PDA

View Full Version : Help needed

Florence
14-06-2004, 08:59
I have copied this from a post on ISPr forums it is the saddest thing I have read for a while.

The member is asking for help to get the law changed so please read then sign the petition to help.

In March last year I lost my 12 year old daughter in a car accident. The way that current laws stand it is possible to kill someone behind the wheel and only face motoring charges which do not take into account the fact that someone has died. I am running a petition where you can read about what happened to my daughter and please if you agree with what I have said sign my petition asking for a change in the law. You can view it here
http://www.gopetition.co.uk/online/4549.html

homealone
14-06-2004, 10:33
Thanks Kits - I agree that the current law is inadequate, the case you mention is sad, but I am also in mind of the recent tragedy where a drunk driver crashed into a tree & killed his wife & 2 kids - to me that was murder, plain & simple :mad:

- I signed the petition.

Bex
14-06-2004, 13:15
Thanks Kits - I agree that the current law is inadequate, the case you mention is sad, but I am also in mind of the recent tragedy where a drunk driver crashed into a tree & killed his wife & 2 kids - to me that was murder, plain & simple :mad:

- I signed the petition.
i agree with gaz.... the law is inadequate. the stories both you (kits) and gaz mentioned are terrible. i signed the petition.... i just hope it does really make a difference

SMHarman
14-06-2004, 13:24

- I signed the petition.

How drunk was he? His wife chose to get in the car with him when she might reasonably have thought he was drinking. Both neglegted their parental responsibilities, he by putting his children in the back of his car when he was drunk and her again by letting him.

I'm hope these deaths will trouble him for a long time.

People who kill themselves while drink driving I can cope with, removing stupidity from the gene pool in a darwin awards manner.

The bigger problem is that these days they usually get saved by the collection of safety features, crumple zones and airbags, but the pedestrian they hit is never so fortunate.

Bifta
14-06-2004, 13:44
They need to scrap the "Causing death by dangerous driving" law and just try them for manslaughter.

homealone
14-06-2004, 13:46
How drunk was he? His wife chose to get in the car with him when she might reasonably have thought he was drinking. Both neglegted their parental responsibilities, he by putting his children in the back of his car when he was drunk and her again by letting him.

I'm hope these deaths will trouble him for a long time.

People who kill themselves while drink driving I can cope with, removing stupidity from the gene pool in a darwin awards manner.

The bigger problem is that these days they usually get saved by the collection of safety features, crumple zones and airbags, but the pedestrian they hit is never so fortunate.

He is currently on bail

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/merseyside/3800649.stm

- I don't disagree that his wife shared the responsibility, unfortunately she paid the ultimate cost for that. I just think that he should be charged with, at least, manslaughter.

SMHarman
14-06-2004, 13:52
Bet the van had a drivers airbag and no pax airbag.

Van? Minivan? How were the children secured. All the van's I've ever been in only have 2 or 3 seats.

homealone
14-06-2004, 14:03
Bet the van had a drivers airbag and no pax airbag.

Van? Minivan? How were the children secured. All the van's I've ever been in only have 2 or 3 seats.

You are probably right - I saw a car being driven the other day by someone chatting on their mobile, while at least 5 small kids were sat in the back - none wearing seatbelts :(

- I didn't really mean to get drawn into the details of any particular case, the first one I mentioned just seemed to illustrate the irony of how it is possible to kill someone with a car, but not be prosecuted for murder or manslaughter.

Florence
14-06-2004, 23:04
Thank you those who have signed any more wishing to help in this worthy cause.

MadGamer
15-06-2004, 00:09
I signed the petition. I am just well and truly shocked by this.

carlingman
15-06-2004, 01:03
:( Tragic loss of a young life and have signed.

Some further infro can be found here (http://www.roadpeace.org/internetmemorials/memorial.php?show=225) and here (http://hometown.aol.co.uk/__121b_lxmm2QKnRnzC5FD2JDuWQgAP/Pv9Il9B4lWD/6jnghg2092MTgk+ww==)

:(

cookie_365
15-06-2004, 01:30
Yes, I've signed.

One of the things I don't understand is the way the law seems to make a special case of 'motoring' offences by just looking at the offence and not the consequence.

Florence
11-07-2004, 23:04
The latest update on this is 246 signatures.

Thank you to those who have signed.

posted on our forums. Just a quick update for you all. I have been contacted by Crimewatch UK and they will be featuring an appeal on this months programme which I will be appearing on. The programme is to be aired on 29th July (i think)

Damien
11-07-2004, 23:17
Murder is killing someone with the express objective to kill someone while being sane.

Do not confuse death as a cause of extreme stupidity with murder. I agree with this petition due to lack of police support but i dont like the way some people have seemed to suggest that people who do this are murders.

Remember any of us can be stupid and kill though dangous driving or something else

MetaWraith
11-07-2004, 23:17
Several Libraries and other organisations in my area have similar petitions running, Let's hope something can be done.

cookie_365
12-07-2004, 02:07
Murder is killing someone with the express objective to kill someone while being sane.Well, not quite but near enough.

Do not confuse death as a cause of extreme stupidity with murder. I agree with this petition due to lack of police support but i dont like the way some people have seemed to suggest that people who do this are murders.

Remember any of us can be stupid and kill though dangous driving or something elseIf you sit behind the wheel of a car you should be prepared to take responsibility for your actions.

Damien
12-07-2004, 17:21
I agree more police time should be spent on cases like this but accidental death shoould not be treated as murder, it should be mansluger

Anyway i signed the patition

cookie_365
12-07-2004, 21:30
I agree more police time should be spent on cases like this but accidental death shoould not be treated as murder, it should be mansluger

Yes, I see I didn't really make my last post very clear: I think that in cases where death has been unintentially caused by a criminal action (eg reckless or dangerous driving) then the charge should be manslaughter, just as it would be for any other case where death has been unintentially caused by a criminal action.