PDA

View Full Version : win 98 usb only PPP adapter in ipconfig

iain_herts
10-06-2004, 23:06
hi all on tuesday i installed ntl 150 onto my uncles laptop via usb as he dont have a network card in it (its old). Today i got a phone call from him saying he could not get on line so i asked him to do winipconfig the only thing that came up was PPPE something like that. So i went round and had a look rebooted modem rebooted laptop nithing only PPPE so i uninstalled the usb cable modem driver from the laptop and reinstalled still nothing. so i brought the laptop home so i can ask here and try and do it for him would it be ok if i unplug my router and put the laptop on that i have the ntlhome120 and he has the ntlhome200.

thanks for any help.

iain

Chris W
10-06-2004, 23:14
If the CM is appearing in device manager as a network adaptor then it is not bound to tcp/ip... you need to uninstall and reinstall tcp/ip from the network box in the control panel; you will need a windows 98cd to do it.

If you need more details post back, and i will provide them ;)

iain_herts
12-06-2004, 11:20
hi thanks for ur replay if you could perhaps tell me how to do it as i have found a win 98 disk at last and have no idea on how to do it thanks iain

Chris W
12-06-2004, 11:32
yep no problem...First check that the CM is appearing in the device manager in the category of "network adaptors" as USB CM 351000. It will only appear when connected to the computer.

1 start-> settings control panel -> open "network"
2 find each of the items with names starting "tcp/ip -> " and remove these
3 when it says "your network is not complete do you wish to continue" say yes.
4 when it prompts you to restart the computer, do so.
5 when the pc reboots, browse back to network in the contol panel
6 when it says "your network is not complete do you wish to continue" say yes.
7 click onto "add" then "protocol" then "add"
8 click onto "microsoft" then "tcp/ip" then "add"
9 close the network box and then restart the computer.

Should then be all working for you.

MB

iain_herts
12-06-2004, 12:00
Ok The Thing Is I Have The Laptop At My House

Chris W
12-06-2004, 12:31
Ok The Thing Is I Have The Laptop At My House

that is not a problem... just connect it to your cable modem, you said that you have an ntl home modem as well... so just connect straight to yours.

MB

iain_herts
12-06-2004, 13:36
ok thanks

iain_herts
12-06-2004, 15:02
ok then done that plaug it into mine and guess wot worked straight away with out touching nothing to it so got my mum to give me the keys to my unclues flat plug the cable modem in rebooted it and the laptop and guess wot nothing so i done wot was said above and nothing so im sitting here on dial up at my uncles flat just hope he dont find out i have also done a screen shot of the items

Chris W
12-06-2004, 15:04
ok then done that plaug it into mine and guess wot worked straight away with out touching nothing to it so got my mum to give me the keys to my unclues flat plug the cable modem in rebooted it and the laptop and guess wot nothing so i done wot was said above and nothing so im sitting here on dial up at my uncles flat just hope he dont find out i have also done a screen shot of the items

hmm.... are you getting the usb light on on the modem? try an alternative usb cable, and if it is not coming on then call t/s because it is a problem with the usb port on the modem

MB

iain_herts
12-06-2004, 15:10
yes it does come on the cable i used at my house wass mine but the one i used here was the one that came with ntl

Chris W
12-06-2004, 15:15
yes it does come on the cable i used at my house wass mine but the one i used here was the one that came with ntl

strange... is the cable modem appearing in the device manager? Try an alternative usb port and see if that brings it up...

running out of ideas now!!

MB

iain_herts
12-06-2004, 15:21
yes the cable modem appares in the device manager as USB cable modem 351000 and the laptop only has one usb port its old

iain_herts
12-06-2004, 17:17
ok then i foned up ntl from my uncles house and the person who i spoke to was very helpful said everything you have and done some testest on the modem he could ping the cable modem but not the pc but the cable modem displayed in the device manager so that also ruled out the cable so he said bring everything back to mine which i have done so i plug his laptop into my cable modem and worked. so i then pluged his cable modem into my wire and that did not work. but i plug my mums pc into the cable modem and that worked how strange but the person at ntl said fone back but there lines are down at the mo

Chris W
12-06-2004, 17:35
ok then i foned up ntl from my uncles house and the person who i spoke to was very helpful said everything you have and done some testest on the modem he could ping the cable modem but not the pc but the cable modem displayed in the device manager so that also ruled out the cable so he said bring everything back to mine which i have done so i plug his laptop into my cable modem and worked. so i then pluged his cable modem into my wire and that did not work. but i plug my mums pc into the cable modem and that worked how strange but the person at ntl said fone back but there lines are down at the mo

:LOL: yeh our fire alarm just went off so we all had to evacuate :)

iain_herts
12-06-2004, 17:38
is ur name steve by chance

iain_herts
12-06-2004, 17:42
thats wot you get by smokeing on the job lol

Chris W
12-06-2004, 17:52
is ur name steve by chance

nope.... and i wish we were allowed to smoke on the job!

iain_herts
12-06-2004, 17:56
so wot would u say to do laptop worked on my cable modem. swapted the cable modem over and put on my wire and dont work but put my mums pc on it and works

Chris W
12-06-2004, 18:00
so wot would u say to do laptop worked on my cable modem. swapted the cable modem over and put on my wire and dont work but put my mums pc on it and works

not quite sure what you are trying to say, which of these combinations work:

1. your mum's laptop, her cable, her modem
2. your mum's laptop, your cable, her modem
3. your mum's laptop, your cable, your modem
4. your mum's laptop, her cable, your modem

?

iain_herts
12-06-2004, 19:15
ok this is it its not my mums laptop its my uncles

this is wot i have done

uncles laptop, my modem, his wire = working
uncles laptop, uncles modem, uncles wire = not working
my pc, uncles modem, uncles wire = working

so the modem works on mine but not his but my modem works on his

iain_herts
12-06-2004, 19:36
on the fone with some1 called daniel on hold at mo

iain_herts
12-06-2004, 19:44
well got to go bk down there and put it all bk and get uncle to fone in and get some1 out