PDA

View Full Version : NTL Broadband Medic

scot
04-06-2004, 17:39
When I connected today, a pop-up window offered this free "superior replacement" for Correct Connect. :cool:

May I suggest caution in accepting this offer, as a result of my attempts.
I'd be interested in reading about more-experienced members' findings. :confused:

With my 300kB (?) connection, the whole process took me about an hour. There are three separate exe files to download and open, the last one of which takes many minutes and has a "time remaining" counter which actually increases. The licence for some third-party software grants extensive background sending and receiving rights to NTL. One of my protection programmes warned of a "serious registry change" at one stage. The end result is a window which appears when clicking an icon. It says "Broadband Medic is loading, please wait..." ... and nothing else happens. I tried downloading/installing once from the pop-up window, and then from the NTL website link, with the same result. :banghead:

When I used GoBack to revert to a time prior to this mess, it crashed each time I started to scroll back - has never done that before. I got around that by switching to yesterday's date. Can't praise GoBack enough - great parachute! Finally, I had to switch-off the cable modem a couple of times before getting any Internet Explorer sites, although all the LEDs seemed to be normal. :shrug:

th'engineer
04-06-2004, 17:51
Good old NTL software you can rely on it as always

Chris W
04-06-2004, 17:58
When I connected today, a pop-up window offered this free "superior replacement" for Correct Connect. :cool:

May I suggest caution in accepting this offer, as a result of my attempts.
I'd be interested in reading about more-experienced members' findings. :confused:

With my 300kB (?) connection, the whole process took me about an hour. There are three separate exe files to download and open, the last one of which takes many minutes and has a "time remaining" counter which actually increases. The licence for some third-party software grants extensive background sending and receiving rights to NTL. One of my protection programmes warned of a "serious registry change" at one stage. The end result is a window which appears when clicking an icon. It says "Broadband Medic is loading, please wait..." ... and nothing else happens. I tried downloading/installing once from the pop-up window, and then from the NTL website link, with the same result. :banghead:

When I used GoBack to revert to a time prior to this mess, it crashed each time I started to scroll back - has never done that before. I got around that by switching to yesterday's date. Can't praise GoBack enough - great parachute! Finally, I had to switch-off the cable modem a couple of times before getting any Internet Explorer sites, although all the LEDs seemed to be normal. :shrug:

no such thing as a 300k connection on ntl... it will be either 150k or 600k

anyway... try uninstalling the bbmedic completely and and also correct connect from the add/remove programs if it is there, and then downloading bbmedic again from the website.

To uninstall bbmedic completely:

1. Bring up the Task Manager [press CTRL, ALT and DELETE at the same time]

End task on Motive related processes:
MotiveSB.exe
MotiveBrowser.exe
MOTIVE~1.EXE
mad.exe

2. Right click on the broadband medic icon in the Task tray, by the clock, and select Close.

3. Click on Start > Run > type the following %temp% press OK

Select the ntl folder that appears in the temp folder, Right click and delete.

4. Go to the †˜Common Filesââ‚ƚ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢ folder by opening Windows Explorer (Press Windows key and the †˜Eââ ‚¬â„Ã⠀šÃ‚¢) or Double click †˜My Computerââ‚à ƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢, then go the C: drive, Program files, expand the Common files and look for the Motive folder. Right click and select delete.

MB

scot
04-06-2004, 18:42
Good old NTL software you can rely on it as always

to be fair - I have never had any problems with either the previous dial-up or this BB software. there have been the occasional slow-downs and the odd, one or two hour, black hole - but nobody's perfect.
Also, the couple of Service Support lads I have telephoned were excellent, which is a big plus. :clap:

scot
04-06-2004, 20:35
no such thing as a 300k connection on ntl... it will be either 150k or 600k

Thanks for your helpful advice (I'm filing it away in case I dabble with this again). :)
Actually, reverting my HD with GoBack restored it to the state it was in before any BB Medic software was downloaded, so I don't need to get further embroiled. ;)
The 300k refers to NTL's claim to have doubled the BB rates recently. Can't say I have noticed that much improvement - my originally 150kb download speeds have only increased from around 14-17kB/sec to 16-19kB/sec. :cry:

Mick
04-06-2004, 20:45
The 300k refers to NTL's claim to have doubled the BB rates recently. Can't say I have noticed that much improvement - my originally 150kb download speeds have only increased from around 14-17kB/sec to 16-19kB/sec. :cry:

Hi Scot, its because the speed increase has not occured yet. :)

Chris W
04-06-2004, 20:46

The upgrades have been announced, but not yet implemented... you will notice an increase when they are. "late summer"... watch this space ;)

did you get medic installed in the end or did you give up?

MB

scot
05-06-2004, 18:45
The upgrades have been announced, but not yet implemented... you will notice an increase when they are. "late summer"... watch this space ;)

did you get medic installed in the end or did you give up?

MB

:erm: To tell the truth, I have decided to abandon my "fools rush in" tactics in favour of becoming an "angel" (read chicken!) for a little while, to see how others get on.
However, I see we obstinate ones are going to be barraged with "offer reminders" each day.
Now how can I convey my opinion on that? :ninja:
I guess my download speed increase must be due to the power of positive thinking.
Can't wait to see how much it actually will increase. Thanks for the good news, Mick, and Monkeybreath. :waving:

th'engineer
06-06-2004, 07:31
The upgrades have been announced, but not yet implemented... you will notice an increase when they are. "late summer"... watch this space ;) MB
Which late summer 2004 2005 2006

scot
06-06-2004, 13:55
Having browsed the other forums (v. the links below), I think I will stick with my present Correct Connect and, when I reinstall, I will do it the clean, mean way without even the CD. :smokin:

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=10415

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=13253

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=7603%20%20%20(NTHell)

Now if only I can scupper that Offer Reminder ! :upyours: