to constantly vibrate when driving?

Can i join your races please? Are your gamertags as above post?

Cheers

Ste Riley
27-11-2003, 02:35
It's time for me to speak the truth, as a race fan and a veteran Project Gotham gamer its time to sound out just what has happened here.

PGR2: I got this game home on Tuesday home at about 2pm ready to **** my plank with excitement. Booted it up and shot right into some single player action to warm up.

The graphics, Superb, the handling superb, gameplay superb. It was what I've dreaming of all this time. I then got online to give it a spin, 30 cars already unlocked, quite a few **** ones and a couple of corkers. Just what you'd expect so newbies can get right into the action.

The first gripe I noticed as I got online was the game is too centralised on the brilliant Kudos system. When you race online you want to improve on your personal best lap times, here you dont do that, you just collect points (Kudos) every time you race.

Anyway, not to worry it'll be ok trying to get the highest amount of Kudos on each track instead right? Wrong.

Tonight I've ended a marathon session on the game and its almost complete to Silver medal, meaning that most of the tracks and best cars are unlocked. In the original PGR this would have taken me days and days. It's been made easier so that its more accessable to all, again I think this is another downfall to the game as a whole.

So I went back online again tonight and started to race all the different classes of car, then began to wonder, whats the point to this? What am I trying to beat?

I can aim to win the race, but after you've done that a couple of times who gives a monkeys who wins, it dont mean nothing. How did I compare to last time I raced on this track, you cant tell!

In the end there's no lasting appeal to this game, the scoreboards like on Moto GP are what makes racing games. The scoreboards provided by Gotham cannot even be accessed in the lobby.

I must repeat this is a great game, but for lasting appeal online it just wont cut the mustard because its to bland. A dissapointing end to such a hyped realese. It could have been so much and it almost is but has failed by lacking a few simple but vitial features like time logging and scoreboard access on the fly.

If only them scoreboards was there this game wouldnt have left my machine till after Xmas. Without them it just feels like a lifeless experience, maybe rushed out to soon without much thought by Microsoft.

RENT FOR A WEEKEND... NOT THE ONLINE CLASSIC WE HOPED FOR!

Reddevil63
27-11-2003, 02:46
I think having a kudos based scoring system online is a great idea and detracts from the usual obligatory 'getting a faster lap than everyone else'.

This makes for more skilled driving rather than tearing around a track as fast as you can.

The whole premise of PGR is driving style rather than lap times and they have taken this element and transfer it to the online game rather than sticking to the generic lap times which every racing game today has.

A big thumbs up to Bizarre for doing something different!!!

Jarandco
27-11-2003, 08:17
Well mine has been dispatched, got the email today, did you get it aswell neon? So i should be online tomorrow! :D

Boom
27-11-2003, 10:10
Got mine this morning along with NHL2K4, XIII, and Manhunt. NHL2K4 is well good and definite improvement over 2K3 and probably the best hockey game I've played since the one on I used to play on Sega Genesis. Where are you McTim?

Zorilla
27-11-2003, 12:37
Tonight I've ended a marathon session on the game and its almost complete to Silver medal, meaning that most of the tracks and best cars are unlocked. In the original PGR this would have taken me days and days. It's been made easier so that its more accessable to all, again I think this is another downfall to the game as a whole.

I see what you're getting at, but can you play the single player with a different Player name, so that the cars and tracks are still locked?

You could argue that this defeats the object, but the alternative (of having to unlock all the cars and tracks in single player 1st), would have taken alot of fun out of the LIVE experienced, as newbies would have the crappy cars, and the veterans would "whip their @rses"

NEONKNIGHT
27-11-2003, 12:42
Well mine has been dispatched, got the email today, did you get it aswell neon? So i should be online tomorrow! :D

Yes, got my email this morning at 8.30am. Fingers crossed it will arrive tomorrow but judging by past deliveries it could be Saturday. Think I'll have to move house to south of the Watford Gap to get my games earlier! :)

Ste Riley
27-11-2003, 13:21
I see what you're getting at, but can you play the single player with a different Player name, so that the cars and tracks are still locked?

You could argue that this defeats the object, but the alternative (of having to unlock all the cars and tracks in single player 1st), would have taken alot of fun out of the LIVE experienced, as newbies would have the crappy cars, and the veterans would "whip their @rses"

Yes you can set up another profile so that they are all locked up again but theres no point really.

