PDA

View Full Version : What's the closest to death (or serious injury) you've come without being injured?

Tricky
23-07-2003, 20:22
Played golf today (nice to get a break from work) and some t****r shouted "Four" just as his ball clipped the peak of my baseball cap - I was probably about 240 yards away from him at the time and the ball was on it's way down.

That was close! could have claimed it messed up my game but I was on the 17th!

So without getting too graphic what's happened to you...

paulyoung666
23-07-2003, 20:26
take your pick from these , suspected heart attack that proved to be a virus , near total liver failure , falling off a ladder fom 20 foot up and grazing the side of a brick built gate post , 4" closer and that would have been it , oh do i live an eventful life , not to mention the kidney stones where i thought i was gettting my insides ripped out with a red hot poker , like i said take your pick :p :p :p

Bifta
23-07-2003, 20:36
nearly 50mph into a concrete post outside the station in Farnham, Surrey, car was total wreck, we were totally uninjured.

Jerrek
23-07-2003, 20:48
My friends thought it would be funny to tie my hands behind my back (which I guess it was to them...), until one accidently pushed me into the pool.

Pritch
23-07-2003, 21:00
Cycling home from work one night, crossing an otherwise empty road in Swansea (I even waited for the lights to change so I could cross!) and I heard something approaching fast. Someone in his shiny new Subaru Impreza comes round the corner, spots the red light and jams the brakes on, managing to lock up the rear of the car, taking out half the signs on the traffic island in the middle of the junction and coming to a stop about 3' away from me.

Blimey.

Mark W
23-07-2003, 21:06
ummm...

was brought up in a war zone (lebanon) so ill be here all night if i recounted all the close scrapes there, so other than that -

came off a motoX bike, wearing only tshirt, shorts and raybans - the bike was nice enough to crush me againsed the concrete wall on the far bend of the corner - spent 2 months in hospital.

had a few close scrapes at sea, including a large fire and a near capsize (on a 10,000 tonne dredger).

oh, and i suppose getting knifed in hull, if the bloke and been a bit handier with the stanly knife id have been in big trouble....

me? a walking talking disaster area? you have no idea :D

darant
23-07-2003, 22:15
I died a couple of times just after I was born. Revived via machines. I had major diffilculties in my Respiratory system.....

Does that count?

paulyoung666
23-07-2003, 22:16
Originally posted by darant
I died a couple of times just after I was born. Revived via machines. I had major diffilculties in my Respiratory system.....

Does that count?

it counts in my book ;)

Tricky
23-07-2003, 22:16
Originally posted by darant

Does that count?

Too Right - and far too close if you ask me...Nice to see you're here now though...

darant
23-07-2003, 22:38
Originally posted by Tricky
Too Right - and far too close if you ask me...Nice to see you're here now though...

cheers tricky :D

timewarrior2001
23-07-2003, 22:45
My heart beat was lost during my birth.
Also came off a MotoX bike flat out on a 250cc Honda. Went over the handlebars, shorts n t-shirt on. Landed on a gravel track at my uncles farm......lost all skin on fingertips, forearms and palms.....legs were untouched.
Touched a live wire and got thrown across my bedroom.
Mate nearly drove off a cliff in the North Yorkshire national park.
It was dark, the road was a slight incline, no signs or barriers, we stopped literally a foot from the edge.

Chris
23-07-2003, 23:15
Changing a driver's-side tyre on the hard shoulder of the M1. Never again. :eek:

darkangel
23-07-2003, 23:21
Originally posted by Mark W
ummm...

was brought up in a war zone (lebanon) so ill be here all night if i recounted all the close scrapes there, so other than that -

came off a motoX bike, wearing only tshirt, shorts and raybans - the bike was nice enough to crush me againsed the concrete wall on the far bend of the corner - spent 2 months in hospital.

had a few close scrapes at sea, including a large fire and a near capsize (on a 10,000 tonne dredger).

oh, and i suppose getting knifed in hull, if the bloke and been a bit handier with the stanly knife id have been in big trouble....

me? a walking talking disaster area? you have no idea :D where in the lebanon? i was there for a bit with the UN

darkangel
23-07-2003, 23:27
take ur pick been nearly killed with a mortar that killed 2 other men, been shot twice first time in the thigh a few inches to the left and i would have less children now, second bullet hit me in the back chipping two bones in my spine.
also nearly the sultan of oman wanted to behead me for sleeping with one of his wifes, how was i to know he had 100's of em ended up doing a couple of months for that one & missed a patrol that killed three lads from my unit

Ramrod
23-07-2003, 23:40
At the age of 7 I set a small fire in the garage, next to the car, the petrol tank to be exact:D . My dad spotted me before I managed to put a decent amount of wood on the (intended) bonfire:cool: :D . No. I'm not an arsonist.
Around the same time, on a friends farm, in the RSA I jumped off a cliff into a river. Luckily for me I hit the water with my knees bent ie. my lower legs horizontal and providing a 'belly flop' effect. About a foot below the surface was a flat rock ledge that I bruised my shins on:eek: . If I had hit that with straight legs from that height I would have been having many years of surgery.
I must have a guardian angel:)

