PDA

View Full Version : Dns

Pulse^
12-06-2004, 15:29
Hi folks,

I was wondering if someone can help me. I would like to setup my own small email server, as NTL's are not always 100% working. I also spend a fair amount of time on irc, and was wondering the following:

I plan to setup a authoritative dns server that will provide the dns for my domain name. I would like to setup a 'A record' for my gateway/email server (pulse.kevinsworld.com). At the moment, I have a linux box working perfect acting as my gateway and performing NAT, with my pc conntected to the gateway.

Internet<-->cablemodem<-->linuxgateway<-->hub<-->pc

I would like to have my hostname visible on irc, for example, at the moment, I have this:

Addy: genesis@cpc2-colc3-3-0-cust131.colc.cable.ntl.com

and I would like to have it:

Addy: genesis@pulse.kevinsworld.com

From what I understand I would need to have Authority over my Reverse DNS zone" or in more specific terms, have the ability to have that Reverse Zone "Delegated" to my register domain and setup my public dns services.

Now, does anyone know if NTL allow this? or is there a way around it?

Cheers

Kev

Matth
12-06-2004, 15:55
I would think not, since the IP address is not permanent, only leased through DHCP - and subject to change at any time, even though it rarely does.

You would probly need to be using a DYNDNS service and client, so that changes in IP address could be passed through automatically - though again, it IS rare for it to change unless provoked in some way (long term abscence, change of adapter, change from Windows to Linux, or NTL resegment the area)

Chris W
12-06-2004, 16:00
I would think not, since the IP address is not permanent, only leased through DHCP - and subject to change at any time, even though it rarely does.

You would probly need to be using a DYNDNS service and client, so that changes in IP address could be passed through automatically - though again, it IS rare for it to change unless provoked in some way (long term abscence, change of adapter, change from Windows to Linux, or NTL resegment the area)

this is correct... check out

www.dyndns.org or www.no-ip.com for more details of dynamic dns services.

MB

Pulse^
12-06-2004, 16:16
Hiya,

Many thanks for your replys. I checked out dyndns.org and looked at their FAQ. Their services is mostly what I want, email/dns service, but looking closer, I found this:

My IP currently resolves to some name provided by my ISP. Can I change that to my dyndns.org host/domain?
No, this is not possible due to the nature of the DNS system and the way reverse DNS resolution works. If your IP is static or mostly static, you could ask your ISP to change your reverse DNS lookup, but there is nothing we can do to change it.

From that, I need to ask NTL about getting some reverse dns lookup sorted out. Or have I go things messed up?

Cheers

Matth
13-06-2004, 22:24
On a business tariff, possibly - but there's no way they'd ever offer it to you on a residential tariff.

In other words, not a snowball in hell's chance!

PS. for the other way (not the reverse) you could probably get away with using a non-dynamic service, but you'd have to remeber to update it if your IP did change - I've had the same one for longer than I can remember.

Paul
13-06-2004, 22:57
From that, I need to ask NTL about getting some reverse dns lookup sorted out. Or have I go things messed up?

You are right - but it won't happen.

The host names assigned by NTL actually mean something to NTL engineers and there is zero chance they will change it for you.

In fact I don't know any ISP that will do this for a residential service. The closest I have seen is some ADSL companies allow you to have xxxxx.gotadsl.co.uk (Nildram ?).

Ignition
14-06-2004, 01:20
Nildram, Plus.net and Zen Internet are three examples of this, xxx.gotadsl.co.uk xxx.plus.net and Zen are flexible.

Due to the nature of cable it is NOT POSSIBLE to give truly static IP addresses, also the host names that are assigned give information on location of customer which is handy when trouble shooting, can narrow down to a single uBR port.

Even business cable modem customers don't get custom rDNS I believe.

Pulse^
14-06-2004, 10:49
Thats what I thought, but was not sure, so I'd ask =) So it looks like, if I want rdns, I would have to grab myself a business account with another ISP or get a leased line or something, something I dout will happen anytime soon.

Cheers

Pulse^
14-06-2004, 10:57
Sorry for a double post, but forgot to ask what NTL's connection ratio is? Something like 50:1 ?

Cheers

badnbusy
14-06-2004, 12:09
some say 15:1 some say lower.

tkiely
14-06-2004, 13:04
In fact I don't know any ISP that will do this for a residential service. The closest I have seen is some ADSL companies allow you to have xxxxx.gotadsl.co.uk (Nildram ?).

freedom2surf do! also do a capped 1meg for £14.99