PDA

View Full Version : XP service Pack 2

Nidge
23-07-2003, 15:49
Is there a service pack 2 out yet for XP??

Nemesis
23-07-2003, 15:52
Not that I'm aware of, although lots of little patches ...:mad:

TigaSefi
23-07-2003, 16:34
It coming soon. Bout another 3-4 months maybe and then ppl can start beta testing.

Nidge
23-07-2003, 17:42
Sorted it thanks.

Tricky
23-07-2003, 18:25
There is a service pack 1a - not sure if it's general release yet but i've certainly had it on a Technet subscription.

ic14
23-07-2003, 19:30
Service pack 1a gets rid off the M$ Java VM, so if you install it you have to grab JAVA from sun.com

kronas
23-07-2003, 19:32
or just d/l the ms java files off the net...............

Defiant
23-07-2003, 19:42
Their is a SP2 but its only in beta format at the mo so I'd guess the finished acticle should be in a month or so

kronas
20-08-2003, 02:43
without wanting to start a new thread i thought i would post this here

microsoft has announced that the windows xp service pack 2 will be released in 2004 NOT 2003 as originally thought

http://www.betanews.com/article.php3?sid=1060997150

Lord Nikon
20-08-2003, 03:35
Don't forget the Q815411 patch which WILL be part of SP2 - fixes a memory allocation error INTRODUCED by Sp1 which can cause programs to take up to 10 TIMES LONGER to load

timewarrior2001
20-08-2003, 09:08
Starts gibbering in the corner

Please no dont tell me the XP service packs are going the same way as NT service packs!!!!

The amount of hassle I had trying to roll back to SP4 on NT4 when I had installed SP6 and it bolloxed up the server for dialing up the internet.
I searched for weeks finding the right SP to get the problem fixed and not mess up associated files at the same time.

kronas
12-12-2003, 20:32
MS have announced it is to start beta testing service pack 2 now and it hopes to have several hundred thousand beta testers by the end of the year

it features support for bluetooth 1.1 and a wireless lan connectivity client as well as internet explorer popup blocking features and security improvements

http://www.computerworld.com/softwaretopics/os/story/0,10801,88170,00.html?f=x10

Ramrod
21-02-2004, 16:23
From neowin (http://www.neowin.net/) today: Changes to Functionality in Microsoft Windows XP SP2
Posted by Voodoo on 21 Feb 2004 - 13:56 CET | 12 Comments

Overview
In Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2, Microsoft is introducing a set of security technologies that will help to improve the ability of Windows XP-based computers to withstand malicious attacks from viruses and worms. The technologies include network protection, memory protection, safer e-mail handling, more secure browsing, and improved computer maintenance.

Together, these security technologies will help to make it more difficult to attack Windows XP, even if the latest updates are not applied. These security technologies together are particularly useful in mitigation against worms and viruses.
This document specifically focuses on the changes between earlier versions of Windows XP and Windows XP Service Pack 2 and reflects Microsoftâ₠¬â„¢s early thinking about Service Pack 2 and its implications for developers. Examples and details are provided for several of the technologies that are experiencing the biggest changes. Future versions of this document will cover all new and changed technologies.

MadGamer
21-02-2004, 16:38
They said it will be released in the first half of 2004. When is that? The summer?

Stuart
21-02-2004, 16:44
Well, I am on the MS XP SP2 beta program. Apart from a couple of problems (the Virus Scan console bombs out, and so does 3Dmark03 when testing the machine), and Windows Update v5 not having anywhere near a complete set of updates, it is brilliant.

The main advantage for me is the pop up/under blocking that IE now has. It seems far more reliable than any of the pop up stoppers I have used in the past, and can be configured to ignore certain sites. I also like the way that the plugins installation dialog now has a "never trust software from this provider option" (previously, you had the option to trust all software, allow one installation or stop installation).

Another thing that has been added, which I am unsure whether it is good or bad (could be both, depending how it is used) is an "Execution Protection" system. Basically, you can prevent "incompatible and non-secure" software from running. Now, this could stop viruses running , but it could also prevent non-commercial software running (freeware). I can't actually test the feature as it requires support in the CPU to run (which my Athlon XP2000 doesn't have). As with the other features, it is configurable, and can be disabled.