Ramrod
23-07-2003, 23:42
Originally posted by darkangel
take ur pick been nearly killed with a mortar that killed 2 other men, been shot twice first time in the thigh a few inches to the left and i would have less children now, second bullet hit me in the back chipping two bones in my spine.
also nearly the sultan of oman wanted to behead me for sleeping with one of his wifes, how was i to know he had 100's of em ended up doing a couple of months for that one & missed a patrol that killed three lads from my unit
Ladies and gentlemen.....I give you.....the winner:D

Mark W
23-07-2003, 23:52
where in the lebanon? i was there for a bit with the UN

lol, in a number of places - got bombed out of 4 houses...

beirut, chekka, jounehi and a place in the mountains called ashrafye

Bifta
24-07-2003, 00:07
I want an award for just living over here (just kidding) only a couple of weeks ago there was a 1000lb bomb in a van just up the road, last week I was caught up in a bomb scare outside the BBC in Belfast, over the last 30 years my mrs has lost count of the times bombs have gone off in adjacent shops while she was forced into searching her own premises, or blast bombs outside their house, or pipe bombs inside or petrol bombs outside or handguns being f*cked over the fence (not really dangerous as such but you wouldn't really like finding two weapons in your back garden that the brits are hunting for)

darkangel
24-07-2003, 00:40
Originally posted by Bifta
(not really dangerous as such but you wouldn't really like finding two weapons in your back garden that the brits are hunting for) whats that supposed to mean m8

darkangel
24-07-2003, 01:06
lol, in a number of places - got bombed out of 4 houses...

beirut, chekka, jounehi and a place in the mountains called ashrafye jounieh u spelt i wrong i think, can't remeber which way round these go but my unit went to, klour then to adonis,bhamdoun,blat,adamchit, dar badchtar,ktar hasir then to chekka

dieselking
24-07-2003, 01:15
When i was born, there were difficulties at the birth & I stopped breathing a few times. If I hadn't have been born in a hospital, I've probably would have died at birth. Does this count??

Stuart
24-07-2003, 01:31
The closest I have been was a car crash. My friend was driving his astra along a road in London. I was the passenger. The car hit us at (according to the police) over 70 MPH. The other car hit us in the side, directly behind me (the jacket I was wearing actually got jammed between the back of the the seat and the exterior of the car (bit between the front and rear passenger side doors). It hit with enough force that not only did it break both doors, but tore my seat off it's rails (actually, it tore the rails from the floor). Our car was thrown off the carriageway and landed on a grass verge.

If it had hit a couple of inches nearer the front, I would have severe trouble walking now.

Luckily, apart from a leather jacket that I had tear to get out, I was not physically affected.. Neither was my friend (apart from a bruise where he banged his head on the steering wheel).

Mark W
24-07-2003, 01:39
jounieh u spelt i wrong i think, can't remeber which way round these go but my unit went to, klour then to adonis,bhamdoun,blat,adamchit, dar badchtar,ktar hasir then to chekka

lol, no you spelt it right :) were you there when the israilies bombed the UN base at Qana? (for those of you unaware of the atrocity the story can be found here (http://www.time.com/time/international/1996/960520/qana.html) - off topic i know - but its well worth a read if you think they are the innocent victims they try to portray themselves as ):afire:

homealone
24-07-2003, 01:42
Originally posted by dieselking
When i was born, there were difficulties at the birth & I stopped breathing a few times. If I hadn't have been born in a hospital, I've probably would have died at birth. Does this count??

no - 'cause if you died "you" won't be posting ?

of course I really mean I love you - I'm glad you survived!

ZrByte
24-07-2003, 04:35
serious injury eh? does nearly losing your right eye on the tip of a fountain pen Count??
About four years ago in highschool me and a friend where messing around pretending to fight, I pretended to headbutt him so he pulled his fountain pen up in defence (The Pen is mightier than the sword eh?? :spin: ) I stoped so close to the tip of the pen it touched my eyeball and my eyelids pulled the pen outta his fingers when I pulled my head back quickly. If he had moved his hand upwards even a couple of millimeters or if I had not have stopped as quick as I did I would either be blind in one eye or I would only have one real eye now :eek:
Infact thinking about it if he had slightly tighter hold of that pen he could have torn my eyelid when I pulled my head back, Now while that is not one of the most serious injouries here it certainly has an ouch factor to it :D

On a lighter note my sister nearly got Ran over by an ambulance once, stopped Just as it came into contact with her leg, knocked her over but I think She threw herself over really (Outta shock or summet).

