PDA

View Full Version : Trouble with ethernet port

Silent Bob
11-06-2004, 18:10
I've got a terayon cable modem which ive been using the usb connection for but i cant get the ethernet port working.

I've switched the momen off and unplugged the usb cable and put in a straight through network cable that came with the modem (i've tested it and works works fine when networking a pc to a switch). I then switched the modem on and waited for the cable light to stop flashing and stay lit. Then I switched the pc on and the light on the back of the network card and the pc light on the modem were both lit. But about half way through windows loading the light on the back of the network card goes out, then goes back on for about half a second and then stays off (the pc light on the modem stays on).

In windows xp it says that the network cable is unplugged so i looked through the settings for the network card and went though all of the media type settings. It was originaly on auto select and tried every setting. There's a type called 10baseT2 which was the only setting which didn't say that the network card was unplugged but it failed to get the ip address settings by typing in ipconfig /renew in the dos window.

When i first got the modem i used an old 3com isa network card but switched to usb when i got a new computer. The only thing i can think of is that it's refusing to connect as its a different network card (different mac address).

homealone
11-06-2004, 19:13
when you chose the setting that showed the network card as connected, did you turn off the pc, then the modem, then reboot the modem & wait 30 seconds & re-boot the pc, before seeing if you had got an IP?

paulyoung666
11-06-2004, 19:16
when you chose the setting that showed the network card as connected, did you turn off the pc, then the modem, then reboot the modem & wait 30 seconds & re-boot the pc, before seeing if you had got an IP?

good starting point i reckon :tu:

Stop It
11-06-2004, 20:34
Hello there, theres a few ideas on how to solve this issue linked here
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=12501&page=1&highlight=ethernet
hope that helps :-)