I play fair and if a newbie comes on with there Mini I wont get out my Enzo and laugh in there face as I speed away. There's no challenge in that, I'd get out my Mini or Focus something with a similar speed and give them a good race.

However, you can restrict the classes when you are hosting so that everyone does have similar speed cars.

If your not into offline gaming then you will struggle to find the time to get some of the better cars out there, although it is possible to get the Enzo in under 3 hours easily.

My big gripe is that this just wont last you in the long term online because it gets old fast. The enjoyment from this comes out of racing on your own, I think I will find supporters of this.

invalid_session
27-11-2003, 13:50
The enjoyment from this comes out of racing on your own, I think I will find supporters of this.

That's the best thing about all decent racing titles, to be honest. Time trailing against your own records proves to be the true test of a gamers might - add in the Xbox Live stuff and it looks set to keep gamers amused for some time to come (e.g. take a look at Moto GP).

However, I feel as though Project Gotham 2 doesn't really convey the same time trailing aspects as something more "harcore", like Moto GP 2 or F355 (yeah, I know, not Xbox... just drawing on experience as the Xbox lacks in "proper" driving games imho), where one could learn to take advantage of a much deeper, richer handling and "physics" model, taming the beast.

Not my cup of tea, to be brutally honest...

Ste Riley
27-11-2003, 14:25
Well said invalid session, this is not a good hardcore racer that I hoped for either. Hopefully SEGA GT will give us that and provide the hours of rip-roaring action we demand from Live games today.

By this time next week, I'd like to see how many people who get the game this week are still lapping up the online multiplayer head-to-head side of this game.

I think it wont be very many, you'll all slip back to Rainbow 6 or whatever else floats your boat.

Boom
27-11-2003, 14:33
Unfortunately Sega GT got delayed again. :(

Ste Riley
27-11-2003, 14:36
Yup, we'll have to wait till Feb it seems, so we'll just have to dream about it till then and aim to get Platinum medals in all challenges on PGR2.

Jarandco
27-11-2003, 15:54
Got mine this morning along with NHL2K4, XIII, and Manhunt. NHL2K4 is well good and definite improvement over 2K3 and probably the best hockey game I've played since the one on I used to play on Sega Genesis. Where are you McTim?

4 games in one week - just before xmas :eeek:

Tell us or me (if i am the only one interested) what XIII is like single and online as i am wondeirng about getting this! :)

Boom
27-11-2003, 15:56

Tell us or me (if i am the only one interested) what XIII is like single and online as i am wondeirng about getting this! :)

I will if I get a chance. If McTim has got NHL2K4 (he pre-ordered from the same place), it's likely I won't be playing much beyond this game for the next few nights online. If he hasn't got it, then I'll give some kind of first impression when I get a moment from PGR2.

There are still some adventure games that have got good reviews that I want like Broken Sword, Sphinx and the Mummy, etc.

NEONKNIGHT
27-11-2003, 17:01
It's time for me to speak the truth, as a race fan and a veteran Project Gotham gamer its time to sound out just what has happened here.

PGR2: I got this game home on Tuesday home at about 2pm ready to **** my plank with excitement. Booted it up and shot right into some single player action to warm up.

The graphics, Superb, the handling superb, gameplay superb. It was what I've dreaming of all this time. I then got online to give it a spin, 30 cars already unlocked, quite a few **** ones and a couple of corkers. Just what you'd expect so newbies can get right into the action.

The first gripe I noticed as I got online was the game is too centralised on the brilliant Kudos system. When you race online you want to improve on your personal best lap times, here you dont do that, you just collect points (Kudos) every time you race.

Anyway, not to worry it'll be ok trying to get the highest amount of Kudos on each track instead right? Wrong.

So I went back online again tonight and started to race all the different classes of car, then began to wonder, whats the point to this? What am I trying to beat?

I can aim to win the race, but after you've done that a couple of times who gives a monkeys who wins, it dont mean nothing. How did I compare to last time I raced on this track, you cant tell!

In the end there's no lasting appeal to this game, the scoreboards like on Moto GP are what makes racing games. The scoreboards provided by Gotham cannot even be accessed in the lobby.

I must repeat this is a great game, but for lasting appeal online it just wont cut the mustard because its to bland. A dissapointing end to such a hyped realese. It could have been so much and it almost is but has failed by lacking a few simple but vitial features like time logging and scoreboard access on the fly.