Oh and once I crashed my pushbike into a parked Van (Dont ask :D hehe) came away with only a minor cut on my elbow, not bad really since I scraped along the road when I bounced off the side of the van and continued to do so for a good 5 meters or so. The Bike was in worse condition than me, Bent the HAndle bar, front brake wouldnt work, Ripped a peddal off, and totaly fubar the paintwork.

darkangel
24-07-2003, 08:24
lol, no you spelt it right :) were you there when the israilies bombed the UN base at Qana? (for those of you unaware of the atrocity the story can be found here (http://www.time.com/time/international/1996/960520/qana.html) - off topic i know - but its well worth a read if you think they are the innocent victims they try to portray themselves as ):afire: no bit late for me i was there in 78 & 79, i've have not doubt that this was a deliberate attack by the Israelis for several reasons firstly Israel has an excellent intelligence service nobody could convince me that they did know about anything that goes on, also personal experience with their tactics of attacking refugee camps and UN personal tells me that nothing has changed in Israel the Israelis have always justified attacking refugees camps by the fact that elements of rebel units have used them as cover and as a recruiting ground

altis
24-07-2003, 12:27
Earlier this year I visited the Mediacast exhibition in London. My route from Warrington to Docklands took me along the A14. This is not my favourite road. It's a dual carriageway with two lanes on each side in seems to be populated alternately by lorries that take miles to overtake each other and irritated car drivers that otherwise drive well in excess of the speed limit. About 30 miles along it, I was in the outside lane doing maybee 65mph following a rigid (non-articulated) lorry. Behind me, at a normal sort of distance, was a car and behind him, at a greater distance was a police Volvo. That's more sensible, I thought, so I backed off slowly from the lorry. I was just overtaking an articulated lorry when it suddenly scrunched up - like Basil Brush when angry. I usually get irritated by drivers who brake because they see brake lights in the next lane but there was something about the way that the artic behaved that I didn't like so I braked too. As the lorry ahead of me pulled away I suddenly saw a load of stationary traffic in the left hand lane. By now the artic was sliding forwards engulfed in black smoke. There obviously wasn't enough room for him to stop so I braked hard as well. Then the cab started twisting to the right. OMG he's going to jack-knife with me in the middle! Somehow he controlled the slide and stayed travelling forwards in his own lane. Finally, with no road left, he let go of the brakes and the cab hopped right into my lane. Moments later the trailer flicked right about two feet in front of my bumper - and two foot six in front of me! Phew - that was close. I didn't see or hear anything else but when I looked back in my mirror I saw that everything else had stopped and I was the last one through the gap. I'm not sure what happened to the car behind me - perhaps the police car shunted him. Keep your eyes peeled on Police Camera Action.

My work often involves attending piling rigs on construction sites. These visits have produced a few close shaves. I once stepped backwards out of a cab on to the caterpilar tracks that weren't there - I fell to the ground scraping my back on the edge of the slewed tracks. I was once standing behind the mast on a winch drum. The driver forgot I was there and suddenly it started to move. Fortunately it turned in the right direction and I was able to step off to the side. If it had been the other way, my feet would have been jammed in. On another occasion, I was standing beside a rig. My toolbox was sat on the tracks and I was working on a connector. The driver started to lift some weights and I felt the tracks move. I looked down and noticed that my toes were in a gap underneath the tracks. Luckily, they were moving up and not down.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/altisuk/temp/sml_2586.jpg (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/altisuk/temp/lrg_2586.jpg)

alan.ralskey
24-07-2003, 12:42
i got ran over by a push bike when i was 5.

i also fell out of my pram and landed on my head at 8 months

Nidge
24-07-2003, 12:55
About 10 years ago I was involved in a Motorbike accident with a lorry, it pulled out in front of me on a dual carriageway, I didn't feel any pain because I didn't know what was going on I was out cold. I had an exprience that I'll never forget, I was being pulled into what I can only discribe as a very bright light, I did not feel any pain it was a wonderul relaxing feeling something I'll never experience again, it was like I was floating on air. When I came round a few days later I was hooked up to machines helping me with my breathing and the pain was a killer, the doctor said to me when I came round, we had to bring you back twice you were going big time. Is that close enough????

cjll3
25-07-2003, 20:57
Sitting on the stands that collapsed during the filming of "Its a Knockout".

Steve H
25-07-2003, 21:14
Not really had that many Near Death Experiances..

Got Herry a Berried down a hill, by my mates... Broke my arm and was knocked out for about 30 minutes... The next day they did it exactly the same to my mate, and he had pretty much the same injuries as well.

Been in a coupla car crashes, none serious.. But we got bumped on the way back from holiday today, in the back of our van by another van. Luckily (I think) we had a bike rack on the back, stopped any major damage to the van. My bike was totalled though, Frames all crumpled :( No one was hurt tho.

Jonboy
25-07-2003, 22:58
got a bullet thru my beret whilst on street patrol in nother ireland top of the new lodge road and have had 4 heart attacks so far:eek:

Ramrod
26-07-2003, 00:19
Originally posted by Jonboy
have had 4 heart attacks so far:eek: Watch your diet m8:eek:

Steve H
26-07-2003, 00:22
My dad had 2 Heart Attacks.. He used to eat alot of fatty foods, and he smoked pretty heavily (roll ups)..

He changed his diet, Now he's pretty much a vegan, and he stopped smoking.. 2 years laters he's as fit as ever.

albone
26-07-2003, 16:00
My ownly near miss was when the wheel of my bicycle got caught in a rut by the side of a very busy road, fortunately for me I went over the handlebars onto the pavement and ended up with very gritty painfully grazed shins and knees! it took weeks to heal and the grit was painful as it all had to be tweezered off!:spin: