PDA

View Full Version : help handyman please

handyman
23-07-2003, 21:40
In dire situation, major virus attack and am running only in safe mode. Although my packard bell restore floppy is not working and the support site is down, or not able to be accessed from my pc. can some one email be a restore floppy?

I will be very gratfull

Its a igo xp1900 by the way although when i created my last disk there was a util that made them for most versions.

thanks again :)

[edit] maybe you can get on to here (http://www.packardbell.co.uk/support/node221.asp) ??? i cannot.

Marge
23-07-2003, 21:48
Handyman, you can borrow my pathetic PC while I'm on holiday if you want :erm:

handyman
23-07-2003, 21:48
recovery disk is what it says on it, the disk it self is busted but i made a copy from the util on the pb site but that does not work in my time of trouble. Remember trying everything before to get the master cd's to run without the floppy to no avail. :cry:

Tricky
23-07-2003, 21:51
Do you have the original OS CD? (Some OS's will allow you to boot from the CD and then select "Repair").

handyman
23-07-2003, 21:52
Originally posted by Debsy42
Handyman, you can borrow my pathetic PC while I'm on holiday if you want :erm:

cheers for the offer debs but this pc will be up and running in a hour our so once I can get a disk.

On a ligher note bd has now got a pc again, i have managed to scrape together a fairly decent one and had it on broadband. When i get this junk recovering from the master cd I will sort the gfx drivers and sound on it and hopefully have it all finished for when he comes back in tonight. He'll be capped I think.

Still have the headache thought :(

imback
23-07-2003, 21:52
Originally posted by handyman
recovery disk is what it says on it, the disk it self is busted but i made a copy from the util on the pb site but that does not work in my time of trouble. Remember trying everything before to get the master cd's to run without the floppy to no avail. :cry:

I have just replied on .com but it looks like you have more interest here :D

I have checked and the Packard Bell site seems your only hope but it is down. Would not just any boot disk do? I mean a generic 98 one or whatever OS you got?

But, if you have net access to post here then you are just as likely as us to find one.:confused:

handyman
23-07-2003, 21:55
Originally posted by Tricky
Do you have the original OS CD? (Some OS's will allow you to boot from the CD and then select "Repair").

Nope its was pre-installed with xp on a partion, on the desk top was a icon that burnt me 2x master cd's. You run the recovery floppy and insert the cd's.

I have a copies of various o/s but i want to keep to the copy of xp:home that came with the pc, plus it has all the software and drivers on it and leaves the pc in a just from the shop state ready to go.

try as I could I could not get the master cd's to do anything without the floppy.

imback
23-07-2003, 22:00
Originally posted by Andre
http://koti.mbnet.fi/~nibz/bootdisks/boot98se.exe

But he has XP, I was just using 98 as an example, I know where to find generic boot disks:confused: :D

Just asking if that would do before I botherd, but by the sounds of it he needs the packard bell one.

dozysplot
23-07-2003, 22:10
He needs a specific Packard bell boot floppy to access the cd's/hidden partition

Packard Bell operate on a hidden partition principle. They come with the hidden partition to begin with but when you burn the cd's the partition is deleted. When you boot with the floppy it searches for the partition , when it doesn't find that it asks for the cd's. You can't access the cd's with a generic windows boot disc

steve
pcworld techie

dozysplot
23-07-2003, 22:30
i've had a look around at home, i havn't got a copy of the floppy creator for pack bells.

i can get it tomorrow at work or as soon as the pb website comes back up

if you can access master cd 1 you can create one yourself though....

as i remember if you go into the folder "drivers" , somewhere in a sub folder in there is a program called mkmcdbf.bat . This should create you your BF

If your really desperate, any Pcworld should be able to make you one at the C untstomer services Department :)

Hope this helps

:D

Mantastic
23-07-2003, 23:01
Originally posted by dozysplot

C untstomer services Department :)

Ummmmmmm dozysplot...Is that a type error :LOL:

dozysplot
23-07-2003, 23:14
Originally posted by Mantastic
Ummmmmmm dozysplot...Is that a type error :LOL:

I don't know HOW you could think otherwise

:angel: :angel: :angel: :angel: :angel:

handyman
23-07-2003, 23:30
Originally posted by dozysplot

if you can access master cd 1 you can create one yourself though....

as i remember if you go into the folder "drivers" , somewhere in a sub folder in there is a program called mkmcdbf.bat . This should create you your BF

There was indeedy, restoring now :)

Cheers matey ur a star.

I wont **** off pcworld on the forum now :rolleyes:

dozysplot
24-07-2003, 22:23
Originally posted by handyman
I wont **** off pcworld on the forum now :rolleyes:

:D :D :D

I'll hold you to that!!!!!!

:D :D :D

Lord Nikon
25-07-2003, 02:58
a PC World techie that knows how to use a PC... you are in the minority....

My local PC World - purchased a couple of items on a trade account, took 3 techs to produce the invoice, in the meantime there was another tech trying to work out why an encyclopaedia wouldn't work on XP when the box said Win95 or higher...

(simple answer, the encyc was written to use java based browsing through it... and guess what the vanilla XP install doesn't have?)

albone
25-07-2003, 20:04
Well done pc world! they do have some peeps that know what is needed, even if the other half are a wee bit thick. Still they have helped me out on the odd occasion, but it does vary from shop to shop.:D

dozysplot
25-07-2003, 21:47
Originally posted by albone
......but it does vary from shop to shop.:D

Thats pretty much it in a nutshell, The test i sat to join as a techie involved installing a cdrom drive and sitting a 20 question test with questions like

What 2 keys are normally associated with getting into bios?

a. F sharp & B Major
or
b F2 & del

:rolleyes:

Suffice to say there are a lot of thickos out there but there are the odd few of us who can turn on a PC when forced to...

Delta Whiskey
29-07-2003, 13:37
I was wondering if they still use Sisoft Sandra as the basis of their £40 Healthcheck like they did back in June 2000.