If only them scoreboards was there this game wouldnt have left my machine till after Xmas. Without them it just feels like a lifeless experience, maybe rushed out to soon without much thought by Microsoft.

RENT FOR A WEEKEND... NOT THE ONLINE CLASSIC WE HOPED FOR!

Reading the online review for PGR2 in the Official Xbox mag, it seems to contradict what you have been saying about leaderboards/postion on the different tracks etc. What the mag say's is this:-

In PGR2, even when you are racing alone, you are still going against the world. The game is always LiVE and will constantly update your position on the leader boards, your position on each track, and will even put your 'ghost' out for others to race against........ PGR2 is the ultimate racing game and it just gets ever better with Xbox LiVE

So there's absolutely no Time scores/leader boards, is it all just based on Kudos points? :confused:

Ste Riley
27-11-2003, 17:20
When you race head to head against other players then it is for Kudos only, ever! Or on exhibition where u just have a race for position.

The only way to race for times is to do the Time Attack mode in single player. If you are racing on tracks the fastest cars dominate and the people who have cheated with Action Replay to get the TVR Speed 6 have the worlds fastest times.

The car challenges on time attacks are probabily where you'll get the best lasting enjoyment. Again your playing this on your tod and wont ever speak to a single person, which is what we enjoy most about live coz we are all socialable people right.

EDIT: I must stress again with all this negative feedback, the single player side to this is really enjoyable and the online scoreboards for this may help longativity.

manowar68
27-11-2003, 17:36
Agree with everything said by manowar68. Only thing I've found annoying is my joypad seems to constantly vibrate when driving?

Can i join your races please? Are your gamertags as above post?

Cheers

Add away Hornet,that is your gamertag.....HornetUK?

HornetUK
27-11-2003, 17:52
Yep

NEONKNIGHT
27-11-2003, 18:11
When you race head to head against other players then it is for Kudos only, ever! Or on exhibition where u just have a race for position.

The only way to race for times is to do the Time Attack mode in single player. If you are racing on tracks the fastest cars dominate and the people who have cheated with Action Replay to get the TVR Speed 6 have the worlds fastest times.

The car challenges on time attacks are probabily where you'll get the best lasting enjoyment. Again your playing this on your tod and wont ever speak to a single person, which is what we enjoy most about live coz we are all socialable people right.

EDIT: I must stress again with all this negative feedback, the single player side to this is really enjoyable and the online scoreboards for this may help longativity.

I see what you mean now, cheers for the quick reply. ;)

:)

Boom
28-11-2003, 09:41

Played XIII last night in single-player only and I think it's great fun. It might be linear and pretty average FPS, but it's made up by some great comic book effects and a half-decent storyline (borrowed obviously from others). I was left wanting to play XIII to get to the end. I haven't gotten to any annoying glitches yet, but can see why the reviewers were ultimately only half satisfied with the game. Still an enjoyng diversion at the moment.

However, NHL2K4 was where the real fun was. Up to 8 ppl online (4 on each Xbox), though McTim and I found two relatively problematic glitches which I'll be searching a solution for on the XBox.com forums. This game is simply great.

NEONKNIGHT
28-11-2003, 12:56
My copy of PGR2 has just arrived! Yay! :)

Jarandco
28-11-2003, 15:38
Got my copy just about to play it!!

XiceWolf
28-11-2003, 16:37
Man iam crap at pgr2, single player is frustrating but good fun at the same time. Its a shame the people that make this game cant see how well amped 2 uses custom soundtracks so the track plays randomly and continuously in the lobby and throughout the games without stopping after every game. It gets really annoying especially if you need to restart a lot for some of the challenges.

Zorilla
28-11-2003, 21:47
I've ordered mine from Play.com and it hasn't arrived yet!! :afire:
Worst of all, was I put delivery to my work address, so I'm not likely to see it 'till Monday :dunce:
Back to the decorating this weekend then :zzz:

NEONKNIGHT
28-11-2003, 23:49
I've ordered mine from Play.com and it hasn't arrived yet!! :afire:
Worst of all, was I put delivery to my work address, so I'm not likely to see it 'till Monday :dunce:
Back to the decorating this weekend then :zzz:

As Homer J Simpson would say; "Doh!"

:)

Tezcatlipoca
29-11-2003, 16:01
Just got my copy :)

Tezcatlipoca
01-12-2003, 00:33
Just got my copy :)

... and still haven't played it, LOL.

I'll give it a go on Monday.