PDA

View Full Version : diallers and spyware

Halcyon
08-06-2004, 01:21
Two little questions if I may....

1) Are broadband customors affected by premium rate dialers or am I right its only dial up users that are at risk ?

2) I use Adaware, but have heard of "Spywareblaster".
Is this an alternative to Adaware, is it any good ? Is it spyware/bugged/advert ridden?, or am I safe to use it. Or do I even need it if I use adaware. Would the two clash ?

Thanks for the info.

Tim.

Paul
08-06-2004, 01:36
1) Are broadband customors affected by premium rate dialers or am I right its only dial up users that are at risk ?

If you have a modem connected to your pc you are at risk from them.

Graham
08-06-2004, 01:37
Two little questions if I may....

You're only at risk if you have a dial-up modem installed as the dialers attempt to hijack that, disconnect you from your usual call and try to "phone home" at expensive rates.

If you don't have the modem, they can't call out.

2) I use Adaware, but have heard of "Spywareblaster".
Is this an alternative to Adaware, is it any good ? Is it spyware/bugged/advert ridden?, or am I safe to use it. Or do I even need it if I use adaware. Would the two clash ?

I'm not familiar with Spyware Blaster. I use Adaware and I've not had any problems with it.

I believe it's possible for two such programs to clash, but I dont know the details.

Halcyon
08-06-2004, 15:27
Ok thankyou.

I dont have a modem hooked up so i won't worry of any hijacks dialling in.

Chris W
08-06-2004, 15:30
spyware blaster is about prevention rather than treatment; ad aware will allow spyware/ malware etc to infect the pc, and then you can scan for it afterwards.

spywareblaster will prevent most spyware from infecting the computer in the first place.

I use a combination of spyware blaster and adaware on my pc.

more info and download here: http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html

hth

EDIT: there are no conflicts between adaware and spywareblaster