Sociable
21-02-2004, 16:49
They said it will be released in the first half of 2004. When is that? The summer?

Expected date is May I believe but as always this will depend on the results of the beta testing now underway and the inevitable tweaking and retesting that will entail.

So Yes "Summer" is likely but not certain.

snuffs99
22-02-2004, 03:18
i too have the beta version and TBH it was on for about a day before removal. It totally beggered IE6 which i couldn't re-install because the version you can get hold of from M$ is older than the IE update in SP2 and windows just kept telling me that the version i was installing was older than the previous one. Removed all traces of SP2 from registry still no luck.
The firewall blocked my every turn whilst trying to browse and certain freeware would not run. :(
oh and the new copyright protection thing in WMP wasn't for me.

But each to there own.

deadite66
22-02-2004, 03:29
well appart from sp1 and a few media player patchs i haven't installed anymore, twice i've tried to install them after i had to reinstall xp and both times they killed windows.
so i'm waiting for sp2 now.

kronas
22-02-2004, 08:03
oh and the new copyright protection thing in WMP wasn't for me.

the new 'future' updates for media player 9 are going to block certain files from being played, this includes mp3 and DVD files, this is why you should never apply updates to media player or any component that media player uses, unless its a security update, even then you have to scrutinise the updates.

having said that, i use media player 8 and i have no intentions of updating on windows xp, its perfectly fine why change.......

Stuart
22-02-2004, 10:31
the new 'future' updates for media player 9 are going to block certain files from being played, this includes mp3 and DVD files, this is why you should never apply updates to media player or any component that media player uses, unless its a security update, even then you have to scrutinise the updates.

having said that, i use media player 8 and i have no intentions of updating on windows xp, its perfectly fine why change.......Microsoft would be stupid if they did that. People will just go for a competing Media Player.

Anyway, Media Player 8 doesn't play either MP3s or DVD files without add ons.

Oh, and snuffs99, what copyright protection thing? If you mean Digital Rights Management, that's been in WMP since at least version 7 (possibly even 6.4), and can be turned off for CDs you rip anyway.

Stuartbe
22-02-2004, 10:40
Microsoft would be stupid if they did that. People will just go for a competing Media Player.

Anyway, Media Player 8 doesn't play either MP3s or DVD files without add ons.

Oh, and snuffs99, what copyright protection thing? If you mean Digital Rights Management, that's been in WMP since at least version 7 (possibly even 6.4), and can be turned off for CDs you rip anyway.

I gave up on media player a while ago. I purchased the full version of real player and the tv add on. Never looked back !!!

Stuart
22-02-2004, 10:42
I gave up on media player a while ago. I purchased the full version of real player and the tv add on. Never looked back !!!
Don't get me started about Real Player (especially RP One).

I support an installation of nearly 300 copies at work, and we have major problems with it every year when we re-install the PCs...

Stuartbe
22-02-2004, 10:46
Don't get me started about Real Player (especially RP One).

I support an installation of nearly 300 copies at work, and we have major problems with it every year when we re-install the PCs...

I admit that it can be a bit of a bugger and tends to take over if you let it. The updates can be awkward to. I find that using customer install gets round most of this......

I cant see people dropping media player though. I wonder what will hapen if they start blocking mp3's ect. Media player allready " Phones home " if you play a track from a cd (media rights not track info).....

Still - there's allways winamp if you like your pc being completely taken over :D

David25
22-02-2004, 11:09
Still - there's allways winamp if you like your pc being completely taken over :D

It's all about winamp lite ;)

ntl customer
22-02-2004, 13:13
Really ?! :eek:

Seems a bit pointless to me blocking certain types of files being played. Does this mean that WMP will only now accept DRM protected files only :rolleyes:

kronas
22-02-2004, 13:21
Really ?! :eek:

Seems a bit pointless to me blocking certain types of files being played. Does this mean that WMP will only now accept DRM protected files only :rolleyes:

yes, it wont totally block them but the media player will prevent some from being played, there was a link a while back about it, if i dig it out ill post it on here.

edit: this is the sort of thing

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/27232.html

keithwalton
22-02-2004, 13:30
indeed windows media player does like to phone home, almost everytime you start the thing it wants to. good thing zone alarm tells it where it can go shove it :-)
I havent got it on auto deny as sometimes oh so rarely i use it to stream videos but not very often

K